Zombie Driver: Blood Race Released

A free update for Zombie Driver, Zombie Driver: Blood Race has been released, stitching a new fleshed-out racing mode to the existing Story and Slaughter modes.

I just went and dipped my toe into Zombie Driver’s gory waters for the first time and found myself having a fair bit of disposable fun. If you’re looking for something that’ll entertain you with an investment of little-to-no brainpower, ZD’s your boy, especially so because developers Exor Studios have substantially enlarged this game since it was first released and are having a 50% off sale this week. The latest trailer lurks beneath.

All that carnage for $5? For £3.49? That’s what we call bang for your buck.

1. Spatula says:

dang. i may have to get that.

2. AndrewC says:

Oooo! It’s like I get a free sequel! I like this.

I don’t think it’s what we would call a ‘keeper’, but I spent quite a long time perfecting the hand-break-turn-through-a-crowd-of-zombies-trick, which is this game’s l33t skill. I enjoyed it.

3. x25killa says:

Brought it from the xmas sale on Steam last year. Played it once and it was in a terrible state.
    Until this update has arrived and now, the game is rather excellent. I would recommend this to anyone who hates those lampposts in the GTA series and have an urge to run over zombies.

4. rocketman71 says:

Never tried it, but those shots scream for multiplayer support. Sadly, it isn’t there.

• Ricc says:

True. At least they are not promoting it as “New Mutliplayer Mode Added!” any more, like during the beginning of the week. It does track scores on leaderboards, though.

Zombie Driver was fun when it first came out, and it has aged like a fine wine.

• TheSquarePear says:

I believe this is the same guy/team that made a mod for HL2 (deathmatch with cars with weapons) just without the zombies.
      It was decent but unfortunately HL2’s vehicle model is a bit lacking.

5. Mac says:

Did they ever fix the camera? it’s the only game i have ever had motion sickness with

• Quintin Smith says:

They did, apparently.

• Tyraa Rane says:

@Mac

Speaking as someone who would get motion sick just from watching YouTube videos of the game–yes, they definitely have. I DL’d the demo the other day and gave it a whirl; no motion sickness at all. Turned it into a must-buy for me, finally.

6. Neuromante says:

I tried time ago, and, IMHO, problem with this game is story mode is always the same: Go to spot A, clear Spot A, rescue survivors, go to Spot B where side mission is, clear Spot B, get bonus.
    Repeat until end of game.

So I think the question is: Is this new racing mode worth it? The “30 tracks, 3 different modes” sounds quite good…

• Matt says:

Slaughter mode is the hot shit – think ‘Endurance’ or ‘Survival’ gametypes of other games.

Blood Race is still fun though.

7. Fumarole says:

I enjoyed Zombie Driver earlier this year. Like said above, it’s great fun for mindless Z killing action. I re-downloaded it last night because of this update but I have yet to play the new modes.

The engine used in this game is excellent; I hope more developers use it for future projects as it seems to have immense potential.

8. mlaskus says:

That’s a car with a gun! Incredible!

9. Chizu says:

I bought this when it originally came out, had some fun with it then forgot about it.
    But I have been noticing it updating repeatedly on various occasions.
    I should really give this another go now.

10. LordCiego says:

I bought this last Christmas and while fun it was a lacking something to make you stick.

But this new modes, oh man they are good. Blood Race its almost a championship carmagedon with upgradeable vehicles and Slaughter its just trying to survive wave after wave of zombies.

Totally recommended game even if it wasn’t on sale. It has a 60 on metacritic and i would even agree before but now its easily an 80 game (if you care about that :p).

11. Flameberge says:

Excellent. I originally got this when it first came out on sale, and was rather ‘meh’ towards it. Kudos to the devs for continuing to update it though, will have to get the update and give it another go.

12. Lucas says:

Carmageddon urge rising … SOLD.

13. Will Tomas says:

I bought it in the steam Christmas sale last year, for my netbook, which it was listed as supporting, but sadly it turned out not to work: it brings up an error message every time. :(

14. Navagon says:

So I suppose I’ll have to try and figure out how to pimp up my Gamersgate version. Last time I had to hunt around on the dev’s website.

15. Snords says:

I love the graphics. I’m a sucker for little tinytowns.

16. Little Tohya says:

It’s simple, it’s fun, and there’s quite a bit of content there for your money.

Not a bad purchase at all, well worth a look if you liked old-school GTA, overhead-view racers or just mowing down zombies.

17. patricij says:

Christan Audigier bikini $ 23

Oh BOY, I’m SOLD!!!!111111

18. Ak says:

Amazing game and cheap price!!! The best game to distract you after a day that your boss kept annoying you! I recomend.

19. Dark Archon says: