I Like It When It Burns A Bit: Atomic Butcher

Hey Jim! Do you like it when it burns a bit? 'I like it when it burns a bit'. And John? Do YOU like it when it burns a bit? 'I like it when it burns a bit'.

Antlia nodded at this, despite Atomic Butcher being terribly old – you’ll need at least Windows 98, spec-watchers. It’s a retro side-on platform adventure game, complete with death-messages in the subject line as if it were 1994 again and its control system – I quote – “blatantly stolen from the game Abuse“. The main reason why I blog it isn’t that it’s an expansive freeware action game. It’s because you play a character whose default weapon is radioactive urine. And, if you direct your stream into a fire, it ignites, making it EVEN MORE DEADLY. We need to mediate upon this, and decide that whether this actually is the true spiritual sequel to Fallout we were all waiting for. You can download it from here or find some footage below. What’s your favourite urine based weapons, readers?

Alas, I can’t find a full version of Cobra Killer’s song which gives this post its title. It’s on Spotify though.

1. FatRat says:

I can only think of one other Urine-based weapon… Postal 2 lets you piss on people. They usually get angry when you do (or throw up). heh

• Vague-rant says:

Postal 2 was a very realistic game in that respect.

• Ricc says:

And because it’s an FPS and all, you could even piss upright into the air. Oh Postal 2…

• Quasar says:

I just woke up, and totally read these comments as being about Portal 2.

Pissing through portals would be kinda cool though.

• radomaj says:

I can only think of one other Urine-based weapon

Jarate?

• DJ Phantoon says:

I have been shown who is the boss!

Tony Danza is the boss!

• n3gs says:

I think there was even a cheat to let you piss fire.

• Bret says:

Jarate’s more about the jar, really.

Jar based Karate and all that.

2. robrob says:

Postal 2 is the obvious go-to for urine weapons but I also remember a delightful Max Payne mod that let you urinate anywhere you pleased. It didn’t do anything except to humiliate your enemies so I am not sure it counts as a weapon.

3. James G says:

Windows 98?! I’m perfectly fine with Windows 95 thank you. I don’t see why I should have to upgrade when Windows 95 is serving me perfectly well, I mean its just laziness that developers aren’t supporting it.

Ahh, the more things change eh?

4. Nallen says:

What are our options here, there’s a Jar-o-piss in TF2 isn’t there and could you piss on people in a Postal game?

Having never used either I’m going to have to sit this one out!

5. Metalfish says:

There was also that Southpark game on N64 where you could powerup your snowballs to be deadly yellow snow.

Ick.

6. Inigo says:

Oh, memories. I haven’t played this for years. I remember replacing all the mp3 files with Rammstein.
    It worked rather well.

7. liq3 says:

Conker’s Bad Fur Day. The part where you gotta piss on the rock dudes and push them into holes.

All of you people who missed this better go play CBFD again (you have played it at least once?) to atone for your gaming sins.

8. Jon says:

I’m amazed that nobody’s mentioned jarate yet. I suspect that’s partially due to the disassociation with the fluff people playing TF2 have; it isn’t piss, it’s an AOE debuff. After all the ruckus when jarate was first added, it seems that people have forgotten that they’re chucking bottles of piss round the battlefield.
    I suppose the fact that it doesn’t act like piss helps; getting set on fire, then pissed on inflicts low damage; getting pissed on and then set on fire inflicts huge damage.

9. nk says:

Actually Nallen mentioned it as a “Jar-o-piss”. Of course he was mistaken, since it really is Jarate, the Jar-based karate.
    Plus, unlike Atomic Butchern it actually extinguishes people on fire in TF2.

• Malibu Stacey says:

It extinguishes teammates on fire. Enemies on fire take 35% more damage per burn regardless of whether you hit them with it before or after they’re burning.

10. baf says:

American McGee’s Grimm had a urine-based weapon. Actually, it was normally a urine-based navigation aid: if you stood still for a moment, you’d start peeing, and the stream would show you the trajectory you’d follow if you jumped from that position. But there was a “burning pee” powerup that temporarily turned it into a weapon as well.

Also, although it isn’t really a weapon, there’s I’m OK, the game created in response to Jack Thompson’s sarcastic 2005 challenge to create a game about wreaking violence on the game industry. Thompson’s spec specifically included peeing on the corpses.

11. krampus says:

My friend made this urine soaked platformer for his senior thesis project. link to barrysbadnight.com

12. baf says:

Whoops, sorry.

13. Jayt says:

I do remember pissing in conker’s bad fur day, which was a brilliant game

14. Moogsi says:

And yet, you never see him drink anything…

15. Paradukes says:

It’s not a videogame, but Doyt/Haban in Schlock Mercenary is capable of of peeing weapons-grade acid and spitting explosives. He’s also capable of *ahem* “laying shaped charges”.

16. AndrewC says:

Wouldn’t the flames spread in both directions from the point of ignition? I’m sorry, this is completely unfeasible.

• Karthik says:

If your stream is faster than the flame propagation speed, it should be OK. Tough luck if your bladder starts to empty, though.

There are other complications, of course.

17. Clovis says:

I know there was urine (and a urineologist or whatever) in Penny Arcade Adventures, but I can’t remember if it ever got weaponized.

18. Crapknocker says:

Can’t believe no one has gone oldschool and recalled Redneck Rampage. Although there it only gave you like 1 health and wasn’t a weapon, but it was still urine!

19. Pod says: