Tiger, Tiger, Golfing Type

There’s something profoundly relaxing about a game of golf. It’s almost as good for de-stressing a man as getting involved in a rabid sex-frenzy with multiple women. Just don’t get caught playing golf, the media will have a field-day… Anyway, it’s worth considering that the latest Tiger Woods game is an entirely browser-based affair (sorry, no pun intended). You can experience some of Tiger’s stick-parabola majesty for free over at Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online, where EA have constructed an elegant golfer game using Unity, so it’s playable on Mac and PC. It’s only free up to a point, of course, and you can unlock all the featured courses with a monthly or yearly sub (£6.99 and £49.99) and buy bits and pieces in the micro-transaction emporium of golf tat. Jolly good. Carry on.

1. bookwormat says:

Tiger Woods game is an entirely browser-based affair

It might run from within your browser window, but it is not a web game and I see little benefit it making a game like this. The game runs on Unity’s propritary client-side platform, so the user is installing the game locally on his computer, just as if he would do with a game that runs it on win32 or .NET or GTK or Flash.

I see no benefit in this approach, and with the speed current browser development pushes HTML5, it seems to be doomed to become obsolete within a year or two. Maybe the unity team is already working on a unity to web migration tool? That would be awesome.

2. Saul says:

I want to play the Tiger Woods game that was featured in the recent South Park episode.

3. Novi says:

I think the benefit is the bucket loads of cash the developers will be taking in from this from the little micro-payments… I’m pretty sure they won’t care that their game will be obsolete in a few years time.
    Welcome to casual gaming :)

4. Berzee says:

Nooobody cares for the Woods anymooore.

5. Malcolm says:

£50 for a year plus micro-payments? Ouch.

From the number of useless accessories that seem to surround golf maybe it will attract the more-money-than-sense player.

• Michael says:

One year of this costs a lot more than unlimited play of Tiger ’10. What were they thinking? No-one’s that stupid, surely?

6. Uhm says:

EA: we screw everybody too.

Tiger Woods joke. Heh.

7. Hypocee says:

If ever there were a game that needed Hot Coffee…

8. TeeJay says:

It’s interesting that a “Peak Performance Golf Swing” advert has just appeared when I was reading this story. This gets me wondering if the adverts placed on RPS react to the stories being posted – and how far this could be manipulated for lolz.

9. jsutcliffe says:

Off-topic, but the title puts me in mind of this wonderful video, which claims to be inspired by Blake’s Tyger.

10. Sam C. says:

I played the beta of this a little, and it’s a respectable golf game, but I don’t think it’s worth what they’re asking for it. There’s an experience system, where birdies, eagles and the like are rewarded with cash you can use to improve different attributes for your swing. It was something I would play for free, but now free users can only play two courses before they have to pay. And the equipment system has you “rent” accessories that only work for a limited number of rounds with real money, or some that last for an even shorter period of time with the in-game currency.

For the price though, I would say you’d be better off getting an old copy of Links 2003 or Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08, the latter of which is $10. Unless being able to play the game “anywhere” is a big deal.

11. tigershuffle says:

I was hoping for the new EA game shown on South Park………looks a lot more realistic

12. Travis Howard says:

I will never buy a single thing from this game or Battlefield Heroes as long as they expire PAID content after a limited number of rounds.

Fucking ridiculous.

• Hypocee says:

@Travis: Indeed you won’t, since they don’t let you buy items. You can only ‘rent’ them… and the world steps one more metalevel away from the concept of actually having the right to own a real thing.

I also wanted to apologise to RPS and…its…readers for posting this morning with the stupid fucking obvious LCD joke that everybody everywhere ever has made a thousand times. I felt like David Letterman five minutes later, and it continued all day. I’m sorry.

13. Fumarole says:

Excellent title.

14. Jayt says:

Hello horrendous load times every time I choose a course.