The RPS Bargain Bucket: Limited Activation

Something for everyone in this week’s bucket I think. For two of the selections you don’t even need to pay a thing. Magic, free games! The others are all very cheap too, although sadly for one of them something other than price gets in the way. If one bucket a week isn’t enough to satisfy your hunger for bargains, you can always find cheap games of all kinds on SavyGamer.co.uk. Here’s this weeks selection:

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena – £3.75/€5/$5
When Jim told us wot he thought of this, he gave Atari the benefit of the doubt regarding their “batshit DRM”, predicting that it would just be a temporary nuisance. Instead, it looks like the limited monthly activations is here to stay. Even at this price, I know this will turn some people off. It’s a shame, because I think the game is rather good. [ALL DRM WILL EVENTUALLY FALL, COME THE REVOLUTION – Jim.]

Gain Ground – Free
Back before computers were invented, we had these video toys that you plugged into the telly box, and got bright colours out of them when you pressed the buttons. One such video toy was the SEGA Mega Drive. This was a game for the SEGA Mega Drive that I did not play. It is a ROM packaged up into a virtual emulator that tricks a computer into performing the functions of the SEGA Mega Drive video toy. It is totally free.
Enter coupon “GIVE-SEGA-GAGR-QBL32″.
On Sunday it changes to “GIVE-SEGA-GAGR-JS8VR”.

10% off at Impulse
If you chose to take part in the Stardock survey, they will tell you that the coupon “SURVEY2010” will get you 10% off any purchase at Impulse. Now, I may have already told you, so you don’t actually need to take part in the survey, but still do anyway, I’m sure you have some useful feedback for them. You might want to take a look at the weekend buys and the sale section. Coupon expires on the 11th of February.

Majesty 2 – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
I’m not really sure what to say about Majesty 2, largely because I’ve not played it. Luckily, I know a man who has. Alec says that it’s pleasant enough, but needs to try harder. He’s not played the two expansions Kingmaker and Battles of Ardania, which are also on sale. You can find his WIT at the end of this hyperlink.

Deal of the week
Naked War – Free
Back in 2008, a man called Kieron spread the word that a game called Naked War was now free, with subscriber options. Now, in 2011, I’m telling you that the same game is now free, and the stuff that used to be for subscribers is free to everyone. Anyone can now start games without having to pay any money, isn’t that lovely? There’s a quick play guide to get you started here. You should organise some games in the forums or something.

Also of note:
Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People – £10.99/€13.99/$14.99

Remember to visit SavyGamer for obscenely cheap games all the time.

1. AwesomeDino says:

Hobo Tycoon? Sounds interesting. I’ve always wanted to have a business consisting of homeless people.

2. icupnimpn2 says:

ground… gained. Thanks Lewie!

3. Bhazor says:

The obligatory link to the Consolevania Naked War review.
    link to youtube.com

I do miss Fat Ryan.

4. tlarn says:

Majesty 2 is pretty fun when it comes to RTS’s; it’s a kingdom management game with a twist, you don’t directly control the heroes. You can influence what they do with rewards and incentives, but for the most part they hunt monsters and explore on their own.

Think of it as an RPG, but you’re taking control of the NPCs. You provide the marketplaces, the blacksmiths, the potion shops, et cetera. You’re not totally defenseless without your heroes, there’s plenty of ways of direct intervention, such as your spells, building guard towers and so on.

It isn’t for everyone, I will say that, but if you can get it on the cheap and like it, good on’ya! If you end up deciding it’s not your game, at least you didn’t dip far into your wallet for it!

5. Centy says:

Some of us were gaming on PC long before the Mega Drive came along.

6. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I remember Naked War.

To be precise, I remember those vile illustrations. Nightmare fuel.

7. djbriandamage says:

Having played both the original and remade Riddick game, I DEFINITELY recommend looking for the original. It performs better, the voice acting is better (really), and its tutorial doesn’t condescend. I actually think the graphics are superior in the original as well. Plus, no activation limits!

• Vandelay says:

Are you talking about original Riddick versus Dark Athena or original Riddick versus updated Riddick? Why did they re-record all the voice acting and change the tutorial? I thought it was supposed to be exactly the same game, just with updated graphics.

Not played either, so I picked this up yesterday. Yet to play though.

• Dominic White says:

I have no idea what that dude is talking about. As far as I can see, the updated Butcher Bay is exactly the same as the original, only with higher-res textures and some tuned up character models. Totally don’t remember any condescending tutorial, either. Voice acting seems unchanged, too.

And the Dark Athena campaign is an interesting change of pace, too. Maybe not quite as refined as Butcher Bay, but it alternates between open-plan assassination areas (lots of dudes to kill, no set pattern to do it in) and straight shooter parts.

• ZIGS says:

Escape From Butcher Bay must be one of the best games I have ever played. Ever

• RegisteredUser says:

@ZIGS

Then I feel very, very sad for you.

8. Carra says:

Majesty 2 is a strange beast. I can see the design flaws in the game. The heroes are too similar to each other. Some of the upgrade paths (grouping for example) take a ridiculous amount of time to get. And to win some missions you have need some pre-knowledge you can only get by playing the game twice.

But… all of that didn’t stop me from spending hours playing through it and its expansions. It’s tons of fun to watch your heroes buy a new sword and go off to kill those damn goblins. Definitely worth checking out.