It’s Random Question Time, Again

I’ve got a random question for you, readers. I’d like you to leave your answers in the comments section below, if you would be so kind.

What games did you spend money on in October? Please list anything you might have bought, PC or console, budget or full price, DLC, subscription, or microtransaction.

Go!

1. Torqual says:

Hello Mr. Rossignol,

PC Games Civ5 Steam, Batman Arkham Asylum Steam, Fallout Las Vegas retail, Puzzle Quest 2 Steam i bought in Oktober.

Have a nice day

2. Erlend Grefsrud says:

I think the only thing I’ve bought is The Polynomial, and a copy of Grotesque Tactics for Wonderful Future Wife as I hate her and want her to suffer at the hand of filthy, cellar-dwelling Germans.

Yeah, that’s it. Slow month.

3. Maykael says:

So… this is quite the list actually now to think of it.

PC Games:

Left 4 Dead 2 (Steam promo)
    Dog Figther (damn you, Rossignol!)
    VVVVVV (damn you, RPS!)
    Planescape: Torment (damn you, Gillen!)
    Arcanum of Steamworks and Magik Obscura
    Psychonauts
    Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Gold Edition + Dark Crusade (damn you, Rab!)
    Titan Quest Gold (good non-diablo – i despise diablo – hack’n’slash for 2,5 euro – sold!)
    Various Empire: Total War DLC (Steam sale)

iPhone Games (don’t know exactly if this month, but i know it was recent):

Capcom Sale:
    Ace Attorney
    Resident Evil 4
    DarkVoid Zero

Board Games (damn you, Rab!!!!):

Castle Ravenloft
    Horus Heresy
    Monkey Lab

Most of these purchases, if not all of them were influenced by Rock Paper Shotgun. A whole lot of developers (indie or otherwise) owe you guys a lot.

• Maykael says:

Disregard the incoherent first statement. Sugar rush!

• Maykael says:

Forgot I subscribed to Dungeons and Dragons Online. I kinda like a lot that game.

• Sabin says:

It’s good. I just started playing it again this last week. I had done their Free to Play beta last year, and got distracted by other games when it went live. Spent some Turbine Points there this week, but no actual money yet (have a level 4 cleric on Khyber server at the moment)

• Maykael says:

I play on Argonnessen. If you want to play together just let me know.

4. Erlend Grefsrud says:

I think the only thing I’ve bought is The Polynomial (full price, £5.99), and a copy of Grotesque Tactics (£11.99) for Wonderful Future Wife as I hate her and want her to suffer at the hand of filthy, cellar-dwelling Germans. Both purchased on Steam.

Yeah, that’s it. Slow month. Will be picking up Vanquish for one of the console things scattered around the office gathering dust.

5. jarvoll says:

Men of War + Red Tide, Steam, discounted 75%
    Psychonauts, GOG, discounted 50%
    Outcast, GOG, discounted 50%

• jarvoll says:

I also bought HL2 Episodes 1 & 2 on Steam at full price, as gifts for a friend.

6. DPenn says:

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY (Steam sale)
    Puzzle Bots
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (GOG sale)

… Think that’s it. Fired up Puzzle Bots for five minutes after I bought it, but not really playing any of these three yet.

• DPenn says:

Ooh, forgot I picked up a nice boxed copy of Star Wars Tie Fighter: Collector’s CD-Rom on eBay.

7. MHaggag says:

Tales of Monkey Island Pack for $4.99.
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent for $19.99.

Both on Steam.

8. Krouv says:

I only bought three games from GoG for my birthday:
    Ground Control 1 + expansion
    Planescape Torment
    Master of Orion 1 + 2

I might get minecraft sometime, but who knows.

9. Andrew L. says:

Just having gotten a new PC for the first time in 5 years or so (actually an iMac, but Windows 7 on Boot Camp is there for gaming), I’ve been playing catchup:

Steam (all on sale):
    Left 4 Dead Bundle
    Men of War (thanks to RPS)
    Batman: AA GOTY (already played a borrowed copy on PS3, but on sale so what the heck)
    Dogfighter (again, thanks to RPS)

Telltale:
    Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 3
    Free DVDs (+S&H) for Tales of Monkey Island and all Sam & Max Season seasons (bought TOMI and S&M S2 last month)

After I took the plunge on Batman:AA GOTY, I also picked up an Xbox 360 wired controller for the PC thanks to a $20 off Amazon code from a previous pre-order.

Depending what the rest of the THQ Steam sales this week look like, I might pick up some subset of Dawn of War and/or Metro 2033 if they’re cheap enough.

• Andrew L. says:

And … crap. Thanks to today’s sale, I’m now the proud owner of Metro 2033.

10. Penn says:

Rock Band 3 with keyboard.
    A 54″ television and 7.1 surround sound to play it on.
    A new house to put all that into.
    Really, it’s all for the Rock Band. ;)

11. TheApologist says:

Dead rising 2 on Steam
    Ice Wind Dale on GOG

Yums

12. TariqOne says:

October?

Fallout: New Vegas (PC)
    NBA Live 2K11 (PC)
    Skate 3 (PS3)
    Enslaved (PS3)
    Lost Planet 2 (PS3)

I just broke down and bought a console after years of heartache with connectivity and coop with my constant online coop partner, so I’m stocking the library. Crappier graphics aside, there is sadly something clean and efficient about them, and the ease of connectivity and generally more reliable quality from a closed, networked system is just short of a revelation.

That said, I still vastly and counterintuitively prefer the depth and craft (in the art, not the tech) one can find in PC titles. I’m an RPG and RTS guy primarily and I just don’t see consoles ever being able to do those genres well. Also those controllers make my thumb hurt.

13. Perkelnik says:

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition
    See you next year!

14. Lucas says:

PC: Supreme Commander 2 DLC – $10, Dead Rising 2 – $25, Fallout New Vegas (retail) – $51
    Wii: Tatsunoko vs Capcom – $30
    DS: Lock’s Quest – $13, Super Scribblenauts – $30

15. Mercurial says:

In October;

Planescape Torment (GOG)
    Iwar 2 (GOG)
    Temple of Elemental Evil (GOG)
    Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack (Steam sale)
    Dogfighter (Steam)

• Mercurial says:

In reply to my own post;

I forgot I also bought Fallout GOTY physical copy.

What a pip!

Eric says:

Super Meat Boy (XBLA)
    Darksiders (PC)
    Diamond Dan (PC indie on Steam)
    Bioshock 2 (X360, already owned on PC but bought for <$10 solely so I can buy and play the Minerva's Den DLC)
    Kirby’s Epic Yarn (Wii)
    No More Heroes 2 (Wii, used)

That’s the lot so far. Fallout: New Vegas almost made the cut, but I think I’ll wait for the holiday sale. I’ve got enough to play.

17. JohnnyMaverik says:

Fallout: New Vegas

£25 from my local Blockbuster

18. SirKicksalot says:

PC (fewest buys in a month this year):
    Dogfighter
    Arcanum
    Icewind Dale

PS3:
    Street Fighter 4 CE
    Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
    Army of Two 1 and 2
    Resident Evil 5 Gold

19. omicron says:

Not much.
    Bought Patapon 2 ($10) and Bad Company 2 ($30) in Brick-and-Mortar….
    …and a lot of stuff via Goozex, with my old finished one-time-use games:
    * Stronghold Collection ($20 equivalent, 5 games)
    * Wheel of Time ($5 eq.)
    * CommandnConquer:TiberiumWars ($10 eq.)
    * A boxed, hopefully-like-new copy of Age of Empires ($10 eq.)

20. J9 says:

Steam:
    Rome: TW (and Alexander & Barbarian Invasion expansions)

&

Riot Games:
    $35 worth of ‘riot points’ to get a hero pack and some extra points for more heroes / skins. Not usually a fan of paying for what I can get for free but its a completely free game and I’ve certainly spent enough time playing recently to give them some cash for the work that’s gone into it.

21. Tenorek says:

Lets see, I bought a used copy of Lego Star Wars and then a brand new copy of Enslaved for Xbox 360 at the beginning of October. Then here toward the end of the month I bought Fable 3 for the Xbox 360, and, dear me, my only PC purchase was Red Faction: Guerrilla for $5 on the steam sale. Poor PC, He has been feeling awfully left out in October.

• Tenorek says:

Oy, how could I forget, I also bought Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale this month. I guess my PC got some attention after all.

22. Count Elmdor says:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Sid Meier’sCivilization V, and that ultra-cheap Tales of Monkey Island deal from Steam.

23. Frank says:

Steam: Left 4 Dead pack (~$10), Dogfighter ($1.50)

Also bought Baldur’s Gate and Civ 5 in the last couple weeks of Sept, but didn’t play Civ ’til Oct. Much more spending than usual.

24. alm says:

Dogfighter off steam, Kings Bounty, NWN, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment off GOG.com

and I bought Trivial Pursuit/Burnout Paradise double pack off of Amazon for my 360. :D

25. Nerd Rage says:

Not entirely sure how much of this was last month and what was strictly in October, but considering I didn’t buy anything since… March I guess, my recent binging includes: Minecraft, Delve Deeper, King’s Bounty Crossroads, Recettear, Starscape, Osmos, and on the free side I finally downloaded the Co8 mod pack for Temple of Elemental Evil, so I’ve been back into that recently.

26. kalidanthepalidan says:

Alpha Protocol – PC $12

Plus some stuff through Goozex but I guess that doesn’t count.

Though I did buy:
    Thunderstone + expansion
    The King in Yellow
    Warhammer: Invasion
    Space Hulk: Death Angel

Wrong kind of gaming though. :p

27. Frakka says:

World in Conflict
    Puzzle Bots
    Tidalis
    The second Ai War expansion
    Men of War when it was on sale

Also still playing Lotro occaisionally

I probably won’t be able to resist getting the Legendary edition of Blood Bowl as well

28. Evernight says:

Fallout New Vegas – $50
    L4D2 – $12? The Steam sale
    League of Legends – $20 so I can buy more skins – that makes a total of $40 I have spent on the game and have prolly 150 hours in it.

29. Kadayi says:

Only the 2 so far: –

MoH

Fallout New Vegas

30. Coal says:

Ufo: Extraterrestrials – £2

Really naff game by itself, becomes more playable with BMan’s mod, but still just isn’t as good as Xcom : /

31. treat says:

I got drunk and accidentally purchased a Direct Hit rocket launcher from the Mann co. store.

32. SpakAttack says:

On Amazon:
    Gran Turismo 5 preorder

35. zak canard says:

On PC:
    Fallout New Vegas
    Tales of Monkey Island
    Nearly £20 of keys from the TF2 Mann Co. store. Quite disappointed that so far all I seem to unlock is purple paint.

Minecraft isn’t on this list, it would’ve been on last months list

On lesser formats:
    Aura Aura Climber (DSiWare)
    I’ve also pre-ordered Ivy the Kiwi (DS), which should be arriving this weekend hopefully.

36. Toom says:

PC : Starcraft 2, Titan Quest (gift copy), Fallout New Vegas

360 : Castlevania: Lords of shadow, CastleVania HD DLC (temple level & music pack)

Board games: Castle Ravenloft, Betrayal at the house on hill

actually a cheap month for me!

• Toom says:

oh. money associations

PC : Starcraft 2 (44Bux, TOYS R US sale), Titan Quest (gifted copy- 5bux), Fallout New Vegas (50bux)

360 : Castlevania: Lords of Shadow(44bux, TOYS R US sale), CastleVania HD DLC (temple level-5bux & music pack-2bux)

Board games: Castle Ravenloft (far too much money), Betrayal at the house on hill (also, far too much money)

actually a cheap month for me!

37. gryffinp says:

Got Dragon Age, finally, for 30 bucks on steam, and bought 10 dollars worth of microtransaction points for league of legends.

38. PleasingFungus says:

October. October… hm.

I bought the Puppygames ridiculobargain pack – all their old stuff for $5 total. Nothing else, I think.

Haven’t been buying much recently.

(Tried to get in on the whole Civ 5 3-pound thing, but that didn’t pan out. Pity!)

• PleasingFungus says:

Oh, wait, microtransactions?

I actually ended up spending $5 on TF2 for a key and some paint.

Probably not going to do so again, but in this one case, the result was hilarious fury from the friend who traded me the crate, so… success!

39. egg says:

From Steam:
    – Tales of Monkey Island , because of that delicious sale
    – Batman: Akham Asylum GOATEE, because it was cheap as well
    – And I bought many TF2 items. 30 USD worth of awesomeness.

Also, I bought Minecraft.

40. TooNu says:

I bought ‘Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition’ and that is it. Should have asked this in September, I bought a few more things all the way back in September.

41. F4T C4T says:

Super Meat Boy – XBLA download, 800 ms points (whatever that is… I should really know by now. Also worth noting I already had the 800 points in there from a while back ).

Fallout: New Vegas \ Fallout 3: GOTY – PC, £34 together in the Savy Gamer deal.

I only got the Fallouts because of the deal as I’m currently going through Metro 2033 which I got during the last Steam sale. Takes me a while to get through things these days. Having said that I’m already 90% through the main game in Super Meat Boy and it is awesome (albeit hard).

42. Riaktion says:

Erm… PC & Console?

Fifa 11 (Xbox 360)
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (Xbox 360)
    Titan Quest Gold (PC)
    Dragon Age DLC – Witch Hunt (PC)
    R.U.S.E (PC)
    Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (DS)
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 DLC – Onslaught (Xbox 360)
    Costume Quest (Xbox 360)
    Fable 3 – Collectors Edition … however this is a gift (Xbox 360)

Wow listing them like that…. IN ONE MONTH. Ridiculous. Need to stop.

43. Isle says:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl, $25 used, will be returning because it won’t boot.

…aaand that’s it. Instead, I’ve been playing the FREE games in IFComp 2010! I’m still hoping for a Super Meat Boy Wii release.

44. Paul P says:

A quiet month for me. I bought Fallout: NV through Steam, and I renewed my WoW subscription for another month and bought Lil’ KT from the Blizzard Store.

45. Fitz says:

Hmm, I bought more than I realised this month.

PC –
    Guild Wars: Eye of the North (on Steam)
    Temple of Elemental Evil (on GoG)

360 –
    Fallout New Vegas

XBLA –
    Lair of the Shadow Broker (DLC for Mass Effect 2)
    Costume Quest
    A few tracks for Rock Band

• Fitz says:

Then today I caved and ordered Rock Band 3, so October just got quite a bit more expensive.

46. Sup says:

– Outcast (GOG.com) (5.99$)
    – Beyond Good and Evil (Steam)
    – Vanquish (£33.19 )
    – Super Meat Boy (800 ms points ($10))
    – Death Spank: Thongs of virtue (1200-800 ms points, I don’t know anymore)
    – Mass Effect 2 Shadowbroker DLC (don’t remember)

47. Unaco says:

The King’s Bounty Platinum Edition when it was cheap on GetGames ~£11. Batman: Arkham Asylum GOATEE, cheap on Steam, ~£10. Both PC. I also bought a Wireless XBox 360 Controller for Windows @$40, which was a bit of a rip-off, but I’m going to try and appreciate it.

48. Jarmo says:

In October I bought the following games:

PC:
    Star Sentinel Tactics (Impulse)
    Supreme Commander 2
    Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition (preorder from Play.com)

PS3:
    Fallout – New Vegas
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (PSN)

49. Skeezy says:

Minecraft. Dogfighter. WoW subscription.

50. DethDonald says:

Red Dead Redemption $40 at BullMoose.