Shooter Tutor: FPS Trainer

One of the things about PC gaming is that while mouse keyboard controls for FPS games seem to come naturally to us natives (even though we all had to learn them at some point) plenty of people find them hellish. They run around, staring at the floor, not really understanding what is going on. Even once they get used to moving and looking around, they’re a long way from being competitive. It’s just practice of course, but few games bother to really tutor you. This is where FPS Trainer comes in. The site explains: “The objective of the game is for players to rapidly improve their FPS skills based on sound training principles, in order to become more competitive at any online multiplayer FPS, such as Quake Live, Halo and Call of Duty. Skills will be directly transferable from our game to other FPS’s.” No idea how good it is in reality, but I’ll be trying it out on the Lady Rossignol this evening, and see if I can’t get her to eschew her normal diet of Diablo clones for a bit of something shooty.

1. MrEvilGuy says:

i could pwn you all with my skills at mw2 i dont need no trainer

• mejobloggs says:

That’s…. sorta the point. People that haven’t played much fps or aren’t very good in theory can use this to help them so they don’t get stomped

• MrEvilGuy says:

• Monchberter says:

Oh grow up.

• Spandex says:

Obvious joke was obvious.

• Monchberter says:

More tiresome troll is tiresome.

• llama says:

Sense of humour fail is sense of humour fail.

• skinlo says:

Monchberter you fail.

• suibhne says:

All you need for ultimate pwnage in MW2 is host advantage.

• Monchberter says:

‘Reserves the right to be Angry Internet Man’ WIN

• Janxer says:

I have never understood people who have problem with PC FPSes. It came naturally to me the first time I tried one back with Duke Nukem 3D.
      In fact, the same can be said for my friends. The only ones that have any problems with it are the people who learned it on console first. In the meantime, most of my friends who started on PC have no problems playing console shooters.
      SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN, WHAT IS MY POINT?
      I don’t have a point. I just think it’s weird.

• DrGonzo says:

The only shooters I can get my girlfriend to play are the Half Life series. And she will only play with a mouse and keyboard as she hates controllers. That’s how I know she’s the one.

• Mo says:

My sister adored GTA 1 & 2, you know, the 2D ones. I remember getting her in front of GTA 3, and watching in horror. That’s when I realized 3D movement doesn’t come naturally to everyone. I think coordinating both hands is harder than we think… I’d notice my sister (and other novices) move, and then look, and then move, and so on. Further, if you really think about it, strafing makes little sense in the real world, and so I suspect it’s a bit difficult to get ones head around.

• mejobloggs says:

Sarcasm detector turned off :(

• P3RF3CT D3ATH says:

Owning people in MW2 is so redundant.

• tribal whore says:

In my small monkeysphere of people who actually play with kb/m there’s a lot who just got into it with modern warfare and are total rubbish in the classic pure fps games like the quakes and unreals. But those who’ve spent a few days with counterstrike are much better, even dangerous once you explain a little strafe jumping and timing the pickups.

2. UW says:

I’d be interested to see how well this works.

I know plenty of people who cannot abide the FPS control scheme on PCs.

3. MountainShouter says:

Oh, if only there were people to play against.

4. Forch says:

WHO THOUGHT USING UNITY FOR ANYTHING EVER WAS A GOOD IDEA

• Okami says:

A lot of people who have more clue about game development than you do? And whose CapsLock key isn’t broken?

• SpinalJack says:

You’ve probably played plenty of unity games without realising. A lot of big name companies like EA use unity all the time. It’s really just a tool and the quality of what you make is almost unrelated.

• Mal says:

He is trolling/being internet ironic. Obvs.

5. Zogtee says:

– It’s an FPS trainer, see and…
    – Oh, that sounds great!
    – Yeah, and it’s browser-based and….
    – NEXT!

• apsaps says:

Quake Live is browser based, and you’d get stomped if you tried it, so whats your point?

• Fitt3 says:

Ugh. Browser-based nonsense.

• Demon Beaver says:

RPS is browser based… I’d say it’s pretty good.

• Spacewalk says:

Captcha is more luck than skill based though.

• subedii says:

What’s wrong with browser based? Browser based FPS’s are really accomplished these days. Quake Live,. as others have already mentioned. Personally I was thoroughly impressed when I played the Interstellar Marines games in my browser. If you didn’t know it was a browser game you wouldn’t know the difference.

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

Browser game is a no-no for me too. Not because it’s in the browser, Quake Live is just fine by me, but because it’s on Unity that still has no Linux web client, which is made less excusable by the fact that they base large portions of their engine on other Open Source code :/ *annoyed*

• Dave says:

Spacewalk wins this round.

6. M.P. says:

Just thought I’d mention that Quake Live does actually have a detailed tutorial section teaching you both basic and advanced techniques.

• jon_hill987 says:

Indeed it does. I got my Mum to have a go at those when I last visited. The results were funny. She did do better than I expected against Crash though.

7. Devan says:

I don’t know about this. My opinion is that the main thing separating the good players from the dead ones in a multiplayer FPS is simply familiarity with the game:
    – Knowing the maps and their associated choke points, sniping spots, shooting lanes.
    – Knowing which weapons/gear to use and when to use them.
    – Gaining efficiency through familiarity with the reload times, run speed, jump properties, and other tricks and peculiarities of the game.

And the main things that separate the good players from the really good players are dexterity, reaction speed and intuition.

So this kind of training game might be helpful for people who need to learn the absolute basics, but beyond that I think they just need to keep practicing in their game of choice.

• Senethro says:

You’re forgetting a good hardware/software configuration. Not many good players using a wireless mouse, enhanced pointer precision in Windows and sensitivity so high they flip 10 times on an inch.

Dexterity, reaction speed and intuition also have learned as well as intrinsic components. You can get pretty far with muscle memory, anticipation and experience.

• UW says:

I think what you’re mentioning there is what separates the people who consistantly finish at the top of their scoreboards and people who are just quite good, rather than what separates people from being even marginally successful at the game and being repeatedly destroyed.

I feel there is a base level of proficiency with the controls which applies to almost all FPS games, and the better that basic skill is the quicker you will be able to adapt to them.

• Nethlem says:

You are forgetting sound and space motion imagination…
      Too many people don’t properly pay attention to the ingame sounds and because of this lack a real situational awarness.

Another thing is having the knowledge to anticipate where an enemy is at what point in the round and genrealy the ability to navigate 3D spaces which isn’t as easy as many people think. But that could be considered map knowldege..

But paying attention to games sounds to localize your enemies is like the most important thing in any game and i’m amazed that so many people don’t understand the concept. Can’t count the number of times i got called cheater because i killed somebody trough a wall/behind me because they ran trough the map as loud as possible.

• Reapy says:

I’d still say that raw aiming ability in an FPS is really the great leveler. It depends on the type of game, like a q3/halo game will probably be more about aiming then a 1 shot 1 kill style fps.

But really how often do you get to practice the same shot over and over again in an fps? I think if they set up different weapon types,( and hell if they could configure weapon sets to emulate popular games even better) and had common shot angles, like shooting elevated, or going down a corridore and spinning to shoot directly above you on a ledge, or practice ambushing around a corner while you wait and bots fly around the edges, doing that over and over could help.

In FPS games sometimes situations are frequent, but seldom back to back, so you hardly get to practice the same shot over and over again, instead it is sort of a random collection of incidents, it makes it hard to focus train.

Though still the thing that helped me the most with FPS games was finding rocket arena doing the rail gun duels. It was there i finally figured out that I needed to aim ‘near’ a guy then strafe the sites into them rather than just point and shoot. That’s payed off for me over the years in a multitude of games and has always stuck with me.

Anyway I could see if this is done well that just a few hours with it might be enough to make whatever magic thing click in a person’s head to help them get the cursor on target.

8. mbp says:

I`ve been playing fps games for years and I still suck. My typical online fps game involves of getting the drop on another player who only has a pistol while I have a shotgun and its a narrow corridor but they still manage to kill me. Perhaps I need to check this programme out.

• tribal whore says:

Maybe you were too far away from him down this long corridor for the shotgun to be effective. They’re only useful relatively close up. But a desert eagle headshot is instant death.

Also possible you just have very slow reaction time or just aren’t good at aiming. Maybe your mouse sensitivity is too high or too low. Maybe you need a larger yet lighter mouse? Maybe you need a normal sized mouse but a lot heavier and with super smooth mouse feet and a better mousepad.

I have my best quake live rounds with a $4 tiny portable mouse that I got to go with my old laptop, and using the back of a glossy calendar I got from my insurance company as a mouse pad. But due to the way I hold it and how much I move it around I can only stand to play that way for about 45 minutes. Then it’s back to the old logitech and mediocre scores.

9. yhancik says:

To survive a FPS you have to become FPS

10. subedii says:

I have to wonder whether the upcoming Diablo 3 is a source of glee or quiet dread.

11. pakoito says:

I can’t get past the Login or Host screen.

• pakoito says:

Ok, it worked. Tha game is still very alpha-y, assault rifles without recoil, sniper with no scope, non-bouncing rocket launcher, plus the software mouse is shit…

Might try in 6 months.

12. mandrill says:

No players, no games, no point.

Nice idea but they need to have their own servers and not rely on people starting their own. How many novice FPS players are going to to want to host a game? Also, being browser based means that non-internetty people are going to be paranoid about allowing others access to their computer, even if it is for a game.

As I said, nice idea but I’ll wait till its got a more solid implementation before rendering further judgement.

13. Deltus says:

Surely call of duty is just a cs clone with less recoil for noobs.

Debate. x

14. Brumisator says:

I just wonder if the makers of this thing are aware that nobody ever in the history of mankind, has played halo on PC.

I hate reading about these little fun things before they’re launched, becasue I’m not hyped enough to remember.

15. Novotny says:

I’d like to be able to use a controller in a fps but I’m completely hopeless with them; lost without a mouse.

• DrGonzo says:

You probably haven’t realised but you can use a controller. Everybody is the same, you look at the floor, look at some walls, spin around and get 3 headshots because of the auto aim. God I hate shooters on console, especially multiplayer ones. Tried to get into Halo Reach to play with my real life friends, but I can’t stand playing a game that aims for you. Crazy thing is they don’t even seem to be able to tell it’s doing it.

• Minicow says:

Yeah no.

16. xmido says:

I need an RTS trainer :(

17. Jimmy Jazz says:

Oddly, even though I’ve been playing FPS’ for, oh… 5 – 6 years I still somehow manage to suck at them.
    Hopefully this game will help.

Seriously I always lose horribly on everything multi-player. I still play it though.

• Dave says:

I’m the same way. Maybe we should play against each other, so at least one of us will feel good.

Seriously, I suck at TF2. My tactics are usually okayish unless I’m just saying “screw it, I’m setting that guy on fire even if it won’t kill him”. But aim? Uh-uh.

• Jimmy Jazz says:

Mmm, I don’t play TF2 much at all (mostly because you can get an unfair advantage by… wearing a hat that you bought with real money) but I do play BF2:BC2, Red orchestra, and the such.
      I also have the strategies down, most of my kills in any game are due to getting the drop on whoever I’m up against.

although, I’m not sure how we would find each other in a game, I’m not really willing to post my Steam or Email in the comments section of any website, lest the spammers & trolls find me.

18. Rond says:

I find mouse keyboard FPS controls easier than actually walking.

19. Pehry says:

I played through Halo on my PC. Can’t play an FPS with a controller at all. Captcha fail ate my first longer comment and I am the sad now.

• DrazharLn says:

Lazarus could have saved you! Look it up, plugin for chrome and firefox that saves all form entry data for easy recall.

20. Butler` says:

Or you could erm, well… Oh I dunno, I suppose you could play the actual game instead.

21. Ozymandias says:

I go to the link and it says “account suspended”

22. jonfitt says:

I’d guess it’s a matter of axes, and not the chopping kind.
    Us natives grew up with 2.5D shooters like Doom and Duke Nukem. There was a degree of verticality, but essentially you only had to move in a 2D plane. Forward, back, rotate left, rotate right, and strafe for the more advanced.

You could concentrate on mentally processing the 3D space and manoeuvring.

As an aside, Descent gifted me the ability to mentally process twisted 3D spaces with full 3D movement.

I remember what when the Quake1 MP beta came out it was quite difficult to maintain a steady forward view. For someone who can’t yet quickly process a first person view (it’s not totally intuitive to rely fully on visual queues without other physical feedback), it would be easy to get confused and frustrated.
    You could possibly aid learning initially, by reducing vertical sensitivity so that the player is more stable.

• tribal whore says:

that’s probably part of the reason why console fps players like it so much more than using a mouse.

Once you take your thumb off the 2nd analog stick your view is pretty much stuck in your preferred position, right at chest/head height of your opponents. You can find a flat patch of ground and run back and forth between alleyways and anyone who steps into view unprepared is most likely going to be hit hard when you fire. You basically never have to worry about an accidental slip of the wrist.

And I’ve been watching this vid of modern warfar: link to youtube.com
      While I admit this guy has skill, there’s something off about the shooting. Given the fact that I _can_ look around with a mouse I _will_ look all over the place because I enjoy it, and being a quake player I subconsciously expect attacks from above as much as ground level. But there’s almost no reason for this guy to ever look up (he looks down once). Just a little left and right and have a faster trigger finger.

23. Wooly says:

RPS broke the site… :(

24. Rane2k says:

Yeah, RPS killed their page:

“FPS Trainer has experienced such high demand that our host can’t handle it!
    We appreciate your patience and will be back as soon as possible…”

:-)

25. strfshtlr says:

This is much better than just playing a proper game. Wat.

26. Devenger says:

You’re not missing much. Sure, I loved the accent of the weapon pickup voice guy (some northern English edge, perhaps?), but this needs a whole lot of fixing, let alone polish. At this point, you may as well play Quake LIVE or something that’ll give you a clean and genuine experience. Will be interesting to see how this develops, though.

27. roberto says:

all of these comments suck

28. Automouse2 says:

we sell the best Auto-mouses & FPS mouse.
    also sell the best game-bots for mmorpg.
    check them out.