Atari Returns To Ghostbusters, Slime

A new game based on the comedy wraith-wrangling movies has been revealed by Atari, via USAToday for some reason, and it’s going to be called Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime. Mmm, sanctum. Although it returns to the tale of the rookie ‘buster from the previous game, it looks like Atari (and developer Wanako) are going down a slightly different route, with this game being a top-down action game distributed via the magic of a series of tubes. There is online and offline 4-player co-op. You will be able to drive Ecto-3, too. So that’s a thing that will happen.

The original game apparently sold of a million copies, which seems like a lot. Release date: No.

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

Wot I want to say is, erm… good?

2. frags says:

Let me guess, Diablo style action?

• Mistabashi says:

Looks more like Alien Swarm style cop-op action to me.

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah I was about to post the same thing regarding Alien Swarm, then I saw your post.

Alien Swarm with ghosts! If that’s what this is actually going to be like, this could be pretty awesome.

• Mistabashi says:

Could be really cool if they made a good ‘trap’ mechanic, so you have to pin the ghosts in place with the shooty-ghost-gun thingy and someone else has to deploy a trap to actually ‘kill’ them. The Ghostbusters setup actually has a lot going for it as far as co-op play is concerned, but we’ll have to see if they can actually make a decent game out of it.

3. fuggles says:

No more cherubs please!

4. fallingmagpie says:

Alright, hands up if you read the name as ‘Wanko’ on the first pass?

5. Bioptic says:

Ooh – only need one more slightly-flagging 3rd-person action game franchise to be reimagined as a top-down co-operative game for it to formally become a trend. In fact, I reckon it’ll be one of the major trends of 2011 – publishers realise they can release immensely satisfying top-down digital download titles at a fraction of the cost of the equivalent ‘standard’ version, and everbody wins!

6. Shagittarius says:

If it’s not on a disc its not in my collection.

• Mistabashi says:

You can download it then burn it to a disc, if that makes you happy.

• Starky says:

Well enjoy your last few years of PC gaming then.

you’ve got maybe a decade left on consoles though.

• FDS21 says:

Yeah, get on the team for the big win. Digital downloads are the future… I only joined the bandwagon this year, and I haven’t looked back since. Steam, Steam, Steam, Steam, Steam!!!

7. Gabbo says:

I’ll wait and see how Atari blunders this release. As much as I want coop Ghostbusters on PC, they’ve made similar promises in the past.

8. rocketman71 says:

So, a complete game or only half a game for the PC, like the last time?

9. Dominic White says:

Don’t get your hopes too high for this. It’s by Wanako, formerly Wildtangents games division. Their last release was Assault Heroes, a completely generic and soulless twin-stick shooter. It wasn’t BAD, but I don’t think it had any particularly good elements to it either.

• Chris says:

So you’re saying it’s only going to run as a WinAMP plugin? ;-)

10. jonfitt says:

Busting makes me feel good. As does bust feeling.

11. Gabe McGrath says:

Now that I finally have a current-gen PC, I’ve started playing my “long ago purchased, but didn’t have the Ghz to play it” copy of the Ghostbusters game.

(Background info: My online handle since 1997 has been Mr_Staypuft, so I’ve been hanging out to play to do some hi-res busting.)

Unfortunately, I’m rather stuck very early on. (In the Staypuft level, the flaming gargoyles & construction ghost with the airgun keep wiping us all out). Sure, I’m playing on the hardest difficulty, but bloody hell… I always do that… any tips, hivemind?

I’d *hate* to have to restart the whole bloody game and play on medium.

Oh – and I really hate this “No you can’t save just anywhere” crap. Playing through the same bit just (with unskippable conversation) to get up to the section where I’ll probably die again is just arghghhrhghgurrrrrrrrrrrggghgh.

• TheTingler says:

I’m pretty sure you can change your difficulty. I think you might have to do it on the menu before loading your game, but I’m sure it can be done. You MAY have to restart the episode, but not the whole game. Once you get past Stay Puft you can ramp up the difficulty again.

The gargoyles should go down easy, just immediately slam them to the ground using whatever key you have as the slam function. Keep moving to avoid the bloody construction ghosts, revive a Ghostbuster whenever they go down, and remember that the top of Ecto-3 is the trap.

12. The Tupper says:

I’d be more happy if they managed to stop the current Ghostbusters game from crashing every two bloody minutes.

13. TeeJay says:

Will we get Sigourney Weaver as Dana Barrett?

14. Alistar says:

Can’t wait to see this bad boy in sale for $2.50 on Steam a few weeks after release.

15. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Aww, man, top-down? Way to ruin the cinematic style of the previous…

16. iSoLateD1 says:

Looks a bit crap compared to the last Ghostbusters game, which was quite impressive on a high end pc.

17. Gerrit says:

I hope it will be some coop 3rd person action with vehicles AND a couple of good music tracks.

18. PC_Gamer says:

If anyone can tell me how to force the international version of the original Ghostbusters to run in english instead of german on a german Win7 I would be very grateful.
    Changing country / region location doesn’t help at all and neither does config/registry muddling.

What good is an intl. version if I can’t CHOOSE ffs. :(