A Zelda-Related PC Game: The Great Gatsby

Curran twittered this yesterday and… well, I had to call the ever-literary delightful girlfriend in from the next room to gawp at the video. Yes, it’s a casual game based around that classic of the Jazz Age and favourite of American English Teachers (OR SO MY TELEVISUAL SHOWS TELL ME). You can get the demo from here and then buy it for a mere seven dollars or so. Barg! Video follows. I especially approve of the section entitled RECREATE FITZGERALD’S CLASSIC PROSE…

1. Nyst says:

At first I was “Ooh, classic adventure-y!”

And then I saw that it was just another ‘find the items in the pile of junk’ game that seems to be so popular with a certain women demograpic.
    I’ll pass this one. I already have way too many casual games on my pc.

• Tei says:

It could be that these womens assign thenselves the “gatherer-role”. As oposed the “hunter-rule” of a FPS.

link to en.wikipedia.org
      A vast amount of ethnographic and archaeological evidence demonstrates that the sexual division of labor in which men hunt and women gather wild fruits and vegetables is an extremely common phenomenon among hunter-gatherers worldwide, but there are a few number of documented exceptions to this general pattern.

• latterman says:

trying to be satirical, tei?

it could be, that a certain history of displaying shooter games as violent, unintellectual nerd-stuff makes them rather unappealing to most so called casual games (as in “people unrelated to most of gaming’s community and what not”).

every genre has been dominated by the male demographic for most of the time , including the “gathering-heavy” genres of RTS and RPGs.
      “women that are into gaming”, start gaming in every genre; those (and same goes for their male equivalents) who aren’t but enjoy casual stuff try uncomplicated games such as these.

i’m sure there are more valiant theories, but social studies has practically ignored this area for most of the time.

• latterman says:

damn, i need my morning coffee, too many typos.

it’s “unappealing to most *of* the so called casual gamers” instead of the awful heap of words i put down.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Tei: Delightful Fiance has just rolled her eyes at you.

KG

• Ragnar says:

@Tei

And I thought it was called pixel-hunting.

• wiper says:

Clearly women should know their place – by the bushes, gathering us man-folks our berries, not Ruining Our Games™. Or something.

• Tei says:

Eppur si muove.

I work on the base that we are meat machines with a programation that is 90% in rom and 10% ram ( or 10/90 ROM/RAM ).

Anyway, I have not live this long ignoring some rolling eyes… *cast shadow of invisibility over his original post*. Now my original post is invisible, please don’t look at it.

• Berzee says:

“Eppur si muove.”

This + invisibility cloak == satisfying morning reading.

• Tei says:

I know my error: making staments about stuff I don’t really know. Mr. letterman post is more to the point, and seems better informed that mine. I sould probably avoid quoting wikipedia text that start like “A vast amount…of evidence”, as invite trouble.

In my defense, I am physiologically unable to be sexist wen I operate in “nerd mode”. Things like womens and mens don’t really exist on that mode.

• TeeJay says:

Some good stuff by Aleks Krotoski:

“Chicks and Joysticks: An exploration of women and gaming”
      link to elspa.com

“Women and Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games: Their roles and their effect”
      link to 174.143.232.215

“Socialising, Subversion and the Self: Why women flock to Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing
      Games”
      link to 174.143.232.215

• DJ Phantoon says:

• Tei says:

“I think the love of FPSes is due to inner man child wanting attention… and getting it. Violent angry inner man child that likes to make sound effects with his mouth. And winning. He likes that too.”

Fictional violence is just a type of spicey for lots of types of artworks (movies and games, mostly). You not liking it, is like some people not liking spicey food. Is more a mater of taste than gastronomy. IMHO.

2. Jubaal says:

This intrigued me, but less so after watching the video. It seems to entail clicking random points on the screen for points. Strange……

• Shadowcat says:

I was never a fan of that novel, but I think I’d re-read it a dozen time over in preference to playing this… thing… (was there any logic behind the acquisition of points in that video?)

• Clovis says:

It looks like there were hidden shapes, like the letter ‘G’ and maybe an bi-plane.

The best part though was when you got to relive the experience of writing the book … by playing The Typing of the Gatsby. Someone should have thought of that before. You can turn any classic novel into a game by simply making the player type it!

Oh well, I was hoping for GTA: Jazz Edition.

• Bret says:

So, you type out the Great Gatsby to shoot Jazz era zombies who represent the Ennui inherent to the era?

Sign me up!

• Tei says:

It can be called Jazz Hero, and come with a plastic keywritter.

3. Freud says:

Does it have multiple endings?

4. aerozol says:

Haha, the gameplay looks truly awful.
    I guess if the story is good, and you really enjoy clicking random sht, it would be awesome…

5. Armyofnone says:

I’ll stick to my worn paperback copy, thank you very much. Now you kids with your digital art, get off my lawn.

6. sredni says:

loved the zelda reference

7. Mesmertron says:

I only just got the Zelda joke. Well done, Gillen, well done indeed.

8. kikito says:

I don’t get it :( . It involves non-videogame knowledge, perhaps?

9. Christian Otholm says:

To quote Kate Beaton: “well, I heard he’s some kind of harsh metaphor.”

10. Alexander Norris says:

Why does the trailer open with the first four notes of the Bond theme?

11. bill says:

god I hated that book at school….

12. Berzee says:

in before Kieron locks the comments?

13. Berzee says:

Also — yes, I will play this. I have not read this great literary classic, nor even seen the Wishbone, so I ought to do it (if only to see if it is as harrible as I’ve been told by various friends and associates).

14. colinmarc says:

Don’t non-american english teachers?

15. Tuor says:

I’d like to take this moment to show my thanks that I never had to read ‘The Great Gatsby’. Thank you, English Teachers, for sparing me.

Unfortunately, I still had to read ‘Death of a Salesman.’ I guess you can’t win them all.

• Oak says:

You poor dear.

• Alexander Norris says:

You think you had it rough? I had to read The Mayor of Casterbridge as well as “Death of a Salesman.” Also, I had to do “Romeo and Juliet” three times (twice in English, once in French) which, while I love Shakespeare, was also pretty unbearable.

Still wasn’t as bad as The Mayor of Casterbridge though. I’m pretty sure Thomas Hardy reigns in Hell.

• Jim Rossignol says:

The Mayor of Casterbridge is the worst book I can remember reading. If anyone has an interested in literature, that will put them off.

• Jason Moyer says:

I just looked up Thomas Hardy because I couldn’t remember the name of the book I read which had to be the worst of all time and…lo-and-behold, it’s the one he wrote right before The Mayor Of Casterbridge. What a strange coincidence (or perhaps not, are all of his books as bad as Return of the Native?)

• somnolentsurfer says:

I had to read excerpts from The Mayor of Casterbridge. Every now and again I think I should try the whole thing, just to find out if it can really be as bad as they suggested…

• Travis says:

Gatsby is great and it’s only like 150 pages.

• Robert says:

I enjoyed the miniseries of “The Mayor of Casterbridge”. Does that count?

• Buzko says:

Fucking Hardy. Had to read Mayor of Casterbridge and Tess at school. My copies were rather more battered when I handed them back from being thrown across the room after too many stupid character-torturing coincidences. I actually bought a copy of Tess and burnt it. With fire.

I never read Jude the Obscure, but it sounds a laugh riot: boy meets girl, they marry and have kids, get kicked out of town because they’re actually cousins, starve on the moor, then the kids kill themselves. “Because we are too many.” Fucking Hardy.

On the other hand, changing schools meant I had to read To Kill A Mockingbird three times. Loved every minute of it.

16. Slithy says:

That’s awesome. Zelda is my favorite RPG series of all time of all time.

17. AndrewC says:

Gatsby couldn’t cross the bay because he hadn’t got the scale-boots from the Zora Princess yet. Great my tits, he was rubbish at games.

18. O. says:

Misleading thread title is misleading.

19. Gotem says:

So it is a game about going around collecting hats?
    what makes it different from TF2 then?

20. Antsy says:

Are they doing a Waldo Pepper flight sim next?

21. Tom Davidson says:

The idea of having the player CONSTRUCT the “oculist” billboard strikes me as oddly hysterical. It’d be like asking the player to trace the lines of the letter “A” to build the Scarlet Letter, or guide the turtle across the road in Grapes of Wrath: The Game.

22. bhlaab says:

*comments on the flippant nature of the jazz age*

*uses the heart rune in a astral conservatory to align the constellations, unlocking the bookcase and allowing teleportation into the selenic age*

23. Earl_of_Josh says:

I must admit, I was curious if “delightful girlfriend” == “delightful fiance”. HOW MANY RELATIONSHIPS DO YOU HAVE KG??

24. Joe Law says:

With the pains of trying to remain spoiler-free for those who haven’t read it, there is plenty of scope in this game for a bit of stealth killing action ( think ‘Hitman’) and an utterly inspired GTA clone.

*sigh*

Oh well, at least it isn’t being made by Ocean.

25. Mulac says:

Yeah, Mayor of Casterbridge isn’t Hardy at his best. Tess of the D’Urbervilles is stunning though, and Jude the Obscure is gloriously nasty.

26. Patrick says:

I thought it was going to be a Legend of Zelda game modeled after the Great Gatsby and got all excited because I’m really slow.