HAWX 2 Not Delayed. It’s Delayed-Delayed

VG247 report that dogs are continuing to eat their homework. At least it’s not as bad as Assasin’s Creed Brotherhood being pushed back into 2011, as HAWX 2 will be arriving on November 16th, instead of October 1st, instead of the early-September the console folk got it on. Let’s hope it doesn’t get delayed-delayed-delayed. Until then, here’s a the launch trailer.

That’s the console launch trailer. Not the PC one. It’s been delayed for the PC.

You really aren’t paying attention, are you?

1. Shakermaker says:

I’ve heard this has been delayed for PC.

2. Nemon says:

Header picture dogfight looks stupid.

• pupsikaso says:

Not even as stupid as what you do in the game. I played the PS3 demo and couldn’t stand it.

• Rii says:

Odd choice of aircraft for a promotional pic.

3. Santiago says:

Oh no you give RPS time to this and not the imminent DCS:Warthog which even has a proper trailer. Where´s Tim Stoned when we need him?

• ruaidhri says:

link to youtube.com

yeah baby ! wooh, rock n’roll etc

• Spork says:

Seconding this, and thanks Santiago I hadn’t seen the new vid.

Even though I didn’t get very far with the missions in Black Shark I’m so getting this. Might even be a good excuse to upgrade my rig.

• Richard Clayton says:

@Santiago: And indeed Battle of Britain: Storm of War imminent too.

How imminent is difficult to say. Anyone?

Oleg had this to say in a SIM HQ interview early last year:

“You said recently you want it released for the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. That would be in September 2010. Are you confident flight simmers around the world will be flying Storm of War: Battle of Britain in October 2010?”

“Oleg: Yes, it is our general plan. Maybe it will arrive earlier. I can’t say right now the exact date. But by October 2010 (if not before) Storm of War: Battle of Britain should have many thousands of users.”

This could be yet another ruse. I remember when it was meant to be Nov 2006.

4. rocketman71 says:

I like Ubi’s marketing, between this and their shitty DRM, they make it so easy to not buy their games…

5. Dominic White says:

From what I’ve heard, PC gamers really aren’t missing out. I’ve heard almost nothing positive about HAWX 2, even from people who loved the first.

• DrGonzo says:

Really? I really enjoyed the bombing with night vision in this game. Although it’s not great it was entertaining, and it’s much better than the first.

6. pilouuuu says:

It’s becoming oh so common to get games delayed…

7. Ravenger says:

It takes time to add unecessary DRM to a game, you know.

You’d think by now they’d realise the best way to maximise sales is to release games simultaneously on all formats so they all get the benefit of the marketing campaign.

Releasing a game later means it won’t sell because the marketing push will be over and done with by then.

8. Anonononomous says:

No loss. It’s pretty bad. The first was much better. This one has maybe 2 interesting missions but is full of bad missions and even worse basic design decisions that affect almost all missions.

• kibayasu says:

The problem HAWX2 has is in its enemy plane AI. Instead of what they did in the first game, which is basically what you could do (that is, they atually maneuvered around), the enemy planes in HAWX2 fly straight at you, slow down to impossibly slow speeds that you can’t possibly match without staling, then circle you endlessly. Then there’s planes that drop an unlimited supply of flares every few seconds, forcing you to use guns.

9. Jimbo says:

He didn’t even bother inventing a last-minute technical issue to placate people? ‘Buffering the clouds for extra fluffosity’ or some such? That’s cold, Clancy.

• Sir Derpicus says:

…I could use an extra fluffy cloud.
      Well, hope the game is good. I’d like a good modern “realistic” casual combat flight-sim with modern planes, to be honest (and no, not just a shitty version of ace combat with YET ANOTHER TOM CLANCY STORY™).
      I don’t even mind the DRM. People who use wireless internet on their gaming computer (bonus hate for gaming on a laptop) by choice deserve far worse than not being able to play games. They need to be lobotomized or something.
      …to be honest though? HAWX 2 looks shaky at best. Hope for the best I guess.

• jon_hill987 says:

@Sir Derpicus: And what about those people who, I don’t know, have their phone socket downstairs and their PC upstairs? Most people use wireless out of necessity, not choice.

• Sir Derpicus says:

I specifically mentioned people who use wireless by choice, but I can see how the frustration of being on a wireless connection might make you lash out at people not on a wireless connection.
      Anyhow, I guess the whole ubisoft DRM thing is only alarming in that it’s the first DRM that requires an internet connection to launch in ANY capacity. It’s bad in that it sets a new standard in “how much unnecessary prerequisite can we put on videogames”, but after finishing asscreed 2, I don’t think the DRM was nearly impairing on the gameplay as other shoddy ports such as devil may cry 3, resident evil 4 and onimusha . I’d rather have an ubisoft DRM’d asscreed 2 than horribad japanese console ports that feels malicious (last remnant actually required a fucking game controller, can you fucking believe that?), is what I’m trying to say. Maybe we can make compromises with this lesser (reasonable, even) of two evils and just live with it.
      …Then again, it would kind of suck to not be able to play ubi games after moving to a new house/apartment while waiting for your connection to be setup.

10. Kid A says:

So, the console crowd got to pirate it before us (I saw a working copy for a fiddled-with 360 a week before release) and yet somehow, PC gamers are the ones being given hideous delays and ridiculous DRM. Okay, Ubisoft. Okay.
    Oh wait, console piracy doesn’t exist. Must have been a dream. Silly me.

11. Arthur says:

That’s actually what this article is all about, the fact that it got delayed.

12. ZIGS says:

Ubisoft never fails to amuse

13. Ben says:

It just needs a good caption, say “Eurofighter vs. Harrier, when IFF goes bad…”

14. destroy.all.monsters says:

I am surprised anyone cares.

15. wcaypahwat says:

Whys does it all look worse (graphically) than the original?

• Ellie says:

Noticed that too, probably recorded from a console or something..

16. Dominic White says:

Just give me a new Ace Combat game, one where I can fight aerial battleships and fly inside hollowed-out mountains containing giant superweapons while orchestral epicness and the cheers of my squadmates blares through the speakers.

Oh, wait – there IS a new Ace Combat game coming out… and it’s set in the real world. And there’s a US-vs-Russia plot.

TOM CLANCY, WHAT HATH YOU WROUGHT!?

17. CommanderZx2 says:

I don’t know a single person who wants to buy Ubisoft PC games anymore and so there’s no big loss there.

• mrmud says:

I’ll buy ubisoft games if there are good enough.
      I certainly had no qualms about buying Assassins Creed 2 although I would hestiate for less interesting titles.

18. tigershuffle says:

bought the first one…..and traded it within the week

poor soul-less pretty shooter masquerading as a flightsim lite…best left for consoles.
    Cant see 2 playing much different on PC

*continues to wait for BOB Storm of War* :(

19. Drug Crazed Dropkick says:

Yeah, HAWX 2 is fun because it has planes. But our reviewer essentially said “It’s planes. Just planes. But it steals so much from other games (It has a death star style finish for chrissake). He loved the first as well. Argh”.

Though of course you should totally go read the full review. /Hint