Greed Letter Day: Deadly Sin 2

That pun header is too complicated and doesn't work but I'm in a rush. Man!

What could have drawn four such strange individuals together? And why are two ready for combat, and the other two just sort of posing? And why are they fighting an angel anyway? All the answers can be uncovered in just-released indie-RPG Deadly Sin 2. Never played Deadly Sin 1? Don’t worry – like Final Fantasy, they’re all unconnected. Don’t know what it looks like? Well, look at the trailers below. Want to play it for an hour before throwing down cash? There’s a demo that allows exactly that. Rhetorical questions? No answers required. That’s why they’re rhetorical.

1. Handsome Dead says:

Who would want to pay 13 quid for some generic RPG maker stuff =/

• Tei says:

It depends.
      There are a lot of RPG made with RPG maker and these type of tools. I am sure the best of the best of the best, the 0.1% of these RPG can be very good. Already in the video looks like varied. So the question now is, based on the style, you totally rejects it? I know I reject it, but I am not blind to a potential unknom quality here.

• BooleanBob says:

Tei’s new avatar seems strangely fitting somehow.

• JohnnyMaverik says:

Would you pay 13 quid for Chrono Trigger?

To be honest though this doesn’t look all that…

2. HexagonalBolts says:

or £21.43 if you want it on CD……

3. RuySan says:

Looks the same as every other 16-bit jRPG…..Even to the airship cliche.

4. Wednesday says:

Why is the woman dressed as a magic themed prostitute?

After my physically imposing, actually-looks-like-a-soldier Sheppard I really tire of such crap

• Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Funny, you’d think someone would tell Jack to put on a shirt, her tattoos don’t count as clothing. Miranda and Samara could also do well to zip up a bit.

Just sayin’.

• DrazharLn says:

I didn’t use Samara for two reasons: all her abilities were naff (I was really expecting throw to be awesome, so disappointed) and I don’t what cleavage in my face.

I thought Miranda was ok, especially with the change of clothing.

• wds says:

I did like the bit where one of the NPC’s basically tells Miranda she should put some clothes on. At least Bioware have a sense of humour about their shameless fan service.

5. Jad says:

“… just-released indie-RPG Deadly Sin 2. Never played Deadly Sin 2? Don’t worry – like Final Fantasy, they’re all unconnected”

I think you mean “Never played Deadly Sin 1?”

6. TheApologist says:

Well, in the face of mocking and negativity, I kinda like this stuff.

The character designs and plots are no dumber, tired or more offensive than Western gaming tropes, and when done well JRPG’s can be funny, self-knowing and comfortingly familiar in their mechanics.

7. fearian says:

This game looks like it was made out of love for the genre, and will likely mainly appeal to fans of the genre. But I would urge everyone not to be put off by the snes era visuals – I lost ALOT of time getting sucked into Exit Fate a while back, which was another ‘absolute best of the best cream of the crop’ RPG maker game. It really pushed the engine and was bursting with content and I recommend everyone give it a go.

However its also free so I can’t recommend this £12 deadly sin game when I know for a fact that Exit Fate is amazing and free. If your looking for a quality Snes style RPG, give it a whirl.

• Seol says:

Funny that, I actually loved Last Scenario, but didn’t quite enjoy Exit Fate, the tactic part was too simplistic for my taste. Both of them are worth a try, regardless.

• dadioflex says:

oooh, thanks for that. Downloading both games now.

8. disperse says:

Gorgeous pixel art.

That said, do designers of JRPGs just add a couple zeroes onto the end of all the numbers? I mean, 11,689 hp, really?

• Antithesis says:

What? In Epic Battle Fantasy and it’s sequel, you have 99,999 hp, but it’s still a challenge not to die sometimes.

• Jad says:

Heh. I remember the first time I played a D&D videogame (Planescape (!), I think), I was surprised at how low the numbers were. Max level is 20? A weapon that adds only +2 to an attack? Enemies with only 20 hit points? Craziness!

• Crane says:

Arrrgh!
      Spotting this, I just want to chime in and mention how much that IRRITATES me!

The vast majority of the time, you could divide all the numbers in a jRPG by ten or a hundred, and it would make NO DIFFERENCE to the gameplay – it’s not as if they’re actually using them for extra precision in balancing or anything, they just want BIG NUMBERS!

This annoys me because it takes up more room on my screen and makes it harder to calculate stats.

• Antithesis says:

@Crane
      This is because JRPG makers are sneaky bastards. They don’t want you to calculate, they want you to guess – so that when they put out more games you will remember your pleasant surprise when something you did went right.

• Arathain says:

This is probably the thing I like least about JRPGs, which I otherwise I get a fair amount out of. The total obfuscation of the core game mechanics with pointlessly big numbers. My fighter hits a has an Attack of 133 so I hit a Dumb Beetle for 385 damage but a Death Sparrow I hit for 241 damage… pointless and nonsensical.

I think the D20-type systems work great for computer RPGs, because of their basic comprehensibility. They’re still complex to allow some enjoyable munchkin-style powergaming if that’s your thing, but every mechanic can be followed without the aid of a 6 page spreadsheet.

You know what worked great? Paper Mario: Thousand year Door for the Gamecube. Mario started with 10 hitpoints, and did a basic damage of 1, and it never got so complex that you couldn’t work out the numbers in a split second in your head. It all worked brilliantly, without losing a scrap of the complexity and customising we all enjoy.

9. Xercies says:

Oo i do love me some SNES era JRPGs sometimes, but I do have to say there are many great ones that are for free using that wngine so i don’t know if i would pay for one. i have been very spoiled i think.

10. bakaohki says:

“Enter a world of conflict” – that’s when I pressed stop. I leave in a f***ing world of conflict and I’m getting tired of it. Can’t we fall back to entertainment? We may start by skipping overused crappy cliches…

• Wulf says:

Indeed. How about ‘Enter a world of imagination, novelty, and unadulterated fun’?

Games could use more of that, as they usually have so little creativity.

1. You are an exceedingly average human.
      2a. You’re in a boring fantasy setting which is very staid and D&D.
      2b. You’re in a boring sci-fi settiing which is sort of like the world today, except metal, with nothing really all that high-tech or amazing present.
      2c. You’re in a near-future world, this basically means that you have slightly more interesting toys than the real world does, but only slightly!
      2d. You’re in a poorly portrayed real world setting, you want to settle down on a farm, but you have to kill 300 gangstas to get there.
      3. Have a gun/shiny future-gun/sword/magicks.
      4. Kill things.
      5. Kill more things.
      6. What, you’re bored? Have a different gun/shiny future-gun/sword/spell. You want a spell-slinging laser-gunsword? Tough, that would be too fun for you, you can’t handle it.
      7. Kill those people.
      8. You want fun? Murder some innocent bystanders or something. Except some of them are invincible.
      9. You committed a miniature-genocide!
      10. CRAP ENDING.

x.x

It really bothers me how dull and unimaginative most of gaming is, these days.

11. Sagan says:

I’m going to give this a chance. The Spirit Engine 2 turned out great, and maybe this one will, too. But I don’t really expect it, and I guess that within five minutes I will be annoyed by the characters and will turn off the demo, as I’m wont to do with JRPGs.

12. Count Elmdor says:

I’d be all over this 15 years ago.

13. Kommissar Nicko says:

@Jad: For me it was Neverwinter Nights, but I did the same thing. I came into P&P RPGs through JRPGs, so imagine my surprise finding out that under 100 hit points was the norm.

14. Tuco says:

Yay, generic JRPG #234512! This looks so amazingly average!

15. Fenixp says:

So THAT’S how romance looks like!

16. pipman300 says:

okay this is confusing me is this based on peggle or what i don’t see bjorn anywhere and this might be bevause i ‘m drunk but i think the dyide in the top screenshot has a weird lookikng sword is it a really thin cllaymore are claymores thin or is it like a lomng long sord also is the woman'[s spear really thick or the sword really thin because they’re the same thickness and what’s with the angel is this some megatan shin megami tensei stuff whre hod is an asshole or something so you have to kill him?????

17. Lloyd says:

The battle animations are really well done. Gotta’ applaud the creator for the effort — it’s no easy feat creating and actually finishing an RPG, even in RPG Maker.

But I am tired of the generic fantasy settings and boring turn-based combat, which has inspired me (and a friend) to make our own 16-bit style RPG in XNA (link to mindtankstudios.com). We begin our game in a similarly generic setting, but only so we can turn everything on its head.

18. Harmonic says:

Regarding the high HP on that character – The screenshots involve an end-game party with end-game gear. That character is wearing all the best tanking gear, providing her with a huge amount of HP. She starts with around 800 HP at the beginning of the game. I simply removed the 4-digit cap on HP for player characters, it doesn’t mean things are artificially inflated.

Your assumptions that RPG makers are “sneaky bastards” trying to fool you with false battle calculations… that is just loopy! I assure you, great detail was put into each and every formula. In fact, many of the formulas were thought up by our scripter, who is the coldest, most calculating super-computer brain you’ll ever meet.

I am well aware of the idea of smaller stat values, as I’m a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series, in which 80 HP is a huge amount of HP. I like that style actually, for tactical RPGs. This, however, is a CT-based JRPG battle system, where the vast majority of the stats paradigms have pretty high stat levels.