I Owe U Nothing: Super Mario Bros Crossover

80s Spectrum one! Jet Set Willy! The guy from Nodes of Yesod! Monty Mole! That Guy from Dun Darach! One of the Lords of Midnight! The Gooey Blob!

This caught Mr Chalupa’s eye, and I thank him for bring it to mine. Super Mario Bros Crossover is – as the name suggests – a bastard-pop mash-up where you play six NES-era characters in the original Super Mario Bros, selecting who you’ll control on each life. Efficiently done, though I’m surprised they didn’t make each character’s life be a single life, forcing you to select other ones. Equally, being very much in the gray area, I suspect you should – er – play it quickly if you want to. Mostly though, being a Brit of a certain age – as in, without period NES experience – I didn’t have a clue who certain characters were, and had to sort of deduce that the brown-smudge was probably the guy from Castlevania. Don’t select him though. He’s rubbish. And don’t select Link because he’s eminently punchable. Play here.

1. AndrewC says:

Link’s so lovely. He’s the best of all elves.

2. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Verily, the awesomeness is awesome :)

I like how Link and Bill power-up with the shrooms. Haven’t tried playing with Link, yet. In the game, etc.

3. Magic H8 Ball says:

I came expected Mario with different sprites and I was positively surprised.

Too bad at the core it’s still Mario, though…

4. Tei says:

I has ben thinking about game crossovers..
    – Bad Company 2 + Prototype
    – GTA4 + Sims
    – Quake1 + Baldurs Gate (with baldurs gate engine)
    – Quake1 + The Day of Tempalte (with scumm engine)
    – Spore + X3
    – TF2 Engineer + Desktop Turret Defense (is this too obvious?)
    – TF2 Spy + Hitman
    – Pacman + Morrowind (with the Morrowind engine)
    – Tetris + Prototype (with the tetris engine)
    – Gratitous Space Battles + Battlefield 1942 (with the BF2 engine)

• Clovis says:

Almost any game with NPCs should be crossed with the Sims.

• Brumisator says:

Heh, funny, just yesterday, after having played these games in turn, I imagined how cool a SWAT4 + Sims crossover would be.

• Spacewalk says:

QuakexDuke Nukem. Oh wait, that’s been done already.

Twice.

• Wulf says:

@Spacewalk

The best instance thereof being Malice, which was hugely underrated and far, far more enjoyable than Quake II.

Damien Stark says:

I once saw someone refer to Dwarf Fortress as “Dungeon Keeper + the Sims”

5. airtekh says:

The NES was my first gaming experience. Had me some good times on the early Nintendo consoles with Samus, Link, Mario, Megaman, Castlevania guy, Contra guy and others.

That all changed when I discovered Quake 2 in 1997, and never looked back.

6. Sarlix says:

“The Day of Tempalte”

lol that made me lol

• Tei says:

– The Day of Tentacle + JRPG (this is japan rpg, guys *wink* *wink* )

7. Supraliminal says:

Megaman and the Contra guy (Bill, didn’t really know that) are made pretty well, megaman has a tad too little friction, though.

Mario, on the other hand, didn’t quite feal like the real deal, too slow maybe? Haven’t played the original in years.

An admirable job anyways.

8. Frenz0rz says:

I hate you, Simons Quest. Best music of any Castlevania game, yet shoddy and frustrating beyond belief.

Damn fine crossover though. Samus is very well done, but I found Megaman the easiest to play. I just wish they’d picked some different music for him.

9. Magius Paulus says:

It is especially the musis themes of the characters which bring back memories. Totally agree with Simon’s Quest best music (although i loved the atmosphere of Castlevania on the SNES too). Game is funny as well :)

10. Heather Bradshaw says:

If you play this game, play it from it’s original location that the author owns to help support him at http://mariocrossover.com

• Matzerath says:

This is a FAKE SOURCE SITE sucking ad revenue from the creator. He makes special note of it on his Newgrounds page. DON’T GO HERE. It’s hiding ASSHOLES.

11. Dominic White says:

Just like to say that there’s almost no chance of this getting legally crushed. Konami, Capcom and Nintendo have, traditionally speaking, been pretty cool with fan-games. See huge sites like the Mario Fangames Galaxy – link to mfgg.net

12. Dan says:

The Newgrounds site explicitly asks that you don’t, as it’s not his…

13. jfizzle says:

Somebody get this guys comment removed. He’s just spamming, tryna make ad money, straight up lying to you that it’s the original official site. Left the exact same comment under a different name over at indiegames.com and probably other blogs.

14. r4 sdhc says:

Super Mario is one of my favourite games since childhood and in every new version of this game they come up with the new innovations and improvements.

15. pagad says:

you spelt grey wrong, Kieron

16. Tei says:

Continue here:

tl;dr version:
    everything + portal.

17. Rachel @ acne best treatment says:

Wow the crossover could be jumpy and bloody encounter.