World In Motion: FIFA 11 Demo

GET THE GREEN MAN! HE'S DIFFERENT FROM US!

As much as it’s tempted to use the photo from today’s earlier PES demo, so cementing RPS’ reputation as confused men in a land of foot-to-ball, I’m going to resist. EA have released a demo of their game. It features foot-to-ball. An exhibition match with 3 minute halves in Real Madrid’s home stadium, Estadio Santiago Bernabeu. Apparently. Here’s a trailer.

1. clive dunn says:

Great, so tonight i can take both the demo’s round to my brothers and playtest them as we do every year, before deciding that yet again, fifa has the better menus and pro evo has the better gameplay.
    Fortunatly we will be very stoned.

• Dolphan says:

You must be stoned if you kept coming to that conclusion after 2009 …

• Ian says:

Maybe in his stoned state he confused the word “menus” with “everything”, as regards the past couple of respective FIFA and PES games.

• DrGonzo says:

Well I think Pro Evo 2010 was a massive improvement on 2009, whereas Fifa 10 was a bit meh. And the graphics on the players faces is much better in Pro Evo. But yeah, Fifa is unfortunately better at the moment.

What are the demos like? Has Pro Evo got it’s game back? As soon as it does I’m abandoning Fifa.

2. Sagan says:

RPS you are confused men in the land of foot-to-ball. That is clearly a screenshot of an old version of FIFA, since Werder Bremen currently wears a different outfit. In fact you can see the same player in the video wearing a different outfit at 1:20.

3. laikapants says:

Huh, they didn’t update the Green n’ White’s kit? Sad, I like this year’s quite a bit. Also, obligatory Doing Really Well in the World Foot-to-Ball Cup and Now I’m Too Good for my Team grumbling as spawned by the screenshot. And uh, yay (although I’m hesitant to get it since I’ve still only played the one season in Fifa10)!

4. Xoota says:

In fact, Özil now plays for Real Madrid…

5. Drexer says:

Wait; 11-player online teams? Has this been in the previous versions(latest) or is it a new function that is now starting to be added? I only knew of an hockey game that ahd such an online play.

I still despise football with eevry fibber of my being, but seeng some kind of innovation(even if it has been clamored after sicne the 90’s ) is always good.

• Binman88 says:

I despise those damn lying eevry fibbers too.

• P7uen says:

After this many sequels you’d think they’d have 64 player online matches by now.

6. Nemon says:

Yes, another useless trailer showing camera angles no one ever fucking use. Why the hell are foot to ball game developers so bloody worried about getting the details on Rooneys chin textures correct when everyone and their mum is playing this game zoomed out? Give us atmosphere, detailed stadiums and everything surrounding the field so this actually looks and feels like a football match.

• terry says:

I would like to see a game that features authentic petulant tantrums and referee heckling, the ability to knock over crowd members/photographers and unskippable badly sung national anthems.

7. Po0py says:

Can you play as Copa Libertadores in this demo, too?

8. Gary W says:

As far as I’m concerned, the football game genre ended when they came up with Speedball 2, SWOS and the Competition Pro joystick. Everything else is redundant.

9. clive dunn says:

Just noticed the offer of a free voucher with the first 100 purchases, entitling you to a night with a prostitute. (you have to have a wife and kids to qualify for it though)

10. Blargh. says:

Will there be any DLC map packs to come out with this game? It’s not too late to add capture-the-flag mode to the multiplayer too.

11. Jason Moyer says:

Haven’t seen it mentioned on RPS yet, but it’s probably worth pointing out that that this isn’t the same engine as the last-gen console one they’ve been using since 2001 or thereabouts, which is interesting I guess. I’ll probably give the demo a go.

12. Kold says:

There’s something much more important that rps should know: This is the first FIFA game since ages ago to get a PC release that is a port from the new generation consoles instead of the ps2.

Yes, that means that people who prefer FIFA to PES had to play a ps2 port last year. Oh EA.

• Jason Moyer says:

I wish they’d give NHL the same treatment so I could stop playing the old 2K games on my xbox.

13. Gary W says:

Everything. The game as it was played on the Amiga represents the endpoint of the evolution of all modern football games.

14. Bottes UGG says:

Votre article m’a donné beaucoup de reflexions. Allez-vous faire des folies sur une paire de bottes ugg cette saison ? Ces bottes sont très belles.

15. Raum says:

Tried the PS3 demo yesterday, and man is it buggy. Not to mention, the performance is horrible. Replays seems to chug along at about 10 FPS. The new penalty system is very hard to get to work reliably as of yet, some of that is because of the horrible performance (insane delays).

They have loads of work to do if they are to release a worthwhile version in a couple of months.

• Jason Moyer says:

I dunno what your PC specs are like, but I’m running the demo on a dualcore/8800gt and it runs well and is quite lovely. This demo makes the lack of PC NHL 11 all the more heartbreaking.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’m also not getting the absurdly low framerates/stuttering I’ve seen in the last few iterations of the EA Sports games on the xbox 360 (haven’t played them on ps3, I imagine their performance is just as bad).

• fallingmagpie says:

Dunno, FIFA 10 on my mate’s PS3 has always been quite silky when I’ve played it.

The FIFA 11 demo on my PC (same spec as Jason’s) runs very well, one point where the animation hung for about a second, but that was it.

16. TheClosedWalletBrigade says:

Many cool points for referencing the old New Order World Cup song. Many cool points.

17. Vague-rant says:

Lags a bit (on my mid-low rig at medium settings), but is still a fair bit better than PES might be the first football game I buy on PC for many a year.