Eve Online: Incursion, A Trailer

The next Eve expansion, Incursion, is being deployed in three parts, starting November 30th. The titular incursions by cyborg slave horror pirates Sansha’s Nation feature in the latest trailer, which is good for the hyperbolic space biff.

The Incursion expansions feature tonnes of other changes, including more planetary interaction detail and lots of stuff for mission runners and trading types to get their teeth into. CCP also claim that this update will bring in some of the most extensive anti-lag tech they have so far developed. Interesting stuff. So, so tempting…

1. James says:

Poor Jim. It’s like forcing an alcoholic to work in a pub.

Cooper says:

I gave up on EVE whilst out of the country for 6 motnhs and have returned to SO MANY good games to play. I’m really itching to get back to EVE, but looking at my games list on Steam and I know the hours it will soak up will take me away from all that…

I just wish there was something like EVE that was really easy to just pick up and play. but I guess that’s the point, it wouldn’t be EVE then…

3. mandrill says:

DOOOO EEEET Jim, you know you want to. EVE has your soul and always will. Once you’ve played with her no other game is enough. :D

4. Nova says:

The guy should have winked as it said “to Dust”.

5. internisus says:

The most exciting bits are being held off until January. They are a robust- and impressive-looking character creation suite (to prepare for Incarna, AKA Walking in Stations) and the Sansha Incursion aspect itself, which sounds to be a massive, cooperative, cross-system ongoing PvE campaign with tiered rewards based upon participation toward specific long-term objectives. It could prove mighty interesting! There are lots of videos on YouTube of people trying out the character customization tools, so have a look if you like that sort of thing.

• Perjoss says:

There was a news thingy on Kotaku showing off a reeeeeally impressive video of the new character creation process. I still remember being blown away by the original character creator back in beta and this new version of it is just as impressive.

I can’t play eve though, too boring as a carebear and too scared to venture forth into dangerous areas.

• Sardaukar says:

Do what I do: Join a Faction Warfare militia and do the FW missions. It plays right into carebear tendencies, as you’re going to be doing everything you can to avoid other players, while killing NPC’s as quickly as possible. The mission rewards are tremendous compared to high-sec missions (you can, with one or two social skills around IV, afford a Navy Issue battleship every twelve missions, each of which can be done in five to ten minutes).

Or as others have mentioned, shop around for a wormhole corporation. I recommend Capital Construction and Research. You’ll be very safe in their company and fighting Sleepers is pretty thrilling, I hear.

6. President Weasel says:

I hemmed and hawed about the “5 days free, cheap resub after” offer recently until deciding to take it up mere hours after it had closed. Probably for the best, really.

• Quinnbeast says:

I used my 5-day-freebie to let my Corp know that, after my recent short break, I’ve decided to call it a day. With three years and 26 days to my name (so it says here)… I’m not exactly one of the old beards, but I’ve been in there long enough to have a short list of stories all of my own.

Our Corp has always been a slow grower, but now that we’re in there playing alongside some of ‘the big boys’ I find it increasingly difficult to enjoy the game. CTAs, tax rates, chain-of-command (groan), cap fleets, logistics, logistics, logistics… it’s all very interesting on paper, but that’s before I knew what it actually entails.

I’ve got far fonder memories from dicking about with 10-man gangs that I’ll ever have from the ballache that is the multiple-alliance BS/Cap fleet lag-a-thon. I don’t know how many months worth of subscription it took me to get sufficient skills to be able to fly a Rev without embarrassing myself, but damn, I’d rather try and break up gate camps in a Rupture than fly that damn golden paperweight.

In recent months we’ve aimed higher and higher as a Corp, and found ourselves to be pretty impeccable at 0.0 logistics (which is a boon), but the closer we get to something that resembles The End Game, the more I want to log out for something that doesn’t take itself so damn seriously. Eve-O: compelling, most certainly; fun… mmm, sometimes.

I will miss my Corp mates for certain. I won’t miss the game. Much.

And no, you can’t haz my stuff!

7. Artist says:

“CCP also claim that this update will bring in some of the most extensive anti-lag tech they have so far developed.”
    Deja-vu? =)

8. Batolemaeus says:

Oh look, another supercarrier. We totally needed another one.

Also, yay ice mining.

9. pissant says:

What I’ve read of the Sansha thing so far looks to be a nod toward infusing lowsec and 0.0 with more PvE content. While I suppose it’s good that these ‘invasions’ will flesh out empty spaces a little, players in Eve will have the content minmaxed and made as dull as possible within days. There doesn’t seem to be anything dynamic coming out of this from what I’ve read – barring the randomness of invasions – and it just doesn’t suit Eve.

• medwards says:

Have you ever killed NPCs in wormhole space? I mean its not like you can’t turn it into a cakewalk, but it is way more challenging than normal space NPCs. Word is the Sansha Incursions will have the target selection AI of the Sleepers but they’re adding more ship types, so there will be stealth bombers and other utility ships that can really ruin your day.

I would say this stuff is an interesting move towards scripted pve content a la boss fights in WoW. I doubt they’ll be quite as interesting in this iteration but I’m looking forward to seeing what comes out of it.

10. Westcreek says:

Why is it that so many trailers have some sinister voice speaking? For once i’d like the bad guy to be just silent and creepy. Gotta love eve tho!

11. Scatterbrainpaul says:

If only i had time to play this again

Hopefully it will still be around when i retire

12. clownst0pper says:

I’ve played MMOs for over ten years, and have never fell in love with Eve despite trying countless times. The missions, combat and mining are so dull it didn’t really leave me with many options.

• mpk says:

The greatest thing about EVE was always the PvP but unfortunately even that’s dying a death. There’s more money in the game than ever, there’s more ways to make money than ever before, but people seem to be more risk averse now than they were before.

• BAReFOOt says:

But that means that if you yourself have the balls to take more risks, you can make a fortune and dominate everything!

13. Skurmedel says:

Is that,… Patrick Stewart speaking?

• mandrill says:

No. The same guy was used in the last trailer (Tyrannis) and I asked via twitter if it was Patrick Stewart back then and its not. Some bloke form CCP’s Atlanta Office apparently.

• Skurmedel says:

Cool… he should record my voicemail message.

• Petrushka says:

I’m not certain, but it sounds remarkably like Terence Stamp (a.k.a. Mankar Camoran in Oblivion, General Zod, and others).

14. kharnevil says:

Since the release date for Incursion has ALREADY slipped to a 3 tiered staggered release, after they realised that they hadn’t written much of the content, I doubt Incarna/Dust will make it for April/May window. CCP keep making false promises, they’ve even introduced limited micro-transactions in the form of using PLEX to achieve things (soon to be expanded according to CSM complaints). Shame, the games fine it just needs commitment from the Devs.

15. Bloodloss says:

I’d love to play Eve, but if I ever see another skill-plan in Evemon I’ll scream. There are so… many… skills.. you need to get to be effective. Specifically, I’d love to be an outlaw pirate or something, but to do that would require subscribing with another account and then spending untold hours doing boring stuff just to fund the fun stuff, but that’s MMOs for ya I guess.

• BAReFOOt says:

Question: If it stopped being fun… is it still a game??
      In my world… no.

• Stick says:

@Bloodloss:

I’ve done “trial-character before resub’ing” twice, and in both cases managed to have oodles of fun being the Entirely Unexpected Pirate. (Nobody worries about an above -5, less than two weeks old Incursus.) Yeah, your target selection isn’t huge, but not looking scary makes a surprising difference.

That said, I’m subscribed until Christmas but haven’t actually played since August. Guess I’ll be back next year when they deployed the new stuff entirely. (And had a stab at fixing the most glaring New Bugs.)

16. Torgen says:

Hmm, this reminds me that my robot pilot has been sitting all week in the Perpetuum early start while I found zombies in the desert with random peoples.

17. MkHarris says:

Stop trying to make me play Eve again you bastards.
    I have two kids and games-backlog up to the ceiling, stop taunting me.

fingers-in-ears. I’m not listening to you CCP

18. sonofsanta says:

The trailers look so pretty, and I know my old corp is still waiting in there, after I said “I’m just taking a break to catch up on my games backlog”, but… I just can’t, not anymore. I’m a different person now, in part because of Eve but still, it demands so much that I can’t afford to give anymore. I’m sorry Eve, you were my love, for a while back there, but I’m married now and I know she says she can share but I don’t think she’d understand, not truly.

Also, this Incursion stuff reeks of “waiting to be abandoned” in the same manner as Factional Warfare was. If they want more PvE content, they had that framework there already to use, but then “we’ve just made everything a little bit better” isn’t as good a marketing line as “INVASION OF THE BRAINWASHED CLONES WITH SUPARLAZURS”, I guess.

19. DevilSShadoW says:

Waiting till Incarna. (like 99% of the players that are currently taking a break from eve)

20. Hmm-Hmm. says:

If only EvE was as fun to play as CCP’s trailers are to watch. Alas.

21. Nallen says:

Jim have you seen the character creation stuff coming out of Sisi? yikes…looks amazing.

22. Pandemic says:

I would play this game if i had a spare six months to actually get to the really good CAPTCHA…..

I can’t think of any other MMO puts new players at such a disadvantage… it’s like bowls… lots of old people play it now and only a few young people join the sport, what happens when all the old people die???