Fiat Flux: Aeon Flux Episodes

DEATH TO THOSE WHO WEAR BLUE! And - c'mon! You have to be impressed by the strapline pun. It's showing an education or something.

This stand-alone fan-project caught my eye because an Ex of mine was vaguely into the cartoon and she never got around to actually showing it me. Hell, I totally forgot they made it into a film a few years ago. So Aeon Flux Episodes is the closest I’ll get. Anyway – this is very much in the line of Prince of Persia/Another World/Flashpoint and in its adult-if-stilted platforming. Lots of points for style though, with the foreground and background elements moving around and a low-leaning difficulty to let you mow down masses of the opposition with dual-wielded guns. Pointing in both directions. That’s the way to do it. My main reservation is that the checkpoints are a long, long way apart and when extreme falls are insta-deaths, it can lead to a disconcerting level of back-tracking – especially when the game, generally speaking, is an easy ride. The site lists various places you can get its 60Mb form from but ModDB is probably the easiest. And the trailer follows which shows lots of nifty stuff I didn’t get to…

1. Johnny Morris' Zootime says:

Flashback :/

2. DK says:

It certainly nails the weird Aeon Flux style. Without the hyper-violence though, which is probably a good thing if it has as much combat as that trailer implies. Swimming through hip-deep rivers of blood in a realistically horrifying way would turn people off.

• Gritz says:

It misses a lot of the acrobatic style that Aeon had though. She didn’t trudge through corridors, she leapt through them and bounced off walls. (And often fell to her death.)

3. Alexander Norris says:

This is amazingly Flashback-like, more than anything else. So much so that it seems to be practically a sequel with a reskin.

Since Flashback was one of my favourite games of all time, I’m downloading this.

4. bitkari says:

I absolutely love Aeon Flux.

Peter Chung needs to make some more stuff. Immediately.

5. Mistabashi says:

Agreed, this the most Flashback-like thing I’ve seen since, err, Flashback. Although it does look a lot more shooty-bang-bang than flashback, which is perhaps a shame. Still, bonus points for the elevator!

• Maxheadroom says:

I was about to post a reply till i realised it would have been word for word what you just said.

Get out of my head!!!

6. Diziet says:

I think he meant the game flashback but yeah. Liquid TV rocked. I have AeonFlux on VHS somewhere along with a decent copy of the Herodotus Files and some of the scores to the series on cd. I’m not a fan or anything. Must play… ;)

• Antsy says:

Heh I realised my error as I pressed the post button :)

Flashback was lush on the amiga. I’m amazed its never been updated.

7. karthik says:

I would pay to play Flashback. The abandonware/dosbox version doesn’t run on Win 7, and I couldn’t save my game back in Win XP. I hope GOG does something about it.

8. Huw says:

Christ Kieron, you are totally missing out. Seriously. Aeon Flux is one of the most remarkable things I have seen on TV. The central relationship between Aeon and Trevor Goodchild – arch rivals, no less – is one of the most compelling in all of fiction. Very smart dialogue in general, too, and utterly insane ideas abound.

Pity about the absolute travesty that was the film, eh guys?

• Matzerath says:

I didn’t see the film and rarely think of it in relation to the original cartoon. I live in a fantasy-world of selective exclusion, thank God. If I get trapped into harsh reality I just pretend I’ve been whisked to an alternate dimension where A-Team and Karate Kid are on movie marquees in 2010.

• D says:

Huge Aeon Flux fan. I didn’t mind the movie much. A few miscast IMO, but the storyline of the universe has always been massively confusing (on purpose). So I’ve always just accepted it as a long sub-par episode. Charlize is pure eye candy tho.

• Bhazor says:

I couldn’t stand the talky episodes.
      For me it’s the original shorts or nothing.

• Wulf says:

I loved both the shorts and the talky episodes, both were welcome, sparkling minducks in the vast sea of trite dullness that is most television.

9. Dominic White says:

Oh wow, the music in that trailer. I don’t know why, but Amiga-era MOD tracker music just burrows straight into a particularly squishy and sensitive part of my brain and fills me with glee.

• Wulf says:

Likewise.

That’s why I often tune in to online radio stations like Nectarine, good stuff, there.

I miss Back to the Roots’ radio, I wish they’d get that up and running again.

But yes, MOD music is made of joy and squirrels.

10. l1ddl3monkey says:

I have been trying to totally forget they made a film of it a few years ago.

11. D says:

While it is a very nice game and everything, I advice not to die. I like the touch of respawning Aeon, rather than restarting the level, but it really breaks the game when lifts don’t reset to their intended start position and there is no way to call them down :(
    Enjoyed it a lot while it lasted.

12. fuggles says:

Would be tons better if the enemies shot each other so when you popped in to one of those alcoves then they mowed each other down

13. Matthew says:

Kieron, you have to watch the cartoon. Seriously. Forget the movie. It doesn’t exist.

14. haircute says:

Love love love love Aeon Flux. I would tape liquid television every sunday when I was in grade school and the shorts just really made me so happy. SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!

15. Helm says:

Hopeful for this. The person that made it clearly understands the subtle graces of Flashback, not just the Prince-of-Persia-only-stricter surface movement model. I see nuances like shooting while you land from a jump, turning while hanging from a platform, all sorts of goodies. Excellent, excellent. Will download, will play.

16. haircute says:

I have played it some. Definitely a lot of potential although I couldn’t do a few of the flashback moves (pulling out gun after a jump, rolling) but I would be excited to play a finished version. When I hit the part where the Bregnan troops are running in the background and the scenery scrolls just right I felt like I was playing the show. Shooting in two directions while running is glorious though.

17. Sonic Goo says:

Ooooooh! Aeon Flux! Me like!

18. Anthony says:

Cartoony Flashback with females in suggestive clothing – exactly what I want from PC gaming.

Lars Westergren says:

Another fan of the original shorts here. One episode almost had me in tears actually.

It is the one where Aeon is bitten by robotic mosquito and then cloned by eternal dictator Trevor (so he can control her), then she breaks in and swaps places with the clone. Trevor falls in love with her, and it turns out she had planned all this and the clone was supposed to murder the original Aeon after Trevor falls in love…. all this *just to make him feel bad*.

However, she falls in love with him too and tries to change the plan.. but when the clone is about to be killed, original Aeon sacrifices herself so her clone (but in spirit still Aeon the eternal rebel) can escape.

Guard: “She is still within firing range sir, shall we shoot?”
    Trevor: “No…. let her go….let her go.”

20. Dave says:

I’ve never even heard of Flashback. This puts Prince of Persia and Rolling Thunder in mind, though. Maybe even Impossible Mission.

21. Igor Hardy says:

I loved the Aeon Flux show. Flashback too. The game looks a bit too monotonous though.

22. Drew Neumann says:

I miss Aeon too. I am glad to see that there are still fans out there–and I wish Peter would be allowed to do new episodes. It was one of the best things on MTV in the 90’s. I am biased, of course…
    I am remastering the soundtrack and releasing longer versions of the score (and a bunch of things that never made it on the album)
    “Eye Spy” is going to be a 3 volume set downloadable at http://www.droomusic.com