The RPS Bargain Bucket: This Hollywood Life

Who the hell decided to let me do alt-texts? - Lewie

There was a magical moment last weekend at E2. I spent most of my first day in the Earl’s Court region seeking out the most cost effective services and utilities that me and my fellow expo goers could use in the local vicinity. I found Hollywood Chicken, a delightful foodery with friendly staff, low prices and upward of 2mg of iron in every serving. Perfect for RPS’s needs. By the time a group of seven of us descended upon it, I realised I had spent all of my currency on transport around London the previous night, and there wasn’t a cash machine in sight. Kieron and Quinns came to my rescue. They spotted an item on the menu that would satisfy our need for sustenance. The Bargain Bucket, what else? I contributed the change in my pocket, Kieron dipped into his grant from Professor X, and Quinns shared some of his no doubt ill gotten earnings. We feasted on dead animal and chips, and I survived to give you yet another digest of gaming savings. SavyGamer.co.uk is your hub for savings across all gaming formats. Here’s this week’s selection.

Sol Survivor – £3.99/€4.49/$4.99
I planned to include this in the bargain bucket from the moment I saw it. It certainly isn’t a last minute addition that I know nothing about. I remember the first time I played it, I thought to myself “This is certainly a computer game that I have opinions about.” So that’s that. You should probably take my word on it, but Jim had these things to say about it, although I suspect he didn’t even play it! It’s free to play this weekend, so you can extensively try before you buy.

Gobliiins Trilogy – £2.57/€2.94/$4.10
Relive Alec’s childhood for only a few bob, the second of this triiilogy was one of the games that made him. He had this to say about it:
“What did Gobliins 2 teach me? I guess that, like most of the others here, it developed my preference for a well-crafted world over precise mechanics. I’m fearful to revisit its pratfall-based gags now, but I suspect its tale of idiots somehow blundering through danger had some effect on my generally irreverent approach to my own gaming adventures. In hindsight, it also taught me that games can be a force for much more than mere hedonism. Like playing Scorched Earth with those Bigger Boys, it brought me closer to someone I (at the time) had a fairly fractured relationship with.”
Don’t know if this is a permanent offer of not, someone emailed me a link to it and I have literally no information beyond that, so don’t even bother asking.

King’s Bounty: Platinum Bundle – £11.99/€11.99/$20.99
Apply coupon “rpsbounty”
This is the full compilation of all three of 1C Company’s Meer-adored strategy thing. I hope they’ve got a plan for what the collection will be called if they release another expansion (what’s more valuable than platinum?). Alec proto-Wot I thinked the first one here, Euroviewed the second here, and accidentally Wot I thinked the recent third one here.

Atari classics pack – £20.12/€22.91/$31.90
Includes (and individual pricing):
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare – £2.64/€3.01/$4.19
Blood – £2.64/€3.01/$4.19
Blood 2: The Chosen + Expansion – £2.64/€3.01/$4.19
Independence War Deluxe – £2.64/€3.01/$4.19
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos – £2.64/€3.01/$4.19
Master of Magic – £2.64/€3.01/$4.19
Master of Orion 1 + 2 – £2.64/€3.01/$4.19
Master of Orion 3 – £4.41/€5.02/$6.99
Outcast – £2.64/€3.01/$4.19
Total Annihilation: Commander Pack – £2.64/€3.01/$4.19
I’m drawing a line. What GOG did was in many ways stupid, but I think we’ve had all the discussion needed about it, and everyone has made up their minds about whether they want to continue using GOG or not. You might have thought Jim failed rather fantastically last weekend by picking Outcast for the not-Bargain Bucket, despite it not being on sale. Turns out he’s just ahead of the curve by exactly one week.

Deal of the week
CERTAINLY NOT L4D+L4D2. DON’T KNOW WHERE YOU WOULD HAVE GOT THAT IDEA.

Scoregasm – £3.15/€3.65/$4.99
This was discounted last weekend, but the bucket wasn’t around to collect it’s gooey cheaposity. In exchange for a hi5 at E2, Mr. Knight said he’d extend the offer to make sure that no RPS readers would miss out. What a lovely thing to do. The game is a wonderful twin stick shooter, that is actually more inspired by scrolling shooters, and you can optionally shout “BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!” when you use the area attack to kill lots of baddies at once. If you pay a little bit more you get immediate access to the beta, and a bit more again and you get a thank you in the credits. RPS coverage here.

Also of note:
The Blackwell Legacy, PC – £3.19/€3.99/$3.99
Blackwell Unbound – £3.19/€3.99/$3.99
The Blackwell Convergence – £3.99/€5.99/$5.99
Killing Floor – £7.49/€8.99/$9.99
Activision don’t get a working link for their pathetic discount on MW2. The Steamworks retail version was available for £23.99 at release, and is £17.99 now. They have temporarily discounted the Steam version to £26.79. Since CODBLOPS is out soon, seems like they could drop it to around a tenner.
UK/Europe folk who buy any games from Zavvi or The Hut should probably abuse the hell out of this.
Games for Windows Live is still not very good.

Remember to visit SavyGamer.co.uk for all of your video game discount needs.

This failure’s for you, KG

Thanks to samartriot for providing this screenshot of Car Wot Goes Fast.

1. Auspex says:

Left 4 Dead deals are dead.

2. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Sol Survivor has a 50% discount on Steam, and a free weekend until Sunday.

3. Carra says:

-Steam has a laughable discount for CoD: MW 2. Only €41, I’ve seen it cheaper in retail shops without being at bargain prices.

-The gog.com deal is pretty good though. Outcast & Total Annihalation for cheap? Yes please. I really have to play our one Belgian classic one of these days.

-The Left 4 Dead deals seems to have finished. At least in Europe.

4. Delusibeta says:

Talking about failures, the L4D deals ended Friday.

5. Gwyn says:

Suede? Oh you monster, how could you?

• jeremypeel says:

At ther glam-indie buffet, I eat all the Suede while nobody’s looking. Everyone else has to make do with Sparks sandwiches.

6. Bob Bobson says:

The awesomeness of Master of Magic, actually working on a modern computer, for £2.64 can not be overstated. But then neither can King’s Bounty nodding to RPSes fandom in their coupon.

7. Octaeder says:

All the Blackwell trilogy is on offer at gamersgate at the moment, for about £3 each. Although the bundle is still full price for some reason.

8. Lambchops says:

If you haven’t yet got the 57th best game of all time you really have no excuse.

9. Memphis-Ahn says:

Master of Magic and Outcast?
    Bought’d!

10. iLag says:

That Gobli(i(i))ns promo last until monday.
    And you all ought ot at least try Sol Survivor, it has some excellent multiplayering going on.

11. iLag says:

forgot and s in the above post.
    And I forgot that you can get the recently released Blade Kitten at Gamersgate for 33% off. Not sure if it is worth it, but hey, it’s cheap.

• castle says:

dunno if this is the case in europe/elsewhere, but in the US the gamersgate discount simply brings the price down to the normal steam price of $10 (it’s listed as $13 normally on gamersgate)

12. mike says:

How does Get Games work? Does it require a client like Steam? Never heard of it, grats Eurogamer.

• Unaco says:

It’s not really a full client I don’t think… not like the Steam client. It was a tiny download for a downloader for the product I bought… so it was a <100KB file called the "Kings Bounty Platinum Edition web installer", which is now running and downloading the 5GB of the product. I'm assuming they have a small downloader client for each product in their catalogue.

13. Auspex says:

I really don’t know whether to buy the King’s Bounty pack or not…

AGAINST
    – I have an irrational hatred of buying bundles where I own even one of the things in said bundle.
    – I’m ludicrously busy at the moment.
    – I currently have no income.

FOR
    – I love me some KB.
    – I’d play the shit out of it so it would be really cost-effective.
    – I’m really sick at the moment so today’s probably a right-off as far as doing anything productive goes and I’m no doctor but I’m fairly sure a day of playing KB will cure me.

TORN!

14. Lars Westergren says:

Old School RPG fans: Spiderweb software (Avernum, Geneforge) has its game collections are 25% off and all other products 10% off, all through October.

I really ought to buy and play these one day, being a RPG and Indie fan. I hear they are pretty good once you get over the simple graphics and UI.

Also, thanks for posting the “Alpha Protocl £2.50” deal on Reddit during the week, Lewie. Shame it expired so quickly, they must have misplaced a comma in the pricing db. Their site seems to be one to keep an eye on though, they are much cheaper than Steam for instance.
    link to greenmangaming.com

• iLag says:

Not really sure if Greenmangaming is that good. Out of the three games I bought there, only one worked as it was supposed to. The other two either didn’t work at all (Infernal. boohoo.) or the most recent patches didn’t work for them (Greed – Black Border. what especially annoyed me here was that GMG even wrote a blog post about the latest patch. and then it doesn’t work with their game. that’s rather unprofessional, huh?). Plus, their prices can be a bit high sometimes. And I’d rather use the Steam client than their Capsule thingy.

That Alpha Protocol pricing error made me forget all of this, though. Thank you indeed, Lewie. (OT: I didn’t think the hacking minigame in AP could be that bad. But it is, oh it is.)

• Lewie Procter says:

It was a bit of a stonking deal wasn’t it?

On the whole, Green Man Gaming have failed to impress me. The client they use is pretty bad, and (unless I am mistaken) all games that you can trade in have to dial home every month or you can’t play them.

But for a misprice of a game that activates on Steam? That’s cool.

It’s a shame it didn’t last very long.

• Lars Westergren says:

@iLag

Ah, thanks for the feedback on GreenMan. Sounds like I’ll stick to Steam, GoG and GamersGate then.

If you only could move the left (keyboard controlled) bar faster, the hacking minigame would be quite fun I think. Now it is so frustrating. You see the spot, but moving. the. bar. slowly. one. step. at. a. time. the. letters. rescramble. before. you. get. there.

• Dominic White says:

You make it sound like games that you can trade in dialling home is unreasonable. It’s the only halfway sane way of doing such a thing – if there was no ownership check, you could buy everything on the site, install it, and immediately trade it back for maximum value and lose nothing.

• Lewie Procter says:

Sure, it’s still an inconvenience though. Especially if you have no intention of trading the game in.

Also, the whole trading in thing is a complete farce anyway.

• Rich says:

It may be absolutely the best way of doing it, but it’s still a pain in the arse.

• Dominic White says:

Trade-ins have gotten me four games (admittedly of steadily decreasing price) for the price of one. And that one was a startup giveaway. Farce? Hardly.

If Steam offered the option to cash out unused games on my list, I’d use it in a heartbeat. I’ve got a lot of unwanted stuff on there I’d love to get a few quid out of.

• iLag says:

to be perfectly fair, Greenmangaming’s price seem to have improved somewhat. Remember when King’s Bounty was 30,- €? That was even a discount price, and it wasn’t too long ago. Well, now the game is about 8,- €, with 3,- € you’ll get back as soon as you trade it in. I can live with that.
      Still, you might be able to get good deals on those games from somewhere else just as well.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

@ Lars: Thanks! I’ve thought on it, and I’m actually not going to get the Geneforge series yet. As it is, I have sufficient games but, more importantly, I actually want to support Spiderwebsoft by paying the full amount. Jeff Vogel deserves it.

• Rich says:

@Dominic White, re. Steam exchanges.
      Totally agree. I doubt they will though.
      On one hand it makes some sense now they’re introducing their Steam monies.
      On the other, they’re probably not interested in allowing a second-hand market, and probably neither are the publishes.

Hmm… also most of the games I’d want to trade in are the bits and bobs from the THQ bundle that I never play or already have. I wonder what their feelings would be about trading those, and whether they’d be able to stop you.

15. Dominic White says:

I’d like to say something controversial here:

I-War 2: Edge of Chaos is better than Freespace 2. By quite a sizeable margin. It has AMAZING semi-sim-style space combat, while still being intuitive enough that I’ve bound the full controls to my 360 controller, and it works amazingly.

It has a goddamn huge campaign, but outside of the plot, it’s freeform – it’s set across a huge universe where you can trade, loot, pirate and generally do your own thing, and there are plenty of mods for it that expand the sandbox element further still.

It has aged amazingly well. It runs at modern widescreen resolutions natively, and aside from some quirks with modern NVdia cards (workarounds are listed on the GoG tech support page), it runs perfectly on modern hardware.

If you like space combat games, and don’t own this one, why the hell not? It’s £3. BUY IT, GODDAMMIT.

If you have a 360 pad (trust me, it works amazingly well for the game), get my control profile here.
    link to megaupload.com
    Drop it in your I-War 2\Configs directory, and it should appear as an option in-game.

I had a text file that described what all the buttons where bound to, but I lost it, so you’ll have to either experiment, or just look at the ini file yourself. It’s not complicated, don’t worry.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

How does it compare to Descent?

• Dominic White says:

Controls-wise: Kinda similar, full 6DoF movement.

Flying is a whole different issue, though. You fly corvette-sized ships, and can carry drone fighters to launch. Your ship is big, heavy and powerful, and every movement has inertia to it – you’re flying an enormous chunk of metal, not an abstraction. If you turn off flight assistance, it doesn’t limit your velocity, either. Proper newtonian spaceflight ahoy – infinite speed, should you so wish.

Just remember: Accelerate until halfway to target, then decelerate for the same distance, otherwise you overshoot..

• Phinor says:

I guess I-War 2 is not that well known internationally but in Finland it’s a well-known and highly appreciated game. It got one of the highest scores ever given out (97/100) by the respected Finnish gaming magazine called Pelit. Actually the original I-War was voted game of the year by the journalists.

…oh and I’ve never played the game but if it actually works with a 360 pad, then now is pretty much the time to give it a shot. I’ve quite a few space (combat) games on my waiting list but I seem to lack a joystick and buying one for few space games (I generally dislike flying games but love space combat, go figure) hasn’t been a priority so far.

Anyone tried Freespace 2 with a 360 pad by any chance? And where might one find Tie Fighter?:)

• Lambchops says:

OK you’ve persuaded me I haven’t had any space combat action in ages. Shame I left my joystick at home but I do have a 360 pad so i’ll give that a shot.

Bet it’s not as good as Freespace 2 though!

• Dominic White says:

Given the 6DoF movement, I’d argue that it actually plays better using a gamepad than a joystick. Being able to handle pitch, yaw, roll and thrust in six different directions at once is something that you can really only do with all those controls under your fingers.

• mlaskus says:

I think I will buy it too, it sounds quite splendid. Though, to say that it is better than Freespace 2? You sir must be delusional!

• Jimbo says:

I played Freespace 2 recently with a 360 pad (I still used KB for a few shortcuts iirc). It does work surprisingly well with this type of game.

I’m kinda surprised this genre never really made the jump to consoles. Maybe the inclusion of the space combat level in Halo Reach will make somebody consider it.

• pkt-zer0 says:

A 360 pad for a space sim? For heresy of this magnitude, you’d be burnt at the stake in any civilized country. HOTAS or bust.

Anyway, how exactly do you have your controls laid out? The INI file itself isn’t particularly informative, and I don’t have an X360 controller on hand to test it.

Left stick: Facing
      Right stick: Lateral and Vertical thrust
      Triggers: Main thrusters
      Bumpers: Primary & Secondary weapons
      D-pad: Navigate in-ship UI
      Face-buttons: Important things like cycling weapons, targetting, etc.

I think I made holding down the left stick let you roll – it’s not something you need to do terribly often in space, as you’ve got no planet to keep beneath you. I’ll fire it up again in a bit and remind myself what the bits do, but that’s the essentials. It should usually be pretty clear what things do from a little poking around and seeing what stuff does.

• Unaco says:

I-War 2 is a fan-fuckin-tastic game! I remember it fondly… and I think I still have a copy, in a drawer in my parents house (unless my brother nabbed it). The Newtonian physics make for some amazing flying, and awesome fights, using your inertia and your facing made for some interesting techniques and tactics… I used to be something of a master at the combat, wrote a few strategy guides… popularised a few (risky) techniques, such as use of the LDS-Drive in combat situations (for the initial change in inertia, and not the actual LDS speeds, though, if careful you could use them to your advantage).

Awesome game… if you haven’t tried it, you probably should. Although, I can’t vouch for no 360 control pad nonsense. Joystick works fine… as long as it has a Coolie-Hat. If I remember correctly, I think everything could be done, in flight, through the joystick I have/had (8 Button Sidewinder with the little throttle control and Coolie-Hat)… no need to use the Keyboard, as everything could be accessed through the Hat controlled menus.

• pkt-zer0 says:

No throttles, just the thruster overrides? That’s kind of weird. Also, no subtargeting? I think I remember needing that to mark cargo for Jafs at the very least.

• Dominic White says:

Repeatedly pressing the ‘cycle target under reticule button’ cycles subsystems on that target, and one of the other buttons confirms them to be picked up.

And yeah, I had to assign full thrust forward/back to the triggers, as they wouldn’t work as a throttle axis – if anyone can find a solution to this, I’d be glad, but it’s really not an issue though, as there are very few times you want to use anything less than full thrust, and you can cruise at a set speed easily using either autopilot, or just turning off assists.

• Dominic White says:

I just found my description of my 360 controller profile.

link to forums.somethingawful.com

You’ll still need to use the keyboard occasionally, but it’s usually more as a hotkey/conveinence thing. All the essentials are on the pad.

• Ravenger says:

The latest Nvidia beta drivers fix the graphic glitches on I-War 2 – it now works perfectly on modern nVidia cards, no work-around necessary.

• Dominic White says:

Really good to hear that! Now everyone can enjoy it. And they should, because aside from possibly texture detail, it holds up fantastically well to this day. They future-proofed it stunningly well.

• Wulf says:

Gods damn you, Dominic. You’re costing me money!

The thing is, I love me a decent space game, one of my favourite games was Wing Commander III back in the day, I had a blast with that. Getting older though, I tire of needing to map stuff to a flightstick, so things like Freelancer became fast faves for me, due to not having ten-bajillion (and one, just for good measure) controls to map and use, which drove me absolutely insane. Freelancer felt intuitive, to the point where I absolutely fell in love with its space exploration and combat, everything about that one felt right. I have to say though that the best thing about Freelancer was the British.

I’ll segue from this back to the original topic in a moment, segue from a segue, heh. But hang on.

The British in Freelancer? Their ships were fish. Fish and ships. Really Freelancer, really? But I kind of loved it for that, and that the British police actually wore bobby hats, it was terrible, stereotypical, and yet so absolutely charming. Besides, any game that lets me fly around in something that looks like a Charr-built space whale gets a thumbs up from me. Right, so I liked Freelancer.

I was tempted by I-War 2 because it looked Freelancer-ish, I was tempted by it many, many times, I looked at it, and considered it, and thought about it, and then each time decided not to because the controls would probably be a pain up the jacksie, unlike my beloved Freelancer. And now you’ve told me that the controls are friendly enough to be mapped to a 360 controller. …well then, that means I no longer have an excuse for putting that purchase off, doesn’t it?

Damn you!

(Even though I suspect that I’ll likely have a heck of a lot of fun, since you’re usually spot on about games according to my personal tastes.)

• Ravenger says:

I’ve got a confession to make here – I was the project lead of Independence War deluxe’s Defiance campaign, and was one of several designers who worked on I-War 2, so I’m pleased there’s some discussion about a game I worked on ten years ago!

You might want to check out some mods I wrote way back to add some functionality to the game. The best being Location Finder which adds a sort of A-Z quick index for all the locations in the game, which makes it easy to find particuar locations.

If you have any specific questions about either I-War game you can always post on here or on the GOG forums and I’ll be glad to answer.

• drewski says:

Both I-Wars got great reviews in gaming press, but I literally don’t know a single person who’s ever played them. Including myself.

16. piercehead says:

Yup.. That’s exactly the reason people fly planes with controllers….seriously?

• Dominic White says:

Do planes have maneuvering thrusters on the top, bottom, sides, front and back? Last time I checked, they tended to just have the one, located at the rear.

• user@example.com says:

Actually, as flight games get more and more buttoney, there’s a sweet spot where you’ll want to switch from a joystick to a controller if you don’t have a proper HOTAS setup. Sometimes, an extra stick and a d-pad are more useful than a bigger stick. If nothing else, you can bind one of the sticks to freelook.

17. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

BEWARE! Master of Orion 3 is not a bargain at any price!
    If it were free, it would be a waste of hard disk space, or bandwith. Certainly a waste of time.

But MoO 1+2. Oh my gosh. Probably the best games on the list, and Kings Bounty is there!

• Lewie Procter says:

It’s funny, having not played any of the MoO games, the only thing I could tell you about them is that whenever they come up, people always talk about how terrible the third one is, and how fantastic the first and second are.

Which makes the pricing of them on GOG crazy.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Any random spreadsheet is a better game than Master of Orion 3.

• jeremypeel says:

I got me a Master of Orion 1, and I got me a Master of Orion 2. And I’ma stop there, turn left and buy Outcast instead.

18. Pulsar says:

@Dominic

Looking forward to nicking your work on the control layout. Been long wanting to give I-War 2 a try, but it’s been long enough ago that I last had to use a joystick, that the thought of dusting it off provided sufficient deterrent.

So, my proverbial cap is proverbially doffed, sir. Cheers.

• Dominic White says:

Eh, took me all of 20 minutes to throw together that profile. There’s a control profile editor and a whole buttload of mods on this old community site here:

link to i-war2.com

19. Coren says:

Heads up: the two last Blackwell links are dead, you should make them absolute so they don’t point to an inexistent RPS page.

Speaking of Blackwell: are those games any good?

• Lewie Procter says:

Cheers, fixed. It’s Chrome’s fault. In a recent update, they made it so that the “http://” doesn’t display, so when you copy an address, it starts “www.”, which is what made them not work.

Silly google.

20. Stu says:

Oh man, Car Wot Goes Fast looks even better than I imagined it would.

21. Unaco says:

Possibly a little rash… but I’ve been wanting to pick up King’s Bounty since I saw some thoughts on it here… so, I’ve gone for the Get Games deal, as I was waiting til there was a good deal. Is there anything I need to know about Get Games? Can they be ‘problematic’? Will they be sending someone round to my house to shit in my garden or similar? I have found that it isn’t a separate download for each game in the collection… it’s just one big download of ~5GB. And, Mike asked above… it’s not really a client I don’t think… not like a Steam client. It was a tiny download for a downloader for the product I bought… so it was a <100KB file called the "Kings Bounty Platinum Edition web installer". I'm assuming they have a small downloader client for each product in their catalogue.

Another question, about King's Bounty… Where should I start? I want to get the full experience, play it from the beginning to the end… But, I don't want to play a campaign (or similar) and then play the same campaign with an extra bell and/or whistle. I don't think there'll be a problem with that (from the Crossworlds review, it's an expansion to AP, but also improves the AP campaign?), but if someone who is familiar with the whole bundle, could they share some knowledge here?

• Taillefer says:

Crossworlds includes ‘March of the Orcs’ which expands the original Armoured Princess campaign by adding some new skills, units, items, etc. You can skip the original AP completely and play this instead.

• Taillefer says:

‘Orcs on the March’, rather.
      But, just to clarify. Crossworlds is still an expansion so needs AP to play. Although, there is a version available that includes it, I think.

• Unaco says:

The Platinum Collection, which the dealio is for, has KB: The Legend, Armo(u)red Princess and Crossworlds… So, just to clarify, from that I get The Legend and it’s campaign(s), Armo(u)red Princess, and it’s campaign(s), with all the extra stuff from Crossworlds, and the extra campaign(s) and/or missions etc. from Crossworlds? So, play order would be The Legend, then Armo(u)red Princess (with the extra stuff), and then anything else.

• Taillefer says:

The original (The Legend) is a lengthy campaign, Armoured Princess is a lengthy campaign. Crossworlds is two mini-campaigns (which aren’t that good) and an expansion on the Armoured Princess campaign called ‘Orcs on the March’ which is AP but with new items, units, skills and such.

From the bundle, you can skip ‘Armoured Princess’ and go to ‘Orcs on the March’ instead. The mini-campaigns aren’t really related so can be played any time.

• Unaco says:

That’s cool… thank you for the info. I figured that’s what it would be… Legend campaign, vanilla Armo(u)red Princess campaign, which is made redundant by Orcs on the March, which has the Crossworlds improvements, and the Crossworlds mini campaigns.

Just have to wait 2 1/2 hours til the download is finished.

Tam-Lin says:

If there’s anyone out there who would have liked to take advantage of the L4D2 offer on steam and didn’t for some reason, PM me. I bought the 4-pack and have one left.

23. Dominic White says:

Oh yeah, for anyone getting Blood (if you don’t already have it, you should – and if you do already have it, get it because the GoG version includes the expansion), you’ll want this:

link to blood.nanoaugur.net

A really fancy launcher that also happens to include every single notable level-pack and mod for the game, all equally easily launchable.

Also, avoid Blood 2. It is unbelievably bad. I recently watched a Let’s Play to remind myself how terrible it was, and just sat slack-jawed in horror as the player died by being crushed by a plain, simple swinging wooden door, helpless, because a cutscene had triggered and his cutscene-model-self was standing on a nearby rooftop while his real bodied died off-screen.

24. cncplyr says:

Hollywood Chicken! I used to live opposite that, good times! Alas, I have yet to find a similarly great chicken shop near Kings X.

25. origo says:

yum, gobliiins that actually run without any problem on recent windows versions. and i can finally hear original sound, like it was back then (when i was little). i guess those old game selling sites are quite nice, since the ressurect classics to make ’em playable again.

26. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

GMG:
    Bob Came in Pieces for 3 dollars…2 in fact, as the trade in value is 1 dollar :)
    link to greenmangaming.com

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

And Broken Sword 2+3 for 4 of Monopoly mone…errr…euro’s when bought individually (the overpriced twin pack is ridiculous) over at Gamersgate (got it as I really enjoyed BS: DC (which I didn’t enjoy as much in the original version…too bad there is no BS2:DC, oh well…)

27. Moth Bones says:

I took the plunge for KB as well, it sounds pretty interesting.

I recently bought Age Of Wonders and find it fairly enjoyable, if not amazing. Would it be worth investing in Master Of Magic or is it too similar?

28. Ziv says:

is it possible to get king’s bounty platinum from getgames and register it in steam?

• Unaco says:

Is there anything terrifically wonderful in the Steam version that we may be missing out on with the Get Games Digital Download? I’m not seeing any Steamworks stuff (achievements etc) on the Steam Store page for any of the games. Only thing I could think that may be different would be DRM… Get games mentions, only on the “Your Downloads” page, that the Platinum pack has StarForce, where as Steam doesn’t mention any DRM.

• Ziv says:

sooo….. how does it fare as to reinstallation? I’m thinking of picking it up now and play it once I finish a couple of the games I’m playing now. does it have some kind of client? is it any good?

• Ziv says:

and yeah. that DRM bit, I really like having games on steam which means I can login into any computer I like (or after a format) and just pick any of the games I bought and download it overnight.

• Saiko Kila says:

Steam version is incompatible with other versions. There is at least one hotfix already, and you cannot apply it to Steam version, though the Steam version has it included I believe (at least I don’t have this particular error anymore).

29. terry says:

GMG should pay me for using their rotten client. I have no idea how they’re still in business.

And where the hell did dotemu spring from? They have Tyrian for free :O

• Ziv says:

how bad is it? I really want to pick up King’s Bounty and this is a pretty good deal.

• Lewie Procter says:

Green Man Gaming’s client is awful, but the King’s Bounty deal is from Get Games, not Green Man Gaming.

• Fede says:

Tyrian was released a freeware in 2004, according to wikipedia.

• Ziv says:

missed that M. too many G’s in site name nowadays…

30. mike says:

cool, thanks! good to know.

31. malkav11 says:

It’s really pretty criminal forcing MOO 3 into that bundle (and Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare isn’t exactly wonderful either). Unfortunately, it’s cheaper with than without unless you only want a few of the bundled games.

32. DrGonzo says:

You can get a Supreme Commander 2 serial from Game.co.uk for £4.99.

This never seems to list the deals on Game.co.uk and sometimes they are excellent.

33. Vandelay says:

Fuck you Mr. Procter. You come in here with all your deals and make me spend money on games that I will probably never get round to playing due to all the other games you’ve made me buy. Yes, made me buy, with that gun you point at my head, as you laugh manically to yourself. I know what you are up to. Your scheme to make the whole world play games for a reasonable price, as you position yourself into a place of power. Well, I just won’t take this any more.

Or in other words, thank you for pointing me in the direction of a nice cheap way to buy all the King’s Bounty games.

34. Mobius says:

Demigod is also on sale on Impulse for €4.30/£3.75/$5.99:
    link to impulsedriven.com

• DrGonzo says:

Absolute bargain at that price. Or it would be if there was much of a community left. There are still people playing, but unless your fluent at DOTA I wouldn’t bother.

• Lewie Procter says:

Yeah, I didn’t include it because A) I forgot, but also B) I was under the impression that the community is completely dead for it, and it’s a multiplayer only game.

35. Dexemplu says:

Check Steam again, they’ve added CoD:MW2 weekend deals.

36. Unaco says:

Steam also appear to be having a ‘sale’ on the X series ‘SuperBox’. It has X: Beyond the Frontier, X: Tension (expansion for X1), X2: The Threat, X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict… Individual price = £42, Package price = £40, launch deal = £36. Which isn’t terrifically impressive to me. I’ve played some of all of the main games, not all the way through any of them, but a few weeks invested in each… and I always thought each new iteration was a vast improvement over the previous games… So, no real need to own them all, when the latest is going to be the best. And, they have X3: The Reunion for £10 or Terran Conflict for £20.

Saying that though, they are genuinely impressive, absorbing games… if it’s your thing, and you have the time and gumption to invest and prevail in them.

• Dominic White says:

The package is worthless. The X series have been all iterative upgrades. X3: Terran Conflict effectively contains everything the previous games did, and more. Only thing missing is the stories, and the series is notorious for having crappy plots that you just skip anyway.

• Unaco says:

I never picked up Terran Conflict… How did it slot in? Was it the X3: The Reunion map with the Terran/Earth systems that were opened at the end, and a new story? Was it much of a new game, any new mechanics or ship types? As I said above… I agree the bundling is kind of pointless, unless you really want to get the whole story, which isn’t that impressive in my humble opinion. I guess the only question would be, if you did want to play the game, would it be better to get Terran Conflict for £20, or would The Reunion be everything you’d need for half the price at £10?

• Dominic White says:

Terran Conflict begins a bit after the plot of X3 regular, but it also works in almost all the content from the fan-made (and officially absorbed) XTended mod, meaning that all the races have roughly the same number of ships in every class – even the Pirate factions have a whole mess o’ craft to play with.

There’s a new UI, a new mission system (you can actually get jobs as a fighter pilot very easily), and generally everything feels polished and filled out. Its’ X3.5, basically

• DrGonzo says:

I really enjoyed the first X. Then they just got too overwhelming for me. I want a new Privateer basically. Something open ended, with a story that’s not too hardcore and quite action-y. But not Freelancer style, I don’t necessarily mind mouse controlled space ships, but I don’t like how space works. There is no up in space and planets should be far bigger.

Cooper says:

Isn’t the correct past tense “Wot I Thunked”?

38. Dean says:

Lewie.

Got the sneaking feeling that you’re forgiving GoG for one reason and one reason alone.

With the new website, you don’t have to tell people the discount comes off at the checkout.

Over and over again.

39. DeepSleeper says:

Does anyone else look at the picture above this article and think “Why would anyone play ‘Car Wot Goes Farte’?”

40. Chobes says:

I’ve got a bad case of cod blops.

41. adonf says:

Did you convert the prices on GOG from US$ to GP£ and euros yourself ? For me it’s all in dollars and I can’t find an option to change the currency

42. sinister agent says:

I too can vouch for the excellence of both Outcast and Master of Magic – and of getting both from GOG, as they’re a sod to get running otherwise. The former is a free-spirited adventure full of life and excitement, where you have far more freedom than you’d expect from a game of that time and with that much voice acting.

The latter is a brilliant variant of Civilisation where you research spells instead of technology, and battles are conducted in little turn based skirmishes. It’s far more fun than its fairly generic fantasy setting suggests, and you don’t need to have a Master’s in Nerd Studies to be good at it.

Both are easily worth three times that price.

43. Lewie Procter says:

Warning:

Outcast looks really cool, but gave me an awful headache in just a few minutes.

Is there a resolution hack to get it at 1920×1080?

44. TheOx says:

There really should be an Internet law of some sort that whenever the MoO series gets mentioned, MoO3 will be dismissed as shit shortly thereafter. I’m curious as to whether the people doing the criticizing have actually PLAYED the game (fully patched, of course and modded, if desired) or are following the train of thought that since it was shit when it came out, it will forever be an irredeemable piece of shit.

Granted, I only started playing the MoO series in the past few years, so I wasn’t an established fan that was utterly disappointed by the completely different approach the series took with 3, not to mention the fact that, by all reports, the game was a broken mess when it came out.

Nevertheless, I think people really should give it a chance, as while it’s not a perfect game it does have a lot going for it and, really, prior to Distant Worlds’ release, was the only 4X game (that I can think of anyway, feel free to correct me) that focused on macromanagement and gave you the feeling of truly ruling an intergalactic empire, with hundreds of planets, billions of citizens, fleets in the thousands, etc. Yeah, I can see why people complain about it being a “spreadsheet game”, but I mean, seriously, if was the ruler of some intergalactic empire, I wouldn’t be managing every little citizen (like in MoO2), I’d be setting general policies which my underlings would administer for me.

The game has flaws, certainly, but fully patched (and with one of the various flavors of mods out there if you so desire) I find it to be a unique 4X experience and a very good game, ultimately. Still, I will concede that if you don’t like the macromanagement focus of the game, there really isn’t anything else there for you.

Anyway, for the “old-school” MoOs, 1 is undoubtedly the best, sheer 4X perfection without any of the fat that MoO2 had. 2 is certainly a great game, but I personally find it to be the worst in the series (not that it makes it a bad game, mind you), they made it Civ in space basically, and in the process the game lost a good portion of what made the first so awesome. Not to mention the tedium of the micromanagement of larger empires, compared to the elegant slider system in MoO1. The ability to create your own races was cool, albeit tremendously easy to break and hurting game balance pretty bad.

• sinister agent says:

Thank you several times for posting this. I was tempted to buy the third one almost because it had about 200 frothing fanboys on gog slating it solely for being different to the first two, but wasn’t sure. I think I’ll give it a go now – if it’s a good game, that’s fine by me, even if it’s got its flaws.

• sinister agent says:

Dunno if you’ll ever read this, but just wanted to say thanks for convincing me on Moo3. It is, as you said, a rather enjoyable game, with an unusual macro-focus that’s a nice change of pace from painstakingly re-configuring every single city/planet every turn, as with most other 4x games.

45. Fiend says:

Thank you so much for the xbox360 profile. I have been wanting to play this even resorting to piracy, so it is nice to be able to buy it.

BUT! I cannot stand inverted y-axis. Can you help me modify the profile for those of us who do not fly planes? Thanks!

46. Natus says:

Impulse has Divinity 2: Ego Draconis for $15 and Sacred 2 for $10. Are either of these good at this price? Why or why not?

Thanks!

• mlaskus says:

Divinity 2 has some really neat ideas but they are all implemented horribly, the story is atrocious and the gameplay is a never ending grind. I would never recommend it to anyone.

• John Peat says:

Sacred 2 is a passable Diablo-a-like, I just think it works better on a console/with a pad as it seems to have been designed with that in-mind…

If you liked Diablo/Titan Quest – you’ll like Sacred 2, basically…

47. Buemba says:

Bejeweled 2 is free today only:

link to popcap.com

48. TheOx says:

For those of you considering giving MoO3 a chance, definitely read the manual and/or an online FAQ/tutorial, the game is pretty complex and the in-game help system is pretty poor. Some other things to keep in mind, some of which illustrate some flaws in the game:

1) For your first game, don’t pick a galaxy too big if you plan on actually finishing the game, as the huge galaxies generated in this game are legitimately big.
    2) Espionage is ridiculously powerful in this game. You can be pretty nice to your population early on, but as the game progresses, be prepared to oppress the hell out of them to protect yourself from spies.
    3) Remember that you need to upgrade your ship designs manually as you discover new technologies. This is one of the big flaws (more of an annoyance, really) of the game.
    4) Use auto-resolve for battles. The RTS engine used for battles in space in this game is generally viewed as pretty terrible. Sorry, none of the glorious turn-based tactical combat from MoO1/2 here.