The RPS Bargain Bucket: Recharged

Much better week that last week, hurrah! You’ve got cars, zombies, jedis and balls, what more could you possibly want? Last week was definitely an anomaly, don’t expect another respite for your wallet any time soon. For more cheap games, direct your browser to SavyGamer.co.uk. Here’s the fully recharged bargain bucket:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed – £9.99/€14.99/$14.99
This is LucasArts’ evidence that piracy is killing PC games. They made a mediocre game about hitting baddies with a foam lightsabre and pressing buttons when it tells you to, then released it on the PC a year after other platforms, and did a terrible job of porting to boot. The reason they did this was to help increase it’s sales on other platforms. I stopped caring half way through the demo, but if you like buying things that have star wars in the name, then you will like buying this because it has star wars in the name. Who was it that asked for this instead of a sequel to Republic Commando?

Madballs in…Babo: Invasion – £1.75/€2.25/$2.50
To coincide with the free weekend that is happening RIGHT NOW, there is a discount available for this game about balls. You can get 75% off buying it individually, or save even more by splitting a 4 pack between some other human beings (£1.37/€1.75/$1.88 each). Alec said it was “far better than I’d ever have expected from a £6 game based on an ugly ball toy from the 1980s.” Multiply that statement by 4 (or 5.102 if you get the 4 pack) to adjust it to current pricing, and that is mega enthusiastic.

Zombie Driver – £3.49/€4.49/$4.99
Broken promises that they never made, missed opportunities that they never saw. That was what Zombie Driver was at launch. It was a game where all I really wanted to do was Drive and interact with Zombies, then interact with their severed body parts. It didn’t seem to want to let me do that, it punished me for not avoiding all the zombies, ammo wasn’t scarce it was just inconveniently placed, and the overhead camera was stylish, but not all that conducive to good driving. Word on the street is that since I last played it they have added new camera settings and a completely new game mode more in tune with what I had hoped the game would be. In short, it looks a bit good.

King’s Bounty: Gold – $14.95/€9.95/£9.95
Get both the original “The Legend” and the expandalone “Armored Princess” for cheaps. If you are just after Armored Princess, you might be able to get it cheaper at GamersGate, but you’ll have to grapple with their rather bewildering reward scheme. I’m a white status member, so I only get 50% off, and a pain in the back of my neck. RPS coverage hither and thither, and demos also hither and thither.

Deal of the week
Dirt 2 – £7.59/€7.39/$9.95
Cheapest I’ve seem this discounted to before was £14.99, so this is a decent discount. It is a DX11 compatible game for all of you with graphics cards that can make pretty DX11 flavoured pixels (and either Vista or Win7), but it will work on DX9 compatible cards/OSs too. I played a car game once. I nearly came off the track, but then I steered my car away from the edge of the track, and managed to stay on. True story. Jim says “Dirt 2 really surprised me. I totally got into it. Definitely worth getting.” and also my mate Kieran (different one) says it is “Awesome.” and “It’s pretty, it feels like what I imagine rally driving feels like (bumpy)”, and he is only wrong some of the time. WARNING: Contains trace amounts of GFWL.

Also of note:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky – $4.95 (North America only)
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth – £3.50/€3.50/$4.95
Actually the whole of the D2D sale is worth a gander or two UK/EU/USA
Civ 3 + 4 and all expansions – $29.99 (North America only)

For a gamut of gaming savings, head to SavyGamer.co.uk.

Thanks to q_man for the image. Cheers!

1. Stijn says:

WHERE’S MY HOBO TYCOON

• Sagan says:

@ Stijn:
      It’s still there. Look carefully.

• Clovis says:

I don’t think it was there last time, though, right? I saw it, and thought, “Ugh, that new Hobo-less bargain bin again… oh wait!”

2. Driadan says:

also of note the 30 GB needed for the starwars game…

• Eamo says:

How many peggles is that?

P.S. Am I the only person who, despite having 20/20 vision needs to click the audio link to make out what the letters in the captchas on this site actually are?

• ascagnel says:

No. Every so often I find one that’s incomprehensible, and without an audio version.

• Thermal Ions says:

Simple, login – no more captcha.

• neems says:

Or you can refresh it, which I frequently have to do (I often find the first one it shows you is some form of abstract impressionism).

3. Wilson says:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is well worth a play at that price. I can’t think of anything quite like it. A first person adventure game. It has it’s weak points, but if you fancy a different kind of experience I’d recommend it.

• Falsus says:

Does the game make use of Lovecraft properly? That is, can the character go mad from seeing the unspeakable horrors wandering about in the dark?

• pkt-zer0 says:

@Falsus: It’s not really “can”, but rather “does”. The game starts off with the protagonist committing suicide in an asylum. But other than that, there’s some pretty nice insanity effects in the game. In extreme circumstances, readying a gun results in your character pointing it at his own head and pulling the trigger.

• Velvet Fist, Iron Glove says:

I’m very interested to get it, but wary of D2D. Can someone familiar with them describe what (if any) DRM / activation limits I should expect?

• kyynis says:

@Velvetfist
      I have used D2D for a while and so far no problems. I don’t even think there is an internet activation for the most of the games or limit on re-downloads. Also, I misplaced my activation code for Immortal Defense a while back and got it again with a press of a button.

• Velvet Fist, Iron Glove says:

@kyynis Thanks! I think I’ll go ahead and get it. Especially since it’s only £3.50, I’m not going to be much out of pocket even if the service and the game were the worst ever :D Certainly worth a try.

• Edgar the Peaceful says:

Excellent game this. Sanity or fear is measured by your vision going blurry and your breathing getting heavy. You also suffer from bad vertigo. Can be a bit frustrating and clunky at times but it has a flavour all its own.

Also, buy Dirt II for £7.50 even if you only mildly like racing games. It’s brilliant.

• jeremy says:

Dark Corners of the Earth also contains the best chase scene in any game until Mirror’s Edge came out years later!

4. Phil says:

Hooray for the return of Hobo Tycoon, Grandma Shooter and Car wot goes fast. Still far too many real games though!

5. Will says:

I normally hate driving games, but every now and again one comes along and just devours my time for months, replacing it with pure joy. These games aren’t necessarily the peak of their genre as defined by classical means, but some driving games just capture me.

Dirt 2 was one of them; partly, in this case I think, because it is such a wonderfully hilarious parody of itself. Big explosion noises when you level up, all the voice-overs call you by name (if you have a common name), there is upbeat music (like what today’s kids listen to) in the menus and replays, there is a ‘plane flying noise’ between levels… It’s just wonderfully, raucously silly.

Top tip though: DON’T BUY unless you have a steering wheel + pedals (or maybe a controller? Not sure how it plays on one). It’s basically impossible to play on a keyboard (the way I normally play racing games).

• Nicolas says:

Its good on a 360 controller.

• Azhrarn says:

The cars are extremely problematic to control without a gamepad or wheel, but it’s quite fun. Got it for free with my ATI HD 5870, so not complaining that it’s hard, but it certainly poses a challenge. Lots of fun events to drive in though and if you have a Dx11 compatible card the extra effects are gorgeous (even if it’s mainly the way water responds thanks to the tesselation).

• Ziv says:

It’s really fun w/ an xbox 360 controller. like GRID it’s much much harder with keyboard only and it’s twenty times more fun with a controller.

one thing I would like is split screen on the same PC w/ X360 controllers (I know that’s what xbox is for) but I really like playing racing games with friends.

• Phinor says:

Actually Dirt 2 is very easy with a keyboard because the driving model is so very arcade. I’ve only tried it with a wheel once or twice and the physics are so silly and the force feedback so lacking in my opinion it makes the game harder to play (than with a keyboard).

With a keyboard I can easily recommend it for that price though. Just don’t expect anything but a consoleish arcade racing game with probably the worst menus you have ever seen. The racing itself is solid though and that’s what matters.

• Edgar the Peaceful says:

It’s fine with the Xbox 360 controller

• MWoody says:

I agree with your assessment of the game proper, though I’ll point out that I’ve played it on keyboard just fine. Since you can tune your car to some small degree, you can adjust for the sharp turns digital control imposes. In other words, try the keyboard controls with a stiff suspension and it works beautifully.

6. Stuk says:

Zombie Driver is even cheaper on Impulse at £3.22

7. Heliocentric says:

That dry week was wierd. Guess everyone was scared of free weekend mw2.

8. Stu says:

YIKES. D2D slashing the price of Democracy 2 to £3.50 only a week after Cliffski’s 50% off deal seems like something of a dick move — but one that I’m secretly pleased about since I missed out on the previous offer.

• MWoody says:

I don’t blame him for it personally, but if either of those two actions could be described as a “dick move,” I’d say it was a dev undercutting his own resale partners.

9. SirKicksalot says:

The Impulse version of Zombie Driver doesn’t use Steamworks, right?
    I like the game a lot. It’s much improved since release and the latest free DLC is huge and awesome.

10. wcaypahwat says:

If you live in Australia, and have a GAME store nearby, they have quite a large sale going on until the end of the month. Picked up Mirrors Edge for $4 ($46 off!!!).

link to game.com.au

11. Heliosicle says:

I found it difficult at first, now I’m 30 seconds ahead on serious on trailblazer with just arrow keys, looks really pretty with a really consistent framerate too.

I found that I have to tap the arrows rather than holding to get the control I want.

• Heliosicle says:

Reply doesn’t work when you aren’t logged in :/

Anyway, that was @ Will talking about dirt 2.

• Heliosicle says:

Also, is anyone else annoyed at how STUPIDLY POSITIVE all the drivers are in Dirt? I shunted that apparently famous guy covered in Monster stuff and he goes “Wow man bet you didn’t mean to do that, oh and looked you’ve overtaken me and won, good for you!”

• MWoody says:

Heh yeah, that bothered the hell out of me, too. Particularly since I’m a terribly aggressive driver, and can only excel by using my opponents’ side panels to redirect me around turns without slowing. To which they’d inevitably ask, worried and breathless, “are you ok?” It feels like the passive aggressive grand prix.

• neems says:

You may also find though that an Ai driver can beat you by a millionth of a second over an 8 mile trailblazer event on uber difficulty and then sledge you for being shite (“Oh hey, at least you finished. Better luck next time.”)

12. fuggles says:

The problem with Cthulu is that it is game breakingly broken. There is a bit where you need to shoot some far away lights from a boat, only on modern gfx cards then the lights don’t draw- I had to get a savegame to pass that, which somewhat sucked. Also I couldn’t finish the finale as that too was bugged and I had to get a game tweaking program to finish it.

Starts off great though, just those bits kicked the wind out of it somewhat.

• Heliocentric says:

It does seem in theme that you would get eternally trapped because you can’t turn out lights that you can’t even see.

And that towards the end you would suffer from corruption which halts your victory.

• bill says:

I had to use the unofficial hack to allow me to finish the game as well… though the lights drew for me (might depend on driver versions).

the first half of the game (before you get a gun) is totally awesome. the second half isn’t half as good… but it has some pretty good moments. A fair few flaws as well though. I can only imagine what this game could have been with a bit more work.

highly recommended for those that can overlook flaws to enjoy a game.

• MadMatty says:

i only played about 2 hours in, coz i thought the games story lacked subtlety- which Lovecraft had bucketloads of…. of course subtlety might not make a good game.
      The thing that ruined it for me, was first sneaking into the hotel managers office, finding lots of bloody boxes and body parts along with litters of psychomanical gibberish written on small notes all over his office, and then after that, having no other option than to rent a room and sleep there for the night! (i wouldve called the police or gotten the hell out of dodge!)

One of my friends made it nearly through the game and he quite liked it- guess its definetly worth a pop at that price.

• BeamSplashX says:

I really enjoyed DCotE, but it’s difficult to recommend. Not to mention that playing at the recommended brightness setting does wonders for the scares but makes finding certain key items a pain. Even though the gunplay is a bit broken, they made killing people satisfying by forcing you to be defenseless for a long time.

The main character’s whispering to himself is probably the scariest thing about the game on a deeper level than jump scares.

13. Alistair says:

Real Strategy Not Fake Boobs?

Why am I being subjected to crap ads like that on RPS?

• Heliocentric says:

So, do you not like strategy? Or are you a fan of fake lady baps?

• Clovis says:

Seconded. In the lawsuit happy US, those images are considered NSFW, as well.

• Heliocentric says:

I need to add, I’m not seeing those adverts. At all, what am i missing?

• Ushao says:

You’re missing a parody of the almost NSFW Evony ads

• RedFred says:

Yeah I am a bit irked by the ads on RPS at the moment. I turned my ad blocker off for this site at their request and am presented with Evony ads and some lady holding a Thompson machine gun with cleavage.

THERE WAS NO CLEAVAGE IN WORLD WAR II!

14. Daniel Calcei says:

Madballs is great fun. The MP is especially good.

• Sacred_flame101 says:

yes i agree and also urge everyone to buy this fantastic game or at least give it a shot this weekend ( as it if a free weekend on steam)

• Wulf says:

I was considering on picking up Madballs before, but by the time I decided on it I missed the previous deal it was in, and after that the full price was far, far less appealing. I won’t make that mistake this time. I do enjoy a good, fun multiplayer game though, especially if it breaks the norm, which I’m guessing this one does. Then I’ll have this and Plain Sight to goof around in.

I’m also considering that Cthulu game, but I’m mildly put off because I’m a total wuss. If the Blink episode of Who left me jumpy and paranoid for days, I can’t imagine what something about Cthulu would do. :p Or then again, it might just be not all that scary, in the vein of Jericho, which really wasn’t that scary. Hmmm…

• Edgar the Peaceful says:

@ Wulf – there are scary bits: nasty things happening to families / creepy sanitarium scenes etc. It made my skin crawl at times.

• Wulf says:

Maaaybe that isn’t quite for me then. I don’t doubt that it’s a good game, but my imagination works overtime with pretty much whatever material it’s given, and I’m not sure I want to give it that. Might not be so good for the old mental health.

Madballs, on the other hand, I did buy. I’ve had loads of fun with that, I really didn’t expect to, to be honest, I’m quite amazed. It’s very different, there’s really not much like this on the PC, there used to be, but not now, so for what it’s worth I’d recommend a purchase at that price.

It’s really the sort of thing I like, because it’s a little bit off the wall, it breaks the norm, and it’s just so amazingly fun. I had the most fun playing as Robo with the minigun, which felt oddly like the heavy from TF2, except the heavy didn’t go rocketing into the air over speed ramps, only to be rolled all over the place. It’s kind of hard to describe how it plays, really.

I feel a little guilty about only spending so little on it, but thankfully I got the slightly more expensive version (the SWAT pack, I believe), but had I know it was quite this good I would’ve spent more on it. I wasn’t aware there was a demo, either, which should be tried by anyone looking for something really different.

• MadMatty says:

aaargh madballs looks tasty, but everyone including me are flat skint this month- and i need the spare coins i can drum up for cigarettes :(

15. Boldoran says:

I would love to buy The Force Unleashed but reading the steamforums convinced me that the port makes it perfectly clear that they don’t wan’t money from PC gamers.

• Wulf says:

Having played the console version I can actually tell you that it’s not just the port, it’s a horrible game anyway. It’s unresponsive, and it tries to take Star Wars and Devil May Cry, smooshing them into some abomination of Star Wars lore, combos, and quick time events.

Star Wars games used to be great. Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Knights of the Old Republic, X-Wing/TIE-Fighter… but this doesn’t live up to any of them. Hammer some buttons incoherently and get some pretty graphics in return. I could’ve given the controller to my canine companion and he’d probably play it better than I could by mauling the controller.

Maybe it’s just me not liking that genre of incessant combo scoring and irrelevant quick time events, though.

• Wulf says:

Wait! I do have one good thing to say about it!

Using the Force powers you can pick up a storm trooper/rebel and swing them into another one, at which point they start holding hands and doing anti-grav air ballet. This is, quite frankly, one of the funnier things I’ve seen in a mainstream game. 10 minutes of doing this to random people was the most fun I had in the entire game, and yes, it made me laugh.

Is 10 minutes of truly hilarious anti-grav ballet worth the asking price? Not really, no, especially since you can watch it on YouTube. And really, I don’t think it’s actually supposed to be quite as funny as I found it. I think they meant to portray people holding on for dear life, but their animators just didn’t portray it as such and it just ends up being unintentionally (very) funny.

• Heliocentric says:

@ Wulf I didn’t think i was buying anything this weekend you bastard…

• Wulf says:

Oops! >.>;

• Heliocentric says:

Comment fail, i was replying to the gothic post.

16. Mad Doc MacRae says:

“Who was it that asked for this instead of a sequel to Republic Commando? ”

Hitler?

• Rei Onryou says:

Fearful that PC gamers would have no money after buying their £4,000 PCs and would pirate their games, LucasArts forced through a bill to produce a mediocre game (and a way too late port-a-shit).

Those aware of their intent attempted to encourage those with power to act against this war crime and have Republic Commando 2 be made instead. However, those who said they’d help didn’t bother turning up or just outright lied. And thus, The Force Unleashed was unleashed forcefully upon the people.

Let this be a lesson to us all.

17. BarneyL says:

Gothic 3 is only £3.50 but I’ve heard it was pretty buggy at launch. Is it worth a go now with the latest fan patches?

• Wulf says:

Yup, the latest fan patch is amazing, and huge. I believe CD Projekt guys helped out with it, too. It adds new content, new graphics, fixes every known bug thus far, and makes that ambitious game completely playable. In fact, the experience you’ll have with the fully patched Gothic III is likely better than what you’d have with any other Gothic or Risen. Problem is that not many people have tried the fan patch, but it makes all the difference. Just make sure you do get the final one, it’s hard to mistake it though, since it really is gigantic.

• Vinraith says:

@Wulf

Is the expansion worth getting as well, or has all the fan love only gone towards the base game?

• Wulf says:

@Vin

They’re currently petitioning JoWood to release the source code of Forsaken Gods (the expansion pack). The thing is, all the Gothic III problems were fixable, but Forsaken Gods was such a buggy, unoptimised addition that they need access to the source before they can start fixing it up. I’m not sure it’s worth the effort though, really, because it doesn’t add a lot to the base game, and the translation was really a hackish job. There are parts of the translation that are just missing, there are no voice samples and just text, and there are bugs introduced by JoWood’s translation team.

So I didn’t touch Forsaken Gods, but I did love every moment of Gothic III and I can honestly recommend it at a cheap price, it’s honestly one of the better RPGs you’ll ever play, the freedom is amazing, so much so that you can even complete quests and hand them in later (oh yes, I’ve all ready done that, gimme money!). There’s even an ecological system in place, and the animal life is pretty intelligent, roaming packs of predators will go after the easiest kill (rather than just assaulting a guy in plate armour) and behave pretty realistically. The towns are living. If you steal something, people will notice and comment on it, the guards will start harassing you about it, too. It’s basically a modern Ultima VII, I admit that it’s not as free to do anything as Ultima VII was, but in some ways it’s even more so. For this kind of game, it’s really the height of the genre. If you want an RPG where you can just explore, discover the story your own way, and do your own thing then this is really that sort of game.

It’s also amazingly non-linear, imagine an object-oriented quest system, if you will, where each encampment is encapsulated, there is a linear storyline there, but it’s like Ultima VII, you can pretty much dive into any town and start solving their problems, and providing you have the armour, weapons, and training you can pretty much go anywhere in the wilderness. The game isn’t as harsh as previous Gothics or Risen in that respect, either, which is why I felt Risen was a step back. Gothic was fun, but there were areas where players feared to tread, Gothic II was almost a straight road by comparison, Risen reminds me of Gothic II, whereas Gothic III is an evolution of the first Gothic.

And it has an ardent fan base who’re there to help you if you need it, they’re a friendly bunch and pretty dedicated to the game, in fact, I’ll wrap this up by leaving you with the Changelog of the community patch, so you marvel at it yourself.

link to snorre.jowood.de

• Vinraith says:

@Wulf

Thanks, I think I’ll go grab Gothic 3 from D2D right now…

• Wulf says:

I’m sure you’ll like it. Gothic III is the sort of game I’d buy for people to show them how good it is, and have done. At just £3.50 it’s a steal. It’s huge, and you’re going to love it. The thing is, I’m trying not to spoil too much… but it’s the sort of RPG that’ll take you around it’s world, and I’m sure you’ll have a blast.

It’s also pretty much as interesting as the Witcher, because it’s truly hard to choose whether you want to support the humans or the orcs, they both have their good points and bad, and many times along the adventure there are things that will really make you doubt you made the right choice, and other things that’ll reaffirm, it’s interesting, really. But both sides are very human in their motivations.

• AndrewC says:

Good luck Vinraith. For 3.50, it would be rude not to try, but if you discover that Gothic3 is not quite the game Wulf’s abundant enthusiasm is making it out to be, you’ll find plenty here that will commiserate with you.

• Wulf says:

@AndrewC

You haven’t tried the complete fan patch, ever, have you?

The thing is, that opinion is of someone who hasn’t, I’ve convinced quite a few people who were disappointed with the problems in Gothic III to reinstall it and try the fan patch, you no doubt have lots of memories of it being buggy, crashes to desktops, quests that can’t be completed, missing textures, and so on, all of which have been fixed.

Gothic III is just like Vampire: The Masquerade — Bloodlines, someone who’s never played it with the community patch will very likely think it’s pretty bad, I’ve seen people with that opinion too, but if you’ve completed it with the patch then you might disagree. Boiling Point was another game that was plagued with bugs and issues that could’ve otherwise been a cult classic if it had the same kind of community as Gothic III has, but it doesn’t.

I’ll further note that for so many people working on the game (you really should see the changelog), working so hard on that game, they must have seen something there that you haven’t, perhaps because you haven’t played the game in its completed state.

So yes, I’m pretty sure, I can just tell. If you try it with the latest community patch I really expect that your opinion will change. And I think you’ll find that Vin has nothing to commiserate at all. He’s getting an ambitious, fun, completely fixed up RPG for £3.50.

I just wish you’d seen the patched version, rather than just the unpatched original release. Then you’d know. I’ve said this about Vampire as well, hell, I’ve even said this about Fallout, once bulked up with some mods to deal with some of its shortcomings.

• AndrewC says:

I’ve played with the community patch. It removes all of the bugs, makes the fighting more fun and makes the engine run better, but it does not, and can not, fix the underlying structural problems of a game that is full of cookie cutter towns and sub MMO cookie cutter missions. The game was rushed to completion, so almost all the content is of this cookie cutter type. Most people who don’t like the game point to this emptiness in the actual game as the reason for their ultimate disappointment.

• Wulf says:

“It’s OK Wulf, i’m familiar enough with the games you get so enthusiastic about you lose perspective to the point of personally insulting those who disagree with you.”

I wasn’t aware I had insulted you, I reread my post a couple of times and all I said was that I was pretty sure that you hadn’t used the community patch. If that was an insult then I apologise.

“I’ve played with the community patch. It removes all of the bugs, makes the fighting more fun and makes the engine run better, but it does not, and can not, fix the underlying structural problems of a game that is full of cookie cutter towns and sub MMO cookie cutter missions.”

I disagree with your opinion on that, as I felt that each town had its own individual personality, along with missions and quests that fit in with that. Furthermore, given all the varied locations in the world (there are even other continents), I can’t even say that all towns look alike. But you’re welcome to your opinion, regardless.

“The game was rushed to completion, so almost all the content is of this cookie cutter type.”

This is news to me, I know that it was rushed near the end of its development cycle, which resulted in a lack of polish, but I didn’t know that the entire game was rushed. It doesn’t feel like it to me, either, considering all the lore, dialogue, and varied quests present. But again, our opinions differ.

“Most people who don’t like the game point to this emptiness in the actual game as the reason for their ultimate disappointment.”

I would posit that your distaste for the game is colouring your opinion, here, and that perhaps the emptiness you see is a lack of willingness to explore. I’d also say that it’s likely that any RPG could look fairly empty on the surface, unless you dig into the lore, really bother talking to the NPCs, and explore the various hidden nook and crannies the world has to offer. Since I spent a long while exploring Gothic III, this is the only thing I can think of to explain our difference of opinions, and I’m sure your opinion is valid to you, just as my opinion is valid to me.

“So don’t worry, I won’t get offended when you accuse me of all sorts of things, but please be aware that I won’t take you seriously when you do.”

So, by doubting that you’d tried the community patch I’ve ‘accused you of all sorts of things’? Okay, then. I only implied that you hadn’t because that was the vibe I was getting from you, because I’d met many people who had anger toward the game purely because of its buggy nature, I didn’t think it was unreasonable to conclude that you were one more. However, this was a false conclusion and I apologise for that, but I don’t think it was necessary for you to balloon that out of all proportion like a corrupt politician. There’s no need to engage in defamation of character just because you disagree with me. :p

• Wulf says:

And really, I don’t know why you need to be so incredibly defensive and paranoid, because I don’t remember slighting you. It was one flawed conclusion that I’m more than willing to own up to and apologise for. Have I had a go at you under other names or something? Because I really don’t remember loads of accusations against AndrewC.

C’est la vie, I suppose.

• RedFred says:

@Wolf!

Don’t you dare tell me that Gothic III is a modern Ultima VII! Now I will have to get it…

18. Boldoran says:

Hmm tried to buy Armoured Princess at the d2d sale. It seems that they require a credit card for purchase? I have the option to click paypal but for some reason paypal then want’s credit card information. Does anyone know what is going on?

19. MtotheThird says:

I bought The Force Unleashed because I am a shameless sucker for nearly anything featuring lightsabers and stormtroopers. And it’s a pretty game with nice sound effects.

It turned out to be an OK purchase for me, because I can play for about 30 minutes before I get bored because it’s a terrible game and then stop. Two days later I pick it up again and have fun for another 30 minutes before I get irritated at the awful gameplay and strange blend of cack-handed fiddly force powers demanding pixel-level precision and dumbed-down QT events not to mention the inability of my lightsaber to sever anything. This fits nicely with my schedule as a parent.

Sadly, I bought it off Steam LAST week, and now feel like a traitor to my people because I gave LucasArts far, far more money than they deserved. :(

20. Schmung says:

I bought Dirt 2 last night after trying the demo. I’d been considering getting it on 360 anyway, but thought I’d roll the dice and see if it ran acceptably on PC seeing as it was so cheap. I was flabbergasted to discover that I was getting a rock solid 40+fps at 1680×1050 with 4xMSAA on. My PC is rubbish! The grin was quickly wiped off my face by the traffic cap on my broadband though, because I’ve been downloading it all bleedin day.

21. Vinraith says:

The Dirt 2 deal is interesting, but I have a couple of questions. #1 It has GfWL, does that mean it will ONLY work with a 360 controller? #2 It’s on D2D, is GfWL the only copy protection or is there a SecuROM limited install thing attached as well?

22. MinisterofDOOM says:

Madballs in Babo is great fun. Wouldn’t know how to take itself seriously if anyone was crazy enough to ask it to. It does get a bit repetitive, but the sense of humor and that classic simple-shooter-destruction feel mean that doesn’t really matter much.

23. Schmung says:

Vinraith, I would answer your questions, but after installing the game I am none the wise. It didn’t say anything about activation limits when it verified my install key though. No idea about the GFWL bollocks as I can’t even get into the game at present owing to apparently not being a functional bit of software. I can see why people get so irate about it TBH and I’m starting to remember why I (cost aside) got so narked off with mainstream PC gaming. My download finished an hour ago and I’m still not playing the fucking game. ARGH

• Severian says:

same. can’t get the damn thing to start for some reason. any advice from more informed DIrt2 players would be helpful.

• Vinraith says:

@Schmung

Well, that in and of itself is worth knowing. Considering my past experiences with GfWL and your current problems, I think I’ll pass.

• Severian says:

Brief update: after 4 hours of research, trying/retrying, and fuming, I was finally able to get my D2D copy of Dirt 2 to run. Long story short: I uninstalled GFWL and reinstalled the newest version and did the same with my Dirt 2 download.

Also: I forgot that since this is GFWL bullsh*t, my standard run-in-the-mill Logitech gamepad didn’t work right away. I had download some x360ce files and place in Dirt 2 folder to get it to recognize the damn thing.

Finally: the sound was totally screwed up until I changed it from Blue Ripple to my standard sound software.

Yes, frustrating. Thanks, GFWL. But now that I’m playing, it’s definitely fun and definitely worth $10.

24. undead dolphin hacker says:

I’ve yet to enjoy a pure racing game. There’s nothing more boring to me than holding “accelerate” and keeping inbetween the track edges.

Is there any chance I’d like Dirt 2?

25. Flyspeck :. says:

Ohh yes… Sequel to republican Commando would have been glorious… instead of that Jedi rubbish.

• Heliocentric says:

Eh, you mean republic commando, rather than arnie’s mates right?

Still, i would buy publican commando.
      “Get out of my pub!”
      *lays down suppersive fire*

• Fumarole says:

I’m afraid of what I might do to play Imperial Commando.

26. MWoody says:

This is a bit offtopic, but Call of Cthulhu reminded me: when is someone going to make a proper, all-expansions-included digital version of Arkham Horror? I mean, it’s a popular board game with tons of content, that works for upwards of six players or as few as one(!), the chief limitation of which is that keeping all the bits and baubles straight is a pain. It’s like it’s made for PC.

27. malkav11 says:

Madballs is a wonderful package for $10. For $2.50 it is a steal.

And I appear to be in the minority in that I thought Force Unleashed had a lot of good points: gorgeous levels, hilariously brutal force powers, and an escort mission much less annoying than the usual variety. (In that the escortee generally won’t get killed unless the unfortunately wonky targeting leads you to inadvertently chuck him into a bottomless pit.) It made for a fine rental on 360. I have no interest in buying the PC version, though.

28. pimorte says:

For all those wanting to play Madballs, but can’t afford $2.50, you can always pick up Babo Violent (Madballs before the reskin) for free. link to rndlabs.ca

29. Reno Brainz says:

Car wot goes fast strikes back! Yaaaaay

30. DaveyJones says:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for F.I.V.E. dollars. Awesome.

31. Megadeth dude says:

Dude… Steam is not panaceum. The best edition of Zombie Driver is not on Steam, not even on Impulse, but straight on zombiedriver.com. There you can buy it directly DRM FREE!!!!!

DRM free, man!

D R M F R E E !

FFS

• Matzerath says:

Yeah, it’s funny how much bitching there is about DRM, but I keep seeing this comment on indy developers websites:
      “I hope ur game is on Steam soon, cuz I’m not gonna btoher buying it til its on Steam.”

32. sinister agent says:

Men of war for two quid now on d2d. Son of a bitch. I waited for that to come down to £15 for a year, and then a week later it’s cheaper than my bloody lunch.

I hate you, Lewie.