The Games Of Christmas ’10: Day 1

This first Game Of Christmas is a game that is all about unwrapping things. Unwrapping them with explosives. Let’s see what we’re jabbering about behind the first window…

It’s… Battlefield: Bad Company 2!

If there’s one game series that the PC needs to see extended and revitalised, it’s that of Battlefield. What we want is for Battlefield 3 to turn up, and for it to be the perfect reinstatement of the multiplayer combat game. We even know that Battlefield 3 is definitely in the pipeline, but it has been a long time coming, and there could still be a long way yet to go. It was fortunate therefore that Battlefield Bad Company 2’s multiplayer should be such an excellent stopgap.

Now, I should stop at this juncture and point out that I’m really not holding up Battlefield Bad Company 2’s single player as one of the games of the year. It was an entirely average single player experience which, despite the capacity to destroy scenery, had largely abandoned my imagination within a few hours of playing it? What happened there? It was just another military FPS. The same was not true of the multiplayer, and that was what kept me interested, on and off, for the entire year.

BFBC2’s multiplayer follows the now-classic template of two teams making war, each team being made up of a selection of classes – in this case assault, for ammo supply and shooty, engineer, for pro- and anti-vehicle powers, medic, for revive and heal, and recon, for sniping and other stuff. Each of these classes has a huge selection of extra kit that can be unlocked by playing with that class over time. There are also vehicle unlocks, which are earned through time using vehicles.

What I found compelling about BFBC2 was that it was the first time the unlock system in this kind of game really made sense to me. Rather than feeling like I was being denied cool stuff from the outset, I felt like I was simply earning a wider selection of tools as I went along. Although the game has overall levels for the players, it never felt vertical in structure: I was right in there, helping with the fight from the first moments. That’s probably least true for the recon, who really needs the mortar and a decent sniper rifle to be effective, and most true for the medic and engineer, who are both pretty badass from the first couple of unlocks. All in all it reminded me of PlanetSide and other “flat” shooters with a system for progression, where even the newbie could contribute to the fiercest battle.

I’m predisposed to be a shooty fellow, however, and I have spent most of my time playing as the assault class. It’s this that drew me in even further, because the rewards for always making sure my squad, and team at large, were supplied with ammo, kept me on my toes throughout any and every game I played in. The rewards system actually nudged me towards teamplay in exactly the way so many other games have failed to do over the years.

There was no prone. This was a good thing. It really was. I’ve got Arma II for realism, BFBC2 was about bonkers silliness, and prone would have overcomplicated and imbalanced things.

BFBC2 leans heavily on Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 for its unlocks and other game features – things that that make it worth playing for more than pure gun action – but there was also a new game-mode, Rush, for which BFBC2 can largely take credit (although I believe there was a mod that did something similar?) Anyway, while the familiar Battlefield conquest maps were certainly welcome, the Rush modes – in which two objectives per section of each level had to be destroyed by one team, and defended by the other – produced a refresh direction to play. The attack/defence dynamic felt remarkably vigorous and was a welcome change from other, more tired modes of the past. The map design, too, excelled for this mode, with some superb – both visually and spatially strong – environments for players to do war in.

Of course, the other aspect of the environments which looms over all this was the destruction tech, which allows certain materials to be obliterated by the players. This destructiveness extends from wirelink fences which can be slashed open with a combat knife, to reinforced concrete walls that can be cracked and shattered, before being totally destroyed by high explosives. This tech is extremely important to the cosmetic appeal of the game: seeing the environments gradually becoming broken down and devastated by the firefights that rage through them is extraordinarily evocative. But it’s also important tactically: blowing a whole in a wall to create an entrance to a building, flattening structures that might provide a hiding place for the enemy, this all becomes routine in the way BFBC2 plays out. And it still feels remarkably fresh, even after a hundred hours of play. More than that, it makes other shooters seem stiff and lifeless – after enough BFBC2 it becomes strange that other game environments are so unyielding to your heavy weapons.

What was most surprising for me, after all this time, was that I was able to really get back into a team-based FPS. While I’ve dabbled in everything over the past few years, I realise I’ve haven’t actually sunk a huge amount of time into anything since Battlefield 2. It was delightful and refreshing for this to be as playable as it was. The problems with lag, the protracted hideousness of the browser, the lack of actual new maps (rather than revamps of existing environments) were all big problems, and the fact that they weren’t enough to put me off playing attests to this being one of the games of the year. Well done, DICE. We’ll have more like this, please. Only better.

1. dave says:

BATTLEFIELD 3

that is all

2. Nick says:

But the recon’s starting rifle is the one of, if not the best sniper rifles!

• Gap Gen says:

But starting a medic without the capability to heal is pretty silly.

• Rane2k says:

Yeah, I actually had to google it to find out that, no, as a starting medic you can apparently not heal.
      At first I thought maybe I hadn´t bound the right key or something and it felt really awkward…

• FunkyBadger says:

Pfeh. Real Recons use shotguns.

3. Mr Chug says:

I have a deep love affair with the shock paddles of BC2, not least because they enable me and my friends to pull off balls out assaults as 4 medics, running straight across open ground and simply picking up whoever falls, then giving enemy snipers a high voltage surprise. They also usually allow me to achieve huge scores despite a terrible kdr.

• Dood says:

People like you are the reason some rounds of BC2 are no fun at all. Attacking/Defending against a team comprised almost entirely of medics is one of the worst gameplay experiences the game has to offer. No matter how many of them you take out, they instantly get revived by a flock of their crazy medic teammates. Then they mow you down with their ridiculously powerful MGs. No fun at all playing assault or engi, I tell you.

P.S.: Sorry Mr Chug. It kinda sounds like I’m attacking you personally, which isn’t my intention. Your post just inspired me to write this “I hate medic trains” rant. No hard feelings, right? =)

• Mr Chug says:

Not at all, I’ve seen it used against my team enough times to know it’s an absolute pain in the arse and a pretty gaping flaw in the game balance (not helped by how fun it is to pull off, which is why it tends to emerge as a tactic when the defenders are locked down and everyone’s getting a bit bored).

• Surgeon says:

Me too, I absolutely love my paddles.
      And you’re spot on, being top of the score board with the worst K/D is highly satisfying.

In fact, being a medic inspired my first ever set of gameplay video’s;

link to youtube.com

• DJ Phantoon says:

And here I thought double Ubersaw combo in TF2 was ridiculous.

• Jason Moyer says:

There isn’t a medic squad that can’t be cured by a few carl gustavs.

4. Serenegoose says:

I played battlefield 1 and battlefield 2 and found them awful games. Correspondingly I’m not sure how I feel about the next battlefield game being battlefield 3 when I’d much rather Bad Company 3. This is a truly excellent small-scale team based shooter, with guns that actually feel capable of more than blowing bubbles at your enemy, without vehicles that dominate every engagement they’re in, and without maps that take ages to trudge through if you have the temerity to spawn in an area without a vehicle. I think my favourite feature overall was the squad system, letting you spawn at the backs of your comrades, and marking them out specially so you had a little marked group to take care of. In my opinion, it’s silent little cohesion aids like this that made BC2 my stand out shooter experience of the year.

• Heliocentric says:

This is a feature of battlefield 2, bfbc copied it.

• Serenegoose says:

oh yes, I do remember that now you point it out – apologies, I played BF2 years ago, and my main memory of it was that I didn’t like it because the guns felt like poor imitations of air rifles and I like infantry first and foremost, so the vehicle focus turned me right off – but on fuller recollection I do recall a quite enjoyable squad and commander system, you’re quite right.

• Sweedums says:

to be fair, in BF2 you could only spawn on your squad leader. personally, i think that is a better idea, but i did enjoy being able to jump on to any of my squad mates into BC2. And I have never put my finger on why i wasn’t too keen on the BF2 guns… but i think you nailed it, they feel (and to an extent, sound) like air rifles…

the guns in BC2 feel and sound brilliant, i really did enjoy using the assault rifles.

• Sweedums says:

though i think i ought to point out, BF2 is probably one of my most favourite shooters of all time, although its mostly down to the project reality mod which abolutely everyone should most certainly play at some point.

ALSO, they added infantry-only to BF2 a long time ago, so it is actually suitable for people who like to play as infantry, like me! :)

• Web Cole says:

Whats your nick on PR Sweedums? Always wondered how many RPSers play PR.

Jump on PRTA some time if your still active :)

• Nick says:

BF2s guns were great, in fact its probably the best BF game to date, although 2142 fixed a lot of the gameplay issues it was left with. Some sort of mix of 2142s fixes and BF2s style would be the ideal BF3, I don’t really care much about total destrutcable scenery, but its fun enough.

• Adam Frederic says:

Oh no u di’int. BF2 has all the squaddie action you can handle and adds mobility and a logistics layer. It is a bigger game. BC2 is a great game but it is also less ambitious game and that is why I am looking forward to BF3.

5. Jonathan says:

I really wish I had the time to sink into a realistic (as opposed to cartoony old TF2) online shooter. I adored BF2, but fear I simply won’t be able to get good enough at BC2 to enjoy it online.

• bob123 says:

Try the BF2 mod :
      Project reality

Its a lot more tactical than the other main stream shooter,and usually the side with the best Tactics,Coordination,and Insquad-teamwork wins.

Ps:Read the Manual first.

• DXN says:

Seconding the Project Reality recommendation. It really is astounding, despite the aging graphics!

• KilgoreTrout XL says:

Nonsense, you’ll be fine. It’s better at allowing (and rewarding) new players to simply assist in team objectives at the beginning as you level up your classes and learn the game than any deep FPS MP I’ve ever seen.

• Edgar the Peaceful says:

Just jump in. I’m a rubbish 22nd rank Assault player with a kill death ratio of 0.5: I suck. But I go around doing the jobs others can’t be bothered to do – like defusing the objectives. Occasionally I shoot someone. It’s a fantastic game, just ignore any ideas of proficiency and get in there. Nobody minds of you’re crap.

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

I’ll also say that it’s easy to jump into Bad Company 2, although the time it takes to unlock the first class upgrades (IE: actually make the classes useful), can seem like a long time. Playing medic like an actual support class would be a nice change of pace, actually, rather than how everyone else plays it, which is a sniper that will sometimes , but just as often not, revive you.

• Soulsick says:

+1 for Project Reality.
      Playing as under equipped insurgents against over-equiped US forces that stand off in their APCs and fire into windows is an amazing experience. I just cannot state how much it was like the footage from the TV.
      Watching US Infantry hanging around Hummvees using their squad abilities while I watch from a roof then pull out my iron sighted AK and try and take them down only to not know where my shots are going and totally fail to do any damage.
      Sitting behind fences with mobile phones linked to IEDs.
      It’s chaotic, frantic, and so often unfair. But that’s the appeal.

Absolutely brilliant game, but it is _damn_ hard to get into, even after a few days I still had trouble. The manual seesm to explain things well but it all goes out the window when you jump into the game.

They also have a Crysis version coming out I believe?

I hope they make a commercial release. I just can’t say enough how much I love that game. It’s really overwhelming, but totally worth it.

• Web Cole says:

What I said just above this:

“Always wondered how many RPSers play PR.

Jump on PRTA some time if your still active :)”

• P3RF3CT D3ATH says:

It’s actually going to be a mod for ARMA II, not Crysis.

6. Brumisator says:

this is my most hated game of the year.
    CoD, I just despise.
    BF:BC2, I have deep loathing for.
    THAT IS ALL!
    I will not qualify this statement, as it is only my opinion and should not influence anyone else’s.

7. Sam says:

Actually the Rush mode was originally in the first Bad Company.

8. Sam says:

Actually the Rush mode was originally in the first Bad Company. It was called Gold Rush.

9. Schadenfreude says:

I enjoyed the single-player (Not a big fan of shooters overall however); the bit where your squad talk about the best scenes in Predator won me over big time.

• wengart says:

The Singleplayer had it moments but I would most certainly not recommend anyone buy BC2 on the strength of the SP.

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

Ugh, that Singleplayer. Easily my most hated thing of last year was listen to the “hilarious” banter between the hippy chopper pilot and the redneck soldier. I wanted to kill both of them and be done with it.

• Forscythe says:

It’s certainly true that the single player is nowhere near as great as the multiplayer… but for anyone who, like me, who bought the game solely for the multiplayer, the single player comes as a really sweet bonus extra. In my case, given that the game is named “Battlefield”, I didn’t really even know there WAS a single player campaign until I had already owned it for several months. It was a great surprise to find a decent single-player FPS hidden in the game I already owned.

10. Monchberter says:

Is not TF2.

Next!

• itsallcrap says:

I’m betting TF2 will be Christmas Eve.

That said, they now won’t want me to have correctly guessed that, so I’m betting TF2 will not be Christmas Eve.

• Monchberter says:

TF2 is of 2007 vintage. But may as well be in it every year, given the amount of content that’s dropped over the past 3 years.

11. bonjovi says:

Nice article.

One objection thou:
    For me the best sniper rifle in the game is the first one. Much better mobility and rate of fire without compromising accuracy.

You can even put a red dot on it and use as bolt action COD2 style.

• Sigh says:

Bonjovi,

You just made my day. I haven’t really experimented with putting a red dot on the first sniper rifle.

I really, I mean REALLY miss bolt action rifles especially as they were represented in CoD2. They were the best weapon in the game and by far the most fun. Also if you got really good with them you could easily hold off the players that run around the level full-bore with submachine guns and other assault weapons…which is not true of later games. It was great fun taking out the frantic run-and-gun kids with a painfully slow reloading rifle.

I can’t wait to load up BFBC2 with the new maps and try out Bonjovi’s recommendation, I owe you.

• Poindexter says:

@bonjovi and Sigh
      May I suggest the Mk14 Mod 0 Enhanced as a great weapon for that type of play. It has quickly become one of my favorite weapons as it is a semi-automatic battle rifle. Supposedly this patch even added a few sight options to it and the G3. I’ll have to try this out when I get home.

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

I’m a little surprised about the G3 and the M-14 getting the red dot. I thought the playtesting with it in the beta made it overpowered?

12. UW says:

Haven’t really played BC2 yet. Having seen this, I’m thinking that maybe I should.

My favourite multiplayer FPS of all time is still Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and a lot of what you’re describing sounds very similar.

For one thing the “Rush” mode sounds very much like the way ET played, as well as the separate classes and upgrades.

• rhizo says:

There are similarities, and I rather like BFBC2, but do not make the mistake of thinking these games equal in a tactical sense. ET had absolutely fantastic class balance in terms of actual stopwatch gaming and the fact that it did not put as much emphasis on the k/d as BFBC2 does, made it all the more appealing.

One reason I’m looking forward to Brink is that it has more uses for different classes than just differences in weaponry and firepower. It creates a different (and in my opinion superior) tactical setting to have to keep your engineer alive in certain situations, because he’s the only one capable of winning the round for you. Just arming MCOMs phase after phase does get a bit boring. That being said, changing classes on the fly will probably decimate the class dynamic in Brink as well.

Rush is certainly my favorite game type in BFBC2 although it is ticket based, as opposed to stopwatch as in ET. Tickets probably suit pub type gaming better; at least there are no 1:30 rounds due to team imbalance. Then again, the root of the problem still persists.

Also, WTH BFBC2, no gibbing!? At least let the player tap out to be able to avoid missing a useful respawn and having to continue in an indefensible position with 2 bullets in your side arm. Fun times.

13. Dood says:

Please don’t forget the one thing BFBC2 got right, where every other FPS I know failed: Sound effects. Especially if you switch to “War Tapes” (Although I have no idea what the sound settings in BC2 are supposed to mean).

• Dug Briderider says:

War Tapes scares me

• mondomau says:

I have no idea what you are talking about. But I intend to find out as soon as I get home.

• clive dunn says:

Yep, the sound was the thing that really really impressed me in this game. Second to none, at least with games i have played

14. TheFlyingWooly says:

I’ve found the best way to play the recon class is to avoid sniper rifles altogether. Semi auto shotty and motion sensors are a lovely combination :D

My only real issue with the game has been a lack of maps, shame theres no map making tools.

• Serenegoose says:

The shotgun on a recon class combination is pretty solid, but I favour the SV98 (I think?) and a beretta. People seem to ditch the beretta immediately once they get the M1911 but well, I’ve got a 9 kill spree (in the time it took to blow up an MCOM station) with a beretta so I’ve a certain loyalty to it. It also means I have a reliable close/medium range weapon, so I have no use for the shotgun, and can keep the sniper rifle for thinning the herd before I plunge into close quarters. Still, all down to personal preference – I’ll admit often the temptation to hang back and snipe is why I often force myself to roll engineer instead. In my opinion his SMGs are better than the assault guns, and I hate the idea of facing down a tank without any way to hurt it, so it suits my desire to be batman levels of prepared for any situation. :D

15. Dug Briderider says:

“the lack of actual new maps (rather than revamps of existing environments)”
    Ironically today DICE have released 2 new maps and 2 updates from BFBC1 (Harvest Day & Oasis)

That’s why I thought it was today’s Calender choice. Must be co-incidence.

16. stahlwerk says:

Look, it’s a warmongering sock-puppet!

Haven’t played the game, but the sound design of the first one was top notch.

• neolith says:

The sound effects are by far the best I’ve ever witnessed in a game – especially in MP.

17. trooperdx3117 says:

I will say this while I appreciated BF2 my overriding memory of it is hiding in a bunker with 6 other guys while our team got the ever-loving crap bombed out of it by the other teams superior pilots. No problem like that in BC2 and remarkably enough it says that my current game time is 100hours which is far more than i’ve ever poured into any other multiplayer game, and now with the new maps and vietnam coming out I expect to be playing it for another 100 hours

18. EALouise says:

Bad Company is a game where spending 20 minutes exploding holes in walls is a legitimate strategy, absolutely brilliant.

19. Jhoosier says:

But it doesn’t have mech walkers like BF 2142. I refuse to play another Battlefield until there’s one with mechs you can drive. I just decided that now, so I’ll probably forget it by tomorrow.

Honestly, I’m not sure what this Advent calendar is going to be like. The only games to come out this year that I’ve played are Minecraft and Fallout: NV. I have no idea what I did the first 9 months of the year.

20. gulag says:

Somehow I played through the entire singleplayer campaign before even popping the hood on the MP part of BC2. I hadn’t played the multiplayer part of a military shooter since BF2, and watching what was happening in CoD and similar wasn’t really driving me back to the genre.

Boy oh boy, did DICE ever get this stuff right. Gone were the parts of BF2 Mulitplayer that jsut never clicked, and in comes a raft of improvements, a great engine and Rush mode, something that every contenter from here on will have to emulate or offer an impressive alternative to. Here’s hoping that EA don’t demand daft changes to the next effort, and let DICE do what they do better than anyone else.

21. rocketman71 says:

No LAN support, pay-only dedicated servers, no modding, no mapping, and we don’t even get the same content that the consoles do. DICE promised a lot, shouted that they loved the PC, and then recanted on the week before release, when everybody had the game preordered. In my book, that puts them barely an inch above Infinity Ward in douchebagness.

Bad start for the Christmas list.

22. Razz says:

I’m sure this’ll make me sound like a complete dick, but dude, proofread your stuff :[

• Sigh says:

“this’ll
      The word you’ve entered isn’t in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.”

link to merriam-webster.com

• Razz says:

Huh? I thought “this’ll” was a perfectly acceptable abbreviation for “this will”. Of course it’s not in the dictionary, it’s not a single word. I really wasn’t trying to be a douche, but I spotted like 5 typos/oversights in the post and it was just a bit glaring to me. Also even if “this”ll” isn’t acceptable I don’t really see how that’d render my comment useless. I’m just a dude posting in some comments (not even a native English speaker), not a professional writing for a huge gaming blog for a living. I really don’t want to nitpick (I know it sounds like I’m trying to, sorry), but it just looked like this post hadn’t really been proofread which I found a bit odd. I write for a blog myself which absolutely no one reads and proofread every one of my posts at least twice out of principle. It’s just a matter of “I enjoy expressing myself in writing, so I’d like the language to be correct” if that makes sense.

Sorry for turning this into a discussion and sounding like a douche, I didn’t mean to. It was a lovely post, I’m just sort of allergic to frequent typos and stuff in professional articles I suppose :[

• DJ Phantoon says:

This’ll is perfectly acceptable… in ‘Murrica. Otherwise, it probably is not.

• MD says:

It’s fine here in Australia, and we tend to take the UK line on matters of spelling and grammar. It’s probably not the kind of contraction you’d use in a formal context, but it does exist.

• Proofreader says:

The point about proofreading is that someone else should do it. Authors are usually blind to their errors.

• Jim Rossignol says:

@Razz: That would assume I have a good enough grasp of spelling and grammar to spot the mistakes in the first place! My general wordcraft is pretty poor, and it deteriorates when I am producing as much material as I am at the moment. I know it’s an issue, but I can’t always deal with it.

You are right though, the paragraph about Rush mode was a mess, now largely fixed. (I hope.)

(“This’ll” seems fine to me.)

• Sigh says:

It is OK Razz your comment about proofreading did not make you sound like a douche but your use of the word “this’ll” does.

• Sinomatic says:

This’ll is just a contraction. Who are you, data?

• Sigh says:

Just being playful in the manner of Razz’s original post.

I guess I should be careful or this’ll get out of hand.

23. Sigh says:

To Jim and all of RPS,

I just wanted to say how much I have been looking forward to your “Games of Christmas” series of articles. It was this series that really got me interested in your site last year. I do enjoy your writing all year, but nothing compares to this. Most of the time there is soooooo much negativity and sarcasm in videogame writing (I mean that generally across the internet not here specifically) and there is soooooo much anger and ennui in comment threads that the really positive tones and genuine excitement and enthusiasm displayed in the Games of Christmas reminds me of why I enjoy videogames and some of the culture that surrounds them.

This will be a great month!

P.S. In direct contradiction to myself my wallet hates all of you at RPS. After reading a month of love letters to recent games followed by massive Steam sales…well you get where this is going.

• Thermal Ions says:

This (although I’ve been here longer, or it seems like it anyway). RPS has become the mainstay of my gaming news and where I know I’ll get honest reasoned arguments for / against individual games in both the articles and the comments.

Teamed with Steam it’s absolutely vital (or deadly to the hip pocket). It goes (A) Interesting game on Steam Sale, (B) Check RPS articles and comments, (C) Buy Game, and/or loop back to (A).

24. Jad says:

…new game-mode, rush, for which BFBC2 can largely take credit (although I believe there was a mod that did something similar?)

Wasn’t the Assault mode from UT99 similar? One team pushes forward through a series of objectives, the other defends, then they all switch? I’m sure there are some differences, obviously classes and squad spawning, etc.

Anyway, BF:BC2 was fun, but I still have to disagree with the unlock system — BC2’s is better than most, but it is still an awful, utterly newbie-unfriendly system that has no business being in FPSes. But rush, rush is fantastic and the main reason why I gritted my teeth through the first few irritating hours when my medic couldn’t heal and my engineer couldn’t repair and I was stuck picking up the better weapons that my teammates/enemies dropped. Also the sound effects and the destruction tech.

25. shoptroll says:

No Optimus Prime arm? :(

26. Phinor says:

I have to agree with the removal of prone. It’s a good thing this game is missing it even though I was against removing it before release. Prone needs to be heavily nerfed in every game. I can accept it in a game like CODBLOPS but it’s way too useful still and that leads to most players going prone the instant the see someone. It looks silly and makes the game a lot less fun to play.

My favourite thing in BFBC2 is the sound design. I was completely overwhelmed the first time I launched the beta. The audio made the game completely new experience in gaming history (for me anyway). One of my GOTY candidates and on a lesser gaming year (like 2009) BFBC2 would have easily won.

27. Steelfists says:

Am I the only one disturbed by the gigantic Colt M1911 in the first picture?

• JB says:

Maybe the pistol is normal sized and the soldier is just really small?

• DJ Phantoon says:

That’s not a Colt 1911, it’s a MEGA Colt 2011! It fires explosive rounds.

• Torgen says:

“That’s not a pistol. THIS is a pistol!”

28. President Weasel says:

I endorse your endorsement of BFBC2. Wholeheartedly. First FPS I’ve really enjoyed in ages, and I’ve had over a hundred hours of enjoyment out of it.

29. James Allen says:

1. I died a whole lot until I unlocked the best scope. That’s not cool.
    2. Too many people play as snipers. That’s also not cool.
    Other than that, I like it.

• Stick says:

“Too many people play as snipers.”

From my observations of every MP game I’ve ever played:

Changing this would require patching human nature.

• FunkyBadger says:

I love thesnipers in BFBC2, I especially love flanking round behind a row of 6 of them and repair tooling them all to death one at a time.

30. Jakkar says:

My word, no comparison to the superior physics based destruction of RF:G, in the interests of a balanced report? Got to give the bad with the good – many who’ve only played one or the other game lack this information! ;)

31. Daave says:

The M24 is second only to the Gol, but I digress, great game.

32. Frankle says:

I see so many people on here saying they love the game, but when I look at the rock paper shotgun server It’s allways a ghost town. How about we all arrange a regular day during the week for bc2?
    It’s my favourite server, allways a bunch of good folks playing “WHEN” it’s pouplated.

BTW the punkbuster mess up seems to be slowly getting sorted out now.

• Duffin says:

The problem is I can never find the bloody thing.

• Frankle says:

I find i have to alter a load of my filters just to find it. all I can suggest is just have ranked etc. ticked and search Rock Paper Shotgun.

• ata says:

The server browser is so awkward to use, try “Rock” in the search.

It’s a really good server when there’s people on, which sadly happens all to little :(

33. Nugget says:

Apart from the known problems with weapon balance and the silly unlock system where new players are denied the weapons and equipment they need to be of any use to the team (honestly what is the point of a medic who can’t heal/revive?), the biggest let down with this game is the lack of functioning VOIP.

Coordinating attacks with your squad mates is a lot more difficult without the means to communicate directly and quickly. Of course the legions of lone wolves and snipers who infest this game don’t care much for that sort of thing.

• Frankle says:

It would be nice to have a team to relly on (used to have one of those but WoW *spits on floor* has them now) but they are almost impossible to find. Saying that had a match just now with almost reasonable team work going on.

34. liq3 says:

I might like BF BC2 if it wasn’t a cleverly disguised game of hide and seek. :<

35. Casimir's Blake says:

I have absolutely no interest in playing multi-player of a game like this any more. However the single-player was a satisfying romp through jungles and deserts with some generic but likeable military chums, and felt like a “summery Modern Warfare”. There were lots of memorable moments, very few irritating sections, overall quite enjoyable.

God, why did I bother with MW2 or BLOPS? (Oh hang on, I really did give up after 3 missions of BLOPS… and straight onto Amazon with it) They both seem like hideous, tasteless overload compared to DICE’s more understated, refined – if a bit generic – shootery.

Good game, worthy of RPS’s Christmas list.

36. bl1nd says:

Yes BFBC2 ROCKS first FPS since Counter Strike that could suck me in for years without getting bored of it. And it is like this place i can go to when im bored of all the other games. We are getting now BC2 Vietnam FUCK YEAH. Well i gotta say im guilty of just buying Call of duty black ops. Well i bought the cd key of the russian version wich only costed me 25$ u can find it online and it is legit, for some reason ruskies get the game for half the price.

• apa says:

“Me too”, only my previous online team fps was the original Team Fortress (for QuakeWorld, none of that halflife n00b fest). I played pretty much nothing online – especially nothing with teams – for … 10 years? Some kind of burnout I guess :)

BC2 brought back the fun in meeting new people and shooting them!

37. Tom says:

Best game of the year!
    Also BF should be referred to as BEEF and bad company as BACON BEEF!
    Each version of Beef gets slowly better and better as they perfect the breeding process.
    I also think 2142 (future Beef) was vastly underrated titan destroying (like big sky cows) was epic when you had a good team, although if they designed them a bit better so there was less tendency for stalemates.
    Beef 2 was ok at first then it got ridiculous with all the dolphin divers.

38. Dhatz says:

this: now that i have better GPU and win7 what DX11 game sshould i pick (like BF or JC2) that have the visible impact? I already know stalker CoP isn’t worth reinstalling for the few effects as rain surfaces and interactive smoke.

• Mark says:

I can say that Just Cause 2 looks beautiful in DX10. Mafia 2 also looks quite phenomenal.

39. day says:

Good call!
    For me, the multiplayer meant HL2:Deathmatch was a thing of the past.
    Whilst not very high in rank, I sometimes yearn for new weapons an ‘ting.
    The singleplayer is totally booring and requires a big effort on my part to get any excited about shooting men the the visage.

40. Mark says:

The worst thing BF:BC2 is the shotgun + slugs kit combo. That said, I’m over it now, and I just accept it as part of the game, however plain stupid it is. Otherwise, the multiplayer is just a phenomenal experience on the PC. It’s why, like another fellow poster, I’m slightly worried by Battlefield 3, and the main series’ overemphasis on vehicles rather than infantry combat. Here, the vehicles play supporting roles to encounters, but in BF1 and 2, it’s the opposite. Personally, I love the infantry-to-vehicle balance in BC2, and I’d only want them to tweak that, rather than shift it dramatically.