Conveniently, There’s A Crysis 2 Walkthrough

Robots hate cars like humans hate... monkeys? Do we hate monkeys? Probably. We're horrible.
EA’s press conference might not have coughed up much of interest with regards to Crysis 2, but the unblinking eye of GameTrailers has managed to grab a developer walkthrough from the developers. It features a fight with a great big alien robot, stuff exploding, and some clear game footage. Much better.

1. robrob says:

Isn’t this just the video we saw previously but with two people spouting marketing rhetoric over the top?

• subedii says:

Yes. This appears to be take from the footage they showed previously (at E3?), except they’re just explaining stuff a bit here.

Still looks pretty awesome though.

2. Sobric says:

Graphically that was very very impressive, but I have to say that I fail to see what was ‘sandbox’ about that particular level, or the bit immediately afterwards.

3. BobbleHat says:

I liked it best when the stuff blew up, and when the man shot the gun.

• A-Scale says:

I liked the part where the elitist had a pavlovian response to the video and posted a predictable, snarky comment about it.

• Justin Keverne says:

I liked the bit where the hipster saw the snarky comment and decided to respond in a predictable and trite fashion, and the bit after where the smartass responded to him and troll responded to the smartass and…

• Jimbo says:

I like turtles.

• Jamesworkshop says:

Do you like Owls? I know a cracking Owl sanctuary

• BAReFOOt says:

“Du da mit dem Hemd! Dich mach ich fertig!” :D

4. AndrewC says:

Have I stoppped liking shooters? Oh gravy, what’ll I do now!

I did like the chutzpa of the building collapsing sequence, but I thought the serious-faced tragedy of the civilians stuck under rubble was unearned, and I thought the fighting looked like the slightly annoying trial and error boss fight where you just die repeatedly until you work out which weapons work on the monster.

I don’t like those sorts of boss fights, but then again i am rubbish at them.

• skalpadda says:

Unless they’ve changed something from the first game, it’s simply a matter of the bigger the enemy the bigger the gun you’ll need to be effective. The boss battles in Crysis weren’t very good in any case, but I enjoyed the “predator” style of play where you could sneak around and take out enemies without them seeing you until it was too late. Hopefully they’ll be able to recreate that in a city setting as well.

• DrGonzo says:

Oh no! Predator 2!

5. Qjuad says:

Very pretty, but the combat didn’t really feel like it had any weight to it. The bit where the enemy was melee attacking the player character appeared to have no impact. Plus, the rocket launchers seem as unimpressive as the ones in Crysis in terms of oomph factor ™.

But still pretty!

• DrGonzo says:

Really? That’s my favourite rocket launcher in a game. :( Fire 3 or 4 straight into the air, look at the tank and it rains down death on him. Found them to be very oomphy.

6. airtekh says:

The first game was just so awesomely OTT with the huge vistas, massive spaceships and explosive set pieces. Very solid stealth and firefights too.

If they can keep up the ‘blockbuster’ feel of Crysis 2, then I will definitely be interested in it.

7. Anonymous says:

It’s a shame they decided to steer Crysis in the whole “alien invasion” direction.

The game was absolutely brilliant in the beginning when you were running around murdering Koreans, but when all of a sudden aliens appeared out of no where it became a “meh”.

• Ragnar says:

This. Times two.

• Walsh says:

I’m ok with aliens as long as I can stealthily murder them by throwing them off high ledges. This looks like it may have it. Better than the goofy flying tentacle robots from the first Crysis.

• anon says:

The zero gravity space ship sections was the best part of the game!

8. TeeJay says:

The graphics don’t look as good as Crysis. Some people think “CryEngine 3” is only equivalent to CryEngine 2 on medium settings – for example this YouTube comparison: link to youtube.com

However as this trailer seems to be on an XBox360 I am interested in waiting to see what the PC version of Crysis 2 looks (and plays) like. It’s not just graphics (after my GTX260 *still* can’t really manage ultra high Crysis settings) – but also the difficulty and feeling of scripted and unscripted combat – surely it has to be tweaked differently for joypad versus kb&m players? I also really don’t want stuff like “press X to kick this door down” popping up when they could just give us melee and let us decide what we want to kick (or “press Y to look” – what does that even mean?). Hopefuly they’ll have the option to turn anything like that off.

• DrGonzo says:

I seem to remember them showing pictures that show it looking sexier than the first game. Also, Youtube isn’t the best place to judge graphics.

9. Xercies says:

Showing a big room does not make a sandbox. It seems they have gone a linear route which is a shame because the best bits in crysis were where you could do an objective anyway you want. This just looks like another linear shooter. Which we have to many now a days.

10. Skinlo says:

Hmm, not sure about this, looks quite good, but I want to see some epic vistas that you can go to before buying it.

11. Navagon says:

Looks like they’re trying to make it more of a film than a game. Or maybe I’m thinking that because of all the films about disasters hitting New York. Either way, it’s not exactly on my must buy list right now. As usual I’ll just grab it when it’s cheap.

12. Spliter says:

I’m not really convinced. Pretty graphics and cinematics have been Crysis strong points but gameplay wasn’t from the time it started fighting aliens, now the entrie game is concentrated on them!
    The stealth and fighting don’t feel solid at all. You can’t feel the impact your weapons have on your enemies and vice-versa and yet it kills them. That robot took an rpg and two c4’s with no visual effect whatsoever, no flinching, no falling to the side, no nothing. If that’s the same aproach they take with the rest of the game there’s really nothing to look forward to, apart from a few pretty scenes.

• Nallen says:

I read this comment yesterday and it’s bothered me ever since. Bothered me because now I can’t look at this without sadfacing. Hit with rocket, nothing. Hit with C4, nothing. Hit with rocket, falls over, burst in to flames and then disappears. Riiiight.

Anyway it’s not finished yet so lets give them a chance… :(

• anon says:

They’re playing on a console. It has to disappear. Those things don’t have enough ram to have End-Level-Boss-Robot amounts of polygons just lying on the ground for 45 seconds!

13. Daave says:

Looks like a combination of F.E.A.R. 2 and Gears of War, I’m not impressed by anything except the graphics.

14. Bungle says:

Cevat looks like he had a really rough weekend.

15. Muzman says:

Possibly I’m just not used to the modern shooter, or getting old, but as games get more detailed with ordinance and debris and damage and so forth, being able to run through it all without getting torn to shreds (even with a super suit) just gets harder and harder to buy into for me.

Still want my Cloverfield game in this engine (possibly just using this game, even)

• Taillefer says:

I’m hoping they surprise us with something huge and stompy later on. It’s a shame there’s an insistence on highly detailed models and such or I imagine it would be easier to just throw a giant or two in.

A War of Worlds mod would be pretty welcome too. Or massive, retro, sci-fi robots.

• Bungle says:

I specifically got the same idea from this gameplay video. All this guy did was take damage the entire time.

16. Justin Keverne says:

If Crysis 2 doesn’t feature Central Park as an open Far Cry\Crysis style sandbox area then it’s a huge missed opportunity.