Spacewalk: My First Quantum Translocator

This is a screenshot of me, the one in white, running for my life. I hate screenshots.

What is the job of a games journalist? For me, right now, the job is to be driven crazy mental-potatoes by excellent browser game My First Quantum Translocator, and I urge you to do the same. Made by the same team behind the (in my head) BAFTA award winning Don’t Shit Your Pants, My First Quantum Translocator is a Portal/VVVVVV-style platformer that tasks you with mastering a single, tricky mechanic- in this case, the ability to drop a shadow of yourself, then teleport there with a flick of the spacebar, with any momentum you had prior to the teleport carrying through.

If you’re a member of that weird caste of weirdoes that would rather watch a video of a game than play it, I’ve embedded a walkthrough video of MFQT after the jump. Thanks to Indie Games Blog for the tipoff.

Look! I wasn’t even lying.

1. Rinox says:

Videos (of games) are art. Games can never be art!

2. Wurzel says:

Oh good, they’ve gone with the ‘guy giving you orders does not have your best interests at heart’ trope. You almost never see that in flash puzzle/platformers.

3. Ian says:

I had to resort to the most irritating kind of cheating, the kind where you check how to do it and it’s exactly what you’ve been trying, you’d just been a klutz with the timing.

I also had to cheat to get the “are you sure you’re not missing something?” bit.

Cooper says:

Don’t Shit Yourself was an epic Kafka-esque work.

5. CMaster says:

Was fun, only had to skip one level.
    Have to admit needing “R” to get the “good end” though – hadn’t anitcipated my escape acheiving escape velocity, as it were.

6. Wilson says:

This was a fun little game. The level skip option was fantastic. I had to skip three levels (including one early one which I’m sure I should have been able to do).

@Wurzel – I thought that as well :) Still, it was hardly trying to be a great story was it? And I still went ‘awww’ at the good ending.

7. serioustiger says:

This is very nice, Quinns, but shouldn’t you be playing Minecraft?

8. Faxmachinen says:

I ragequit because of the stupid control scheme. I have trouble enough playing games that use up instead of space to jump. Space being something completely different that is likely to get you killed doesn’t really help. And don’t get me started on W.

And even if I didn’t mind, my keyboard won’t let me press up, left and space at the same time.

• Ian says:

Assuming that you gave up early, you’re told pretty early on that you (SPOILERS!) press ‘F’ to automatically jump and shift to your ‘shadow’, meaning you’d only need F and left.

• Antsy says:

Real games use, Q, A, O, P & M.

9. Marko says:

I F’d and then left

10. Dhatz says:

it’s an awesome concept, it’s too short and uýnpolished ,but you can have alternate endings depending on which character you cheat yourself. hint: use translocator to not go to credits. yes,the controls were real PIA.

11. No one says:

It’s a cheaper version of Portal.