Blocks & Experience Points: Wind & Water

Puzzle/RPG hybrid Wind and Water is, I’m told, a most excellent game. I’m currently too knee deep in the also excellent Atom Zombie Smasher (thoughts soon) to wade into it, but as a few people have requested that the RPS sentinel gaze turn its way, I will at least note its recent free PC release here, so that you may enjoy it forthwith.

An indie title originally created by a Costa Rican developer for the curious, cult classic GP2X handheld, it picked up a few nominations and awards and even ended up on the strangely undying Dreamcast. Now it’s on PC, and free.

The devs claim that it’s “one of the most extensive, challenging, and complex puzzle games ever” and that you’ll need between 30 and 100 hours to crack its RPG/puzzle hybrid play.

While it is free in its current form, if you stump up $10 they’ll craft a personalised in-game avatar for you. Which is remarkably sweet of them. Go, play it! Explore and challenge its bold claims! I hope to too, once I have atom-smashed all these zombies.

Here’s what it looks like on GP2X, by the way:

From this site

1. CoyoteTheClever says:

Looks incredibly neat! Thanks Alec, I’ll definitely play this when I get home :)

2. ZIGS says:

It sure looks… weeaboo

• Dominic White says:

No. We don’t do that here. Leave it on 4ch.

• LionsPhil says:

Suffer not the bobble-headed mutant to live?

Phasma Felis says:

I wouldn’t use the stupid 4chan lingo, but there sure is a lot of Japanese for a game written in English by a Costa Rican guy.

• Pemptus says:

“Weaboo” seems like a perfect word to describe this, 4chan or not.

• YuanHao says:

1. We’re half-Chinese half-Costa Rican (but mostly influenced to our Asian culture)
      2. We speak Japanese. In fact we both speak English, Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese. (I also happen to speak a decent level of Portuguese, French, and Italian).
      3. The game is in both English and Japanese :D and was released in Japan, manual pic for example: link to wind-water.net
      4. The Asian theme is because the game was thought for the Korean/Asian market

Still, weaboo sounds funny and if you played the game you’ll kinda find it referenced on the Story Mode :D

3. Gabe McGrath says:

Heh, I didn’t realise I owned a “curious, cult classic handheld”, until today!

I love my GP2X; it’s perfect for a bit of MAMEage… Mr Do, Top Gunner or Psycho-Nics Oscar often fit the bill nicely.
    (And I don’t have to faff around with ‘cracking’ my handheld – it’s built for this kinda thing)

Stompywitch says:

Mine’s sat somewhere on the shelf above me, but I think the last time I used it was for some Tecmo Super Bowl this time last year.

Also, GO PACKERS. That is all.

(I totally didn’t pick an American Football team based on the Blood Bowl novels. No, not me.)

4. Lavs says:

“one of the most extensive, challenging, and complex puzzle games ever”

..it’s a match 4.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

No. It’s a match 4 with anime characters.

• Shadram says:

It’s Bejewelled with a world map. Unless I’m missing something? :s

• DeepSleeper says:

It is, in fact, pretty tough and they’ve really pushed what you can do with block-matching. I’ve never seen a game of quite this type before, it’s almost Panel de Pon but with an extra complexity layer.

I’m growing very fond of it.

• pakoito says:

It has a couple more of gameplay layers than match four, also vs play which most puzzles nowadays lack.

By the way, the game is from 2006ish, while Bejewelled Twist is from 2008…

5. trjp says:

To save other people banging their head on the desk – the keys for the ‘Enter Name’ bit are cursors to move, ‘S’ to accept and ‘A’ to backup.

No, you can’t just enter your name on the keyboard attached to EVERY pc – that would be too easy and not retro…

Oh – Enter sometimes does things – other times not – basically bang your head on the keyboard for results…

• Chris D says:

Thanks for that. After banging my head against the keyboard for a bit I gave up and decided it obviously didn’t want me to play it that badly. Now I may give it another try tomorrow.

• pakoito says:

It’s a direct port from the original Gp2x, even the A-B bindings are swapped around and B is for Accept and A cancels.

I’m playing with a pad FYI but that part was hardcoded for keyboard :(

• YuanHao says:

Alec: Thanks for the news! It really does helps us to get the game known =)

Hai guys, sorry about that. Actually, the screen was so trivial that I didn’t even test it on PC, but adding keyboard support for PC would definitely be nice. Nice suggestion!

Also, about the keys, sorry about the keyboard head banging, me, I prefer ramming it with my hands (I actually remember doing that when Windows ME stuck)

I’ve uploaded a new version of the game where the game keys appear on the CONFIG screen so that you guys can see them, and also, the use of ENTER and BACKSPACE for the name selection screen. Nice suggestion trjp, will definitely try to add the rest of the keys for the name on these days.

New version: link to wind-water.net

(Hope I can say this here >>) Also, you can get a free Full Set Custom Avatar, participating is very easy, more info about it here: link to forum.wind-water.net

• amandachen says:

How about using the mouse. I’d like to be able to use left and right mouse buttons to rotate. Obviously it’s nontrivial to figure out mouse movement for the cursor, but that would rock.

Doesn’t Gyromancer have a similar mechanic? I can’t remember how the controls work for that.

• Tacroy says:

Gyromancer only lets you rotate in one direction, unless you use a powerup (a magic mirror, natch).

Mouse rotation is like the hardest human interface thing ever.

• amandachen says:

Yeah, part of the game’s charm is “Cool, I’m playing a clunky little console game on my PC”. If it got polished up, it would just be a clunky bejeweled twist/gyromancer/galactrix clone.

• pakoito says:

Still trolling, Amandachen?

• amandachen says:

you’re the one sending me the facebook messages? quit pestering me

6. Comradebluesky says:

For any interested parties, one possible translation of the characters at the top is “The Great War Between Wind and Water, the Five Elements, and Space-Time.” It would be some sort of civil war, see, since wind and water are *part* of the Five Elements, but that probably just makes it more exciting.

7. DeepSleeper says:

Hmm.

Now I’m getting an instant crash-to-desktop any time I try to enter stage B-08.

Just saying, since I saw the dev in here earlier.

• YuanHao says:

Hi,

Now that is a weird bug. What happens exactly? You enter B08 and before the stage appears the game window gets closed?

Are you *sure* it’s not part of the game? :)

Anyway, if the error always happens and you aren’t able to keep on going, I’d be interested to know if you can send us your save file as I just tested said stage and others who have played it have not reported it.

What OS are you using? (And, are you playing the game in English?)

If you prefer you can email me at: contact@yuanworks.com

• DeepSleeper says:

That is in fact exactly what happens. At first I did wonder if it was part of the game, as that’s right after the glitches start appearing in Amy’s portrait, but it’s crashed out four times now and it just seems confusing.

Do you think checking if it happens on the 1.04 version might help?

I’ll get together as much information as I can and send it to you first thing tomorrow.

• YuanHao says:

Okay, I found the sucker, thanks for the report! =)

It was a bad allocation (4 bytes damn it!), here’s the EXE file:

link to yuanworks.s3.amazonaws.com

Just unzip it to your “/program files/wind and water puzzle battles” directory.

I am uploading the correct version right now, thanks a lot for pointing it out! Very ironic that amy glitches and the game crashes, LOL!

Turns out I couldn’t reproduce it since memory allocations tend to do *very* weird stuff (actually, simply entering another stage, or running another application may had made the error undetectable). Let me know if it fixes it!

8. Bluepixie says:

Hell yes! I loved it on the GP2X but haven’t picked it up in awhile, this makes it all the more accessible!

9. Calabi says:

Reminds me of Super Puzzle Fighter and that was a good game.

10. Brian Lee says:

Fantastic, I was looking for such a complex game around. Online Free Puzzle Games are always fun to Play.

Connect 4 and MindJolt’s Cube Crasher are the best ones around.

11. squareking says: