The RPS Bargain Bucket: Coupon Application

And finally, it’s time for the bargain bucket. Your weekly dose of cheap PC downloads. It’s slim pickings this week, but there’s still deals worth your attention, and a deviation from usual contents of the bucket towards the end. Remember to visit SavyGamer.co.uk whenever you feel like blowing some cash on some cheap games.

Master of Orion Collection – £3.07/€3.59/$4.89
Apply coupon “SURVEY2010″ to get this price.
This includes the first, second and third MoO games, which is all of them. I know very little about these game, so instead I am going to talk about a few other things. The USA and EU prices here are estimates, since it won’t tell me what the Dollar and Euro prices actually are with the coupon applied. Also, the coupon was given out as a thank you for taking part in the stardock survey, but it seems it’s one coupon for universal use. Not sure if it can be used more than once on one account though.

Cyan games bundle – £10.59/€12.44/$16.95
Includes (and individual prices):
The Manhole: Masterpiece Edition – £2.62/€3.08/$4.19
Myst: Masterpiece Edition – £2.62/€3.08/$4.19
Real Myst – £2.62/€3.08/$4.19
Riven – £2.62/€3.08/$4.19
URU: Complete Chronicles – £4.37/€5.13/$6.99
John went into great detail about his feelings for Myst over at Eurogamer.

Dead Space – £5.10/€5.10/$6.80
Not quite as cheap as it should be perhaps, what with the sequel being just around the corner. There is a deal where you save more money on DS1 by buying DS2 at the same time, but EA are playing a joke on everyone and pricing the Steam version of Dead Space 2 at £30 at release, when the shiny plastic disc version is available for £20. Here’s Alec’s retrospective of the first game.

Deal of the week
Love [6 months] – £8.74/€10/$13.62
Quinns gave us a massive update on this the other day, and it sounds a bit fascinating. This is how Eskil describes it:

This is the game we dreamt about 20 years ago. An open world, where the game’s story follows your actions rather than you following the game’s story. The ability to do whatever you want, and the game just responds.

His World of Love presentation is worth watching too, as he shows off some of the more clever bits of how he designed the game.

Also of note:
Save 20% on horror games at D2D.

In addition to the downloads: Shiny plastic discs!
There’s currently a promotion on at Zavvi that allows you to get 15% off any item under £100. This means a lot of their DVD-ROM based preorders are fantastically cheap. The likes of Brink, Rage, Duke Nukem Forver, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Total War: Shogun 2: Total War and Mass Effect 3 are all in the £21-£23/€25-€28 price range. Instructions on how to get the coupons can be found here, and details on the PC retail discounts that are worth your attention are here. It’s worth remembering that Zavvi haven’t got a particularly good track record for delivery times and customer service, you will get your games, but they might be a week or two late, and emailing them might not be much help. It seems the trend of PC games being cheaper than console versions is continuing, probably amplified by competition on PC retail from digital distribution. Most major PC games are available for under £25 at release these days, which wasn’t the case 5 years ago.

Remember to visit SavyGamer.co.uk for gaming discounts across all platforms.

1. SquareWheel says:

Any opinions on Love? I watched the presentation before and tried it during the free weekend, but really I still have no idea what it’s about.

• Wilson says:

I was gonna ask people the same thing. I paid for some time in game a while back, but it didn’t really do anything for me. I found the graphics very confusing, and couldn’t find much game in there. That was a while back, so things may well have changed. I’d be dubious about paying again though. Will probably wait for another free trial.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

I just can’t see myself paying for something that my mom and girlfriend (supposedly)give me for free.

• Deano2099 says:

Quinns’ update linked in the story gives a great overview and info on how it’s changed in the past year.

2. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

A note on the Zavvi stuff: do not expect their pre-orders to arrive on release day.

The savings are excellent, to be sure, but the last time I pre-ordered with them (for New Vegas) the game arrived a week late, despite their claims that I should expect it on time. Personally, I think the saving was worth the wait, but you may not feel the same.

• Lewie Procter says:

Thanks, I did mean to mention this, but forgot.

Some people have recently reported receiving preorders before/on release day recently, so perhaps they have improved a bit.

• Sam says:

Is this for Dead Space 2? I’m thinking of pre ordering that and would like it know if it would arrive on the friday or saturday.

• Mark says:

TheGameCollection.net are doing a deal on Dead Space 2 for £19.99

link to thegamecollection.net

I’ve bought off them before. Seem okay.

3. Vinraith says:

If Love weren’t subscription-based (and I was sure it had proper support/was fun with single player or 2 player co-op on a private server) I’d be all over it.

• SquareWheel says:

Yeah, me too. I hate the idea of subscriptions.

• Dave says:

Note that £8.74/€10/$13.62 nets you 6 months of play. Since I rarely play a game for more than 6 months (even heavy RPGs like Baldur’s Gate), that seems like a great deal to me.

• Vinraith says:

@Dave

It’s less about the cost (clearly trivial, in this case) and more about the implications for the design.

• tanith says:

Yeah, I think it would be a no-braine if there weren’t any subscriptions.

I never play MMO’s or subscription-based games because I never know when I would have time.
      I can buy a one-month subscription and realise a few days later that I will have absolutely no time to play it that month.

The system ABP used was interesting. If I understood it correctly it used ingame time instead of real time. The downside was that it was too expensive. :\

4. Mr Chug says:

I miss the days when Steam was in dollars and was almost always cheaper than buying a hard copy. Now, outside of their sales, it’s rare for a new premium game to be anything less than £30, whilst Amazon and Zavvi are offering very nice pre-order deals. I’ve got Brink, Shogun 2, Diablo 3 and Ass Cred Bros 2 pre-ordered for about £85 total after this coupon deal (with Diablo on Amazon).

• Sam says:

Yeah, it would be ridiculous how many more sales they would get if they dropped the price from £30 to £25 (ps. I know Steam doesn’t set prices, talking to publishers).

• Carra says:

The whole “it’s not Valves fault” makes no sense.

I’ve seen them post left 4 dead for twice the price in Euros as in pounds or dollars.

5. SirKicksalot says:

I just noticed the US D2D has a rental program: link to blog.direct2drive.com
    This is awesome!

• omicron1 says:

Aye, that rental program is interesting. It even gives ya $5 credit towards buying the game afterwards… problem is, it’s not available on everything (mostly 30-hour RPGs at present), so I can’t use it to run through the singleplayer campaign of, say, Black Ops at a reasonable price.

6. Oak says:

Europa Universalis 3 “Complete” and the Heir to the Throne expansion are 80% off on Steam.

7. omicron1 says:

On the other hand, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2, and a lot of other stuff are getting priced at $60 across the board – through what I can only think of as “arrogance.” In other words, even though it costs less money to make it on the PC (and even less on Steam) the big companies know that they’ll get a lot of people buying it regardless, so they price it higher than it needs to be, probably pocketing the difference. One sees EA, Activision, Bethesda, and Ubisoft doing this; Microsoft not so much (although MS doesn’t exactly release much on their orphaned platform) and smaller/indie publishers not at all.

• Oak says:

Modern Warfare 2 forced it into acceptance; why wouldn’t they take advantage of this?

• omicron1 says:

No reason… I’d like to think all the angry tweets I blasted at Bioware for their part in the whole affair might’ve caused some rethinking on their part, but almost certainly the business suits were responsible for the final decision while the (possibly more reasonable) developers had little say.

• Big Murray says:

I will never, ever, ever pay more than £30 for a game. Ever.

If it’s more, I’ll just be picking it up second-hand.

• jaheira says:

It’s not “arrogance” it’s maximizing revenue (or attempting to). If you don’t think the game is worth what is being charged don’t buy it.

• Kadayi says:

Personally I’m ok with AAA games at release being £30, especially ones that I know I’m going to sink a bucket load of hours into it. If it’s a 5 – 7 SP hour game on the other hand, then I’m expecting it to come in at a lower price (thus why I’ve not picked up CoDBlops).

Also, the price of games has actually come down over the years: –

link to arstechnica.com

I’m not sure whether this begrudging is a result of ‘everything is free on the internet’ conditioning, or a misbegotten belief that game development is still the hugely profitable exercise it used to be. Back when Doom made it’s creators overnight millionaires, their entire development team was less than 10 individuals. Nowadays development teams are often 10 or 20 times that number, and the overheads considerably more.

8. Moth Bones says:

King Arthur £3.74 and The Saxons expansion £1.74 at Gamersgate, which was enough to convince me.

9. malkav11 says:

I really feel like for $60 (which, alas, is the going price for the disc version also in America) we should be getting Dead Space 1 for free.

10. Hatsworth says:

Steam pricing for new games is ridiculous in europe. Dead Space 2 as an example is even worse outside the UK; 42.5£.

11. Sobric says:

Master of Orion 2 is a fantastic game – a PC gaming great even. Not sure on the other two, but I hear MoO 3 is a bit rubbish.

• sinister agent says:

The third one is a vastly better game than the legions of frothing fanboys would have you believe. It is very different to the first two, however, and all about macromanagement. You basically need to delegate a lot of routine stuff to the AI, and it gives you some robust tools to let you do so. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

However, it does have significant faults (which are mostly fixed by patching and/or basic mods).

The diplomacy is buggy and gives far too little feedback – you’ll often not know why exactly someone is unhappy with you, which is frustrating.

The tactical battles are woefully poor and it’s best to skip even a simple low-scale one, because they’re borderline unplayable.

The shipyard doesn’t automatically add new components to your designs when you’ve researched them, so if you’re in a close arms race, you may need to spend five minutes laboriously updating all your designs every time you make a breakthrough.

The colony AI is obsessed with building transports, which are useless in the vast majority of situations (but vital in a few). That’s best solved by deleting transport designs and only building them manually, but it’s still an annoyance.

It’s a very hands-off game once your empire takes off, but it’s actually a better game for it – rather than painstakingly going through 30 planets every turn tweaking every last build order, you can give the colonies a framework and let them get on with it, only coming back to check up on them when they’re in a strategically important place. I’ve not played anything that feels like running an empire through assistants – most other games feel like running an empire despite the interference of some incompetents.

12. MrSafin says:

I like your drawing!

• noodlecake says:

Yeah. I just came on and I was wondering if there was gonna be any reference to the drawing! This should totally be the next big driving sim. With that cover and graphics style. :)

• BooleanBob says:

Are you sure it’s a sim and not a crime.. inal… criminal sandboxemup? ‘Cus from where I’m sitting it definitely looks like Kieron has stolen Lewie’s car.

13. sacred_flame101 says:

25% extra off 1 2 3 KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby) with the coupon code ADogAteMyNose bringing it down to $7.46 us

20% off frozen synapse with the code ILIKESURFING

14. adonf says:

What, 32 comments and no bad joke about the manhole ? You guys got really mature overnight!

15. mcwizardry says:

Dead Space 2 is £23.96 on Direct2Drive UK during this weekend if you use the code “survive” during checkout.

16. Talorc says:

Super Tempted to use this to order the Witcher 2 collectors edition from Zavvi. They seem to be price comparable with HMV etc, so 15% off would be awesome. (This would be shipping from UK to Aus, so would take forever to turn up, but eh)

My usual preferred UK store, Game.co.uk, seems to be sold out of collectors editions!

• Talorc says:

And ordered :-) Thanks Lewie! Awesome, saved 10 quid (and got the collectors about $50 cheaper than local retail). All up paying the same I would have for a new release retail game in Australia (~ $99) a few years back, but getting awesome lootz in the box :-)

17. UK_John says:

I am torn as a PC gamer. I don’t have much money, so am glad PC games seem to be getting cheaper quicker, but on the other hand I know this is because PC gaming is dying a slow death when it comes to PC centric AAA games. The best we get, in my opinion, are the AA games from Europe, like The Witcher 2 and Two Worlds II. There still hasn’t been anything to touch the Russian genius that is Space Rangers 2: The Dominator’s!