EVE: Queue-Skipping Edition

space, the final space

You! You there! You snivelling little workshy reprobate. You sicken me. I can’t even look at you. So I’m going to type at you with my eyes closed instead. I bet you’d really like to play EVE Onlne without havng to do too much of that tiresome levellung up business first, wouldn’t ou? I bet you’d love to shorutcut by paying money so someone else does that hard work for you, or it just happens aoutmostically.

Hey, that was pretty good. I really can type blind! And probably more accurately than with my eyes open, if I’m honest. So, yes: EVE: Commissioned Officer Edition is a retail re-release of the undying spaceship MMO, which grants you mega-levelling perks for the first 30 days of play. Good idea, bad idea?

For a game this old, regardless of how fresh it’s been kept by expansions, I’d say it’s a good idea all-told. The barriers to entry if you want to make what feels like a meaningful contribution are pretty steep. There’s a learning curve, there are seething Corp wars, and most of all there is time. If this version gets new players into the meat of the game that much more quickly, it’s probably good for them and good for them. Less for the people who buy an account online and don’t get the perk, of course.

It’s American only for now, and again retail only. Here’s new RPS staff member Ian McExplain-o-tron with a press release-derived explanation of what COE version of EVE involves. Take it away, Ian:

This latest boxed edition will include an exclusive in-game item, the Cerebral Accelerator, which is a military-grade implant that significantly increases a new pilot’s skill development. While they are a very strong boost to nearly all abilities, these bonuses are temporary and are only effective for the first 30 days of a pilot’s life as they get up to speed in the universe.

The Commissioned Officer Edition also includes a CD key for starting a new account, 30 days paid game subscription time and an EVE poster with helpful hints and tips for getting started on the reverse side. This edition can be used to start a new account or to convert a free trial or buddy program trial account into a full account with the access and benefits afforded to all EVE subscribers. The Cerebral Accelerator will be delivered to the first character created on the account and cannot be acquired through any other source.

“The Commissioned Officers Edition is the best way for a new player to get a running start in the highly competitive environment of EVE Online,” says Sr. Producer Arnar Gylfason.

Thanks, Ian. Now here’s Helen with the weather.

1. Jim Rossignol says:

Implants already accelerate learning, so I guess this is a temporary, but presumably not lost in pod-death, mega implant. I’d like to see the actual rate of increase in learning before I judge.

• Poindexter says:

And here I was about to make a comment about Jim not writing the story about EVE…

• Armyofnone says:

You should have known better, pointdexter. YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN!

• Collic says:

I don’t really see a problem with this, if anything it will just mean more people will stick out the game to the point at which it starts to get interesting. You can never catch up with the old players in Eve. That said, it seems a little unfair for it to only be offered to a certain subset of retail purchasers.

• teo says:

I think the stats on SiSi are +3 to all attributes or something like that, +20% turret dmg and 20% launcher RoF

• jsdn says:

+3 to all attributes for 30 days is actually rather unimpressive. I’d imagine that you could use whatever real money you happen to spend on this special retail version to instead buy ISK to get better and permanent implants.

2. solipsistnation says:

I think it says something about the state of the game, and how rough it is on new players, that they feel they need to offer this.

• Kelron says:

They are constantly looking at options to make things easier on new players. I don’t really have a problem with this.

• TotalBiscuit says:

How rough the game is in general is half of the attraction. Handholding is at a minimum, it is a unique universe.

That said they have no doubt noticed their trial retention rates suck and are making changes to enhance the new player experience, much as Blizzard is doing.

• Stromko says:

I think it’s a reasonable response to how the game functions. I played EVE pretty seriously for about a month and a half, and realized it would take another 6 months for my participation to actually matter. It takes months just to be a decent frigate pilot, let alone the big ships.

3. nuh uh no way says:

god, i wish fucking EVERYTHING happened aoutmostically

4. Kevin says:

I know that the steep learning time curve killed my recent attempt to get into EVE. Which is otherwise gorgeous.

• minipixel says:

same here when i tried last year.
      i wanted to be part of big space battles, but before that.. i have to farm bullets!? no thanks :p

5. Simon says:

With a steep learning curve like EVE, I feel this is a waste.. The player will spend the first week(s) learning the game and the super-leveler-upper perk wont be much use then.

6. Eamo says:

The skill learning system is one of the things I least like about EVE (though the skill trees themselves are quite good). I understand that making some sort of experience points in a world where you want trader, crafter, corporate exec and various other non-combat roles to be viable is kinda difficult but tying skill ups to nothing other than the real world clock seems odd.

I cancelled my EVE account when it reached the point that the only times I would log in was once or twice a week to queue the learning of a new skill. Seemed rather pointless to go on when you are paying a subscription just to keep advancing in a game you actually are no longer playing in any real sense of the term.

7. Choca says:

The first hours of eVe wouldn’t be so hard on new people if they finally understood that being able to use something doesn’t mean you should be using it. Building an effective frigate template isn’t that long, doesn’t cost that much and can be effective for quite a while before you need to switch to bigger and better things.

The starter corporation chats are very friendly (with a few dumb troll there and there) and I’ve never seen another MMO where you could always expect an intelligent and precise answer to any question you might have.

It’s not a game for everybody, that’s for sure, but it’s really not as hard to get into as it used to be a few years back.

• po says:

Having 2 accounts running at the same time I found the Minmatar starter corp to be great and full of helpful people (DeMichael Crimson being a great example), while Caldari wasn’t much different from WoW trade chat most of the time.

8. Nimloth says:

RPS Holdings members scoff at steep learning curve. I feel slightly cheated by this sort of new-player special-offer thing, considering it wasn’t around when I started playing. But it’ll be nice to see some fresh new faces in New Eden.

A word of advice, to those who are new to the game: you should not try to figure out this game on your own. It will take too long, you will make many mistakes, and you will get frustrated. Find a corp with cool people who know how to play this game (see: RPS Holdings), and ask lots of questions. Good luck. Fly safe. o/

– Nim

9. dave says:

What is this i dont even? The shitstorm is going to be INCREDIBAD! When i were a lad its was less than 800k SP and off you go, sort it out yourself.

I agree that its a nice idea, after all RPSH was created with the goal of getting new players into Eve but this is going to be a clusterfuck of epic proportions and sort of breaks an unwritten unsaid covenant between CCP and all of the ancient players. The initial SP boost instead of skills chosen at character creation was fair enough and lets face it nowdays a lot of cretins state that the first thing you need to do is train learning skills (DO NOT TRAIN FUCKING LEARNING SKILLS IF YOU ARE NEW TO EVE, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT) but a mega month long training boost is going to equal emo rage unheard of since the Raven or nano nerfs.

Or not as the case may be. As the official best player of Eve ever, my opinion is that i cant hurt the game to get the newer players into decent ships quicker as long as they can use the fuckers or provide hilarious killmails.

10. Quinnbeast says:

I think I may have renewed my Eve sub for the last time. Anybody want a Dread pilot? =)

11. dave says:

It cant hurt the game IT!

12. wcanyon says:

How many RPS players play on west coast (Pacific) time? I consider getting back into Eve from time to time however I left the game because it seemed to be full of tools/db’s (my corp was part of goonswarm, which is like 4chan in space). Perhaps RPSH people are nicer? Anyone care to comment on that?

• Michael Edwards says:

I like to think we’re an alright bunch of folks, but sometimes I get called a space fag on a roam and it hurts my feelings because I think I am a perfectly adequate planet fag and don’t like all these labels.

Seriously, there’s some foul language from the lousy british but otherwise its a good bunch.

13. dave says:

Quinnbeast yes, yes i do

14. Kelduum Revaan says:

We see a LOT of new players in Eve University, and some of the worst stuff tends to be from the ones who ‘bought’ their way into EVE, typically by purchasing characters… for most of these newbies, this will not end well (see capital ships with civilian modules, and triple-tanked battleships).

Experience in EVE is something you learn yourself – that’s the big difference, and this is probably going to lead to some more epic killmails, so it’ll be funny at least.

15. Him says:

Quinnbeast; I will happily have your stuff.
    I might even renew my account after a few years out just to asset strip you ;)
    The sad thing about this implant is that it’ll be given to a new player who won’t have the knowledge to make the best of it. Then they’ll get themselves a Raven, fit it with mining lasers and heavy missile launchers, and go mining in a 0.4 before losing their ship and ragequitting.
    PS – When I were a lad it were a few thousand SP and off you go. You’ve no idea how easily you’ve got it, not having to scrimp and save for your first Merlin, dreaming about buying a Moa.

• andy says:

haha – i remember being practically shellshocked losing an ishtar, before that freaking out when i had to abandon my vexor cause of a corp / alliance dispute that meant we lost access to our 0.0 system… before that being heartbroken losing a tristan in a mission… and before all that i was mining rocks in a navitas.

Now I fly Orcas, Freighters, Hulks, Guardians and Paladins at lvl5 skills! :)
      It takes fuckin ages to get to that stage, but by god, you appreciate the view when you get there.

I dont have amassive problem with the approach of giving new players a SP boost in their first month as ithelps them progress a bit faster and get into those cool top tier frigates sooner and have some more fun, or for people getting an alt, do those hideous learning skills a bit quicker… hell, the game already has a 100% trainig time bonus on the first however many SPs.

A month should be plenty to get a feel for if you want to play the game or not.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Him: To look at it from another point of view.. when I played Eve, being a new player to it, I took all the starting bits in stride.

What I mean to say is: new players don’t know it used to be worse. They don’t exactly know what types of ships are decent to use in the beginning. When you do all the tutorial missions you end up with several starter frigates, two more combat related ones and a cargo freighter. That, combined with plenty of starting skills and basic equippable items (shield boosters and the like).

Sure it’s quite a bunch, but it’s all relative. If you don’t know what you can feasibly do with the stuff you have and how easy/hard it is to get better stuff.. and that, they never mention. But sure, other players might.

16. zergl says:

Jim, iirc this is the implant (which is actually technically a booster going by item category) with its current stats on Sisi:

link to games.chruker.dk

17. Peter says:

They should just remove the learning skills. Having to spend days training something that will not benefit you until you have been playing for years is one of the worst parts of being an eve beginner, since not only do those skills seem to take a very long duration of time to level, they also feel mandatory and you have to train them at a point when you need many many other skills urgently as well.

• Michael Edwards says:

I wouldn’t have initially thought about this as a problem, but you’re totally right. Basically for anyone getting into the game serious-like you plug in your time to the Learning skills. It’s not really optional if you know anything about what you’re aiming for skill-wise. Basically it just makes a divider between the guys who know enough to read a shit ton before playing this game and the poor guys who just want to play. There’s will be elitists who want to enforce this division, but Eve can only get more interesting with more population so its important to remove arbitrary barriers to progress.

18. Sid says:

Bonuses: +3 to all attributes; +20% Damage to Laser, Projectile and Hybrid weaponry; +20% Rate of Fire to Missile weaponry.

I have this terrible feeling that this might be the start of EVE adopting a f2p-style model. They’re also talking about allowing you to trade Plex for remaps (which equates to paying ISK or RLbucks for faster training than you otherwise would have got, if you bother to make a long term skill plan)

I’m not convinced this is a good thing.

19. Vanger says:

You’re lucky.

Back in my days it was 90k SP with most starting builds and about 300k in pone particular build that boasted 5 lvl Gunnery from start.

I guess, not only ISK suffers from inflation, but SPs suffer too.

20. Snall says:

Only reason I didn’t get into EVE was it’s stupid defense against power leveling. I’m a power gamer damnit, to hell with your time frames!! I guess it’s good for most ppl…which sucks for me…

• mandrill says:

If they had a similar system to other games you’d be powerlevelling forever, simply because of the sheer variety of skills available.

21. Batolemaeus says:

Why the hell are they trying to boost box sales when this is a bonus every new player could use? For a box sale this bonus won’t really matter in actually selling the damn thing while online acquisition would profit much more.

I don’t get this move. At all.

• Aganazer says:

My guess is that they make more money on box sales so are offering it in a box first but will eventually make it a standard item.

22. Aganazer says:

I don’t really understand all these comments about EVE being so hard on new pilots trying to learn the game. I just started a few months ago and was almost disappointed at how easy it was. Maybe I was expecting something really difficult, but after the 20+ hours of in game tutorials I had a pretty good grasp of how the game works. The Sister of Eve epic arc they send you on immediately after the tutorial paid for all the expensive learning books I needed.

Maybe its difficult compared to a game like WoW, but anyone with a modicum of google search skills and a couple hours spent reading guides can get up to speed with no problem.

• RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

• FunkyBadger says:

Creadnought: how long did it take you to learn chess?

• Skurmedel says:

It certainly didn’t take me hours of guides to play chess… unless you are talking about some kind of four dimensional chess.

You need to learn the moves you can make with each type and off you go. It’s not like you need to read a guide so you’ll know what to do in the future. Which I think it’s a bit with EvE. Mind, it was ages since I played it. Like the beta, then a trial after a couple of years.

• Steve says:

Pretty much thought the same when I started.

Though to be honest I’d done a reasonable bit of reading first and when i finally embraced the horror was quite entertained to realise that it was a lot easier in comparison to something along the lines of X2.

• Aganazer says:

“@Aganazer If a game requires me to first read guides for a couple of hours before I can have fun, it is not a game I will pick up to have fun.”

@Dreadnaught: This may be shocking and might very well rock your worldview, but some people read for pleasure. Mostly this is in the form of novels, but may even extend to guides, blogs, and forums. I, for one, consider reading and research to be both fun AND interesting.

• FunkyBadger says:

@Skurmdel: how long did it take to derive the Sicillian from first principles?

23. schmunkel98 says:

Why have they not fixed the simple things(like the interface) to be more friendly to new players? The amount of depth is great, however, they do a piss poor job of getting you set up at the start. A fine example of this is the auto-target back option that is enabled.

• mandrill says:

You speak as one who has no clue.

There are no simple things in EVE, from a coding point of view. It is a huge piece of software where everything that changes has a knock-on effect on a wide variety of things.

Look at the Tyrannis 1.1 patch release for example. They tried to throw in a few ‘simple’ UI fixes and it completely broke the UI.

So unless you’re a master coder who thinks in machine code and can get computers to dance a jig to your merry tune. shut up. You’re just exposing your ignorance.

24. Spork says:

So this is basically a set of +3s that last for a month? I wouldn’t really call that ‘mega levelling’, I was worried it’d be much faster. As it is this seems a bit superfluous given the existing 100% starting bonus, hardly game changing.

I’ve got a friend who’s thinking of joining and he’ll get much further if he does the frakking tutorials and reads some good guides, rather than train a bunch of skills before he knows what he wants to do.

OT I’m playing around with the new charactor creator, looks a nice change from my current (rather rubbish) portrait.

25. Wilson says:

I tried Eve ages ago (in a free trial), and didn’t have a clue what I was doing. I don’t think there were any tutorials in game, and I hadn’t gone to find any other guides. So I couldn’t figure much out and gave up. The game kind of appeals to me, but sounds too hardcore. I don’t want to spend loads of time on a game to reap the rewards (not when I’m paying for the time anyway).

26. airtekh says:

I played Eve for a few weeks at the start of the year, and I found that the tutorials offered in-game were sufficient enough to get a grounding for the fundamentals of the game.

The official wiki could do with a bit of work, but it was decent enough. Any other questions I had were helpfully answered by the (mostly) nice people in the Rookie chat channel (although there was so many people in there that half the time your question just disappeared up the screen in a flash of text).

I can only imagine what it must have been like when it launched, but it seems to have maintained a reputation of being difficult for newbies. I certainly didn’t have any major problems during my spell in Eden.

• po says:

My only problem is, having made a Caldari and a Minmatar (to do missions together. 2 accounts), that I can’t actually get missions at the level my Minmatar pilot’s ship is capable of, because her race counts against her so strongly in Caldari Space (while having awesome rep with all my mission givers), and if I do farm Caldari rep to get access L3/4 missions, I could end up unable to fly freely through my own faction’s space at all, because it hits the other standings so badly, which would pretty much keep me out of some corporations.

And I thought WoW with Alliance/Horde split was bad when people want to play together.

• H4ppy says:

@Po

You can just skip faction-heavy missions.

link to eve-survival.org

Best EVE site ever. Ever.

27. Bassism says:

If it’s simply a set of +3 implants and 20% damage bonus for a month, it’s not going to make much of a difference. As mentioned, the 100% training bonus far overshadows what a set of +3s can do. That said, there’s going to be a shitstorm over this, especially with the recent plex for remap thing.

Personally I don’t really care. SP mean very, very little in the game. As Kelduum says, the important kind of skill in Eve comes from outside of the game, so even if newbies are able to quickly gain lots of SP, they’re just going to present new opportunities for experienced players to laugh at them and take their stuff.

To anybody who worries about the game being too hard to grasp, or boring once you finish the tutorials, go visit Eve University. Solid bunch of guys, and the only reason I kept with the game back when.

28. Duckslayer says:

We are lovely. We have our fair share of light banter and inter corp abuse but its all in good spirit, and certainly not of the level of goonswarm retardedness (beardface excluded). OK, you will be called a *non location specific* fag at regular occasions, and regular non ironic advances for manlove will occur, but its part of the highly homoerotic bonding process, and is key to corp morale

29. Duckslayer says:

in response to wcanyon*

30. Boris says:

Auotmostically needs to be a word. Someone contact the agencies involved.

• Bob Bobson says:

Scarily what journalists write is one of the agencies that count for this. RPS inventing words is the first step to officialness.

31. Temple to Tei says:

Looking around for a new MMO recently I was staggered to see one with an autobot as a fully integrated part of the program. Quite a good one as well: uses potions, runs you back to the same spot if you die while grinding.
    Then shocked to see another game with one.
    Then stunned to see another.
    I’ve run out of s-words but… but…. there is something wrong with that right?
    Here, play our game, we know we designed it really badly and made it a grindfest but we also designed a function that will do the grind for you.
    Why not just have no grind? (please note that I am saying this in a shouty voice)

Runescape introduced a lvl 1 spell today that is basically free magic xp just leave you character casting it.

If these bots are learning bots then I know another s-word: SKYNET

Another s-word

32. MadMatty says:

I think the initial setup was the worst- EVE- a technically mediocre game by any standards- i mean, David Braben had programmed iseamln ess planetary landings by himself in Elite 2 from way back in ´93 or (the game came on 2 floppy disks, around 3 MB´s worth.
    The thing that saved EVE for a period, for me, was the beutiful graphics, the music, and the excellent financial system.
    The big turnoff was, that you were basically paying for skillpoints, without skill or time invested having anything to do with it, and also people who would pay for extra characters, would turn huge profits ingame.
    So what you basically got at the top of the EVE ladder, are a bunch of people with more credit card credibility than actual skill.
    I was for instance abhorred by the skill of my fleet leader (im not naming the corp), hardly being able to give concise and understandable commands for a fairly sensitive operation in low-sec space.
    I did loads better myself (not that its that hard tho) with me and my friend in noob ships, 1/10th of the price, and requiring 1/10th of the skill points of what the “big guns” were using.
    And towards the end, i was, yes, just logging in every few days or so to setup new learning skills.
    It was basically like some bald dude in his 40´s driving past you on the street in his Ferrari, saying “look how good a driver i am!”.
    Nothx, and NOTHX!-
    I´m waiting for “Infinity Project: Quest for Earth” which should include all the features at launch, which EVE fans have been begging for, since it launched.

• Torgen says:

“credit card credibility ”
      I am so going to start using this.

33. malkav11 says:

I entirely fail to understand why anyone would get upset over new players getting a temporary boost that will almost certainly come nowhere near compensating for the months or years of additional skill point earnings that veteran players have accrued.

I know it will happen, but it is nonsensical.

34. po says:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with training learning skills from the start, so long as you’re doing it properly. I used Evemon to help plan my skill queue, saying what ship I wanted, and equipped with what equipment, and it told me what skills I needed to use and fit it all.

It also told me which learning skills I could learn before those, that would reduce the overall learning time, including the additional time for the learning skills. In the 6 months I’ve played, that isn’t such an insignificant amount that newcomers should just skip them, and it got me into some ships at least a couple of days quicker than if I’d ignored them.

I might get back to EVE after all the anticipation over WoW:Cataclysm has died down, but right now I’ve got a whole lot more invested in that (from multiboxing 5 accounts), and I’m more likely to stick with a game that has an interface that both gives me considerable responsive control of the game, and tells me everything I need to know when and where I want. I suspended my EVE accounts with lack of fixes and poor interface as reasons, but the minimal efforts on the interface since then haven’t impressed me.

Here’s an example of just one problem I’ve got:

I have a covops, and enjoy probing, but the probe interface has some major flaws that make it harder than it should be. There is perspective in the probe display, you can’t get a direct top down view of your group of probes, and it doesn’t like to rotate around them, but instead around the position of your ship or something else arbitrary. That makes quickly and accurately positioning the probes to find a target near impossible. Of course anyone who’s been playing for ages will say they don’t have problems, but their higher skills make the scan times shorter, and the stronger scan strength means you can lock on with much worse probe positioning.

The learning curve on any interface should be like riding a bicycle. You shouldn’t have to learn again after going away from it for a time, because it should become instinctive, but that is exactly what I feel is wrong in EVE. I am supposed to be interfaced with the ship by high tech methods, but the programmers have failed to live up to that, and the game interface actually creates separation from the ship that is supposed to be my in game avatar.

35. ALJA says:

you do know if you left click in space whilst scanning and drag down you can move it to top down view, and that if you right click you can freely move the camera around and rotate from whereever right?

• Spork says:

Also, click on the probe label/planet/signature to have the camera rotate round it.

• po says:

No you can not look top down. I work with 6 probes, and start with them all on top of each other, I drag the arrows on the top and bottom ones to position them above and below the other 4, so they are on on the same z-axis, and when I pull the camera as far as it will go it’s still slightly off to one side, and rotating from ‘top down’ still has movement around this column of probes. The camera is still off axis. Because of that and the perspective, when I try to move the other 4, what looks like a square is always off, because a camera centered on the top probe, looking ‘top down’ has the 4 probes sharing the same x/y plane at different distances from itself.

Also I’d think that me clicking on those probes to position them would be sufficient to set them as the point of rotation, but I repeatedly find that the camera is rotating about some arbitrary point of empty space several AUs away, when the only things I have ever clicked in the scanning interface are probes. The fact that it doesn’t even highlight the rotation point in any way is an excellent example of how bad the interface is.

I am not some noob who doesn’t have a clue how to use the interface, I’ve read and watched enough tutorials that I could follow a kestrel in the scan interface as it entered at a gate, then jumped into deadspace (where I got a 100% lock), while having the skills to fly nothing more sophisticated than a heron.

• Spork says:

As far as I can see (and I’m looking at it right now) the view is as close to vertical as you need. I’m way too fussy when it comes to placing probes but if you go by the range overlaps and graduations on the spheres you can get a perfect alignment.

I agree about the lack of visible rotation point not being ideal, but if the view changed each time you move a probe it would be very difficult to move them across the system. This way you can centre the anomaly and drag probes towards it.

I suppose I’ve just got used to it, and I haven’t played WoW etc to compare, but I just can’t understand why everyone hates the interface (apart from the new bugs to links etc from the new patch). Yes scanning is time-consuming, but it’s supposed to be, otherwise exploration would lose its reward.

Anyway, I’m off to rescan the 22 sigs in my wh. I may be some time.

36. Nallen says:

@mandrill
    Way to be a total jerk. Rather than raging about how ‘stupid’ you think that comment is why not accept that yes, ‘fixing’ the UI might be hard but it still can be changed and improved and should be. Look at how nuts everyone went just because they announced you could sort mail. No one that plays wants fancy new things, they want hard work put in to systems that have been sub-par long term.

37. foop says:

Back when I played, I had my arse handed to me on a plate numerous times by experienced players flying as low skill point characters. Accelerated learning for a month isn’t that great an advantage; if it gets more people into the game before they give up in disgust, more power to CCP’s arm.

Have they vanquished the lag monster yet?

38. randomEvEPlayer says:

UI was and is always critical in EvE. It’s literally a burden of the past, and perfect Indicator that they had no good idea or knowledge how to divide betwean presentaion layer and rest of the client.

Since years players are demanding a complete redesign. It’s sad story.

39. Manley Pointer says:

So if it’s an implant, do new players lose the boost after you pod them? :D
    Second, if it’s a “booster,” can you put in more implants on top of this? (What slot does it go into?) Does it stack with the 100% leveling bonus? If you researched cybernetics first, and then put in some +4s, that could be pretty ugly. I don’t really know what they mean by booster, which makes me think of the performance boosting drugs you can pop (like Exile) that concord doesn’t like you carrying around.
    Third, holy shit, if you have a 20% bonus to turret damage and you spend your first 30 days training thermo, installing hardwiring, getting t2 autocannons or blasters, getting into a rifter or incursus (or even crosstraining frig skills to IV and getting in a dram or daredevil)…you would have a few days at the end of that 30 as a beast of a frigate. If you can indeed install implants in these bonused noob characters, some rich player could do some crazy stuff with one of these alts.

40. mpk says:

Iirc you only need Science III and Cybernetics I to fit +3 implants, which can be trained in less than a day and in this day and age the 50m ISK or so to buy a full rack of +3s is chump change when you can sell a GTC for at least half a bil. I wonder if the mega implant will stack?

Also coming soon: microtransactions

“Torfi Frans Olafsson: Yeah, we are looking at introducing virtual goods within the game, but we feel those things should be vanity items rather than those that give you a clear benefit over other players in-game. “

41. Plec says:

so I heard you were giving away dread pilots…