Deus Ex: Slightly More Humane Revolution

Yesterday lots of us joined hands and got angry at the news that Americans who pre-ordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution at GameStop would be gifted with not just new weapons and items, but an exclusive mission entitled Tong’s Rescue featuring a cameo of a character from Deus Ex. Ooh, we were so angry.

This morning Squeenix has revealed the European pre-order bonuses for Human Revolution, and it’s good news. Anybody who lives in the land of good cheese and bad television will be getting what I think is a much more reasonable deal.

In short, we’ll be getting the Explosive Mission Pack and the GameStop exclusive weapons if we pre-order the game anywhere at all. So, a pre-order will get you the extra mission, the one-shot Automatic Unlocking Device, the M-28 Utility Remote-Detonated Explosive Device (otherwise known as- groan- UR-DED) and the Linebacker grenade launcher.

Now, if Americans instead choose to buy the game from “participating retailers”, they can get the antique-looking Silverback double-barrel shotgun and the Whisperhead sniper rifle. We’ll be getting those bundled in with the expensive Augmented Edition, along with the 40 page art book, making-of DVD, fancy box and a “motion comic adapted from DC’s official series”. I could be wrong here, but I think that means they scanned the comic and linked the panels together with an animation and possibly sound effects, which sounds fun.

Anyone have any angry left? I think I’m spent.

1. Rinox says:

I have no anger left to dispense either, as I don’t really see why the internets exploded over this while it hardly seems (much) worse than what other big titles already pulled? :-(

• phlebas says:

Because this is a big title that we’re actually interested in.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Surely only because Warren Spector is involved? A sequel to a shoddy, ugly but innovative first game, and a second game that was merely decent – supposedly – when it bothered to run.

Warren’s “talents” are hideously overrated. I would argue that all the real talent moved to Looking Glass Studios and look what happened to them…

• jeremypeel says:

Except he isn’t involved, and hasn’t been for some time.

That’s a pretty pessimistic view on the fate of all talented individuals you’re wielding there, too. How about you put it down slowly and we’ll all go for a nice drink somewhere?

• outoffeelinsobad says:

Quick! Somebody grab him before he hurts all our feelings!

• Saul says:

Yes, Warren isn’t involved in this sequel at all. But other than that I’m inclined to agree with you about his overrated talents. Been playing me some Epic Mickey…

• Casimir's Blake says:

I would issue Warren my apologies, but Epic Mickey really is quite disappointing! But fair play if he’s not involved with Deus Ex 3, I retract that statement.

Maybe this sequel will be worth playing after all? *puts on his king’s lead hat*

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

IMHO, it’s always awful. It just doesn’t affect people as much if it’s about games they won’t get (or at least don’t care much about) anyway.

2. spacesubmarine says:

What can I do If I want it all ?

Pre-order the augmented edition ?

I’ll do it !

If I get it all.

3. Maxheadroom says:

This just takes it back down to ‘Acceptable’ rather than going all the way over to ‘Great’

Bozzley says:

Sorry Dan, nowhere offers handjobs OR crack as pre-order bonuses. Yet.

• Maxheadroom says:

pft, then their market research is for shit yo

• Bhazor says:

Prison’s always offer competitive prices for hand jobs if you’re in the market for one.

4. Rond says:

How much exactly is this Augmented Edition? 60 or 70 currency units?

• maniacyak says:

It’s expensive because you have to be augmented to use it. If you don’t have an upgrade canister you’re out of luck.

• Rond says:

Yeah, I guess the DVD-box is too heavy for me to lift.

Anyway, I think I’ll just grab a cheapo local version for 500 Russian oil-gas Putin money. Which will probably activate on Steam.

• jeremypeel says:

It’s expensive because you have to retrieve your pre-ordered copy from the bottom of a flooded tunnel in Japan.

Expensive, like, your life could be expended, y’know?

• Rond says:

@jeremypeel:
      I think that would be China.

• Inglourious Badger says:

I have an upgrade canister, but I can’t find a medbot to install it for me

5. WMain00 says:

Lots of money for Square Enix.

They’re starting to look desperate.

Your turn

6. MarkSide says:

I- I just feel so conflicted right now… ugh.

7. Kid A says:

While I still feel for our American cousins… a little part of me was very very happy at this. Glad our equivalent of Gamestop doesn’t wield anything like the financial power that must have influenced the decision on the other side of the pond.

• Xercies says:

Thats because our equivalent of Gamestop is Game…which owns the competition…which means they don’t have to do any underhanded pre-order bonuses because well if people go to both of them Game gets the money any way. its only because Gamestop over there still has competition they do this.

• jeremypeel says:

To use an appropriate analogy, Game’s monopoly over supposedly competitive retailers mimicks the archetypal coffee shop conspiracy, in which one owner plays their two chains of shops against each other in order to reap the benefits of high publicity and increased brand loyalty on both sides.

• Kid A says:

Oh. Well, that’s fucking terrifying. But at least everyone gets roughly the same deal, I guess.

Harlander says:

Oh ho ho!

I see what you did there, Jeremy.

Very nice. Very, very nice.

• malkav11 says:

Gamestop doesn’t have any direct competition – they’ve eaten up all the major videogame specialty chains and aren’t bothering to use any of them as hand puppets to convince the shopper they have options. They are, however, competing with megastores like Wal-mart, Target, and Best Buy, online retailers like Amazon and GoGamer, and digital distributors such as Steam.

• Count Elmdor says:

American cousin, here. I’m not too worked up because I’ll probably just end up waiting 18 months before purchasing the inevitable Gold/GOTY/Homo Augmentus version on Steam, but this still outright sucks. GameStop has the worst service, worst stores, worst practices, and worst prices of literally any video game retailer I know of in the US. I can’t wait for the day when I can gloat over their dead-like-Blockbuster Video, rotting carcass.

• dysphemism says:

@ Count Elmdor:

This Yankee seconds your venom-laden sentiment.

• matte_k says:

Game are slowly running Gamestation into the ground since they purchased it, and tried to make it the pre-owned sales branch of their company. Now , I can’t remember if it’s electronics boutique that own game, or the other way around.
      It’s all academic anyway, you can get it from Play.com :)

8. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Well… they’re still dicks for messing around with those poor people over in those wild lands across the seas.

Also, not all our TV is bad! Shame on you Quinns! Have some pride in the BBC!

• Rich says:

I spent enough time in the States this summer to call anyone out if they claim US TV is better.
      Certainly the US produces some gems, which are the ones people over here download from the naughty torrent place, or they actually get licensed to a Sky channel. Having said that, there’s maybe one good show on a day, and they’re all on HBO.

I even had to watch episodes of Lewis on PBS to stop myself going mad. Unfortunately PBS seems incapable of running a continuous service. They keep breaking to ask for more money.

• reticulate says:

If it’s not AMC, HBO or Showtime, it’s probably rubbish.

Outside of a few gems here and there, US TV is definitely not something to write home about.

• UW says:

Aye, I love our TV.

In terms of comedy my favourite series are all from the UK, and since comedy is my favourite genre.. well, that’s that.

• Xercies says:

Yeah but most of those shows that he loves are like 20! years ago…except for a few gems here and there British TV isn’t that much better then the US.

• RQH says:

What are you doing watching American TV in the summer? With very few minor exceptions, no one puts any new, good TV on in the summer. It’s a fucking wasteland.

• Rinox says:

More importantly, the UK having good cheese is a filthy, filthy lie. Better than the US, perhaps, but that’s ot saying much. I hope Quinns was referring to Europe as a country! In that case…I agree with his analysis. ;-)

• outoffeelinsobad says:

@Rich

I certainly hope that you watched FOX News and Law & Order: SVU. American TV does not get more enteraining.

• Rich says:

@outoffeelinsobad: I would rather have boiled my eyes out with the cheap hotel coffee.

Also nowt wrong with English cheese. At least it’s better than Dutch cheese.

• Starky says:

No where in the world does a cheddar that matches even an average British cheddar.
      That said, various countries beat us hands down at other types of cheese.

American cheese on the other hand, is utterly foul, overly processed rubbery tasteless crap. Even expensive “good” American cheese is average at best by European standard.

Still American coffee is worse – no wonder people pour in copious amounts sugar and cream into it, or add all kinds of crazy crap to it just to give it some flavour.
      You can get good, even great coffee in America, but you have to go out your way to find it – where in Europe you can walk into almost any cafe and get a decent cup. Even starbucks in Europe are getting acceptable now.
      Drip pot coffee though is about as flavourless as an experience you can get – the only thing worse than American coffee, is American tea, hehe.

• Count Elmdor says:

American tea is excellent, provided it is iced and lightly sweetened (Southern style), and taken alongside a nice burger or some BBQ.

• Poindexter says:

Coming from an American:

I agree with the great tv from AMC and HBO. The only big tv network worth watching is NBC. Between the Law and Orders, Community and Outsourced, they have some quality shows.

• dysphemism says:

@ Count Elmdor: Wholehearted agreement. You’re now 2 for 2 on the vital issues of sweet tea and Gamestop.

• Thants says:

FX has been making some great shows as well. Really, I’m a fan of English TV as well, but if there’s a country that makes more great TV shows than America I’d like to hear about it.

• TheTingler says:

At least the UK’s adverts are vaguely tolerable and not teeth-grindingly irritating. Nor do they come on between the end of a show and that show’s credits, followed by another string of adverts after the credits, and then the opening credits of another show, and then more adverts.

I swear they actually have ad breaks in the middle of ad breaks.

• Jerricho says:

@ Rinox
      He never said it was a country of good cheese, just a land, which Europe certainly is.

9. Theory says:

So what’s happening with Steam?

10. MarkSide says:

So what are the chances of this game being good? Is it worth a pre-order, or should we follow the wise old path of review-waiting?

• Pony Canyon says:

I’m going with 0.014%. As much as I enjoyed the first, this is just oozing that terrible console port vibe.

• minipixel says:

even better, follow the wise old path of demo-waiting

• LionsPhil says:

Indeed. And if there’s no demo, there’s no sale.

This increasing culture of pre-ordering is even worse than the one of DRM tolerance.

11. Ian says:

So if I just pre-order the normal-o-edition I get all the in game stuff with the exception of two guns?

12. JB says:

I speel my drink.

13. Spacewalk says:

I’d be angry if I cared at all about Deus Ex 3. The official colour is orange, not rose-tinted.

14. apricotsoup says:

Don’t remember what it was but I did see some game getting exclusive content through hmv the other day. So these things are starting to pop up.

Not to mention the high chance of the brink packs being brought over here to specific retailers (I’m sure amazon/steam could bring their exclusive deals across the pond).

15. Rick says:

“I wanted orange! They gave me lemon-lime!”

16. reticulate says:

No doubt it will be $30 more expensive than it needs to be in Australia, and we’ll have to purchase the additional DLC down the track sometime, possibly, maybe.

Not that it matters since I never pre-order anything these days.

17. Shazbut says:

Wait, we were angry because we weren’t sure if we were going to get the content? I thought it was because their DLC seemed to suggest weakness and fear on the part of the developers/producers because they seem to want to make the game more forgiving, or because we are relying on this game to take us back to the time when the PC was rightly on the throne and the bollocks that is Downloadable Content wasn’t happening.

Or….wait, no…no, why are we angry?

Either the game has high agency comparable to the first, or it doesn’t.

That’s it. That’s the whole story. Everything else is taken care of, as you can see if you watch a trailer through eyes that aren’t blinded by deep nostalgia / attachment / bitter self-loathing.

All this chat is like being told the world will end in 20 minutes, and spending that time having a bitter row with your neighbour about the best Radiohead album.

• poop says:

people were angry because and entire mission is restricted to gamestop preorders if you are a yank, dont be a smartass

• Lambchops says:

Hint: It’s OK Computer and not Kid A.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

In Rainbows.

• august says:

You’re not using the word “agency” correctly in this context. Or at least in the context of an English usage I’m familiar with.

• Shazbut says:

I’m refering to a term that Clint Hocking used in an RPS article in the summer of this year. I’d never heard it before so i apologise if I’m using it incorrectly, but I basically mean the depth of your interaction with the game. It’s the “freedom” people talk about when they talk about the original. Nothing to do with choices, nothing to do with non-linearity either.

It’s important to make these distinctions. My whole point is that it’s important to really try and identify what key elements made the original what it is. The same elements that are shared with System Shock, with Stalker, with Pathologic. There is a common thread here, what IS that common thread? This matters because if the fanbase knows exactly what it wants, what matters, then it can keep a level head when a situation like this comes along.

Loads of games have great graphics, music, good ideas…less than one in a hundred had what Deus Ex had. If you know what Deus Ex had, then you can say, “Ok, developers, please keep THIS!!!!!! Experiment and be the artists and businessmen you are with the rest of the game, but expand on THIS quality.”

Then you can’t be manipulated by trailers.
      Or screenshots.
      Or much of anything they say, because you know the litmus test is when you see evidence of these important qualities in motion.
      And news like this DLC thing won’t really matter to you.

Otherwise you fall in love with the style of the game. You can’t identify what made it what it great and you fall in love with the whole package as a result. Then you get very angry because a character isn’t wearing sunglasses like he was in the first game and that’s inconsistent or something. And what do the developers do? They give him sunglasses, make you happy, and then you buy the game, and they don’t have to do a damn thing about making the game comparable to the first because they’ll already get enough sales off people like you.

There is nothing worse for a fanbase to become totally attached. They make it much harder for the creatives to do their job, even if they have the talent.

All this rage is only being detrimental. 10 years of watching the FP-RPG (you could make a case for this genre representing the height of gaming’s evolution) get abandoned and publishers fleeing the PC in fear might give you a right to be angry. But it is detrimental.

18. Jonas says:

Am I wrong in assuming that the Augmented Edition will include both pre-order bonuses? From what I read, the standard edition will have the Explosive Mission pack, while the Agumented Edition carries the Tactical Mission pack (what’s tactical about a double-barreled shotgun?), but not both. I’d much prefer the Explosive bonus, even if the extra mission seems like a generic slog through baddie-infested sewers.

I think the staff has some kind of plot.

19. wcaypahwat says:

I’m in Australia. What do?

• reticulate says:

We get thoroughly shafted no matter who we buy it from, as per usual.

• Sinomatic says:

I think I’d be more concerned about what would be banned from the main game let alone the extra content.

Or maybe you’re just forced to take a non-lethal route through the whole thing…

• Auspex says:

“Acquire” it by other means and then laugh like you’ve got no respect for IP law!

20. Optimaximal says:

How appropriate (with a few alterations) does the Bob Page rant suit this topic…

All right. I get the picture. You want a piece of the pie, or you’re going to toss the whole pie out the window. Fair enough. You can have anything you want. How about Europe? Your own continent… Just let me complete my preparations!

21. edwardoka says:

I can’t get up much ire or concern about this, as I am one of a handful of people who doesn’t like Deus Ex.

I’m rather more worried about what this might spell for Thi4f.

22. kyrieee says:

Fuck yeah buying games before you know if they’re any good or be excluded from content!

23. Brumisator says:

This is how I see it:
    In the days of old, we got a game, then some time later we bought an expansion pack, those were the good days.
    Nowadays, we buy a game, and between 0 and 30 days later, we get some DLC that many argue should have been included in the game anyway.
    In the near future (and possibly already the present), we’re going to pay for waht is essentially day 1 DLC as part of a special edition and/or pre-order? More overpriced minor stuff that actually is already coded into the game, and people are suddenly okay with it?

I just say, WTF, stop ripping us off, bastards!

• Mccy_McFlinn says:

Agreed. None of it sounds in any way appealing to me. I find it amazing that games now seem to have become the new Barbie – people are willing to throw money at a new gun/car/character that’s essentially one they already have but it’s dressed up slightly differently.

DLC is a blight, an affliction, a downright tradegy. Not to mention the fact that prices are crazy. £1.99 for a new map in Civ 5? Outrageous. £2.99 for some new weapons and a vehicle in Just Cause 2? Piss off.

• Baines says:

In the near future we will be paying for Day 1 DLC already coded into the game and on the disc? Wasn’t a lot of early console game DLC already coded into the game and on the disc? You weren’t downloading the code and assets, you were just downloading an unlock key. Companies just tried to hide it from gamers by waiting a while after release to make it purchasable.

Mind, the PC side of gaming has had the Day 1 patch long established, where companies barely even pretend to finish a game before shipping.

Pre-order exclusives have become worse than the old console exclusives that some companies gave to their multiplayer games. And while people complain, they still pony up their cash for pre-orders, and even get gleeful if they think they are getting a better deal than someone else. (For the latter, just look at the RPS Deux Ex posts. The pre-order bonuses were evil when it was questionable what the UK would get. But the moment the UK finds out it is getting a better deal than the US, it is suddenly great?)

24. Carra says:

Sigh, I miss the days where you had a regular box and maybe a deluxe box.

I just want the game, not spend 15 minutes trying to figure out which shop gives the best DLC.

25. Ricc says:

Not so sure about the staring eyes for this one.

26. toni says:

hey, its DX 3 – the animated game – who cares ?

27. Dawngreeter says:

I spent none the last time around so here’s a bit of my anger. Fuck the pre-order bonus items. And fuck the bonus missions. Fuck ’em to hell. I don’t want to pre-order anything, you thieving, stinking lot of loathsome producer and distributor scum. If I can’t buy a game with everything included, I will pirate it with everything included.

• The Colonel says:

Hear hear. If only they’d interpret people pirating games as a big “fuck you”. It’s impossible to get the message across. Maybe everyone that refuses to buy a game for a principle should write them a letter to let them know that they’ve lost a sale by being a prick.

28. Sinomatic says:

Angry? It depends.

Are these weapons available in the game anyway (and pre-orders just get given them early)? If not, are these weapons just cosmetic changes? And will that Tong mission be available to everyone for free at some point?

If those three things garner a yes, then I’ll consider being non-angered.

All this retailer-dependent content is utter shite though. Offering purely cosmetic bits and bobs is one thing, but experience-changing content is a whole other thing. A crap thing. From Crapland, Craptopia.

29. Fleps says:

This kind of shenanigans entrenches me further in my default position of ‘generally don’t buy games less than a year after they’re released’.

This way:

1. A picture has emerged as to whether or not the game is any good (and I don’t mean metacritic), rather than simply pretty and the new thing
    2. Don’t have to pay premium for beta testing the damn thing. Free time is precious, there are many wonderful things to spend it doing, why spend it acting as an unpaid tester?
    3. Won’t get nickel and dimed by dripdripdrip of DLC which appeals to my completionist tendencies…
    4. …besides which, by the time I buy it, the gold/platinum/collectors edition will have come out, which has all of the expansions/DLC material in the same pack for a reasonable price
    5. Community support has either happened or not – with attendant mods and added value
    6. can judge good times to upgrade/rebuild games box

Seriously though. I don’t understand why people are tempted to pre-order, when the game might not be any good? Isn’t this why we read Wot I Thinks on this site, to see if we’ll enjoy a game? Before we buy it?

• Ed Burst says:

@Fleps
      This is precisely why it makes sense for companies to give extra bonus content to people who are willing to pre-order. After all, if everyone waited a year, the games industry would be annihilated.

• Dawngreeter says:

Technically, not buying the pre-order is the same as piracy.

• mpk says:

I really hope that comment is tongue-in-cheek.

• Ricc says:

@Ed Burst:

The problem is, that the games industry is still so very hit-driven. If something doesn’t sell within the first month of release, the whole thing’s a “failure”. Coupled with piss poor quality standards (consumer = beta tester, as mentioned above) this can only lead to another big crash, like the industry already experienced.

Unfortunately, it’s completely reasonable to not buy games on day 1 right now. I wish publishers tried to fix that, so we could establish a market that really rewards good games instead of solely relying on the PR-departments hypemachine.

• joe says:

Why did I immediately think of this?

• Tei says:

Thats nice, but is not a complete way to enjoy gaming. Part of the fun of gaming is discover games at the same time of other people,
      share experiences, and talk about it. Seems humans need that type of information transference.
      Delaying game enjoyement a year you can optimize your monetary and completionist factors, but it may seriusly hit the social factor.
      Also, you will see everywhere people making jokes about cake, withouth any idea why the cake is a lie.

• fleps says:

@ed burst
      is this right? Do people pre-order games principally to stop developers going out of business? Maybe, but it seems a bit of a stretch to me. I totally understand pre-ordering/buying to support a particular person whose work you love (a la Minecraft/dwarf fortress) – and i really like the idea of it, like a kind of modern day distributed patronage model of payment. But didn’t CoDBlOps set pre-order records? was that because people thought Activision was going under? Not trying to be a smartypants, but I think the majority of people pre-ordering are doing it simply because they want to play it ASAP.

@tei
      I know what you mean, but I like to engage with the wider community by reading blogs like this, and reading the generally very interesting comment threads. And as for the cake – well, with Valve, the whole ‘done when it’s done’ attitude means that the games they ship are actually complete. Did anyone ever find a bug in Half-Life 2? I never did. And based on that, I was happy to get the orange box as soon as it came out.

Anyway, I’ll go back to lurking, because I don’t like commenting just for the sake of it…

• LionsPhil says:

I also agree with this plan and after the ludicrously cheap Orange Box sale plan to be playing HL2 for the first time after this Christmas. Fie upon you kids and your craving for all the latest shiny new toys.

30. Torqual says:

Ah another title for the soft price bin. I would buy this for a dollar.

Have a nice day

31. Moot The Pointy says:

Why do people preorder??? What is the point?

• Torqual says:

Why do people blind date?

• Theory says:

In the past, you had to rely on circles of reprocessed oil wrapped in dead trees to get your game. Since only so many of these things could be manufactured and moved around on the backs of lorries, it made a lot of sense to get an advanced ticket of sorts, so that one such lump of matter could be reserved for yourself.

Those were simpler times.

32. malkav11 says:

I’m still angry, because I live in America and the sensibler bonus schema you folks get helps me not at all.

• Jimmy Jazz says:

I am also thinking this, but I’m less angry now, because I already spent it all on yesterday and it might take a few days to recover from all that rage.

But yeah sucks for us.

33. Jannakar says:

what a sham – wait – what did you say?

34. Simon Dufour says:

I’ll buy it once it’s available on Steam. With its brothers.

35. Angryinternetman says:

From my point of view, I deserve more than anyone else.

36. bwion says:

I’m not angry, it’s just business. They’re not a charity, and neither am I. But if they’re not going to sell me the whole game right now, I’m quite happy to wait until Steam’s willing to sell me the Game Of The Year edition for five bucks in three years’ time.

37. Andrew says:

I don’t understand what the big deal is about. Okay it might be nice to get an extra mission, but I do not give a rat’s ass about some extra weapons, skins and more of that nonsense. I have never seen one single pre-order deal that made it actually worth my trouble to pre-order. I even stopped buying collectors editions, because it simply is not worth it.
    And I even decided to not buy certain games because I felt they were trying to sell me half a game and the other half via DLC.

38. noobnob says:

Oh well, I guess this game will be on the “wait for the GOATEE edition then buy” list. I rarely buy games at launch date/preorder anyways, save for World of Goo and SMB.

39. Gravy says:

You could pre-order it or, you could not that by any means this site or me personally condones it you could…. Buy the normal game and DL the added ingame content instead of paying so much for it, unless of course you really are going to spend days looking through the art book.

That said I love deus ex so ill probably fork out for all that gubbins and it’ll sit somewhere and never get looked at.

40. Sir-Lucius says:

As much as I don’t want to spend the extra cash on a limited edition, I’d love to get my hands on that artbook, especially if it’s of the quality of the one that came with the original Assassin’s Creed (i.e., not a book smaller than a goddamn blu-ray case). While I’m still worried about just how shooter-y the actual game is going to be, I really do love the art direction. And as a 3D artist myself, I love looking at concept work and the guts behind actual assets.

41. The Colonel says:

But the publishers NEED DLC! Otherwise how could they quash the second hand games market! Those dirty pirates.

42. Ricky 'Golly Gee' Butler says:

I’m an Amurrcain and I can’t support Gamestop.

Unless it attaches to Steam, in that case, call me a tool right now. (I need my Deus Ex.)

I imagine we’ll all get access to that level at some point. Sounds like bad fanservice, howeva.

43. Fox says:

Excellent news. I was confused yesterday but all is well now! I was planning on getting the AE anyway for the artbook and soundtrack, and now it’s clarified that this will get me all the additional content as well. Win.

I’m very optimistic that this will be a brilliant game, perhaps even close to the original. I haven’t been this excited for something since….ever!

44. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I’ve waited 9 years for a Deus Ex with better graphics… I still can’t believe this game looks as good it already does;

Conversation system is far more complex with usually (if I remember correctly) two recorded scripts for most conversation to limit memorising the best conversational approach.
    Augs to measure biometric responses to deduce lying or deceit.
    A mind control augmentation.
    At least five ways to get into the Hive Nightclub in Shanghai compared with one or two to in DX, I hope representative of the commitment to multi-solution problems.
    A far more in-depth augmentation system (each aug has a ‘tech-tree’)
    Non-clunky shooting mechanics and what seem to be gloriously satisfying weapons.
    More challenging stealth and A.I.
    A return to a grid-based inventory that I believe you can also expand with strength augmentations.
    Newspapers & e-mails, FUCK YES.
    Experience points AND praxis points.
    The art design.
    More focus on ‘hub’ areas that you can freely explore.
    Over 100 fictional brands with backstories created (also Versalife!).
    The difficulty levels are casual, normal and Deus Ex.
    Far more reactive commentary on your actions, like media reports if you’ve gone guns blazing on an infiltration mission.
    The atmosphere from what has been shown of Shanghai and in trailers.

Even if the game just competently delivered what it has shown thus far it would be vastly better than Invisible War and most games out today. It would take some game-breaking bug or oversight to fuck this up, but I’m actually quite hopeful it’ll be something special. I can’t pre-order the collector’s edition fast enough because I really want to support a developer making a game like this for the PC. I also haven’t been excited for a game this much in years.

• Thants says:

Damn you! I’m trying to keep my expectations low and this isn’t helping!

45. dethtoll says:

Being American (and being me) I’ve got plenty of angry for everyone.

46. zkylon says:

Well i live in Argentina so i’m not getting no preorder options. Anger ahoy!

47. Josh Brandt says:

Motion comics are AWFUL. It’s lcomic books for people who don’t want to be bothered reading the words in the little bubbles. It’s worse animation than 70’s Hannah-Barbera Saturday morning cartoons, where nobody moves much. Ugh, motion comics. Fie upon them.

Also, bad television? Come on, you live in a country where you can watch six hours of Stephen Fry on TV EVERY DAY! My goodness, how could you complain about that?

…seriously, we were in the UK a year or so ago, and I swear he was on constantly.

48. alm says:

The Augmented Edition is only £35.61 on Amazon.co.uk

Only ~£6 more expensive than the standard edition

link to amazon.co.uk

• Araxiel says:

Do you get it all if you buy this version? Because I want all of it!

49. R10T says:

WHAT A SHAME! Oh, i see.. sorry, my fault.