One More Arma II: OA Session?

After the mild success of our previous adventures in Arma II: Operation Arrowhead, we’ve decided to do one more event on the borrowed RPS server before it is placed on a flaming barge and pushed out to sea. The event will take place this Saturday, 11th August September, from 8pm BST. I will post a new password in this thread half an hour before we start. First come first served and such.

1. Selendor says:

11 August?

Anyways good luck with it I thought the previous report was an excellent read.

2. SvDvorak says:

I would like to note that a bunch of us have been playing ArmA 2 OA on that server pretty much every night since the previous event and there’s no sign of stopping. We usually gather in the RPS Steamchat beforehand and there’s a thread in the RPS forums with pictures and video of our previous sessions link to rockpapershotgun.com

So why not hop on and warm up for the 11th (which I presume should be September)?

• Jim Rossignol says:

I’m glad it’s been getting some use. I’m afraid it will shut down on the 12th. Let’s give it a good send off on the 11th.

• Alexander Norris says:

Oh no. :(

I suppose that means I’ll have to start playing with SA people if I want to continue playing OA, then.

• Alexander Norris says:

I forgot: Jim, there’s apparently a version of the Domination One Team missions with community fixes available (according to Bodge IIRC), which is v2.54. I’m not sure if anyone has a download link but if I can pester Bodge/other people into finding a link, could we update the server with the 2.54 ones? It seems 2.28 has a fair few bugs.

• Nullkigan says:

@Jim: Any chance of someone throwing together/uploading a custom mission consisting of a [viking longship] and a PILE of explosives?

As a few of us now have serviceable video capture options we could go out with a literal bang!

3. Alex Bakke says:

Are we allowed to bring friends, or at least keep them on standby should the game not fill up?

And what SvDvorak said. We normally start at around 6:30 BST.

4. Brumisator says:

but sept 11th is international bowling and jenga day!
    sorry, sorry, couldn’t resist.

I’ll be there!…if I get there in time.
    Are we going to use vent/teamspeak or just the ingame chat system?

5. Gap Gen says:

Gogo tiny SEKFOR logo!

6. Web Cole says:

Kewl, I can make this one :D

@ Jim, if you wish it, I have a Teamspeak 3 server we could use :)

7. Luomu says:

Jim: could you update the Dom missions to 2.54, available here: link to teamspaff.co.uk. Just put the PBOs in the mpmissions directory, the rest is not required.

8. HybridHalo says:

I plan to attend this one!

9. PiD says:

Oh man, i’m away this weekend and i’ve really enjoyed playing this..

Gutted :(

Are there any other active servers we can use after the 12th or should I look into acquiring one?

• Web Cole says:

Tactical Gamer are quite good in my experience, although I haven’t played on any of their ARMA severs. They can also be quite stodgy: no swearing, no chit-chat, that sort of thing.

• Nullkigan says:

64 slot servers run at ~£60 a month from JestServers, with 30 player ones being only 5-10 quid cheaper.

AlphaNetworks.co.uk go at £32 for 30 and £65 for 64, but provide fewer details on their server config on the order page.

The most players we have had online at one time is apparently 20 (c.f. link to arma2.swec.se)

I’d be happy to chip in a couple of quid seeing as I got the game for free, maybe even a full months worth at Alpha’s prices. Hell, if I can figure out a way to operate a tips-jar I’ll rent the server myself.

10. browna3 says:

no chit chat? thats a new one to me :p

the swearing one is part of the goals of TG trying to create an environment for people of all ages to game. so people who play at TG have small children, But were not that strict, we just don’t like people swearing for the sake of swearing.

Anyway, you should come and join us some time we would be more than happy to invite everyone here to game with us!

We also have a couple of planned events coming soon that you might also like to take part in!

p.s would i be able to join in with you guys on the 11th?

• Senethro says:

No, my experience with TG in other games is that the admins are mostly humorless and very kick happy. Not as bad as those “role playing” servers on CoD4 which forbid you from running, but very armchair general.

• Web Cole says:

I play Project Reality, and almost exclusively on your server, as I say I have never played on the TG ARMA servers, so my experience is limited to PR.

I play mostly on your server because the teamwork to be found there is usually far above that of other servers, and the quality of players is at a similarly high level. There is also an automatic kick in place for swearing (with a number of warnings before the kick) and ‘excessive’ All Chat usage is met with threats of kicking from admins. Which makes for a less than friendly, although always polite atmosphere. This is not a complaint, you understand, thats how you want to run your server and after all its your server. Its more of a difference in outlook :)

11. Jim Rossignol says:

We should have plenty of space for people to join in, but it’ll be first come, first served.

12. CWalker00 says:

Lovely, I’ll have to attempt to jump in on this one.

13. Bodge says:

Arggh you gits, I am almost guaranteed to be out Saturday night. I will have to get my fix in the evenings running up to it.

• Nullkigan says:

But who will lead us to victory? D:

Alex is a dangerous squad leader!

• Alex Bakke says:

I actually think I can be quite a competent squad leader; it’s just my piloting that you think is terrible.

14. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

ARGH! I’m still in waiting for this to arrive! I bought it for the first sesh and still waiting for it in the post!

15. gildron says:

I never got to play in the winner’s game due to all the rescheduling, it made me very sad.

I’ll try to be there.

16. H says:

Oh bloody hell, I missed the first one because I was working and now I’m going to this one because I’m off out for my 40th. Bloody buggering bottoms.

Will you be doing more of these?

• Luomu says:

Drop by the Steam group chatroom and we’ll get some games going before Saturday.

17. Bodge says:

Game today at somepoint, I have the day off.

18. Senethro says:

Still can’t join, still can join any OA server except RPSs own.

Whats the custom campaign? That 2750kb file that tries to download every time? I could download it manually and reduce the number of points of failure.

19. Brumisator says:

Am I the only one furiously refreshing this page to get to the password?

20. Ozymandias says:

QRRBRBILBEL WHERE EEES EEEET! *Aneurysm*

21. Brumisator says:

:D

22. Luomu says:

Thanks for the games tonight, fun was had, 24 people on the server at maximum. We completed the mission too!