Flagellants Of Our Fathers: Scourge Of War bit

Why isn’t there a weedkiller called Scourge? Or a rat poison? Consider these baffling questions while downloading the 272mb hunk of grognard goodness that is the Scourge of War – Gettysburg demo. The game that picks up where the fine Take Commands left-off, appears to do a lot of things right. Anyone arriving dust-caked and sweaty from Napoleon Total War is likely to be disappointed by the sprite-based spectacle and feeble rifle reports, but bowled over by the wily multi-tiered Battle AI and the extraordinary courier system.

There’s only one single-player scenario included and that’s a brigade combat tutorial, meaning you don’t get to watch orders trickle all the way down the command chain getting lost and mangled on the way (a TC/SOW speciality). You do however get to beg assistance from fellow commanders with the aid of galloping messengers, and pit your wits against a Rebel opponent reassuringly expert in the art of flanking. Multiplayer, impossible in the Take Commands, is also there for the trialling.

1. A Rather Well-Endowed, Angry, Woman says:

The Civil War – The war in which America was nearly freed from the tyranny of the Federal Government.

• FhnuZoag says:

The Civil War – The war in which America was nearly freed from the tyranny of moral responsibility.

• scundoo says:

• Clovis says:

I dare anyone to read about the Civil War in any detail and not sort of root for the Rebels. Leaders like Stonewall Jackson and Lee are just so much more interesting and heroic than their Northern counterparts. Purely on a strategic level, I just want to see them win.

Moronic modern day racists only use the flag for racism, which only further confuses the reasoning for the war. Like RWEAW indicates, it didn’t have much to do with slavery.

Anywho, if you like military strategy, Jackson’s Tennessee Valley Campaign is worth looking into.

• cs says:

As I get older, I find my troll detection gets less accurate, so I have to content myself with chasing everyone off of my lawn and let God sort ’em out.

That being said, assuming you’re expressing a serious opinion about the causes of the American Civil War, I just have to helpfully point out that you are wrong. Slavery was the only cause of the war that mattered. No one was going to fight over tariffs. Cultural differences were many but the good ol’boys would have amused themselves with shooting just a few yankees before their natural laziness took over, if culture was the only reason.

But you look at the speeches given by southern politicians as a reason for secession, you’ll find they have an absolute terror that the North will take their slaves away and make the white people do an honest day’s work for a change. There’s nothing else that motivates them.

And just read a bit about how the crackers down south treated their unpaid labor and you’ll start to realize Sherman let ’em off easy. Even ol’ Saint Lee was an asshole who rounded up free blacks in Pennsylvania during the Gettysburg campaign and sent them off for forced labor down south, breaking up their families and destroying their farms. Sherman really should have shot every last one of those shiftless honkeys on his march to the sea, burned every last plantation and sowed the soil with salt.

• GYAD says:

Errr…you are aware that using words like ‘cracker’ is pretty racist, right?

I think its deeply simplistic to imagine the ACW was a monocausal event. There were a large number of factors that came into play. Certainly the emancipation of the slaves was one of them and an objective that played an increasingly important role in motivating the Protestant Yankee soldiery. Its more than that though, as most Southerners didn’t own a slave.

The amusing thing about the ACW is that the South got all the generals but the North got all the admirals. The North won largely because of seapower…

• Clovis says:

@ CS: Yeah, I’m completely a troll for thinking that the men who actually fought the Civil War did not do it because of slavery. I somehow don’t believe that the average poor, non-slave owning southern citizen turned out in huge numbers because they really loved slavery. Slavery was clearly the only cause, you got me. There was no other tension between the North and the South. They were not operating as two different cultures with greatly diverging ideas on the power of the federal government. I made all that up, because I was just trolling.

Slavery was a major catalyst for the war, but the North was not fighting to end slavery and the South was not fighting to keep it. The Emancipation Proclamation was mainly signed to stop foreign countries from supporting the South.

And it was good that Sherman took actions leading to the starvation of women and children? Are you a fan of the firebombings of Dresden and Tokyo? If your leaders decide to throw your country into a war, then it is perfectly ok to just kill ’em all?

It should be noted that outside of the military aspect of it, I’m obviously glad the South won. American slavery ended sooner and the South’s version of a weak Federal government would have never really worked all that well. It’s just too bad that Sherman/Reconstruction caused such long lasting negative effects on the South. Nah, just kidding, I’m just trolling again; Reconstruction was awesome!

Also, although I’m being a bit sarcastic, I don’t think you are a troll. I’m not sure why you would accuse others. Trolling a british gaming blog about the causes of the Civil War doesn’t even make sense.

• Lilliput King says:

“It should be noted that outside of the military aspect of it, I’m obviously glad the South won.”

Think you might need to hit the books again Clovis old buddy.

• cs says:

I know this is an old thread and my response probably won’t be seen but, hey, it’s the internet and I feel the intense need to speak up anyways. Someone on the internet is wrong and all that silliness.

Sorry Clovis about the trolling thing. I wasn’t seriously accusing you of trolling on this issue. I was actually being more defensive about myself getting so worked up about a historical issue which really doesn’t matter much these days. But, as an American raised in the South, I used to have an intense obsession with the war which has fortunately faded a bit these days now that drinking heavily provides a more productive hobby.

And I was too rushed regarding slavery and the reasons for war. The North clearly fought the war primarily to preserve the union and slavery, while it was something Lincoln wanted to end as soon as possible, was not the chief issue for him or most others in the government.

But for the South, there really is no other reason for the initial round of secession. Here’s a good quote for you:

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery– the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.
      A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union

Or perhaps this excerpt will amuse you:

Years ago I was convinced that the Southern States would be compelled either to separate from the North, by dissolving the Federal Government, or they would be compelled to abolish the institution of African Slavery. This, in my judgment, was the only alternative; and I foresaw that the South would be compelled, at some day, to make her selection. The day is now come, and Alabama must make her selection, either to secede from the Union, and assume the position of a sovereign, independent State, or she must submit to a system of policy on the part of the Federal Government that, in a short time, will compel her to abolish African Slavery.
      Speech of E. S. Dargan, in the Convention of Alabama, Jan. 11, 1861

There’s much more rhetoric of this sort, if you feel like reading pious white guys solemnly declaring the slavery of others as being key to their way of life. “Crackers” is really a useful term for this group, so no apologies offered to anyone so offended.

For the average Southern white boy, most of them had their identity wrapped up in slavery and racism as well. No matter how low their own position might fall, they at least were never as low as the slaves. They had their own ambitions of owning slaves one day even if they would probably never have the capital to do so. They thought this was an institution which could not be abolished without causing great destruction to their way of life. So they went along with the initial secession. Only in areas without any significant slaveholdings was there much pushback against secession. Places such as the Arkansas Ozarks, West Virginia (which seceded from Virginia to rejoin the union), and the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee.

Sure there were other motivations for Southerners to fight once the Northern invasions started, but the initial cause for the South was almost entirely slavery. The revisionism started after the war from Southerners who found they could not hold the moral high ground if they admitted the reasons why their noble leaders took their people to hell.

And you’re right. This is a silly subject for a UK gaming blog so I’ll stop bloviating and start drinking. Cheers.

2. TheBlackBandit says:

Ugh. After studying the Civil Rights Movement that flag only has negative connatations for me.

• leeder_krenon says:

there’s some dick who works in the same business park as me that has it on the roof of his car (some shitty fiat or something, i bet he exits through the window too)

• TheBlackBandit says:

What a bar-steward. Really, I could understand if it was the civil war or something but that’s just a sign of racism nowadays.. I bet he’s a bigot.

• RedFred says:

To throw yet another generalisation in the mix I’m going to guess he can’t fit though his car window.

• TheBlackBandit says:

Yeah, sorry, you’re right. I shouldn’t have made so many generalisations.

3. Elusiv3Pastry says:

Wow, I thought the use of sprites ended ages ago. Fascinating concept though with the courier system; I’m surprised this hasn’t been done before. Definitely going to give this a shot!

4. Vinraith says:

Graphics be damned, that looks absolutely spectacular. Does anyone know how the campaign system works in this and, for the matter, in Take Command? Is it a linear series of battles, a metamap, or something else? Is there continuity, that is does success and failure mean something beyond “restart the mission?”

5. scundoo says:

Excellent, will try it right away. This might be what Histwar was supposed to be like.

6. Heliocentric says:

Scourge is an insecticide containing mesrithin according to wiki. Nice journalism *Narrows eyes*.

7. Collic says:

Hmm, if this is sprite based does that mean we get a true a representation of numbers, rather than what the total war series does? I’d definitely be interested in that.

• Panzeh says:

If the other MMG civil war games are anything to go by, it’s not a 1:1 representation but a 1:10 representation, but it is representative.

8. Eliot says:

“If only the south had won, then women would know their place and keep their opinions to themselves.”

Oddly, southern women we’re in some respects “freer” than Northern women do to their importance as head of the household. When Sherman marched through Georgia and up into the Carolinas the men fled while the women stayed behind to defend the property. It was in the North that those Whiggish and paternalistic attitudes towards women prevailed. The cult of domesticity and the moral supremacy of the docile housewife was a decidedly Northern concept.

Weird era.

• Breaker Morant's Ghost says:

Shut up, you’re breaking people’s ignorant stereotypes!

9. Wilson says:

I’ve just played a bit of this, and while it looks very interesting, I wish they had a more basic tutorial. I can’t understand why they didn’t include the first tutorial as well, at least. Maybe another time I’ll be bothered to read through the help tool-tips myself to figure out how to control it, but I think they should have made more of an effort to make the demo easy to figure out, so people like me who aren’t familiar with the game can get into it easier.

10. Gurrah says:

This looks extraordinary. I felt there was something odd about those screenshots, some sort of cell shading with too much blur and anti-aliasing thrown in the mix, but sprites, I never would’ve guessed.

11. Jason Lefkowitz says:

From the demo installer:

“We HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT install to the Program Files folder. On certain operating systems you will be required to be logged in as administrator in order to run from there. Using our default install location, should avoid those issues.”

This is just appalling. Microsoft have been urging Windows developers to write software that works properly with restricted user permissions since the run-up to Windows 2000. The information on how to do it is free and easy to acquire. It’s 2010 and there are still developers out there who think that’s optional? FAIL.

• Vitamin Powered says:

Next you’ll be telling us that there’s some magical imaginary folder for programs to store their generated data. Let’s go one mad step further and call it Program Data!
      That’s not enough though, is it! What more do you want, folders for application data unique to each user?!? What kind of hellish magical place would that go? Users/_USER_IN_QUESTION_/AppData?!? ENOUGH OF YOUR MADNESS SIR!

12. Jimbo says:

I feel like this should have been made by Impressions. Getting awesome ‘The Blue & The Gray’ and ‘D-Day: The Beginning of the End’ memories from looking at these screenshots.

Observe: link to amr.abime.net

(Also, kinda awesome that game prices are the same or less than they were in 1994. In the same period, the average wage has gone up by ~50%… and the average house price ~300%)

13. neems says:

I’m surely not the only one who thinks those sprites look really good? I would say awesome, but I’m trying to cut down, I’m becoming a bit predictable.

• RedFred says:

Aww go on…

Awesome!

• neems says:

I have no self control (or indeed respect, but that’s another story…)

Those sprites look awesome.

14. Helm says:

Sprites read great and possibly better in movement (depending in how the animation is) than full 3d for the purposes of a strategy game.

15. Johnny says:

I just wish someone would make a good remake of Civil War Generals.

16. TC says:

I have just bought this, cant wait to get home and crack on with the multiplayer and maybe a couple of the 1st of July SP scenerios- holding back Hills Corps with the Iron Bridage and Bufords cavalry sounds like fun!

This game and others like it are why PC gaming are great

17. Nessin says:

@Clovis:
    Your first post did dismiss slavery as a minor issue. While you cleared it up in your second post, Slavery had a hell of a lot to do with the Civil War. Slavery (via the Emancipation Proclomation as you pointed out) did a whole lot to keep the South from recieving foreign support. Slavery was a huge chunk of the reason behind Northern support for the war. Slavery, if not the only cause, was the catalyst for the war. So on and so forth… Like I said, you were clear about it in your second post, but attacking someone for your blantant dismissal of it in your first post (which is what was written, regardless of actual intent) is ridiculous.

Furthermore, for all the hell Southerners given Sherman (and I was born and raised partly in the South) they’re all too happy to completely ignore how the South was perfectly willing to die a slow death taking many more soliders with them, and how Sherman only accomplished what he did because Johnston never fought back. Of course, it might have made no difference at all, but no one can know that for sure.

As for Reconstruction, it may not have been the best thing ever, but it was far better than almost any other completely conquered “nation” in history ever got. Complain about it all you want, but own up to the fact that regardless of personal feelings it was the better than anyone in the South could even imagine in the aftermath of the war.

18. GetOutOfHereStalker says:

can’t we just agree the south is a horrible place to be if you’re black/gay/atheist?

19. The Walker says:

I live in North Carolina, just within walking distance of the South Carolina border. It’s kind of bizarre; as soon as you cross into SC everything turns a little more grey, the restaurants all serve okra and green beans, and every other house is flying a confederate flag. Honestly? I’ve learned to love it. Especially the okra and green beans.

20. ghdshop says:

Thanks very much for sharing.
    Ghd hair straighteners are popular around the world for the superior quality and great performance. ghd iv styler are popular till now because of the high quality and world famous brand. Ghd straighteners must be a good assistance if you want to change your hair style.