EA Announce The Fancy Pants Adventures

…will be arriving on Xbox Live and Playstation Network in 2011. They’re not publishing The Fancy Pants Adventures on PC because it’s already out on PC. It’s a free browser game. Not only that, it has more than 100 million plays.

How did The Fancy Pants Adventures escape us? I swivelled the RPS interrogation lamp in this game’s direction and had a play.

It’s kind of… fine. I’ve been playing Super Meat Boy recently, which raises the bar for superfast platformers like a strongman hoisting a barbell, and The Fancy Pants Adventures can’t really compete. It’s fine, and the animations are fun, but I suspect those 100 million plays come from its warmth and accessibility rather than anything resembling genius design.

Here’s a video of the PC version of The Fancy Pants Adventures:

And here’s an early trailer of the console version:

If you wouldn’t mind burning 15 minutes, you shouldn’t be put off by my grumpiness. For the price, there’s plenty of fun to be had here. Here’s that link again.

1. Kast says:

Fancy Pants Adventures? Wooooh! Not on PC? Awwwww…

Still, nice to know Brad’s getting some support and money for his work. I guess he and EA had a good relationship when he did Mirror’s Edge 2D for them.

• Tunips says:

Ah, I knew I’d seen that pants-man before. ME2D was really quite splendidly enjoyable. Moreso than the no-so-excellent bits of ME3D

• K says:

PANTS-MAN?! You’ve come again!
      Which is the top and which is the bottom? You’ll never know!

2. Brumisator says:

The game’s kind of cool, but it’s nothing special.

(on an unrelated basis, I installed CODBLOPS, got bored within 15 seconds of the main game, and am now playing zork in it, everything turned out okay)

3. piphil says:

I sent a heads-up about this to RPS a while back – probably got eaten by the email gremlins. :-P

There seems to be a fair amount of influence from old-school Sonic the Hedgehog titles – running round loops, hanging on hand-holds, rolling when at speed to kill enemies etc, but mixed with some of the wall-jumping mechanics of N and others of that ilk.

4. Bill says:

Don’t seem to be able to play it on that link, it’s just tons of adverts.

• Mistmanov says:

Also no game here. Adverts, twitter-counters, facebook plugins… all the “oh wow look at all that extra functionality our website has!” stuff is present, but the actual content isn’t there -_-

5. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I’m sorry, but this game just isn’t offensive enough for my tastes.

• Ted says:

If I told you the 3rd act is the guy having graphic sex with your mother, then would it be offensive enough for you?

6. Dastompinata says:

THIS IS NOT COMPUTER NEWS!!!!!!

Though good for the devs, its good to see a well done platformer gettin some respectz.

• Anonymousity says:

It is computer news, there’s a link for the free flash version of the game up there if you read all the words, those squiggly things.

7. radomaj says:

It’s brilliant. Very fluid.

8. Tei says:

This must be the dream of every Indie dev..

…buy a pair of fancy pants.

9. RagingLion says:

I remember playing this yeeears ago. Though I think it may have only had one world back then – there wasn’t any dialogue with any characters to my memory in that.

The animations are pretty stylish and was pretty impressive compared to everything else in online internet game land a few years back.

10. TWeaK says:

Is it just me or does it seem a bit like a Sonic ripoff? He can even roll up in a ball and everything..

11. The Innocent says:

I really enjoyed both worlds of Fancy Pants Adventuring. It was quite nice. Such a grumpy group.

Sad it isn’t out on pc, I’d gladly kick some cash this dev’s way, and from the video, there are plenty of new areas.

12. castle says:

Looks more like 10 million plays to me. Still, what? I had no idea free flash games were reaching those kinds of heights. Given that it’s hosted on the developers’ site, are those numbers actually legit?

• TheSporkWithin says:

It’s also on Kongregate and Newgrounds, and a bunch of other places. But Kongregate and Newgrounds are both huge, and it’s one of the more popular games on Kongregate.

13. Urthman says:

The first time I tried this, I was astonished that a flash game could be so smooth and tight (this was before games like Canabalt and VVVVVV, and I guess I’d forgotten N was done in Flash — this has a lot more animation in the main character, maybe that’s why I was more impressed by the smoothness). It really is a delight to run, jump, slide, and kick around (or head) the football nut. The graphics and sounds and writing are all quite charming as well.

I’m glad the developer is getting a chance to sell it to the console players.

14. Rane2k says:

Not bad, as others said before me, it has a rather Sonic-y feeling to the running and jumping, which is a good thing. He even has the spiky hair thing going! :-)

2 things I didn´t like:
    – Obnoxious sound when picking up the rings.. err, spiral-things
    – In the blue-ish world it was very unclear which surfaces you can jump/stand on, and which not, this made me close the tab. :-(

15. Wowza says:

Has world 3 came out yet?

16. SquareWheel says:

Oh man, I remember this game. Snail soccer. =D

17. TJF588 says:

Good damn, tried it on Kongregate not even two weeks ago (okay, maybe more; night shift royally wonks your perception of “days”), and it was so damn annoying, getting the shell to not go backwards from where you want it. By the time you’ve caught up with it, it’s either behind you and lands by the time you’ve run back, or you’re trying to run under it while it’s going backwards, but you still end up catching up to it once it’s landing. There’s just no winning with the thing: You either wait for it to get done effing up, or you pro-actively EFF IT UP MORE.

That, and I suck at games.

18. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Your average flash-based platformer.

• James says:

If by “average” you mean, “one of the best”? Yes, yes it is. N and Dino Run are the only other flash games I’ve found that really pull off physics-oriented platforming well.

19. RCGT says:

So, you have just now heard of Fancy Pants Adventures? And the commenteriat have the gall to call it average?

What in the name of melon-eating fuzzyheaded duck beaks is wrong with you people!?