Supercell’s Gunshine Backed By Harrison

Orange Ed-209 must be stopped!
Nice headline, Rossignol, but what does it mean? That is what you are thinking, right? Well it means this: Supercell, who are a small Finnish dev team made up of Remedy and Digital Chocolate veterans, are making a browser-based MMO called Gunshine. It’s the first project to be backed by Phil “He’s Done Some Games Industry Stuff” Harrison’s London Venture Partners. It also doesn’t look half bad, as you can see from the trailer below. It’s a four-player co-op in a cartoon cyberpunk world, with an apparently “endless” amount of quests. The model looks fairly standard (tank, damage, healer) so hopefully that will make for a smooth experience. Here’s the interesting bit, however: “Asynchronous multiplayer mode – no friends online when you need them most? Not to worry, you can still borrow your friends’ characters; the AI will emulate their playing style while you decide their overall tactics.”

Intriguing. I’ll find out some more about this soon. The game is apparently in a closed beta, so it might be worth signing up, which you have to do via the Facebook. (UPDATE: You do not have to have Facebook to play, but that’s the interface for inviting friends, and it’s in working Flash, which they apparently do not count as a plugin.)

1. ChainsawHands says:

the AI will emulate their playing style while you decide their overall tactics
    So the game will learn how to be a bad healer from John Walker?

2. CMaster says:

The facebook thing concerns me.
    I have “Facebook Platform” disabled because well, it’s about as secure as a broken seive. Having my accoutn used to send spam once through no fualt of my own was enough to make me refuse to ever reactivate it.
    So basically my concern is will it be possible to play it without facebook link? Because it could be interesting. I guess the alternative would be a second facebook acount but that’s faff in many new ways. If it’s beta access only restricted to facebook likes then that isn’t really an issue I guess.
    Also – no plugins? Is this all done with javascript then?

• Jim Rossignol says:

Does sound a bit… impossible, doesn’t it? I will ask.

• Hoaxfish says:

I’d say it looks like Java , or maybe Unity, if it weren’t for that “no plugins” line.

I’d also say it looks a bit turned-based, even though the trailer is apparently showing real-time… but then trailers are prone to lying (and I know at least one other turn-based game whose trailer shows apparent real-time action).

• JohnnyMaverik says:

“Is this all done with javascript then?”

I can’t think of any other way that could be done, although I’m no programmer so what do I know (hint: bugger all except I can’t think of any other browser based game that doesn’t require any plug-ins that isn’t all done with Javascript).

Looks pretty cool at any rate…

• Norskov says:

HTML 5 with some Java Script perhaps? I saw some examples of HTML 5 games last year, but they looked inferior to this. I have no experience working with HTML 5 so I’m not really sure what it’s capable of now.

• ithree says:

No Facebook ‘needed’

Do I need a Facebook account to play the game?
      No, that is not required – although we highly recommend it for the ultimate Gunshine.net experience. You can create an account for Gunshine.net and later on connect it to your Facebook account for a better gaming experience with your friends.

(link to gunshine.net)

• medwards says:

So, as a developer (though not in the games end of the pool), I can say there isn’t anything here which isn’t possible in javascript BUT the amount of animation/interactions going on in the screen seem like they would hog a browser pretty bad even on an OK machine (negating the entire point of no-plugins). I’ve been out of the loop on the web-end of things so maybe HTML5 introduces some nice in-browser support for animations and increasingly there are moves to let javascript leverage your video card but like others I feel like this is far further along the technology curve than those projects are at.

• Hoaxfish says:

Well, HTML5 hasn’t really done that much. There’re already animation related webstandards, but like other things, the uptake isn’t really there.

Looking through their forum’s bug report section it looks like this is Javascript. Thankfully part of the browser-wars seems to be quite focused on making javascript as fast as possible (benchmarks & graphs a-go-go).

• Hoaxfish says:

just got into the beta…. it uses Flash

• wcanyon says:

If you’re curious what the current “best in breed” for HTML5 browser games is, check out: link to pirateslovedaisies.com. All HTML5 and JS.

3. stahlwerk says:

Here comes the gun, little darling,
    here comes the gun, and I say:
    “it’s alright.”

Tom-INH says:

They could do a medieval themed one called My Sweet Sword.

Would have to be single player though – no 4 player co-op.

4. pupsikaso says:

Via Facebook? F* right off Gunshine. Hope they aren’t as naive when they decide to release the game.

• Dominic White says:

Yes, how naive of them to support Facebook. I mean, nobody uses that. And for games, even? That’s just ridiculous!

5. Danny says:

I’m definitely not going to play this with my Facebook account linked to it.

Imagine how my colleagues would look at me after finding out, my absolute authority would be gone, obviously.

• TeeJay says:

I have two Facebook accounts: one with my real name (links to family, close friends, ‘respectable’ people) and another using a nickname (links to promoters, djs, sound systems, more random people and stupid and ‘out-there’ stuff).

6. Tei says:

“No plugins”.

hehehe…

From the look of it, is ‘good’ old flash, but can be anything, like java.
    I have nothing against Flash for games, but this is the internet :D

And the game looks great!. I can’t wait.

7. Stitched says:

So 4 player co-op is now considered a “Massive Multiplayer Online” game?

• Hoaxfish says:

I think “massive” has been extended to “lots of people to group with” rather than simultaneously play together. It is a little weak.

With the uptake of instancing etc, “proper” MMOs aren’t exactly sticking to it either.

8. Stitched says:

And it works in Flash? Hmmm…

9. thecrius says:

BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHFACEBOOKBLAHBL WHAT?
    *Watching better*

They really said “facebook”.
    /facepalm

next?

• klooonk says:

Investigate much? On their site it seems like you CAN use facebook to log in and do this and that but you don’t HAVE to use the facebook stuff for anything..

• Ohle says:

Yep, logging in via Facebook just makes it easier to invite friends into game sessions. It’s optional, and unlike a lot of other social games, it doesn’t even push to your FB feed unless you tell it to. Don’t let the Facebook stuff dissuade you… it’s quite a lot of fun. (yes, I’m doing PR on the game)

10. sarkarati says:

woah! genesis shadowrun for facebook!

11. gun-shine says:

Check out the Unofficial Gunshine Forums here for tricks & tips, guides and walk-throughs.