The RPS Bargain Bucket: Quiet. Too Quiet.

New pic by the mysterious qman. Thanks!

What a terrible week for special offers. I don’t think I’ve missed anything. *CONSPIRACY THEORY* Modern Warfare 2 free weekend has scared everyone off. There’s lots of repeated offers from previous weeks, and lots of games discounted a tiny little bit. Here’s my choice of the slim pickings, although there’s a belter of a deal of the week. Remember to follow SavyGamer for all the deals all the time.

GOG RPG promo
GOG have got a special on real RPG simulators, brought to you by the letter “S”. On offer are:
Sacred Gold – £3.25/€3.70/$4.99
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator – £1.94/€2.22/$2.99
Spellforce Platinum – £3.25/€3.70/$4.99
Stonekeep – £1.94/€2.22/$2.99
They’re all 50% off the normal price. As with all GOG discounts, the discount gets applied during checkout.

Battlestations: Pacific – 1,458 MS points
I had started writing about I know pretty much nothing about these games, and how I think they are about submarines, but then I realised I was thinking of Silent Hunter. So, as it stands I know extra nothing about them. Any good? John has posted about this one a few times. Still no working link for you GFWLGOD.

Men of War – £14.99/€14.99/$17.49
This includes both the original game about warring men, and the expansion “Red Tide”. Alec and Jim tell us what they think about them here and here, and they both have demos here and here. That’s the games, not Alec and Jim.

Deal of the week
Trials2 Second Edition – £1.29/€1.47/$1.99
Keyboard-smash ’em up on a bike, Trials 2, is available for next to nothing direct from the developer. Kieron Euroviewed it back at release, and said this:
“It’s one of our oldest templates remixed for the Internet age. It follows the Kikstart/Stunt Biker template, where you make your way across a side-scrolling obstacle course. There are four controls – lean forward, lean back, accelerate and brake. By manipulating these, you have to do things like climb ramps, mount tyres and career wildly down a wooden Rollercoaster course at a significant proportion of the speed of light.”
RPS coverage here, demo here.

Also of note:
VVVVVV just got release on GamersGate, at the same discount it was on GetGoGamesGot last week.
Activision see fit to insult you with an “offer” of MW2 on steam for only £33.99, when the Steamworks retail copy has been available for sub £30 for quite some time.
D2D (UK/EU/USA) have a sale starting on Monday.

1. Kieron Gillen says:

And for those who did one, we’re still going through the RPS-twitter requests for new top-images. Keep ’em coming!

KG

• SomeGuy says:

But the funny names…

• Hideous says:

I curse you.

• Wulf says:

I usually skip over the very top messages as they’re often short and of little consequence. I wasn’t expecting there to be an explanation from Kieron here as to why we’ve lost our wonderful picture wot had the funny names and all.

It’s really a shame, I liked the old image better, too.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Boooo, car wot goes fast! :(

Merge the old and the new

• Tom Camfield says:

K. Gillen, I like the new picture, much more professional. (The April 12th one, lest they change…)

2. Antsy says:

King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame is 13 quids on Impulse this weekend and well worth a look at that price.

• Alexander Norris says:

Worth noting that apparently the MP (although only 1v1 RTS battles so not really anything of note) is apparently completely stripped out of the Impulse version since it uses Steamworks.

• archonsod says:

The MP isn’t really worthwhile anyway.

• Stromko says:

It’s a bit of a leaky game though. I can’t play at my native resolutions of 1600×900 or 1920×1080 as the game will immediately crash before it even tries to load the campaign map. Setting to a low, non-widescreen resolution lets it start, but is hardly ideal.

3. Jad says:

Trials 2 is an absolutely fantastic game and for that price everyone should at least try it.

4. cliffski says:

men of war is awesome, apart from the voice acting.
    Think of it as Company of heroes with many more men, all controllable individually, and a free camera.
    And bad acting.

• leeder_krenon says:

and with more attention to detail / realism / eastern front.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Men Of War is the greatest.

• JB says:

Men of War is great. But don’t forget the terrible voice acting.

• Psychopomp says:

>men of war is awesome, ESPECIALLY the terrible voice acting.

Fixed that for you

• Dan (WR) says:

I struggled to get into Men of War as I’d played Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2 only a few months before and there seemed bog all difference apart from a *slightly* better interface. And Soldiers was a game that seemed bastard-unforgiving until you took personal control of a soldier, gave him a good gun and methodically plowed down the feeble enemy AI.

Is Men of War really that different? I barely gave it much of a chance.

• leeder_krenon says:

Men of War is much easier than Soldiers.

• Thants says:

I’ve tried the demo a couple times and it just seems like Company of Heroes but with really awkward, hard to use controls. I guess I’ll give it another try. With all the praise it gets around here there may well be something I’m missing.

• leeder_krenon says:

it’s a lot different to company of heroes. for starters there’s none of the nonsensical “base building” which is about as related to WWII as if they made all the uniforms into clown costumes.

• malkav11 says:

Men of War is far more obsessive than Company of Heroes in its level of detail. Every bullet trajectory is simulated, every hat can be looted, every part of a vehicle can be damaged. It’s beautiful.

• RedFred says:

@Thants: Yeah that’s exactly how I felt. I would give it another go but damn, too many games around at the moment.

5. Grunt says:

Typical. Just when I have a shiny new PC coming this week that’s nearly as powerful as the Large Hadron Collider the game deals suddenly dry up. Off to eBay it is, then. (sigh)

6. Morti says:

the MW2 multiplayer is just so poor. I can’t see why so many people play it. TF2 has spoiled me, it seems

7. Jason Lefkowitz says:

I found Battlestations: Pacific to be a lot of fun, especially in multiplayer (which came as a huge surprise since I had zero expectations for it — I bought it for the singleplayer — but I ended up logging a ton of time playing in MP).

I have no idea how much “1,458 MS points” is in human currency but if it’s US$10 or less I’d say go for it. There is a demo if you want to check it out before buying.

8. Fazer says:

I preloaded 4 GB of MW2 and it was at 100%. Then the next day it started dowloading more. Forums told me it would be 8 GB more.

12 GB for multiplayer only? No thanks. I deleted it.

9. Richard J says:

Not a game, but Amazon.co.uk has the World at War for just £17.99 at the moment.

10. leeder_krenon says:

what a shit week for deals. glad mass effect 2 arrived in the post yesterday.

11. SAeN says:

And brilliant co-op

12. user@example.com says:

Lewie, the Amazon link for Modern Warfare 2 leads to the 360 version, which IIRC doesn’t use Steam. PC version’s £29.65 though, so you’re still right about the pricing.

• LewieP says:

I can never seem to copy an URL for different platforms from Amazon. I think that they just have one page for all versions, and uses session information to remember which one you wanted to be looking at.

13. MarkN says:

GetGamesGo have some other offers including the lovely Kings Bounty for just two and a half quid.

link to getgamesgo.com

• Heliocentric says:

That is the headline act today.

• Grunt says:

Hmmmm. I’ve played a bit of this but gave up after becoming rather bored by it. Men of War doesn’t grip me in the slightest either. Whatever’s in these games that seem to have the community here mesmerised obviously isn’t working on me. Can anyone explain it?

14. Dean says:

So any thoughts on which of the GoG RPGs are worth it, if any?

• John Peat says:

I got Spellforce for-free with a GPU once and I really quite liked it at the time.

It’s sort of Diablo meets Warcraft with a team and stuff – it’s far from a waste of £3-odd from what I remember.

In fact I’ll buy it and remind myself :)

• Alastayr says:

Septerra Core is the best western JRPG I’ve played… and probably the only one. It’s distinctively foreign and a bit quirky, but has a pretty cool story, nice characters and is overall okay paced. Maybe a bit too grindy in places and I recall the bossfight to be impossible for me. I just re-bought it because I lost my disc a while ago.

Spellforce… oh dear, I really didn’t like it because nothing came together for me. It felt like those maps in Age of Empires II that tried to be Diablo-style adventure fusioned with the worst parts of Sacrifice.

Sacred Gold I got bored with the Demo already, but it’s a competent Diablo II “clone” that some people regard higher than Diablo II. Definitely fresh and less restrictive than most other games in the genre.

Stonekeep was a good game for it’s time, I remember constantly dying and such (I was 9 when it came out) and it was frightening at that time. I didn’t get very far back then and I’m still contemplating a purchase…

Frankly, you can’t really go wrong with that sub-burger price and some of the games on GOG have goodies (OST, artwork, etc.) that are worth the asking price alone.

15. Ricc says:

GamersGate is using Kieron’s quote about “disturbingly orgasmic cries” for VVVVVV, so that’s funny.

16. Ian says:

Right then, the time is right to try Trials 2!

• John Peat says:

Ensure there’s nothing around which is breakable because whilst I love it’s little cotton socks, you WILL lose your rag with it inside 30 mins.

If you’re using a controller (which I’d recommend) it will fly…

• Ian says:

Oh God, it hurts. :(

WHAT HAVE I DONE TO ANGER YOU, BIKE-GODS?

17. 3klsadjgklmw says:

Kinda hoping that the Deal of the Week would be Modern Warfare 2, not because it’s a good game but to point out to everyone that even with the steam “deal”, the game is still 99 cents above full price for pc!

18. Krondonian says:

Not really special offers, but it’s odd how many big releases have been dropping in price so much. Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 for £15, Dragon Age for £12, and so on.

I just ordered the Anno 1404 crazy-special-almond-edition from amazon for £13ish, if anyone is interested in complementary nuts with your city builders: link to amazon.co.uk

• Rich says:

Do games retailers typically have warehouses that are suitable for storing foods? I’m not so sure.

• RedFred says:

Yeah international customers may have some snags getting this through customs. It’s pretty hilarious that you get nuts with a game.

WANT SOME NUTS?!

19. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Euro-Steam shows a generous discount of 9€ for MW2, taking it down to 50€.

What a bargain.

20. bookwormat says:

Isn’t Dragon Age for £12 (~21 EUR with shipping) a temporary bargain deal?

• LewieP says:

Seems like it’s that price in a few places now.

• Thermal Ions says:

Dragon Age would be an instant purchase if I could buy it for that price – unfortunately all the cheap pricing I’ve seen are employing region restrictions on the purchases.

It was still $105 AUS ($98 US / 63 GBP) in EB Games yesterday here in Oz :(

21. Vinraith says:

I was checking back all day Friday, expecting Steam to post a weekend deal, when it finally occurred to me that in their demented minds that miniscule MW2 discount WAS the weekend deal. The GOG games are the only real items of interest here, for me. However, I’m not sure which, if any, to get.

• DarkNoghri says:

I just find it amusing that the MW2 thing is only discounted that much.

Hey, 6 months after release, we’re giving you the deal of the century! We’re giving you a game AT NORMAL PRICE (almost). You should all love us now.

Not. All the other PC games release late this last year are down into what, the 20-30$ range by now?

• Vinraith says:

@DarkNoghri

Indeed. If it was a game I actually cared the slightest bit about I might be annoyed, but as it stands it’s just kind of odd and mildly amusing (like watching a beanie baby bidding war on eBay or something).

22. John Peat says:

Picking up the general ‘which GoG games are worth it thing’ – it really is worth saying that GoG have a wonderful attitude to what they’re doing and for the most part their games are a steal even without offers.

The fact they offer artwork and soundtrack extras as well as support for games on OS’s which the ‘period’ CD you might even own would never work on!!

I sometimes find myself buying stuff from GoG as my way of treating myself (Agent Cooper stylee) and ensuring they know I appreciate what they’re doing…

23. moyogo says:

I got Sacred Gold, it’s like King’s Bounty without the humor or strategy, you just around mashing things up solving problem x for person y, I don’t know I really couldn’t put up with it after a while, it will give you RSI unless you have a great mouse setup.

• Mac says:

erm … it’s nothing like Kings Bounty – it’s a Diablo clone …

24. Amqz says:

Lol’d at ”keyboard smash-em up”

25. Helis says:

It’s non existent matchmaking puts you up against level 70s with akimbos bullshit hand cannons and pro perks that you won’t get for another 5 years because you’re too busy getting raped.

It sucks, I don’t see the appeal of it.

• TeeJay says:

I haven’t managed to download the whole 12Gb yet, but apparently a lot of people are getting getting immediately auto-leveled up to 70 with one kill, when paying on ‘hacked’ servers. If you look at the steam forums you’ll find out name of the map to look for (or avoid) and the other clues (eg low gravity?). Maybe this accounts for everyone being level 70 even on a ‘free play’ weekend?

26. Jimbob McNubbs says:

Considering Sacred Gold since I seem to almost always enjoy those mindless level ’em ups, as long as they’re top-down and fast, fast, fast. How does it stack up against the blikes of Diablo II and Titan Quest?

• archonsod says:

I prefer it to Diablo. One thing to note though is the Gold edition is missing the Underworld expansion.

Biggest difference is really the open world format. It’s huge, divided into several distinct areas and there’s dungeons, caves and the like to explore. Plenty of sidequests, although quality ranges from fun and interesting to generic fedex, but at least it’s another option to grinding.
      The mechanics are pretty solid with some little quirks, but there’s plenty of build guides and the like floating around the net.

• malkav11 says:

Uhhhh, what? The Gold pack specifically includes the Underworld expansion. That was the whole point of that particular release. You may be thinking of Sacred Plus, which is also included. If you don’t believe me, click through to the GoG page and you’ll see.

27. malkav11 says:

But where do I get demos of Alec and Jim?

Also, I don’t think the weekend deal is MW2. They usually have a post saying “Weekend Deal” on it if it is. I think they just don’t have a weekend deal this week, like they didn’t have the midweek deal we’ve gotten used to.

28. moo says:

55 minutes left on Borderlands PC for $20 !!

Deal Ends 5pm GMT+5

link to amazon.com

29. bill says:

I think it’s kinda nice to have a weekend without crazy cheap deals. It’ll give me a chance to actually play some of the previous crazy weekend deal games that i’ve bought. ;-)

I keep buying games at crazy low prices, but then by the time i get around to playing them the price has dropped below that price… sigh. Still working on my steam new year sale pile.

30. shalrath says:

Well, it took a free weekend but it seems MW2 is ahead of Counter-strike: Source (though they seem to still switch.)

I’m really surprised at the ‘low’ number of BC2 players – every person I know immediately switched to BC2, who happened to be playing MW2.

And a lot of people who don’t even play shooters much.

31. Uglycat says:

You’re really in the wrong demographic…

32. Out Reach says:

WHAT? NOOOOOOOOO!

Bring back grandma shooter :( that was hilarious.

• Phil says:

I’m with out reach – the old image looked naff but always made me chuckle. “World in conflict” – how’s that funny?

• Wulf says:

*waves a foam bat at Lewie P or whomever is responsible!* Bad! Bad amusing image replacer! No replacing British humour with lifeless pictures of piled games! No mainstreamifying RPS! I am most displeased!

• CMaster says:

@Phil
      They nuke part of the midwest in that one at one point?

33. Stijn says:

But what about Car wot goes fast?

34. Wulf says:

Where’d the old image go?? I second the “Nooooo!!!”, the old image was wonderful!

• Vinraith says:

Indeed. I for one lament the passing of Hobo Tycoon.

• the wiseass says:

Oh noes funny picture got replaced by random crap. Bring back my car wot goes fast :(

35. Scheissed says:

Recycling bin wtf?

I miss ye olde car wot goes fast as well.

36. WTF says:

Just noticed there is a lot to be had at, of all places, Lovefilm.com. Had a terrible time with their subscription service but there are some good deals on the shop side of things. Check it out:
    link to shop.lovefilm.com

37. Kirrus says:

Maybe we should create an alternative Bargin Bin image, see if they’d like to use it?

Car Wot Goes Fast II?

38. Matzerath says:

I cast my vote for the old graphic, or something different that is equally funny. The new image is depressingly bland – maybe it would be funnier if it were entirely comprised of copies of ‘Mafia’.

39. drewski says:

I sort of thought the old naff image fit with the general theme of cheap videogames.

40. RogB says:

just photoshop some of the existing titles out and replace them with the funny ones

41. LewieP says:

The D2D sale is now live.