The RPS Omnibus 2.0

Back!

A long, long time ago, I can still remember, the RPS Omnibus used to make me smile, And I know, that if I had my chance, I could make those people click through. And maybe they’d be happy, for a while.

But all those Saturdays made me shiver, with every post I’d deliver. Very few comments on the doorstep, I couldn’t take one more step.

But hell, let’s see what happens this time around. For those who don’t read us regularly or suffer from short-term memory loss, here’s the best stuff we’ve posted over the last week…

• The IGF student showcase winners were announced. You can and should play them all.
  • Quintin splurged his brain matter all over one of the best puzzle games in years, Space Chem.
  • John wasn’t terribly surprised about any of the most successful PC games of 2010.
  • One man’s animated riposte to a negative comment about his Flash game gave the entire internet megalaughs. “Bee-ah-koo-ahz…
  • Minecraft has cake. And there was much rejoicing. Then the game reached one million users, and Notch probably did even more rejoicing.
  • Age of Decadence remains a point of some debate.
  • Cliff ‘Gratuitous Space Battles’ Harris’ World of Love talk is an absolute must-watch for anyone even remotely interested in indie games – and especially for anyone who is/hopes to make one.
  • Stalker 2 details: this game needs to be on all our PCs right now, please.
  • John’s still a bit pissed about that Tomb Raider screenshot drama.
  • Gemini Rue looks amazing, basically.
  • It’s Mod News! You know Mod News – it’s that news post all about mods.
  • Nifflas has blessed us with another game. Hooray!
  • Indie brain-bender Tealy and Orangey is pretty special, and not because its name references the only two colours used in Michael Bay movies.
  • What if there was no friction in GTA 4?
  • What would Zombie Cow’s sadly cancelled third Dan and Ben game have been like? John prised the details from their cold, undead bovine hands.
  • Here’s what’s next for the RPS Game Club. Wanna play?
  • The creator of Fract explains all. Well, some. “Explains all” is the most abused phrase in the English language.
  • Jordan Mechner’s The Last Express is unexpectedly back. Choo!
  • Alec isn’t afraid of the dark, and has a request to make of game developers. Plus, half the comments thread didn’t understand how screenshots differ from reality.
  • Semi-classic 2002 RPG Arx Fatalis has been given the kiss of life by its creators.
  • And finally, this man has invented glasses-free 3D gamings. Watching the comments thread is hilarious/horrifying.

That’s it! Hopefully the bus will pull into town again next week, but we’ll see. IS THIS USEFUL TO YOU?

1. Inglourious Badger says:

Hmmm, I kind of read it all already. Sorry Alec! Maybe if you just did it the weeks I’m not near my computer most days? I’ll let you know when i need a roundup

Andy_Panthro says:

Looks more like an Omnivan…

3. Alex Bakke says:

I myself have read everything already here, but that’s because I’m a jobless peasant who still goes to sixth form – I can see its use to people not able to check regularly.

• Ezhar says:

Busy people have RSS feeds to skim and cherrypick the articles to read. But I do like the image on this one :)

4. KindredPhantom says:

Oh wow the omnibus is back, welcome back friend and I am glad to see you have shaken those hitch hickers.

Kirrus says:

Already seen at least one gem I missed, cheers, handy! :)

.. Commenting too quickly :(

6. Coded_One says:

I actually really appreciate this! There were one or two stories that I missed that I’ll go back to read :)

7. Seymour says:

Well I for one picked up a few that slipped through the net. Don’t let the nay-sayers get you down man. It is a useful little feature, and I for one am glad to see it return. I’m not certain why I so militantly want to defend it though… I do have a habit of rooting for the underdog…

• Lilliput King says:

Yeah, me too. Come to think of it, the RPS omnibus is the best thing on RPS. It should probably be in the omnibus.

8. Flimgoblin says:

Between Space Chem and work I’ve had no time to read RPS this week (well past the point of reading about Space Chem) so yes tis good.

9. Vinraith says:

With your overall posting volume having increased, and the time I have to read the site having decreased, this is really quite handy.

10. balooba says:

sweet wheels

11. PleasingFungus says:

If the OMNIBUS 2.0 is a success, will more hitchhikers accumulate?

I’m filled with excitement and anticipation!

12. trooperdx3117 says:

Definitely useful, the only time I have anymore to read RPS is during the weekend ad it can be pretty tedious in all honesty to keep scrolling back through pages

13. golden_worm says:

Maybe useful.

If it was a forum post it may generate more comments, as the forum is currently a little disconnected from the front page. Finding a relevant link would become much easier.

Could also include a best of the week’s comments, or is that just far to much trouble?

14. Navagon says:

Ah yes, the precious Tomb Raider screenshots. Only Andrew Reiner is allowed to covet them.

15. Chakawi says:

Thanks Alec, I don’t comment much but I read a lot. This is fun for quiet saturdays like this one!

16. Chopper says:

Pretty useful, I’d say.

Is it a ‘best of’ or just a handy listing of all the articles that appeared? If the former, then maybe be a bit more rigorous with the selection. That Minecraft Cake article was pretty underwhelming even the first time round…no offence etc and so forth…

17. mandrill says:

Just to re-iterate: the spec-less 3d thing is a hoax.

18. MadTinkerer says:

So wait: who doesn’t obsessively check RPS every morning and evening? And sometimes in the afternoon and middle of the night? Weirdos.

19. The Tupper says:

I think re-covering old news is a shameless waste of resources. Don’t you people know that one day we’ll run out of Internet?

And then where will we be? Eh? EH?!?

20. yhancik says:

IT IS USEFUL TO ME (sometimes)
    (but only for that sometimes, I’m happy the omniback is bus)

21. Matt says:

This was useful to me, since I can’t be arsed to check the site multiple times a day, nor click the “Older Entries” button.

Thanks!

22. President Weasel says:

Can I use my oyster card on this omnibus? I don’t want to have to fiddle around with the correct change.
    Free, you say? Well then, I shall hop on and see where I end up.

23. phenom_x8 says:

what about those tomb raider screenshot problem with G.I? Damn, how can I miss those news a few days later.

24. The Army of None says:

Oh my, this is interesting. I still will be reading the site every day, but this reminds me to link certain articles to people for weekend reading.

25. Fraser Allison says:

I recently, reluctantly, decided that having RPS in my RSS reader was chewing up too much of my time, and I’ve almost stopped reading the site as a result. But I’d be happy to drop in once a week to check out the highlights, as selected by the Omniscient Bus. I still follow the RPS twitter account, so if it tweeted each week when the omnibus came out, that would regain the site at least one regular reader. Maybe there are more people like me?

• The Tupper says:

Not knowing much about Facespace, Mybook or this ‘RSS’ thing I may be getting the wrong end of this, but Fraser – are you saying that you really are getting too much of a good thing?

26. Sagan says:

I have read all of these, but apparently I hadn’t realized before that Cliff Harris was the important talk among the World of Love talks. I had only watched parts of the other two. Watched Cliff Harris’ talk now, and would agree that everyone interested in indie development should watch it.

Also, seeing as I’m gonna be much more busy soon, I actually appreciate a round-up of the most important stuff.

27. Lambchops says:

All I know about Tomb Raider screen shots is that John definitely SHOWED THEM.

28. RegisteredUser says:

I am still missing a permalinked (similiar to the interviews) “omnibus” of all your free-to-play online game mentions, at the very least of the more AAA sort and ideally also including the flash / browser based ones that are great.

I really, really wish you would do something like this, as figuring out a good online game that is also F2P (and not in a brutally imbalanced way ideally) is like trying to find a heterosexual catholic priest in the vatican(needle+haystack are sooooo pre-pedobear).

• RegisteredUser says:

That lists any and all free games(of which there are over 9000), and not speficially only the MMORPG / MMOFPS etc type which I detailed.

Those are fiendishly hard to sort through / weed out the utterly bad / imbalanced ones from and could use a site which does a fair job of listing/talking about them.

So far no luck.

29. Phydaux says:

The RSS feed more than covers it for me. I’ll be skipping over this one in the future. :)

30. jalf says:

I like omnibuses! Thanks for bringing it back.

31. Will Tomas says:

The Omnibus was great! I even remember the Om-nom-nomibus joke…

Welcome again!