RPS Is Actually Maintained Shocker

Asplode

Rock, Paper, Shotgun will be down from 9am to 11am (approx, UK time) on the 13th August. This is so we can transfer to our spanky new server, which hopefully won’t crash every hour. It’s a dream.

RPS has grown extremely quickly, and we’ve far outgrown the server we’ve been on. The utterly extraordinary folks at Positive Internet have done miraculous things to keep us online for the last year or so, and will continue to do miraculous things as we do our best to outgrow the new server. If you have any hosting needs at all, we without hesitation (and let me stress, without their ever asking us to plug them, and even though Nick’s so horrid to me on our podcast) recommend you use Positive Internet. They’re not only extremely competent hosts, but deeply ethical, and have gone beyond the boundaries of expectation in their support. We can’t say enough good things about them. They are, as they say, good.

1. nabeel says:

Hurray for Positive Internet Company!

2. Batolemaeus says:

Good to see you have Top Men working on it.

3. patrick says:

Did the positive internet company also host Stephen Fry’s podcasts?

Nathan says:

The Positive Internet company could positively do with a newer, better website of their own..

5. trjp says:

I used Positive a few years ago for a project – they were aces and all that too.

BUT – after about 18 months the client decided to move the whole project in-house which led to me cancelling their hosting and the emails I got were a bit snippy and unprofessional I thought – lots of veiled sarcasm about how I’d never get a better deal and how they wished me luck in a world full of badly supported services etc. etc.

Didn’t really make me want to rush back there at the time – burning bridges and all that…

• frymaster says:

“never get a better deal”

now that’s a load of cobblers. Positive have an amazing rep for support, but you do have to pay for it. This may make sense for people doing popular websites, but makes none when you have 4 blokes wanting to rent a dedicated server so they can stick up TF2 servers and mumble servers and maybe run some small websites as well – because, being a dedicated server, we’d be doing all the techy stuff ourselves. So it didn’t seem worthwhile paying for it.

All that being said, their webhosting is excellent, especially their attitude to copyright takedowns (which is neither “burn their customer’s server to the ground” or “stick their fingers in their ears until the police come to take the server away”)

6. Forceflow says:

@Positive Internet:

1998 called. They want their website design back.

But hurray for RPS support!

7. zakkmiester says:

First: you have a podcast? HOW DID I NOT KNOW FOR SO LONG?
    Second: Well, I suppose I’m gonna have to cry myself to sleep then.

8. JuJuCam says:

Is it really a great idea to do a server upgrade on Friday the 13th?

• Shinan says:

I was going to ask this exact thing.

• Tei says:

It guarantee that if something is wrong, it will be wrong for 3 days. If you upgrade a monday, it will be down for a few hours. The best way to do a upgrade is probably a tuestday.

Thats why.

9. sidereal says:

Wait, what? RPS is maintained by the shocker?

• balooba says:

Yeah, apparently stateside people use ‘shocker’ to mean something very different. “Last night I had a shocker” for example, might draw some pretty strange looks.

• Sir Derpicus says:

It’d only draw strange looks if you didn’t enjoy it.

10. Pepelusky says:

Every server transfer till now has scerwed uo my feeds, please be careful with them ):

11. DigitalSignalX says:

Hooray for rapid uncontrolled growth! Sort of like cancer, mold, weeds only more friendly and PC oriented!

12. rei says:

PeerBlock blocks them, which in my book equals evilness.

13. Tei says:

Good hosters are a thing to hug. I have had my share of good and bad hosters, so I have learned the bad way how important is a good hoster.

14. Malagate says:

Oh God, two hours of RPS down on my quietest day of the week at work, whatamIgoingtodo?! Work?

• Thermal Ions says:

Nooo, don’t do it. All sorts of strange precedent setting things might result, like the boss wanting value for money. Not work the risk in my book.

• Thermal Ions says:

Let me rephrase: Not worth the risk in my book.

15. air-space says:

LOL – ‘positive internet’ and PC gamers thats a contradiction.

RPS, Shack News, ArsTech any site that is dominated by PC gamers seems to have descended into increasingly negativity via its comments. EvenVG247 gets whining anytime something PC comes up though I think they provoke just for the fun of it.

• Tei says:

Why is that? is only PC gamers or is something like a general disease? can we fix it?

• Duoae says:

I haven’t really noticed that at all. At least not any more than the usual console-orientated sites.

What i have noticed over the last few years is publishers and developers increasingly treating their PC customers as opponents…. which could contribute to the effect you think you’re seeing.

• AndrewC says:

Only if we can fix human nature, Tei. Do we know how moddable it is?

• Baboonanza says:

It’s highly moddable! All you need is a blunt instrument, say a hammer, and you can start modding away.

• Tei says:

I have think about the problem with human nature, and how to fix it. I have some ideas. The problem is that will generate humans 2.0, and these people will have problems too.

The 2 main things to fix are:
      – Dying. Dying suck. I would remove this from our ADN, or fix it.
      – How our pulmonary system work. Our system need to expel air, the birds one is much better. Getting a pulmonar system where the air only moves one direction will able use to make very long phrases, think in very long phrases, will make us stronger and run longer, maybe even fly with some fake wings. Our current pulmonar system is what stop us from fly or do some of the nifty things birds can do.
      – Memory vs Rational thinking. Most people learn things by memory, the people that learn by other methods teach things by memory. Learning by memory makes people stupid, as is a irrational way to learn things. I would modify this in the ADN to make people be more prone to learn things by understanding how things works. I would also make memory better.
      – Float. I would make the human body float in water better. Not reason for more people dyiing in the sea, really.
      – Fat people. I would make a system for the fat people to lose his weigh fast.

I have some ideas about hos to fix sex, but I need to run more experiments about the subject.

• AndrewC says:

I’m pretty sure you meant to write ‘hose’ there Tei and I promise, yours is fine.

• Freud says:

I think there is as much moaning about negativity as there is actual negativity these days. And those complaining about others being negative very rarely discuss anything else on the site. They are just patrolling the net informing us what bastards we are, it seems.

Happy hunting.

• egg says:

@AndrewC

Perhaps we could try… augmenting it? Or splicing it up?

16. Skinlo says:

1st??

• Mashakosha says:

Congratulations, you have earned the ire of many internet nerds. I hope you’re happy.

• Skinlo says:

Thank you! Its my first ever first as well, which makes it even more special! :D

17. Huggster says:

third!

18. Johnathon says:

We do have a new website in the works, but as with all these things, we much prefer to concentrate on keeping websites working well, than upgrading them :)

19. n1md4 says:

There’s no such thing as a Friday at Positive Internet ;D

20. Chris D says:

Welcome back RPS. I missed you. Don’t ever leave me again.

21. Nick Mailer says:

trjp, I am sorry you read “veiled sarcasm” where there wasn’t any. We do not veil our sarcasm :-) Any mails you get will have been sent precisely because we have seen people try to get “bargain basement” deals and then return months later, being badly burned. We’ve seen this so many times that we often keep backups and drives safe for this eventuality.

We are proud of the service we offer, and if that pride sometimes reveals itself as arrogance – I’d prefer this to a listless lack of care, frankly. If a mild sarcy au revoir is the price for “aces” service whilst you’re with us, I’m prepared to accept that compromise ;-)

• trjp says:

It’s one thing to know that a customer ‘may be back’ – it’s another to undermine that likelihood by being sarcastic or worse.

I’ve taken a considerable amount of business to other hosting companies since this happened (it was a goodly few years back now) which I’d probably have bought to you if I’d not felt that you were – tbh – childish.

When you charge a premium price and (and I do agree with this) offer a premium service, it’s a bit silly to throw your dummy when someone moves on??

22. Navagon says:

I’m glad you guys have finally acknowledged that the Barry the Server Hamster is dead. I hope your new 486 16 bit Uberserver serves you well.

• Thermal Ions says:

Barry’s dead? Don’t tell me his little heart gave out – see what happens when you don’t have regular maintenance and give the fella a break.

link to youtube.com

R.I.P. Barry.

23. Nick Mailer says:

trjp: I am sad to hear you interpreted it as a dummy-throwing. We work hard to keep on good terms with clients, whether coming or going. We might make a friendly goodbye cheeky remark, but we work very hard to ensure that people’s migrations are smooth and we do not put obstructions in anyone’s way.

I’d like to invite you up to our datacentre. Perhaps we can arrange the visit so that John’s there too so you can say hello to him and the RPS server and chat. I don’t want you thinking badly about us :-)

24. Decimae says:

I only noticed your server being down once, and that was for maintance. Another site I frequent(epicmafia.com) has terrible bandwith and capacity problems. Good job at keeping your site usable.

25. Araxiel says:

I always thought that it’s crashing so often because the water is leaking on the server everytime it rains in the UK…which is kinda all the time.

Hey, it WAS a reasonable explanation.
    Also, at the moment I again get no response of your guys. Seems like rain is coming.

26. Johnathon says:

No, Barry-the-server-powering hamster isn’t dead, but he is getting on in hamster years, and he’s decided to retire. Not to fear, Barry’s daughters are quite happy to help. ;)