The RPS Bargain Bucket: A Clear Schedule

Back again. Sorry I wasn’t about last week, I was at the delightful Indietracks festival. I have a relatively clear schedule over the next few months, so you shouldn’t have to worry about paying more for games than you need to any more. Keep you eyes and web browsers located on SavyGamer.co.uk for cheap games throughout the week.

Cube Monsters – 63p/€0.77/$0.99
I just played the demo of this, and it’s a little bit silly. It’s a match 3 game, with a couple of tricks up it’s sleeve. The game takes place over multiple vertical planes that you switch between, and getting a row of five rewards you with a big block that will take out all the surround blocks with it. Really, the main thing that sets it apart is that all of the sound effects are silly voices, and most of the text is hard drawn in paint from the looks of things. The low low price combined with the amateurish charm make it pretty easy to forgive the lack of polish. Demo here.

Fractal – £3.18/3.82/$4.99
Also from Cipher Prime, Auditorium is the same price. According to the web site, this offer is on until yesterday, so snap them up quick if you’re interested. Fractal is a hexagonal puzzle game, with flashy graphics, nice sounds, and points everywhere. It’s played via a browser, and you’ll need to be online to play it. I expect that premium webgames like this are something we’ll see a lot more of in the future.

Just Cause 2 – £14.99/€24.99/$24.99
This sale just about brings the Steam price in line with what the Steamworks retail version has been available at for months. Bargain. If you’re in the UK and you can be bothered, the limited edition is the same price to order online. At least all of the DLC is discounted too. It’s a bloody fantastic game though, it drops you into a massive world and says “Where do you want to go and what do you want to do a violence at?”. The scale is just huge, the mountains feel like mountains, the deserts feel like deserts, and the skyscrapers taste like snozberries. All, seemingly, without compromising graphical fidelity or performance. Witchcraft I think. Demo here, and Wot John thinks here. Vista/Windows 7 required.

Kalypso Pack – £33.07/€39.74/$51.86
Another massive pack from GOG, including almost exclusively games I’ve never played. That’s not strictly true, I tried the (Dreamcast) Demo of Incoming, and I played Commandos a few times when I was probably far too young, and all that happened was all my men died and I got upset. What do you lot think of this selection? If you already own any of the games in the pack, you can still get the discount for the remaining ones, and you can buy individual titles at 50% off.
Commandos Ammo Pack
Patrician 1+2
Port Royale
Praetorians
Tropico Reloaded

Deal of the week
The best of indie bundle: Volume 3 – £19.95/€22.95/$29.95
Another great indie bundle from D2D, although it’s a shame that yet again it includes games that you probably already own several times over (I’m looking at you 2D Boy, you lovable slags). Included here are:
World of Goo
Crayon Physics Deluxe

Also of note:
Point and Click week at GamersGate
Space Empires V – £1.59/€1.91/$2.49
Killing Floor – £6.34/€7.63/$9.95
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 – £3.16/€3.79/$4.95

Head to SavyGamer.co.uk for more cheap games (the site is a little broken at the minute, I’m working on it).

1. Guildenstern says:

The Void is point-and-click now?

2. HermitUK says:

“Point and Click wee at GamersGate”
    “Point and Click wee”
    “wee”

3. SquareWheel says:

Also, Minecraft is currently half off until the beta period begins. link to minecraft.net

• Dominic White says:

RPS need to write about Minecraft more. It’s HUGE now. It’s still in Alpha, and has already sold close to 40,000 copies at 10 euros each. Considering that it’s a one-man project, that’s a lot of money.

Also, Valve gave it their most ridiculously ringing endorsement ever a couple of days back, and he ended up selling over a thousand copies in one day.

link to teamfortress.com

Yeah, Valve are addicted to Minecraft and openly admit it. Game is brilliant, no question about it. And the developer – Notch – is a machine. I mean that literally. Every friday, like clockwork (which probably powers at least part of his frame), he releases a secret update with a ton of new features, creatures, enemy types, craftable items, revised world-generation code, and the main feature he’s working on now is persistent-world multiplayer.

Once multiplayer is finished, it’s going into beta phase, where it’ll cost 15 euros. A few months after that, it’ll hit V1.0, and the price will settle at 20 euros.

Honestly, I think I’ve gotten about 40-50 euros worth of fun out of it, at the very least.

• Huggster says:

I tried the free version SP. How much stuff is in the full game?

• laikapants says:

@Huggster: Gawk all that you can craft now in Minecraft -> link to minecraftwiki.net

And here’s a fairly recent video showing off some of those things: link to youtube.com

It is a highly recommended purchase.

• Casimir's Blake says:

I wish someone would take Minecraft and make a dungeon crawler out of it. Add some basic Ultima Underworld-style interactivity (weapons, inventory, levels, magic), and carve a massive collection of dungeons, enemies, and items with it.

But as it stands, I don’t see any point to this game at all. You build stuff and… do what? Others explore, fine, but this isn’t gameplay, it is … an engineer’s playground.

Unless someone can tell me if some modicum of combat, levelling, action, puzzling or something tangibly compelling has been added?

• Dominic White says:

I spent four hours exploring a random generated dungeon last night, fighting the undead, giant spiders and horrifying silent explosive Creepers. I used the resources and treasures I found to equip myself better, and continue further.

I repeat in all caps, because people seem to be missing this:

THE FREE VERSION OF MINECRAFT IS AN EARLY TECH DEMO. IT HAS NO GAMEPLAY. THE VERSION BEING SOLD NOW IS A PROCEDURALLY GENERATED SURVIVAL ADVENTURE WHERE YOU CONSTANTLY BATTLE MONSTERS THAT SPAWN FROM THE SHADOWS. IN A FEW WEEKS, IT WILL HAVE PERSISTENT-WORLD MULTIPLAYER.

Capice?

• MWoody says:

Notch really needs to address this problem. Most people assume (understandably enough) that the free versions of Minecraft are a demo of the main game. In fact, they’re extremely old, crappy tech demos of the early engine, and the current alpha product makes them look like a first graders’ homework.

• Vinraith says:

@Dominic

I’ve been somewhat interested in Minecraft, but I’ve never been able to get a clear sense of whether the final product is intended to be solely a persistent online multiplayer experience or whether the SP component of the game is also a focus.

• Dominic White says:

The way it’s looking now, multiplayer will be exactly the same as singleplayer, but with more people in the world. This is a good thing

Right now, there’s no multiplayer to speak of, so all the high praise you’ve heard of the game from various places is simply based on the solo gameplay.

• Wulf says:

I’d like to add to what DW has written, there.

All the praise thus far is for the amazing single-player experience, which is strong, and being able to trade maps/worlds to show off is a huge incentive to do well in Minecraft. Hell, doing Livestreams in Minecraft is an incredible experience too, mostly because it can be so funny. People get to laugh at your every mistake and jump. It’s great stuff. There’s a lot of worth in playing Minecraft, it’s really you versus the mechanics of the game, and making the best possible fort, and taking advantage of all the tools Notch gives you.

What I’d like to add beyond that is that Notch is releasing the server for Survival multiplayer, what this means is that you’ll be able to have complete control over the game, and total, granular control as to whom is able to access your server. What this means is that if you want to host your own server, and just let in one or two close friends with whom you could work to build a better empire, you can do just that. If you want to download the all-inclusive (single executable) single-player game and go it alone, you can do that as well. Minecraft is really the sort of game that you can take and make what you want of it.

• Vinraith says:

@Wulf and Dominic

Thanks for the answers. In particular:

That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. The next time I feel I have any business spending money on games I will definitely look into this.

• malkav11 says:

Do keep in mind that it’s one of those “pay more as it gets closer to being a complete, polished release-quality game” setups. I personally doubt there’s enough meat there quite yet for my tastes, but I bought a copy a bit ago anyhow because it was cheaper now than it will be, and the pace of updates and additions is such that I can be reasonably confident that it will get there sooner or later. Multiplayer alone will make it a much more intriguing proposition, as crafting monstrous works of engineering is much more entertaining with others to view what you’re getting up to and add their own touches.

• Vinraith says:

@malkav11

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll keep that in mind.

4. Schaulustiger says:

You know you like indie games when you always own at least 80% of the games in those indie bundles.

• Navagon says:

Tell me about it. It might be some time before another massive indie bundle tempts me because of this. Even the Humble Indie Bundle couldn’t tempt me.

5. Carra says:

Yeah, Commandos is a great game.

But when I played it at age 14 or so it was way too difficult for me. I might give it another try with ten extra years of strategy games experience…

6. Jad says:

My favorite Just Cause 2 video:

7. Navagon says:

Commandos 2 is awesome. Commandos 3 not so much. But it’s half price so it’s like you’re getting that one for free anyway. Just don’t expect easiness and be prepared to plan ahead.

I loved Constructor back in the day. No idea at all how well it’s aged, but I’m tempted by that one.

Tropico Reloaded was already superb value. Now it’s unmissable. But the third one does kinda outclass it for including roads. RRRROOOOAAAAADDDSSS! Yeah, well okay you get the idea. But it does make a huge difference to a game where your peeps are expected to haul ass over long distances but get tired and need sleep and food. Transportation is a must in those circumstances.

8. John Peat says:

The Cipherprime Sale (Auditorium/Fractal) is over – although the sale banners are still on the site, the games ring-up full price in their store…

Curse you the ever flowing river that is time!!

9. bill says:

Jeez.. I don’t even like indie games and I own more than half of those. Does it help or hurt the newer/smaller ones to be bundled with the famous ones we all already have?

10. Kelron says:

I liked Fractal, shame the sale’s finished.

• John Peat says:

I’m thinking the same as you – but then we’re talking saving $5 which isn’t exactly earth-shattering – the economy won’t tremble and all that :)

11. Psychopomp says:

Space Empires any good?

• Bruce Rambo says:

SE4 was excellent, but SE5 is a bit disappointing. The move to 3D, realtime battles (though with timed pauses available) and ‘new’ interface didn’t really come together well.

Still a very competent and inoffensive 4x.

• jRides says:

It also runs pretty poorly in Vista/Win7, something to do with not being able to completely disable your trufonts, not enough for the game anyway, as your fleets grow the various fleetlists/colony lists take just ages to open, gets very annoying. In WinXP its pretty good, but then i’m a bit of an SE fanboy.. :)

Bruce is right with the “SE4 is better” mention, thats the one have installed, although mainly as I’m on win7.

• jRides says:

I should also mention that Space Empires is effortlessly modable, and if you do plunge for V, don’t even attempt the unmodded vanilla, you really need the Captain Kwoks Balance Mod, which doesn’t add anything funky or whatever, just fixes the vanilla version.

There is a <a href="link to spaceempires.net of mods out there, so really whatever milieu takes your fancy, theres bound to be either a dedicated mod, or at least the shipsets.

• frightlever says:

SE5 is a pile of shit. I think I’m cutting through the polite chatter in saying that. Regardless of mods and tweaks it is horrible. Aaron Hall had a chance to fix it but he sold the company and then the whole thing seemed to disappear into a gaping black hole. And I’m not referring to an astronomical anomaly.

Se4 is one of the best 4X games ever released but… but not current OS friendly.

12. Crane says:

The link you give to Killing Floor now has it priced at £7.50

13. Drew says:

If you’re getting the Direct2Drive Indie Bundle, then you can use the coupon code “ThanksRaynor” to save an extra $5.

14. Oak says:

Just Cause 2: the only game where you can jump off a building and parachute back up.

15. Tacroy says:

I just wanted to point out that the Just Cause 2 weapon DLCs aren’t that useful unless you’re a cheating cheaty cheater like me. Sure, Rico’s Signature gun is pretty cool, the Multi-Lock Missile Launcher is basically awesome (though I think there’s a mod out there that does the same thing) , and the cluster bomb launcher is without peer when it comes to making shit cease to be – but there is no ammo anywhere for them. Even if you find a pistol or something on the ground, you won’t be able to refill the ammo on Rico’s gun, and even if you find a rocket launcher (they’re rare!) you won’t be able to refill your multi-locks. If you want refills, you have to sit through the goddamn Black Market cutscenes (though there’s a mod that mostly fixes that).

So: if you get those weapon DLCs, make sure you get BoloPATCH and turn infinite ammo on. It makes the game much, much more fun anyway, so you’re really just doing yourself a favor.

• Tacroy says:

Oh yeah and I forgot to say – you absolutely have to get the Black Market Aerial pack, because the dual parachute thrusters are basically the best thing ever. Then get the mod that makes Rico always start out with them, because otherwise you have to call the Black Market every goddamn time you respawn just to get your awesome rockets back.

• malkav11 says:

Are there any mods that make the DLC items cheaper? (preferably not free, just cheaper) I found that the pricing on existing Black Market items was way too high – by a factor of about ten, in fact – and tended to avoid using the Black Market until I installed a mod that knocked 90% off their prices, even though really you get gobs of money. Just a psychological thing. I can only assume that the DLC items are similarly overpriced in game for my tastes, and there’s really no point in my spending real-world money on buying the DLC if I’m not going to use it.

• laikapants says:

@Tacroy: Unless they’ve finally updated, the recent JC2 patch broke the BOLOPatch. Hopefully they get a new version out in the next week or so.

• Tacroy says:

I know, that made me so sad :(

I had to finish the last mission as a mere mortal, not as the Godlike superbeing I’m supposed to be. Fortunately the multilock rockets are hax enough (they lock on anything and almost always hit it).

Anyway, it looks like this mod:

link to justcause2mods.com

Should give you infinite (or close to it) ammo for the better DLC weapons, and I’m sure there’s other ones around too.

That’s the main problem with the game, really – it throws a billion enemies at you, and gives you like three bullets to kill them with. That means you just can’t use any of the awesome weapons to kill them with, because none of them carry refills for the awesome weapons. The SMG gets boring after a while :(

• Heliosicle says:

Just use BOLOpatch and give yourself a ton of money.

• malkav11 says:

Cheating for money, or cheating to give the weapons infinite ammo, is just not the same as revising the black market prices to be a bit more sensible. The cheats break the feel of the gameplay and make it into something it’s not, either by rendering rewards from missions meaningless or by obviating the need to call in the black market at all.

• Tacroy says:

Yeah you’re a far more patient person than I am. If I hear “Howdy pardner!” or “Hope you don’t break it – aww, who am I kidding” (when I just bought a rocket launcher! THEY DON’T BREAK!) one more time I will kill someone. A real someone. That guy’s accent is absurd in the first place, but having to listen to it whenever I’m low on special ammo or want an airplane makes me want to kill real people.

And the worst part is that you have to call him every single time you want to buy something. Need an grenade launcher refill, more timed explosives, more rocket launcher ammo, more frag ‘nades and a fast car? Well, you’re gonna be calling that asshole five times. I seriously wouldn’t mind if enemies carried more interesting weaponry, or if caches of the neat stuff were more common, but it’s just not! The coolest thing you find in the middle of military bases is the occasional machine gun or a (rare!) pack of frag grenades. I just gets boring when all I’m doing is shooting dudes in the face with an SMG, no matter how effective that is.

• malkav11 says:

Oh, I mod out the cutscenes. yeesh. But it’s already mildly unbalanced to be able to call in supply and vehicle drops at a whim (though necessary as the game won’t provide most toys in the wild). It’s far more so if you’re doing it with no restrictions whatsoever.

16. pupsikaso says:

I must have played a very different Minecraft, because the game I played had a pretty big world, yes, but all I could do was erase blocks or create blocks and nothing much other than that.

• Dominic White says:

Did you play the free version? Because that’s a pre-pre-pre-alpha tech demo that just shows off the very basics. You’re not actually a ‘character’ in that mode.

The version you buy is a full-fledged survival, construction and combat game. Harvest resources by day to fortify your position at night, because that’s when the monsters come out.

• Tei says:

Monsters, what monsters? why no one has talked to me about this before?

• Dominic White says:

Some of the scariest monsters ever, too. Like Creepers. Deformed, mutant green quadrupeds, as tall as a man, with a twisted, pained-looking face. They are COMPLETELY SILENT. They hide in the shadows, and carefully sneak up on you. Once one is within range of a player, you get about a second and a half warning – it going ‘Hisssssssss’ like someone lit a fuse.

And then it explodes, blasting an almighty crater into the landscape, and (unless you leap directly away in time), a massive chunk out of your health bar. If you manage to kill one without it detonating (the outer range of a sword is slightly more than its activation range), you get a handfull of gunpowder, though, which can be crafted into TNT. Useful stuff.

Minecraft is simultaneously highly relaxing (when you’re slowly watching your little fort/encampment grow) and terrifying (exploring a dungeon you found under a mountain, or the pants-filling fear that comes from realising that you just mined up into the bottom of the ocean, causing a huge subterranean flood.

There’s a reason why Valve are apparently all addicted to it. It’s *that good*.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Subscription required? Nah, forget it.

Even if it sounds just like what I was after… (I’d prefer a single-player edition with a limited world and AI…. oh just make a dungeon crawler for PC someone, please? It’s overdue!)

• Casimir's Blake says:

I completely retract the subscription comment, I was under the impression Minecraft had a monthly sub. It doesn’t. God knows where I got that from.

But I’m still not yet convinced that the gameplay offers any sense of progression beyond a bit of hack & slash and exploration…

• Wulf says:

No sense of progression? Pff, well, if numerical validation is what gives you a rise, then no, Minecraft has no progression in that sense. However, you start off with nothing and you build a bleeding empire, if you’re clever, you can do amazing things, especially with switches, pressure plates, wires and the likes (leading to some nefarious traps).

I recently created a map that is completely self sufficient. It brings me every resource I need. It brings me monsters (which I can kill easily without them ever seeing me, by design), it brings me animals, I have a fully irrigated farm, and any monsters that try to get near my pit (without falling into one of my traps) end up int he death pit, a pit so deep (around my entire encampment) that they die when they hit the bottom.

Yeah, it took forever, but it’s incredibly impressive right now, because I basically have everything I’d need to stave off an invasion from inside my fort. What with, as I said, an irrigated farm, animals being delivered to me, and I even have a forest in there. And it’s all designed in such a way so that I never get animal or monster spawns where I don’t want them. I’m building up my resources, and currently I’m doing lots of risky mining, which involves fun, fun lava flows, I’m working on building a set of diamond stuffs.

The sense of progression I get though is that I currently have an area built in such a way that I can wander around the entire area on Hard mode without ever having to worry about anything. I don’t even need to wear armour (I never do when I’m in my home location), since I can kill monsters without them seeing me and all, I’m never actually attacked. It’s all nefariously clever.

Also, my area is entirely above ground, I don’t hide underground. :p

When you start out in Minecraft, you’ll have a number of doomed fortress designs, things that just won’t work and could never work. You’ll restart a number of times, you’ll have marginal successes, and every time you get a great idea to work with, you’ll start over and make something even better, then eventually you’ll get the alpha idea, the impenetrable fortress that gives you everything, the way to win at Minecraft. That’s where I am right now.

If you’re never at any risk at any point in Minecraft on Hard, then you’ve pretty much won it. Then it’s just a matter of building up an empire that makes the monsters look meaningless, just to show off.

• Casimir's Blake says:

That’s a healthy and verbose description, Wulf. Thanks for taking the time. Brings back memories of Dungeon Keeper.

But yeah, perhaps not the game I’m after, then. Too much resource management, not enough “first-person exploration of dark corners and uncovering uber-gem IXVXX, or a pissed off spider…”

*is desperate for a dungeon crawler, having spent many enjoyable hours with the Wolf/Doom mobile RPGs…

• Sigma Draconis says:

@Wulf: Well said. You managed to sell me on buying Minecraft.

17. Crugath says:

This is probably old news, but I bought Bad Company 2 from amazon.co.uk for £12.99 yesterday, that’s not from a markerplace seller, but amazon themselves.

I can’t wait to play it when it arrives, I’ve been interested in it since its release and now it’s cheap I thought I’d dive in!

18. terry says:

Tropico Reloaded is really good, except the building footprints are all too huge and the island too tiny.

19. iLag says:

(hey, psst, Lewie! if you’ve got your deals from another site that lists digital distribution deals, you might as well gently tip your hat in their direction, don’t ya think? just sayin’…) … (and yes, I know, everyone can find out those deals on their own, that doesn’t mean you took them from somewhere specific. and hey, information is free for all, so no need to quote anyone. it’s just… politeness, that’s all.) ;P

in other news: New Star Games have a 50% off offer on all of their games with the coupon NEWSTAR50. not sure if the games are worth it, though. >_>

(and sorry for being bitchy. that just caught me on a bad day.)

• Starky says:

I seriously doubt Lewie – the guy who runs savvygamer.co.uk – got his deals from your site , and if he did no doubt he would attribute you with it.

So yeah, trying to accuse him of ripping off your unheard of website is just pathetic – and as you said yourself, bitchy.

No doubt he gets his info from the same sources you do, and I do, and lots of other people do – the RSS feeds of the companies involved – and from tips he no doubt gets from visitors to his site.

• iLag says:

… then let me apologize for overreacting a bit… as I said, bad day for me, sorry, Mr. P. (And I never accused Lewie of “getting his deals from our site” even though I *gasp* exactly wrote that. Urg. Sorry. Gonna hide in a corner now, really.)

It -is- a little strange, though, that the Cube Monsters deal has been going on for almost three months and nobody seemed to notice until now. Coincidence? Might be. Or the owner of savygamer.co.uk found his way to our unheard of website and took note. Whatever, doesn’t really matter, sorry again.
      Let’s all make up and buy Cube Monsters now, okay? It’s nice. And cheap. If PopCap made a game like that, it would be a lot more polished, of course. But it would cost ten times as much as Cube Monsters does.

Hiding in a corner now, I promise.

• frightlever says:

Don’t you keep ip logs?

Wotever. Book-marked the site. For a WordPress blog it’s okay.

• Wulf says:

Completely irrelevant, but…

@frightlever

RPS is just a WordPress blog too. In fact, a surprising amount of sites are. So usually the inclusion of WordPress is a wise choice, rather than anything else.

• John Peat says:

I love that frightlever takes a pop at WordPress sites ON A WORDPRESS site…

There’s not knowing stuff and then there’s making it REALLY OBVIOUS :)

As for the issue of sources of tips etc. – I’m always glad to find more sites which are highlighting deals because the more the merrier!!

• Starky says:

iLag, this is the internet, chances are someone read your website, who told someone, who told someone, who told someone… so on – until Lewie heard about it.

News does this thing called propagating (or going viral), it is a natural process that does not require attribution, even if someone could prove they reported the news first they cannot claim ownership of that story (the facts), and anyone else is free to report on that same story/subject without attribution.

This is how journalism works, just be proud that you may have got the original scoop. I say may have because there is a 99% chance that someone knew about it and posted it some place on the net before you did.

• DeepSleeper says:

It’s cool, iLag. Yours is a better site than Savvygamer anyway.

• -Spooky- says:

*mhm* See no problem with WordPress on this future days. I missed the point?

20. sinister agent says:

Regarding the gog stuff:

Constructor is excellent, but fearsomely hard. Its interface is very poor (though once you get used to it, it’s not a real problem), and it’s not very user-friendly as the nearest thing it has to a tech tree is basically which tenants you can have in which houses, and which units they will produce as offspring (or you can use them to make money instead… already it’s confusing, see?). But it is a very entertaining and clever game, and hard to really compare to anything – it’s more like the old 90s strategy games than any modern RTS. The major downside is that it is so tough and so relentless that it’s utterly exhausting to play.

Tropico… well, I haven’t even played the second one, but I’d buy the pair for the first alone. It is tremendous fun. Highly recommended.

Imperial Glory is a sort of napoleonic Total War, with much better diplomacy and more focus on strategic concerns. However, I was unable to really get into it, as I found the battles disappointingly limited (eg: once a unit is fighting, it will fight until one side is destroyed. Skirmishing or retreating is not possible outside of artillery strikes).

The rest I have either never played, or not played enough to say with confidence. I’d be surprised if someone managed to buy the whole set and not get their money’s worth, though, let alone picking and choosing.

21. DannyBoy says:

Well, I already knew about most of these games (not the deals).
    The one big surprise (for me) is “Cube Monsters”. Never heard of it (and I visit all the game sites daily). Already downloaded it and bought it. My 7 year old daughter loves it too.
    Nice catch!

22. riadsala says:

Commandos 1 is great… more of a puzzle game than anything else. Very satisfying when you complete it :)

23. Jad says:

I would not be quite as harsh on SE5 as that, but yeah, 4 is better. If you ever see SE4 on sale, check it out, its a very very complex, deep 4X game.

24. Hippo says:

Dominic: I don’t know if I should be angry or thankful that you introduced me to Minecraft. I’ve just spent far too many hours on it, and if I don’t get to bed soon I’ll be a complete wreck tomorrow.

25. Matzerath says:

Oh, Minecraft. I knew the first time i saw you that my resolve would eventually crumble, and I would shell out dough for you. That time is now!

26. Sigma Draconis says:

World of Goo is a wonderful physics-based puzzler with a lot of character. Really cute.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity is very addictive. Who knew a game about skydiving dangerously close to buildings could be so fun? Definitely give the demo a shot.

• Sigma Draconis says:

“Skydiving” should be Base-jumping instead. Derp.

27. HYPERPOWERi says:

What Dominic said.

Minecraft is somewhat like a first-person Dorf Fortress with a gorgeous front end (not that ASCII isn’t beautiful). A lot like playing Dungeon Keeper with the possession spell.

Did you see the mining cart video?

link to bit.ly

You build all that yourself!

28. Sly Boots says:

I just bought Just Cause 2 for £10 from Zavvi.

No-brainer at that price, tbh.

29. amv71 says:

Rats. Missed it by a few hours.

30. MadMatty says:

The Void, World of Goo, Gish, Red Orchestra and Killing floor are all pretty tasty…

Wahts this Minecraft? – the name sounds horrid

• MadMatty says:

@ Minecraft- yeh i get it- try Love (the game) and/or Wurm Online- theres some building going on there aswell, along with some gameplay

31. phlebas says:

Not so relevant now the offer’s dead, but Fractal doesn’t require you to be online. Auditorium does, though.

32. DrGonzo says:

I think Lewie needs to check out GAME.co.uk and go to the downloads section. They often just send you a serial number to download the game on Steam or whatever. But I have been shocked by how cheap and reasonable it is.

• John Peat says:

GAME’s downloads (and Gamestation and Atari and a load of other download sites) are powered by Metaboli who aren’t noted for being all that cheap (they bring new meaning to ‘retail price’ on most of their sites).