Deus Ex: Human Revolution to arrive Feb ’11?

TONIGHT'S HEADLINE: MASSIVE LIPS SNEAK UP ON DAVINA MCCALL

The nano-augmented journomen over at VG247 have reported that the Steam page for Deus Ex: Human Revolution has been updated to show a February 2011 release date. Intriguing. But what could it mean? My theory is that it means the game will be released in February 2011 and we’ll all be arguing with cyber-bartenders and grabbing men through walls a little earlier than expected. But that’s just a theory. Curse these cryptic viral marketing ploys. What do you think it means, readers?

1. Alexander Norris says:

What was the original release date estimate, anyway? I could’ve sworn February next year isn’t that far in advance of it.

2. YogSo says:

I think it means it will be delayed after Summer 2011 and will probably be released around October-November.
    [/tinhat]

3. Ian says:

These PR types get more cryptic by the day.

4. slamelov says:

They hace said that Pc and console versions are exactly the same. So…

• Tei says:

Console implies QTE, SavePoints, limit to 4 skills, context sensitive buttons, 3PS, no inventory, short game (less than 20 hours), shot from cover mechanics, unskipable videos, less than 90 FOV, no level editor, no SDK, paid DLC’s, mouse acceleration, unprofessional menus, support for keyboad and mouse as a bullet point, very few graphic options in-game that can be edited on a ini file, bad perfomance, tiny levels and nice next gen graphics.
      I hope you wrong.

• Mithrandir0x says:

I don’t find the problem with context sensitive buttons.

And “next-gen” graphics? Oh I think my sarcasm detector is oddly spiking.

• Tei says:

The console implied both good and bad things.

• jeremypeel says:

Pretty much everything we’ve seen so far points to the opposite, Tei.

As does the progression of consoles over the last ten years, but let’s take this one step at a time.

• torchedEARTH says:

PC implies rampant elitism without any room for a frank and open discussion about how console owners may actually have two brain cells to rub together.

Roll off the day when console gamers and pc gamers play together on the same servers.

• Nick says:

@torchedEARTH: That’s already happened a few times (sometimes even intentionally).

5. ChaK_ says:

*shouts wooohooooooooooo waving arms in the air*

6. Monkeybreadman says:

I would’ve thought it was out on the 5th of April at 1pm. February would do though

7. Daniel Rivas says:

Just in time for my birthday. Excellent.

8. ascagnel says:

I remember there was some debate over them showing it at E3 since they figured they were still 9-10 months out, which would put it around Feb ’11.

Also, the more demos I see, the more I both want and don’t want this game.

9. Nallen says:

I don’t why I’m so excited about this, but I’ve really bought the hype. I mean I never played DX back in the day and haven’t even finished the first mission since buying it on steam, so no nostalgia.

I think it’s because it gives me the Bladerunner/be-a-Nexus-6/Syndicate-FPS willies…

10. Luke says:

It appeared on Steam. Steam is owned valve. Valve run on valve time so …

Feb 2011 probably means July 2011

11. Diogo Ribeiro says:

It’s Quinns!

Quinns should be somewhere in the East looking for the Citizen Kane of videogames!

It’s a non-Quinns!

It’s a trap!

12. Freud says:

I’m trying to be fashionably dismissive over this brutal exploitation of a beloved franchise, but I like what I have seen of this game this far.

What is wrong with me?

• Unaco says:

Me too… For some reason, my usual cynicism (for everything, not just games) and dismissive attitude to bringing back old franchises have been tempered for this.

13. el Chi says:

I very much look forward to playing Day of Sex: Human Resources in February.

14. Rath says:

Also – a tie in novel is coming, as is the way with big games nowadays. Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect, by James Swallow.

link to kotaku.com

I’ve read some of Swallow’s novels before, but I can’t honestly say they’ve jumped out at me as spectacular. His contribution to the Terok Nor DS9 mini-series was pretty good, mind you, as was his Titan book.

15. Slamelov says:

I think I’m not wrong
    link to vg247.com

16. Jacques says:

About the same time we’ll be getting bionic arms for realsies then.

17. cjlr says:

That newscaster is wearing an abomination.

18. Jochen Scheisse says:

I am pretty curious what this will be. Til now, it has been a mix of good and bad, obviously copying Bladerunner for aesthetics can’t be bad, on the other hand I find the optics of the news speaker idiotic for example, why should she wear a dress that looks like the cyberpunk version of a renaissance ballroom outfit to announce riots in the streets? Newsmen and women wear a fucking suit because it’s neutral. That’s just surface. But I doubt they will be able to reach the quality of DX1 with this. The cut scenes just look too good. I doubt there will be a lot of freedom, because at some point, the cut scene must inevitably happen.

19. Zerotonine says:

Great news, if it’s true. I just hope that it’s a decent PC version. Here’s a tip devs: allow me to alt-tab, allow me to enable or disable Vsync, allow me to disable mouse accelleration, and, don’t have clunky menus. If you let me choose the colour of my HUD you get bonus points.

20. AlpineViper says:

Within 6 months.

21. Sam says:

Steam actually says March 2011 now.

22. torchedEARTH says:

from that screenshot it looks like you can use a flamethrower on tramps and kill small children again.

so I’m happy.

23. thecowninja says:

torchedEARTH, what screenshot are you talking about exactly? I don’t see any flamethrowers (although I do want them!). <_<