The RPS Bargain Bucket: 14 Months

It is a special weekend this weekend. Today is the day I realised that I let the one year anniversary of the Bargain Bucket pass without mention. Just over two months ago I should have mentioned it, but it completely slipped my mind. So this is it, the first anniversary and a bit of the bargain bucket. I’ll secure a bottle of cheap wine, you get the low grade sausage rolls, and we’ll have a party. Remember to go to SavyGamer dot co dot you kay for more constantly updated cheap games.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 + Chaos Rising – £19.99/€27.49/$19.99
A much better deal for those of you residing in North America, there’s a surprise. There is a sneaky trick here that might be of use, since on their own DOW2 costs £9.99/€14.99/$14.99 and Chaos Rising costs £14.99/€14.99/$14.99. If you have one person that want’s DOW2, and one that already has DOW2, but wants Chaos Rising, it is cheaper for the second person to buy DOW2: Gold for £19.99/€27.49/$19.99, gift the spare copy of DOW2 to the first person, and then split the cost. It’s a shame that the ability to gift a spare license here is the exception to the rule. In most bundles the additional license you purchase just dissolves. RPS coverage here, demo here.

The Orange Box – £11.89/€20.99/$20.99
Valve’s super duper collection has always been one of the best deals in PC gaming, even more so when they decide to lop and extra 30% off. This additional discount coincides with Half-life 2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 joining Portal in being released for those white computers that cost lots of money, and them adding silly achievements, extra pretties, and Xbox three hundred and sixty controller support to HL2 and Episode 1 (Episode 2 already had them all). Team Fortress 2 is on the way to Mac soon. I imagine that there is not a single person reading this that hasn’t already played HL2, but if your just interested in the continuing adventures of Gordon Freeman, then HL2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 have been discounted individually too. Considering that they have had a promotion for Portal and now Half-Life 2 when the Mac versions launched, I think we can expect similar promotions for Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead 1 + 2 when they get released for Mac too. RPS coverage here. In case you weren’t sure, it is a good game.

Disciples & Jagged Alliance promo
Over at GOG, for £3.45/€4.07/$4.99 a pop, you can get the following:
Disciples: Sacred Lands,
Disciples 2: Gold,
Jagged Alliance,
Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Which one is the Goodest Old Game?

Assassin’s Creed – £4.97/€7.48/$7.48 – £2.48/€3.74/$3.74
Another loyalty discount. Depending on how much money you’ve given them in the past, you get somewhere between 50% and 75% off. It comes with Tages DRM, and it’s a fairly stupid game. It’s pretty, no matter what other criticisms are fair to make of it, it is definitely a very good looking game. The wall climbing animation is fantastic, and the huge city is of the “you can go anywhere that you can see” variety. Still, it is shallow as they come. You can disengage your brain for almost the entirety of the game. There’s lots of standing around waiting for people to say a bunch of words, and whilst in terms of performance the game runs well, the menus are very consoley. Don’t forget if you want to finish the story on the PC, you’ll have to grapple with Ubisoft’s horrible horrible broken online services platform DRM, or crack it. The story is a load of bollocks anyway, and I’m not convinced the developers actually know what is actually going on. I suppose I am being a little down on it, that is really cheap, and it is definitely pretty, and you do get to stab people. Maybe give it a whirl, but don’t get your hopes up that it will play like this trailer made me imagine it would.

Deal of the week
Sins of a solar empire – £2.76/€3.25/$3.99
I’ve not played this one yet, but I always thought that the name was phonetically delicious. It just rolls of the tongue. Jim says: “Sins is just simplistic enough for me to play it as a bulky strategic shooter – the way I like my RTS games – but also complex enough for you to feel like an entire afternoon plunged into its abyss isn’t wasted. I’m sure that when the Great Computer In The Sky judges me after my death it will criticise millions of the seconds I spent playing lesser games, but I think he’ll be okay with Sins.” RPS coverage here, demo here.

Also of note:
GamersGate sim promo
Caster – Pay what you want
Wake & Lunnye Devitsy – Pay what you want
Demigod – £6.92/€8.14/$9.99
Trine – £4.23/€4.98/$4.98
Majesty 2 – £6.25/€7.50/$7.50
Global Agenda – £18.74/€22.49/$29.99

Remember to keep CONSTANT WATCH of SavyGamer.co.uk, the home of the cheap games on the internet.

1. Hmm says:

Woah… Sins is DIRT CHEAP. No excuse not to get it now.

• Tom OBedlam says:

Right, fuck it. I’m going to have to buy it now. And forget about it for a while…

• Jayt says:

JUST finished all my assignments for the semester, seems like everything is lining up and wants me to play this game

2. gabanski83 says:

Tried the deal for the Imperial Edition of Napoleon, but the stated code only knocked a pound off the total, so it would still cost me £16.93.

• LewieP says:

Oh the sneaky devils.

They issued those coupons for this weekend, but now they have just bumped the prices of all of those games up. When I checked them last night they were all at significantly lower prices (and the prices I quoted were correct when the coupons were applied).

That’s pretty damn horrible. I’ll have a chat to my contact at the hut on Monday and call them out on their dishonesty.

• aldo_14 says:

BFBC2 is back up to 30 squid, too.

• LewieP says:

They increased the price on most games that were actually a good deal. Full details here:
      link to savygamer.co.uk

• Thermal Ions says:

That’s the sort of deceptive behaviour that’d get them in trouble with Dept of Fair Trading here.

3. Mario Figueiredo says:

>> I suppose I am being a little down on it,

No, Lewie. That’s more or less the established opinion on Assassin’s Creed after lengthy scientific research. The game pretty much sucks in a spectacular way.

• Thermal Ions says:

Mustn’t have surveyed me then, I actually enjoyed AC. Yes it was somewhat repetitive, but I did play it to completion (with the exception of not collecting every last flag).

4. Andy_Panthro says:

Jagged Alliance 2 is definitely the goodest Good Old Game in that promo.

Spent many hours with the vanilla version, and am now playing through with the 1.13 mod.

Haven’t seen anything similar that was anywhere near as good as it. Bit similar to X-Com in that regard, many have tried to make similar games but have failed on some level to capture the brilliance of the earlier games.

• Pod says:

Aside from The Orange Box, and maybe Sins, Jagged Alliance 2 is the best game in this entire post! :O

5. RC-1290Dreadnought says:

At least with the Steam version of assasins creed I got a while back, you could just unplug your network card and continue playing without the lag of constant connection attempts.

• Ravenger says:

I simply blocked the game via my firewall. Ubisoft were definitely doing something dodgy there with a single player game constantly trying to connect to the internet, and lagging it out while doing so.

Almost like a premonition of their later DRM.

6. durr says:

It’s great to see the Ubisoft DRM hate from AC2 already swapping into the description for AC1 being on sale. Yeeessssss… the hate… let it flow. Muahahhahaha

• Mario Figueiredo says:

You know, I do judge people intellectual maturity also by their use of the word “hate”.

• Tom OBedlam says:

+1 to Mario.

Its one of the tragedies of the modern English language, which I’m equally guilty of, superlatives and strong words , like ‘hate’ and ‘awesome’, have lost all real meaning.

• Thermal Ions says:

Forget I said anything. Should read slower and more carefully so as not to embarrass myself.

• abhishek says:

He has a point though. Assassins Creed does not have the persistent online DRM that it is lambasted for in this article. It is absolutely and completely incorrect.

• Tom OBedlam says:

no it isn’t.

>>>>>Don’t forget if you want to finish the story on the PC, you’ll have to grapple with Ubisoft’s horrible horrible broken online services platform DRM, or crack it. <<<<<<<

That'd be the sequel, assassin's creed 2 then probably.

• drewski says:

I read it as if you want to finish the *series* on PC – ie play the later games on your personal computer – you’ll need to have at Ubi’s mega-zilla-DRM, rather than that you need to worry about it for this game.

Buy this one on PC, play the second on 360.

• Skurmedel says:

And why does it matter what you think about people using the word ‘hate’? What is the connection with ‘intellectual maturity’ – whatever that is?

• The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

Yes, and while I too would like to see the English world revert to Victorian vernacular; it does not really say much for your intellectual maturity to be calling people out on a pc gaming website for using contemporary parlance. Really, My lords and ladies, get off your high horse(s).

A world without pedants would be a utopia indeed.

• The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

Also @durr : +1 for making the world know that the emperor palatine is a regular on rps.

7. Jimbo says:

Assassin’s Creed was aces. Benefits from being played with a 360 pad and on a big screen, if possible. Stabbing dudes in the face is a nice change of pace from shooting dudes in the face.

Wings of Prey with 50% off is hidden in amongst that GamersGate Sim pack btw. Also, Woodcutter Simulator! Finally!

• Tom OBedlam says:

hah, now I’m not the sort of man to mock someone else’s pastimes, but I’m amazed there’s a john Deere Sim market.

8. aldo_14 says:

Hmm. Seems there isn’t any sort of memorial day sale on Steam, then?

9. Haggai Elkayam says:

You forgot the Splinter Cell Elite Echelon pack for $45.99. It includes Conviction, along with the original Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory, and Double Agent.

• LewieP says:

Pretty sure I didn’t forget, I just chose not to mention.

• Brumisator says:

Yeah, DAMN YOU STEAM! tempting me with artificial rarity by having these timed discounts.
      I feel dirty for owning conviction, now >_<

It's strange that Pandora Tomorrow isn't on Steam at all…

• Film11 says:

Conviction isn’t even available in the UK on Steam, thus making the entire Elite Echelon pack unavailable for UK users. Thanks again, Ubisoft, for yet *another* reason not to buy your games.

• Shadowmancer says:

In fact all of Ubisofts latest games from Q3 2009 are not on Steam.

• bleeters says:

You could individually buy everything in that bundle from play.com for a combined cost of around £27 anyway it would seem, Conviction being the (naturally) only remotely expensive one of the lot. Presumably this is true of other retailers.

Alternatively, pickup Chaos Theory for under £5 as the only one especially worth paying for.

• LewieP says:

@bleeters

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

• Paco says:

For us that don’t have access to good retailers, this is a huge deal, not mention retail of chaos theory is with Starforce, so deal with it while we on steam don’t bother at all!

• Heliocentric says:

The best sp is chaos theory, but i am thinking that conviction might come second for me (don’t have it yet) given its richer coop.

Still, retail chaos theory has starforce so i can only recommend you buy it on steam where it doesn’t, i have retail scct cracked and starforce cleaned away however.

10. Carra says:

People are always claiming how steams price differences are the publishers fault and not Valves. Yet their own Orange Box does the same thing…

• DrGonzo says:

I’m not sure what your saying there.

• LewieP says:

The problem is, international currencies fluctuate all the time.

So, you’ve got two choices:

1. Price in one chosen standard currency, likely USD, and then have the other prices just be a realtime conversion from this, using current exchange rates. This is what Impulse and GOG do, and what Steam and GamersGate used to do. The problem with this is that it’s not good to have prices changing every day. It’s not good for a customer to see ever changing prices. You can’t do psychological pricing either, and more importantly, publishers can’t practise price discrimination. They can’t charge different customers different prices just because they are in different countries. You also can’t include taxes like VAT in the quoted price.

2. Set a price for each currency. Look at the exchange rate now, and then choose a price that is roughly (and different publishers use different definitions of roughly) the same for each region, and charge that. This means that the publisher has to absorb the impact of currency fluctuations. This is what Steam, D2D, and GamersGate do. The problem with this is that publishers will abuse this. Lots of publishers just use this as a way to charge people more because they can.

Neither system is perfect.

• Archonsod says:

Option 3 – charge me in your own currency and let Paypal worry about the conversion :P

• Jesus says:

I think it’s an error in RPS article, on my steam it says price is 16.09 Euro, which is almost exactly 20$

(19.9258 to be precise)

• LewieP says:

What part of Europe are you in? Steam seperates Europe into 3 tiers, and often charges different prices to each. I tend to just quote the price from the biggest tier, which is also the most expensive.

Wisq says:

Option 4: Tell the game publishers they can only set the price in one standard currency (either their choice or yours), and then you’ll do the conversions and lock it at those prices.

At that point, it plays out like #2, but without the regional price gouging, because they only decide one region’s price and you set the others accordingly.

• Carra says:

I do prefer the gog.com way of doing things. Everyone pays the same.

And in any case, I do have an option 3. Offer us three currents but let us choose in which one we pay. In other words, no “you can not buy this game in your country”. If I want to pay in pounds, let me pay in pounds.

And your point 1 doesn’t explain why we have 3 euro tiers. That has nothing to do with exchangement rates.

• LewieP says:

You’re right, that is just something that Valve let publishers do if they want, and Valve do it themselves.

Most likely because they can. They know that they will get more money that way.

• TRS-80 says:

Option 5: Price everything in fake money, like XBL and GfW do.

11. jarvoll says:

Is SoaSE worth getting Impulse for? I’m only interested in it in the it’s-an-acclaimed-game way, I have no particular yen for it (hence my waiting until this kind of sale to consider it).

• DrGonzo says:

You don’t need Impulse for it really. If your really opposed to it you can uninstall it and Sins will work fine.

• Collic says:

I’ve played it for a bit, but I don’t own it. You’ll enjoy it if you like 4x/ rts games. Be warned though, it has no plot to speak of – the scenarios are all sandbox or abstracted scenarios in a similar mold to gal civ 2.
      So, if a structured campaign with a narrative is something you need to get stuck into a game, it might not grab you. It’s definitely a great game, just not for everyone.

• DrGonzo says:

Also, I think it’s worth comparing it to an RTS. Say Supreme Commander? That crossed with GalCiv2 I think. I’m not a massive 4x fan and I really enjoy it.

Also, bear in mind that 1 game can take weeks or months. It’s very slow moving.

• Laneford says:

Sold!

• Archonsod says:

“Incidentally, I haven’t really been keeping an eye on any of the expansions I know have come out, so does anyone know if any of that has changed – does it have a campaign these days ?”

Nope, still no campaign. Entrenchment does shift the game fundamentally though. Diplomacy is a bit more subtle.

• RadioactiveMan says:

Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations are two halves of the same Stardock Entertainment coin. One is an RTS and one is turn-based; one has detailed tactical controls and a more abstract big-picture, the other has the opposite

I’d put forward Sword of the Stars by Paradox as a hybrid of the two, with turn based play on a galactic map, but also some limited tactical control in battles.

All three games are pretty awesome, but they all require a big time commitment. Still, if you’ve got some spare time and a decent attention span, you can’t go wrong!

• Heliocentric says:

Neither gal civ or soase are sword of the stars, but at £2.40 its certainly worth a go. If the demo doesn’t annoy you buy it i guess.

I don’t have any of the expansions, mainly because the didn’t do anything i was interested in, hell i think the actually made the game worse by complicating the balance and splitting the player base.

• Vinraith says:

@Heliocentric

I would argue that Gal Civ 2 is the equal of SotS (high praise indeed), just very differently focused. Sins doesn’t even belong in this conversation, as it’s no more a 4X game than Starcraft.

• Heliocentric says:

I find the gal civ’s lack of combat, research and logistical depth a death blow to my enjoyment of what is constrained to a single player experience which is only challenge worthy when the ai cheat, or team up on you.

• Vinraith says:

@Heliocentric

Which is fair, but obviously it’s a matter of taste. I find the colony management, empire building, and alternative routes to victory very gratifying, and have generally found the AI to present a solid challenge. Outside the setting GC2 and SotS are about as far on opposite ends of their own subgenre as they could possible be, but I love ’em both.

• Fumarole says:

Sins doesn’t belong in a conversation about Sins being on sale?

• malkav11 says:

Sins may be interesting if you like story-free, slow moving RTSes set in space – Sins being about the only member of that category, actually. It’s not actually a 4X in any meaningful way and for someone like me who doesn’t enjoy skirmishes in RTSes, much less multiplayer, it’s pretty much wasted money.

Wisq says:

But hey, at least this week, it’s very little wasted money, right? ;)

• The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

Sins is a good laugh, but I found it got old fast (I never upgraded to the expansion) If you like both rts and 4x you should give it a bash, as it bridges the gap somewhat (but leans toward rts-ish) Equally GalCiv is great but ultimately limited, and in no way satisfy’s my lust to be a galactic overlord/utter space-bastard.
      I still havent bought Distant World (partially due to the fact that Matrix keeps refusing my payment – for some abstract reason) but im GAGGING for a decent sci-fi 4x that gives me the freedom and tools to create what I want to create.

Also i want Dominions 4 whith a crazy diplomacy system and a dynamic campaign. I will die unfulfilled.

• MajorManiac says:

@ The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey :

Have you ever played Pax Imperia – Eminent Domain?

I bought it back in 97 (I think) and its still the best 4x game to me. Its in real-time and does allot of what Impirum Galactica did, but allot better.

When I googled the name the 2nd link to appear seemed to be to an abondonware website. I’m not sure if its legit so use at your own discretion.

• The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

You mean the c-net link? Its a demo – but its made me want to track down a full version – I cant believe I never heard of this one (and it was developed by blizzard!) Good spot MajorManiac

• cjlr says:

@MajorManiac

Holy shit Pax Imperia is one of my favourite games ever. Was it ’97 when it came out? Holy goddamn. I impulse-bought a bargain bin copy a couple years later. My nine year old self really sucked at it, but it was totally awesome anyways. I still play that thing.

@The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey
      Long handle, man… It wasn’t so much developed by blizzard as temporarily owned by blizzard – published by THQ and developed by Heliotrope, if I recall. Man, what ever happened to heliotrope, anyway? Good luck finding a copy…

12. HexagonalBolts says:

Is the Wake & Lunnye Devitsy pack worth getting? Donation schemes are a difficult one normally, let alone for two games I’ve never heard of

13. Nick says:

Jagged Alliance 2 is superb, I highly reccomend it if you even remotely like turn based squad level strategy. The 1.13 patch and never ending updates just add to that, although can be a bit confusing if you don’t read into it carefully and edit a few things to suit your tastes.

14. Alexander Norris says:

For the Jagged Alliance games, there’s no point in getting any of them except Jagged Alliance 2 vanilla (no Unfinished Business/Wildfire), as that’s all you need to run the 1.13 community patch (which adds all the good stuff from the expansions anyway).

• Mario Figueiredo says:

And also fixes a lot of the balance issues, if my memory is serving me right. The game was exceedingly difficult to play by the later stages.

• Vinraith says:

@Alexander

Thanks for that, all those expansions are somewhat confusing for the uninitiated.

15. Mark says:

Bargain bucket has been great I must say. Paradoxically however I have probably spent more money on games as a result!

16. Rikard Peterson says:

“I imagine that there is not a single person reading this that hasn’t already played HL2”

Single person raises hand. I don’t think I will get HL2 anyway, as shooters isn’t really my cup of tea, but I’m enjoying playing Portal for the first time.

17. Xocrates says:

Hum… Steam is telling me the Orange Box is 16.09€, not 20.99€

18. Lewis says:

Lewie: So, the other week, in the pub, when I said, “So you must have been doing Bargain Bucket about a year now, right?” And you said, “No, no, definitely not a year,” you were FILTHILY LYING?!

19. Dave says:

On a side note, I thought the boobalicious Evony ads were gone? There’s one now.

Orange Box is a STEAL at this price. So is Sins, even though I really only played it for a week due to lack of attention span. Ooh, a squirrel!

20. Vinraith says:

Ah Sins, why does everyone like you so much? You’re too shallow to be a good 4X and too slow and simplistic to be a good RTS (and that’s from someone that prefers his RTS’s slow and thoughtful). Sure, you’re pretty and the scale of it all is impressive, but all you’ve really got going for you is looks. Still, at that price it’s not like it matters, most people will spend a few hours just watching that cool hyperspace animation.

It’s worth noting that Sins has two DLC’s, $10 apiece. One of them is a reasonably cool-looking expansion of defensive options that adds space stations and such. The other is a much-needed patch for the horribly broken vanilla diplomacy system, which I honestly think they have a lot of nerve charging for.

• Heliocentric says:

I think of sins as a nice platform to practise micro management. You can get by without so much as a hotkey but tanking, flanking and (banking?) managing skirmishes can be quite deep. Especially when carriers and fighters/bombers are involved. Indeed a fighter fleet is king against all except for a few capital ships and super cheap and otherwise useless flak ships.

Can be quite deep as a micro task :)

• Vinraith says:

@Heliocentric

Now that’s intriguing. Sins is very much in the “all the ships stop moving, point at each other, and shoot” school of space combat. In the past, moving anything from that configuration seemed to be disadvantageous, because whole moving many of them don’t fire (or don’t fire accurately) so you’re just opening yourself up to unreturned enemy fire. Has that changed? Exterior of using the special abilities on your heroes (oh, sorry, capital ships) what more is there, really? Flanking? I’ve never seen any clear evidence that ships are weaker from the sides or the like. Enlighten me.

• Heliocentric says:

Carriers are always/pretty much unarmed but their guns are the craft they launch. So carriers can run away and still pose a threat. And capital ships recharging skills allow them to fight guerilla combat.

Flanking is done on a larger scale, use a force to draw someone out them slam against their pink fleshy bits.

Microing the fire area of you units can massively blunt things like missile rushes.

21. Shalrath says:

and what Steam and GamersGate used to do.

They actually still do that for Canada. I tend to buy steam games, on sale, when the Canadian dollar is high. It fluctuated very high recently, and I managed to get a 20 dollar US game for 20.10 CDN, or something.

22. Kevin says:

I feel… like a dumbass…

I let out a giant “Goddammit!” audible over the entire continental US when I read that both DoW II and Chaos Rising was on sale for 20 bones, just when I purchased it this last week for 40.

Makes me wish Valve had some system where they could hand out tokens for games that cost the difference of the discount when you bought a game just BEFORE it went on sale :(

Wisq says:

But then you’d be pissed off if you bought the game just before the pre-sale-discount-token cutoff point. :)

• Mr_Day says:

Did you buy them through Steam? If not, fair enough, it’s an irritating thing to have happen but you can’t predict it.

But Steam is so expensive compared to retail, and their sales are usually fantastic value for money, I have given up buying on Steam unless they have a sale on.

23. IvanHoeHo says:

I love Jagged Alliance 2, but it pisses me off so much how you can’t really tell what field of view your guys have until the dreaded red crosshairs shows up; and even then, half the time you have no idea what’s the obstruction and how you can clear it..

It’s the kind of game that’s GOT to be in 3D. That’s why I play silent storm instead, even though it’s less good.

• Dominic White says:

Erm, there’s a button somewhere (I think it’s tab or alt or something?) that shows your characters full lines of sight, along with highlighted obstructions. Look at the instructions files.

• Dominic White says:

link to ja2v113.pbworks.com – full list here. It’s DEL and END to show best cover and current LoS.

24. Wooly says:

Who put the fucking Evony ads on this site!? D:<

25. RadioactiveMan says:

Yo, sins of a solar empire, galactic civilizations, and sword of the stars are all great games, and I’ll let you finish arguing about them… But, clearly, we can all agree: Ascendancy was the greatest empire-in-space strategy game of all time. OF ALL TIME!

:D yay, Logic Factory!

• Vinraith says:

@Radioactiveman

Ascendancy was awesome, easily my favorite 4X of its era. I’m sure I’d still be playing it to this day if the AI wasn’t braindead to the point of non-existent (even with the aggressor patch).

• DrazharLn says:

Why have I never even heard of this game before? RPS, I am disappoint.

Downloaded and ready to go, anyone know if there’s any sound?

• Vinraith says:

@DrazharLn

Yes, there’s sound. No, you may not be able to get it working. Are you using DOSbox?

• DrazharLn says:

I’ve got it working now in DOSBOX. Thanks :)

26. devlocke says:

So the general consensus is that, if I wanted to try a Jagged Alliance game, I would be stupid to buy the first one, as I had planned, and should just buy the sequel? There’s no plot or anything that would make starting with the second one uncool?

• Dominic White says:

Aside from a few returning mercenaries, there’s nothing that links the first and second games, yeah. On top of that, the first game is a much simpler, lighter thing. It’s not even isometric!

• sinister agent says:

I found the second to be so much better in every way to the first that I can think of no reason to play the first. Really.

It doesn’t help that, while both games are fearsomely hard, the first was completely unfair as well, at least at the beginning – you pretty much had to win about ten pitched battles in a row without anyone even getting injured, or you’d run out of money and lose the game. I liked it, but it was far too frustrating and felt completely rigged.

The second one is very tough indeed, and you do have to win several battles in succession, but there’s not so much time pressure, and you can pick up some weapons that can even the odds quite soon after starting. I’ve just had to cut myself off and delete another sentence before I start gushing, but it bears repeating that the second effectively makes the first one obsolete.

• Nick says:

Besides, you can’t mockingly send flowers to an evil tyranical queen in the first one.

• Dominic White says:

Even better, you actually get to see the reaction to the flowers. The ‘meanwhile…’ cutscenes in Jagged Alliance 2 are great, and really hammer home that this may be a realistic tactical game, but the characters are as cartoonish as you can get.

27. Vinraith says:

You know, if DoW2 required Steam and used Steam’s multiplayer platform that would be one thing, but what the hell is the sense in requiring Steam and then also requiring GfWL for multiplayer? PICK ONE, and when you do so pick Steam because it has its faults, but it doesn’t suck anywhere near as hard as GfWL on balance.

28. Mahkia says:

Yes, this pay what you want bundle is entirely legit, and the money goes directly to the developers. Indie devs need all the funds they can get, and since you can pay a mere dollar (or whatever) for these, there’s no real reason not do.

29. Mik says:

Oh man I bought Wake at full price a few weeks ago. Great little gem though.
    everyone needs Trine and Caster too.

30. Miles of the Machination says:

@LewieP I’m sure you’ve probably noticed, but I’ve tried from two browsers and your website doesn’t appear to be working.

31. LewieP says:

My hosting said “The server is currently being rebooted after a system crash”

5 hours ago.

I’m pretty pissed off. Angry email in the morning if it is not back up.

32. biscotti says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BUCKET!

Pretty much every gaming purchase I’ve made in the last 12 14 months has been because of an RPSBB.

Congrats Lewie on making something awesome and here’s to many more.

• mcwizardry says:

Congratulations on a great RPS feature and thanks for all your research in the past 14 months !!!

33. mcnubbins says:

Yes, congrats, and may the bargain bucket continue for a long time to come. Many great deals have I found through here that I would not have noticed otherwise.

34. pinbag says:

Hegemony: Philip of Macedon is att halft the price over att Impulse !!!!
    And also Gratious space battle !!!

I think this sdould be intresting for some people ^^

35. The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

As I side note, ive only just realised that lewiePs gravatar is not, infact, Coach Z from Homestar runner.
    What is the world coming to…

36. Mr_Day says:

If anyone cares (I did) Independance War Deluxe is on GoG, and has been for a ickle while now. It might just be me, but I think $5.99 for I War and the expansion might count for the bargain bit here.

Sadly, I have been having issues with it, and once they were sorted a different set cropped up, but the majority of users seem to be finding it works fine and I really do recomend it. Some of the best missions and space-based combat there is, and it is different enough from Freespace to say that. By which I mean the flight mechanics, which are the old newtonian physics from Frontier, coupled with the fact you are piloting a capital ship instead of a fighter, leads to some fantastic engagements.

The mission structure is fantastic, each one being a small story that isn’t always solved via the “Turn up, blast things, end mission” approach*. Several of the missions have alternate endings which can set you off down different paths – the first time I ever played it I didn’t realise what was going on and signed up with the bad guys by mistake. They were very convincing, mind.

* Which is why I got angry that the news article claiming it had been released included the line “One of our testers said it was Mechwarrior – in space!”, but not as much as when they claimed Aquanox was “like Freespace, only underwater!”**

** Aquanox is shit.

37. Ravenger says:

Independence War seems to work better using a different glide wrapper (dgVoodoo) than the one GOG supplied with the game, with the big plus that you can then run the 3D part of the game at very high resolution which makes the game look much better on modern machines, and the screen scales properly too. Fixed a problem with movies blurring for me also.
    Some users seem to have problems with it though, so your mileage may vary.
    It’s an absolute miracle they’ve got it working as well as they have though. The game was almost impossible to get working on Windows 7 or XP previously.
    There seems to be a bit of a compatibility gap in PC gaming. DOS games work via DOSbox, and later games designed for DirectX 7 and above generally work well, but anything designed for Windows 95/98 with software rendering or using graphics API’s like 3Dfx Glide have massive problems with modern machines.

• Mr_Day says:

I had to use dgVoodoo to get it to work at all, with the supplied one it just corrupted the menus or crashed with a Brender error.

Now it just randomly crashes to desktop when in game. Might try -xsound next.

38. Damian says:

I’ve just finished arguing with Steam about DoW II:CR – I purchased it for $14.99 and they charged me $19.99. Apparently they altered the pricing between me hitting submit and them charging my card.

Although they have now finally refunded me, they are still not prepared to admit any wrong. It’s a little tiring.