Imbalanced: Cosmicube

Delightful girlfriend was NGamer's ball-controller specialist reviewer. Missus!

Creator Patrick Richardson mailed us to mention his Unity-powered ball manipulation game (Missus! – Election Editor), I tried to remember why I didn’t post it when Schizoslayer lobbed it at me via IM a couple of weeks ago. And then I remembered. I’m posting now, as there’s a neat minor aspect to it. Basically, the first person to beat the 25 levels – without losing their lives – gets their name permanently added to the front page. Which is neat. You can play it online here or download (For Mac or PC!) here. Schizo and I couldn’t get past the third level before getting distracted. BUT SOME OF YOU ARE MADE OF MASOCHIST AND CRAVE ETERNAL RECOGNITION*. Some footage follows.

*”Quinns”.

1. Richard Beer says:

Why do we spell it “Missus” when we say “Mrs”? Is it just some comedy convention that’s crept unnoticed into our language? As a fellow wordsmith I’m sure you wonder about these things as much as I do.

• jsutcliffe says:

@Richard Beer
      Apparently some people are too good to look things up on the Internet themselves :)
      “Mrs” originated as a contraction of the honorific “Mistress”, the feminine of “Mister” or “Master”, which was originally applied to both married and unmarried women. The split into “Mrs” for married women from “Ms” and “Miss” began during the 17th century. (Wikipedia)

• jsutcliffe says:

Bah! Why must the edit function steal my line breaks?

• Quasar says:

Wouldn’t ‘Mr’ work just as well for Mister or Master?

• Wulf says:

@jsutcliffe
      Handy trick I’ve learned: When editing a post on the forum, in the blank lines just put an (ampersand)nbsp; (even a blank alt+2>5>5 character might do it). When you finish the edit, the (ampersand)nbsp;s will separate everything up properly, so you’ll have paragraph both in the forum post and comments post.

• Vinraith says:

@Wulf

Thanks, I’d been trying to find some way to preserve line breaks after editing.

I’m pleased to see that this works.

• Richard Beer says:

@jsutcliffe I know perfectly well where Mrs came from without having to Google it! Perhaps I didn’t phrase myself clearly enough. Where did the word “Missus” come from? Why don’t we just type “Mrs” in comedy situations?

• jsutcliffe says:

It is rare for Mrs to be written in a non-abbreviated form and lacks a standard phonetic spelling. In literature it may appear as “missus” or “missis” in dialogue, and a variant in the works of Thomas Hardy and others is “Mis’ess”, reflecting its etymology. (Wikipedia)

So, to answer your second question, I suspect that it is something to do with written comedy often taking the form of dialogue between the writer and the audience.

• Beanbee says:

Master is still used as a title for young boys. I used to get letters addressing me as such when I was a kid.

• Arathain says:

@jsutcliffe: “… which always makes me wonder why we don’t have an abbreviation for “master” to mirror the feminine “miss.” Or if we do, why it is not in common use.”

Mostly because socially, women tend to be far more defined by marital status than men are. Obviously, this is becoming increasingly less the case, thank goodness. Note the rise of Ms. Language and language traditions reflect cultural thought patterns more than anything else.

• Toby says:

Please good Christ in a handbasket if you must say wordsmith do so in such a way that the sarcasm is blindingly obvious, otherwise one might think you a Garth Merengi wannabe.

• Toby says:

Not that I’m doubting or questioning your storyweaving abilities, you understand…

2. Ian says:

For some reason every time the game loads it immediately takes me here:
    link to wooglie.com

3. Hoshi says:

Damn this plays perfect with red/cyan 3D-glasses :-)

4. Wulf says:

Will have to take a look at this once I’m done with Drone.

• Wulf says:

I’m total fail at this… stuck on the same part as Kieron. Still, it’s fun!

5. Polysynchronicity says:

How about just “M”, as in “M. Bison”?

6. Taillefer says:

Needs some fixing.
    The tiles appear at the wrong depth sometimes, so that they appear in front of the ball even when the ball is on top of them. It makes it look as though the ball is about to fall off the edge, leading to an unnecessary adjustment, grrr. Stutters for me occasionally, but I do have other things active, so that may not be a problem.

Anyway, those issues were pretty frustrating, then it added ramps.

• Patrick Richardson says:

I will see about fixing this depth issue, as I’ve noticed it myself. Thanks for the feedback.

7. Phinor says:

Dunno about the game but the music in that Youtube clip is simply superb. I miss games with great music like that – it’s all boring orchestral these days. Well ok there’s good orchestral too, but.. whatever, the music is what I miss most from the games of 80s and early 90s.

8. neems says:

They should call it Cosmic Edge and send it to Dr. Langdell, I’m sure he’d be pleased

9. mcnostril says:

I couldn’t care less about the game. Tried for about 10 seconds, got bored.

On the other hand, I just spent like 20 minutes rocking out to the title music.

unts unts unts

10. HarbourMaster says:

I got to level 6 and just couldn’t take it any more. I think I threw my balls off deliberately because I couldn’t see what the hell was going on with just 2 camera angles.

11. Patrick Richardson says:

Hey guys thanks for mentioning about the wooglie redirect. I’ll be taking a look at the coding today and I will reply with the issue fixed!

• Patrick Richardson says:

The issue has been fixed. The problem with wooglie is that it’s hosting a very old version of the game.

until the LINK is changed to the original address you can access it here

• Patrick Richardson says:

link to gamejolt.com

12. Dableo says:

Interesting little game, but I can’t consistently get past level 8 because the ball is outside the borders of the screen. It’s more than a little annoying, any chance of a fix?

13. Patrick Richardson says:

Thanks Dableo, this is very helpful. I’ll look into it before the end of the day :)