The RPS Bargain Bucket: Germans

Uh oh. Remember the other week? I promised I had a clear schedule for near future? Well, whilst out searching the land far and wide for the best gaming discounts, I encountered a travelling salesman. He offered me some tickets to Shamabala festival in return for a copy Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament on the Mega Drive. I agreed, and as such shan’t be bargain bucketting next weekend. Still, SavyGamer will still be getting updated up until Thursday, and it’ll back to business as usual the weekend after.

GOG German games promo
To coincide with Gamescom, GOG have yet again decided to make me look the fool by discounting all the games that I know nothing about. This time it’s German ones. I did play Painkiller a long time ago, and I remember enjoying shooting the baddies. The rest? I haven’t a clue about. Here’s the games that are discounted:
Gothic 2 Gold Edition – £3.83/€4.71/$5.99
Painkiller Black Edition – £3.83/€4.71/$5.99
Realms of Arkania 1+2 – £2.87/€3.53/$4.49
Realms of Arkania 3 – £2.87/€3.53/$4.49
Spellforce Platinum – £3.83/€4.71/$5.99
The Guild: Gold Edition – £3.83/€4.71/$5.99
This isn’t a bundle offer, all the games are individually discounted. You get your money off during checkout.

Death to Spies – £3.74/€3.74/$4.99
If it doesn’t show you the discount straight away, it should do when it’s in your basket. I’ve not played this game, but it seems to have a bit of a cult following. Any fans out there? There’s a demo here if you want to give it a go.

Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood – £2.49/€2.49/$2.49
Alec prempted me wanting to write about this when it was discounted, by saying this back at release:

A little bit Battlefield Heroes, a little bit Shadowground, and some canny approach to map design – I’d definitely like to see where they go with this. First things first, though, they should get a ruddy demo out. £6 ain’t much, but it’s not quite impulse-buy cheap.

But perhaps two hundred and forty nine of your micro-currencies is impulse-buy cheap. For further reading, consult this handy Making of feature. As of the other day, you get the Mac version on Steam too.

Total Annihilation – £2.37/€3.39/$3.39
Gosh, this one is too old for me too. In another ten or fifteen years, when I’m a grown up, I’ll know all the old games. Total Annihilation I know on reputation alone, and that it was a forerunner to Supreme Commander. This seems a very reasonable price for it.

Begrudgingly Deal of the week
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat – £6.24/€7.50/$9.99
Lets get the bad out of the way first. This offer is for both Chernobyl and Pripyat, although totally absent is Clear Sky. Even worse, if you already own one of the two games on offer, you can’t just get the other at a discount, or gift the spare copy you’ve paid for. That’s poor form THQ, and taints what would otherwise be a completely fantastic offer. Still, if you’ve yet to pick up either of these games, the general consensus is that these are the best two. Not tried Pripyat myself, but Chernobyl is certainly rather good. So good, it would seem, that Jim just can not shut up about it.

Ever.

Also, bad news. The offer’s not available in Germany.

Also of note:
Portal for free with £20 Steam spend using paysafecard
DogFighter – 50% off

Make sure to regularly check SavyGamer, so you never miss out on all the best video game deals.

1. Alexander Norris says:

Death to Spies is basically Eastern European Hitman, and it is very good if you like the Hitman series a lot (though a little rough).

Also, you would be an idiot to not get the STALKER pack, unless you somehow own both games (even if you already own SoC, the bundle is cheaper than CoP on its own). They are both excellent. Play SoC first with Complete 2009 and its Realistic Weapons submod (if you don’t get the latter the guns are very poorly balanced – early guns are useless and late guns are overpowered, instead of all guns having their drawbacks and advantages), then play CoP with no gameplay mods at all – as CoP is the only STALKER game to date to be pretty much perfect out of the box.

This is where Complete and RW can be found: link to moddb.com

• Sarlix says:

I would disagree with one point: “then play CoP with no gameplay mods at all”

If I remember correctly CoP doesn’t use Anoscopic Filtering, or the option is/was just broken. As a result the ground textures look across between soup and mash potato.

Installing this Terrain pack link to stalker.filefront.com makes quite a noticeable difference with little to no performance impact. The mod is for Clear Sky but it works just the same in CoP. You just copy the files to the appropriate directories. In-fact most Clear Sky texture mods work fine with CoP.

• Alexander Norris says:

A terrain pack is not a gameplay mod.

• Sarlix says:

Yes yes, you’re quite right. I shall go and stand in the corner of silliness.

• dragon_hunter21 says:

Thanks for the links to the mods. I’ve found SoC to be pretty much impenetrable so far. Beaten COP before, though, so if there’s any good gameplay mods for it, that’d be awesome.

• Pesforozo says:

That’s much appreciated, Sarlix. I was wondering if there were any ‘essential’ add-ons to CoP having snapped it up yesterday.

As for the original, there are some who swear by Oblivion Lost rather than the fancy graphicy Complete, and LURK is another well known ‘does everything’ mod.

Finally, that paysafecard is pretty much perfect for people frustrated by a lack of card/ bank account. It’ll be extremely handy for kids wanting to buy digi-downloads, and could signal an even greater decline of brick and mortar PC games sales. Excellent idea.

• Sarlix says:

@Pesforozo

Your welcome. The only other essential mod/tweak that I could suggest is one for the UI/HUD. I found it to be pretty large and invasive.

However you may not find it to be an issue so I would suggest trying out the vanilla first. If you don’t like it though and find it gets in the way you can use this: link to stalker.filefront.com which will shrink it down to a more manageable size. :-)

@dragon_hunter21

I’ve not personally tried it, but apparently the ‘S.M.R.T.E.R. Pripyat Mod’ is the mod to look out for. I don’t think it’s 100% done yet but it’s quite vast already. You can find the download links, plus all the info on this page link to gsc-game.com Look out for link to the discussion thread on the same page. It runs for some 311 pages and is full of good info!

• Jake says:

There’s a Stalker Complete 2012 coming quite soon it might be worth holding out for, but it is hard to guess when it will be ready.

• Alexander Norris says:

A word to the wise – SMRTER pulls the same sort of stunt Oblivion Lost did for SoC – it makes the game completely crazy and not exactly in line with how it was designed. Things will probably break. I would definitely abstain from installing it until you’ve finished vanilla CoP once.

2. radomaj says:

Gamer’s Gate have another week of their Summer Sale, this time it’s strategy games. link to gamersgate.com
    Finally, a discount on Men of War! I’ve been waiting for that since the RPS review.

• Phinor says:

That’s pretty funny because Men of War has been on sale every other weekend almost since it’s release :) Half of those times in Gamersgate too. Seen it as a part of quite a few Steam sales too.

A great game though.

3. blunders says:

Does GamersGate’s version of Total Annihilation include the same expansions that the Impulse and GOG versions do? It may be time to cash in those Blue Coins, if so.

• blunders says:

After a bit of Googling, it looks as though it doesn’t. It also comes with SecuROM for some bizarre reason.

Seems like getting the full package on GOG would be a better deal.

4. sbs says:

paysafecard is a cool concept as it seems, clever promo, i wouldn’t have noticed that one otherwise. i will have to get one of those today and try =)

5. Whelp says:

I can’t find the STALKER bundle mentioned here… Call of Pripyat appears to be only available at the usual 19.99 Euros.

• Whelp says:

Clicking on this link only directs me to the Steam mainpage. What the fuck?

Is it because I live in Germany? I thought those Steam sales were effective worldwide…

• Whelp says:

In fact, Shadow of Chernobyl doesn’t seem to appear on the Steam store anywhere for me…

Is it banned in Germany?

If so, then FUCK Germany! I wanted that bundle, goddammit :P

• Heliocentric says:

You Germans and your crazy oppressive government, how you make me laugh.

• qrter says:

It only appeared as costing 7.50 to me when I had chosen my payment option and moved on in the payment procedure.

Although it could still be a German thing, for you.

(I bought CoP eventhough I already own SoC – I don’t mind not getting a giftable copy of SoC at all, I’m still buying CoP at a pretty huge reduction.)

• stahlwerk says:

@Heliocentric. There’s nothing hindering Valve to enforce age checks for german customers, so they could sell the international versions to 18+ without problems. It would even give them instant monopoly in that market. But german law is a messy business and politics even more so, so I can’t really fault them. Doing this would make them perfect scapegoat-sized election fodder for almost any german politician.

• Alexander Norris says:

It’s very probably a German thing. If one of the games isn’t on the Steam store in Germany then the bundle won’t exist for you.

If you can get someone outside Germany to gift you the bundle, you’ll be able to play it with no problems – you just can’t buy it. There’s a thread in the forums dedicated to that sort of thing (the data-smuggling ring), but since for once they’re actually charging $10 everywhere instead of overcharging euro customers (and it’s actually cheaper in Australia – these must be the end times or something), you can pretty much get anyone to gift it to you as long as they don’t live in Germany.

And no, the deals are never entirely worldwide.

• lolfang says:

Go into RPS Forums and ask someone to gift it to you =).

6. Jonathan says:

Relaunched Get Games Go (a Eurogamer-branded download store) has a few offers on through Monday, most notably all Sega and 1C titles are on sale. Highlights include King’s Bounty for £2.49 (and Armored Princess for £4.99), Men of War for £2.49, Cryostasis for £2.49, AvP for £12.49, and Napoleon:TW for £12.49. There are probably more good deals I’ve not noticed.

• Alexander Norris says:

N:TW’s price in the UK: £12.50.

N:TW’s price in the eurozone: £18.

I think I’ll pass on ever buying anything from them, thanks.

• Luckz says:

Well, you pretty much have to cease all digital download buying then. Besides GOG I guess.
      Impulse, GamersGate, Steam etc all have wildly fucked up region-specific prices.

7. Moonracer says:

Total Annihilation is probably my fave RTS game of all time ( though admittedly I have not played a lot) . I was very disappointed with Supreme Commander in comparison. I’m looking forward to playing through Stalker CoP and giving the first another run with this much talked of mod.

8. Red Scharlach says:

Total Annihilation is the best game Ron Gilbert has ever been involved with aside from the first Monkey Island. Everyone should get on that even if they’re not an RTS fan. 3 quid is a steal.

Man, Cavedog Entertainment. Remember Amen: The Awakening? link to en.wikipedia.org

9. Name says:

You can’t even buy Doom 2 for Steam in Germany.

10. Fergas says:

It doesnt make any sense why valve wouldnt sell them you can buy them in germany they not banned or anything just checked you can buy all of them from amazon.de as well as other places etc.

• iLag says:

You can indeed buy them from amazon.de. However, you have to prove you’re over 18 years old, which is done by DHL and you have to pay some extra money for that. So it’s not that easy after all. Steam has no reliable age verification system whatsoever. Curious that the other digital retailers have no problem selling hose games, though.

Strangely appropriate title of the bargain bucket, even though it was meant differently. (On a related note: I’m pretty sure Painkiller was developed in Poland, not in Germany. Might be the publisher is German. But really strange that the good Polish people of gog.com didn’t notice their error. Just for the record.)

11. espy says:

Woo, Total Annihilation was insane. Loved it to bits. The scope! I mean, it was 1997-98, the maps were up to 24×24 screens big, and you were sending hundreds of 3D units around at once. Completely amazing.

Easily the best RTS I’ve ever played, even now.

• lePooch says:

Wow, according to Wikipedia, people still play Total Annihilation. I remember playing this as a kid and wondering at how they managed to keep up with the hundreds of units I could field. If anyone here has NOT played TA, the current price is a ridiculous steal.

Okay Im off, I think I still have my CD’s around here…

• Tetragrammaton says:

You guys should give spring a go – originally started as a TA 3D conversion.
      link to springrts.com

• Freud says:

Apart from being in full 3D, you could pause the game and queue up orders. Making it more about strategy and less about micromanagement. I still have the original and the sequel Kingdoms somewhere.

• espy says:

I’ve played Spring for years, also hightly recommended.

• dadioflex says:

“Wow, according to Wikipedia, people still play Total Annihilation.”

Hmm… TA shits all over Starcraft.

What always shocked me was that people still played Starcraft. Don’t get me wrong, SC is a good game but from what I’ve heard TA shits all over it.

Why does TA, the game that everyone is saying shits all over Starcraft, have so much affection in the leaden hearts of gamers?

Because.

• DrGonzo says:

TA does indeed poo all over Starcraft. But I must say that Starcraft 2 was a lot more fun than Supreme Commander 2, and they were very similar.

I really want to play TA Spring but I’ve never managed to get the bally thing to work. I just wanted to play through the singleplayer again and do some skirmishes.

12. mcnostril says:

Hmmm.
    I’m seriously wondering if I should just start on CoP vanilla now, or wait a week for Redux 1.0 to come out.

On one hand, I hear CoP is great without mods.
    On the other hand, I enjoyed SoC a lot more with Oblivion Lost, and it’s a shame that some of the magic was lost because I already knew where and what everything was.

I did give the Atmosfear mod a quick try though. I didn’t really like the look of the blowout on the screenshots, but when it’s actually happening it’s all kinds of epic (and pwetty, leading to horrible but aesthetic death).

13. sinister agent says:

I don’t suppose anyone would be able to make some recommendations from the gamersgate sale for me? I’ve looked at most of the games on there, and about a dozen are possibles, but I really can’t decide. I’m not interested in anything with goblins in, but otherwise most anything on the list looks worth a go. Quite tempted by the Tomorrow War, but haven’t been able to find any reliable critiques of it.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Huh, I was meaning to have a look at that too.

• Urael says:

STAY AWAY from The Tomorrow War! Deeply unsatisfying on just about every level.

• Heliocentric says:

Faces is probably one of the weaker of the games in its series but if you’ve hammered all of the missions in men of war faces is quite good. If you haven’t played men of war get and play that first.

But 2 other games in that sale sit at totally opposite ends of the strategy genre but are true loves of mine. Company of heroes (just get “gold”) is a boombastic game with very little filler in how you play multiplayer, choices, choices choices and not enough time to make them. Its a formula which has kept me coming back for years.

The other title is swords of the stars, this is not its best discount and the game is certainly not for everyone. But its a bloody masterclass in what 90% of rts and 4x games are lacking.

• Jimbo says:

From the GamersGate sale I’d recommend: Faces of War & Men of War (both brilliant), Grand Ages: Rome (quite a simple city builder with light RTS combat – quite relaxing, I enjoyed it probably more than it deserved), Spellforce 2 (an often overlooked game – one of the few to try an RPG/RTS hybrid and pull it off).

I’ve heard only bad things about Tomorrow War. There was a bunch of space shooters that came out around that time and, as far as I know, they were all terrible.

Avoid King Arthur too.

• sinister agent says:

Cheers for the advice, I appreciate your taking the time. I’ve already got Men of War and loads left to finish, but for a quid I think Faces of War must be worth a go. CoH I’ve already got, though not able to play it yet for technical reasons.

Rome was on my shortlist. I’m grateful for the recommendation, as I was thinking of ditching it for being combat-heavy, which is fine, but I have other games for that. Think I’ll give it a go if the peaceful city stuff is as fun as Jimbo says.

I’m going tor Faces of War, Rome, Spellforce 2 (making an exception to my anti-goblin-game stance), and the Sim City knock-off. Sword of the Stars has been on my radar for ages, but I’ve still got sins of a solar thingface to wear out first.

• DrGonzo says:

For some reason Faces of War really clicked with me. Me and my flatmate played it through in co-op. By played it through obviously I mean failed horribly at every mission over and over, but still found it really fun. Then Men of War just didn’t seem to be as good. Better graphics, better interface etc but just didn’t click in the same way.

• Jimbo says:

Dr. G: Check out ‘Soldiers: Heroes of WW2’ if you can find it.

It’s from the same series of games (came out before Faces), but it’s held up fine. I think if you preferred FoW to MoW (I did too), you’ll probably like Soldiers. It’s the most manageable of the three (less units, less huge scale chaotic missions). I’ve played it through a couple of times co-op with different people. It’s a decent challenge, but not impossible to get through the missions and it’s a ton of fun.

If you do play it, don’t be put off by the first British mission – the start of that is probably the hardest bit in the game. Pro-Tip: Steal the boat.

• jaheira says:

“Avoid King Arthur too.”

Yes you should avoid King Arthur. If you hate interesting and beautiful strategy games that is.

14. noobnob says:

I really don’t understand the STALKER promo. I mean, the publishing rights for STALKER SoC are owned by THQ, right? Then why is GSC bundling CoP together with SoC, and why isn’t CS included in this deal?

All in all, a big turn off as I already have SoC.

• Jimbo says:

They had that loyalty offer with Call of Pripyat where you could get it a fair bit cheaper if you owned SoC. I imagine this is tied up with that somehow, so they can/will only offer this discount on Pripyat if you are also buying SoC.

I guess they *could* still offer a similar discount just on CoP for people that already own SoC… but £6 isn’t exactly a lot to ask even if you only want Pripyat. The game’s barely 6 months old.

• Blather Blob says:

@noobnob: And with SoC having been something like $1 in previous sales, maybe they just couldn’t be bothered to create a CoP-only deal, with explanations of who qualifies and tech support questions from people who didn’t understand the explanation, for an extra $0.50 in savings.

15. Tacroy says:

I really wanted to like Dogfighter, but the controls are way too wonky for me. Back to World of Tanks I guess.

• Moth Bones says:

It’s not suited to keyboard at all, is it? A real shame, could have been good fun.

• DrGonzo says:

I just don’t get it. You really do a lot better in the multiplayer with a mouse and keyboard than a controller. Using a 360 controller completely gimps your plane.

16. Pepelusky says:

“Even worse, if you already own one of the two games on offer, you can’t just get the other at a discount, or gift the spare copy you’ve paid for.”

Well, that doesnt work for Stalker. I only bought the pack because of Call of prypyat(already had SoC). It’s in the Gift support page. Also, it warned me twice about no getting it.

17. BigLon(aka HotDog) says:

I purchased Total Annihilation at the dollar store years ago, for a one USD. :D
    I also purchased some fantasy expansion/game for it too.

The deal on Stalker games look good, but I already have SoC. I am not so sure how well Prypyat will run on my Ol 7600GT. :/ Perhaps Ill skip this sale.

• dadioflex says:

And I bought a toaster from your mom. She seemed happy to get the money. I had to stop her hugging me.

• Urael says:

Perhaps one day the human race will evolve beyond “your mom” jokes. Sadly that day is not today.

• DrGonzo says:

I would doubt that Pripyat would work on your system. I maxed out the first and played the second near enough maxed out. But Pripyat runs terribly at any settings. I have an intel Dual-core e6600 and an Ati 4850.

18. phuzz says:

Off to Shambala eh? Got a costume sorted yet? We’re going for a quick and easy bat costume so come say hello if you spot us :)

• LewieP says:

Am I supposed to have a costume? I have plenty of time to rustle one up, but I didn’t know it was particularly fancy dress themed.

I don’t know much about the festival, mostly going because some friends of mine I’ve not seen in far too long are going too.

• phuzz says:

@LewieP: It’s my first time as well, but everyone I know from bristol seems to be going.
      Apparently, on Sat evening there’s a big fancy dress parade, which isn’t mandatory, but is pretty widespread.
      If you spot a bloke with bat wings and cricket pads wandering around say hi :)

19. DrGonzo says:

Hang on you don’t know Total Annihilation? I think of my self as young, I’m 24, and I used to play this obsessively when I was younger.

• LewieP says:

It’s a little before my time. I did play a few RTSs from that era, Starcraft and Red Alert 2 mostly, but never played TA. I’m 23.

• DrGonzo says:

Well I would definitely recommend trying it if you have the patience as it is a classic. But you have probably been told that by lots of other people :)

20. MadMatty says:

mmm Total Annihilation IS indeed the old version of Supreme Commander, and is an outstanding classic- if you have an old computer get it NOW- if you got a nu one, supcom is selling for like 6 euro on the net

21. GC says:

Ah that old Total Annihilation, its amazing to see how some parts of it are still ahead of StarCraft 2 ! ( and how its good gameplay is so much interesting than StarCraft 2 and pushing units forwards to see the next story cutscene…)

TA is one of the only RTS I liked. WarZone 2100 is one of them too

22. GC says:

in TA when one of your units (and there can be thousands of them) fire plasma or laser toward another unit, it’s not x health points that are removed from the unit : it’s a projectile that leaves the cannon with a certain vector and velocity, and if it cross path with another unit during its course then damage happens.
    Meaning you end up cursing your recon plane that was patrolling above your “big gun of massive destruction that take ages and tons of energy to reload” just when it fired…