£2 + £2 = £5 (The RPS Bargain Bucket.)

Have you been paying attention? You must know the drill by now. Here is your weekly serving of the cheapest and best games that the internet has to offer this weekend, click on the following links, and you get to swap not very much money for a lot of game. Check SavyGamer.co.uk whenever you want to know what games are cheap right now across all formats. Here’s this week’s selection.

Magicka – £4.90/€5.81/$7.96
Apply coupon “hailtothechief”. Registers on Steam.
Why the hell would should you be interested in a game called Magicka? The triple threat of Quinns, Alec & John tell you why here and here. Those wordthinks are nearly a month old now, so perhaps the mega buggy bug bugs have been squished out of the .exe by now? I had a quick whirl of it for the first time this morning, and encountered a couple of minor bugs in the first few minutes.

MX v ATV: Reflex – £2.92/€3.46/$4.74
Apply coupon “vatfree”. Registers on Steam.
I liked the demo of this, although a quick search seems to indicate that THQ never bothered putting out a demo for windows based computer terminals. On the Xbox three hundred and sixty, you use one stick to steer your MX or your ATV and the other stick to balance your dude. Leaning into turns, and getting extra height on jumps by throwing your weight around is several different flavours of fun. Quite a pretty game too.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines – £6/$9.49
Apply coupon “vatfree”. UK/North America only.
This used to get discounted somewhere every Halloween, but if memory serves me well, it’s not been been heavily discounted for about 3 years now. Perhaps the ongoing mega-support the utterly brillaint nerds on the internet behind the unofficial patches are directly responsible for it retaining it’s value. Jim tells you why this game is a thing worth caring about here, and Kieron does his thing on it here.

Painkiller: Redemption – £4.04/€4.80/$6.57
Apply coupon “SURVEY2010”.
I remember a few people seemed interested in getting more Painkiller at the already low RRP, but you can save an additional 10% using the survey coupon (which expires next weekend). Alec brought us the skinny on this second mod-turned-expandalone for Painkiller. The previous painkiller product that started off as a mod seemed to be a bit unpopular, but perhaps this one will be better, and the low low price can’t do any harm.

SpaceChem – £9.23/€10.95/$15
Quinns layered a thick sticky ooze of praise all over Zachtronics Industries’ cerebral sciency puzzler when he told us wot he thought.

This is an incredible game, and it absolutely has a place in the PC’s growing catalogue of glorious indie puzzlers. Alongside the shimmering, yet evasive brilliance of Braid, or the charming wit of World of Goo, we now have a straight-up genius. There’s no other word for it- like all geniuses, it can be demanding and even problematic, but there’s no questioning what Zachtronics has achieved here. This is top-of-the-line entertainment. If you’re a puzzle game fan, buy SpaceChem immediately.

If you ignored his sage advice, you can save yourself 25% by buying it now instead of having bought it previously. At least try the demo.

Deal of the week
Men of War: Assault Squad – £12.49/€14.99/$17.49
Apply coupon “50squad”.
It’s not often the new hotness gets discounted so heavily before it’s even available, but here’s a half price preorder of the new Men of War expandalone. Here’s wot Jim thinks:

what Assault Squad does do is transform and reinvigorate Men Of War as a multi-player game, as well as set itself in stone as one of the greatest and grandest co-op games available. It’s precisely this kind of overwrought game that only the PC can do, and I feel thrilled and delighted that it exists. You should too.

Demo here.

Also of note:
Square-Enix Complete Pack – £48.75/€74.99/$74.99
AI War: Fleet Command – £5.99/€6.99/$9.99
Test Drive Unlimited 2 – £19.69/€23.35/$31.99. Apply coupon “hailtothechief”.
Civilization IV [Complete] – £3.75/€6.25/$7.50
Hitman: Codename 47 – £1.49/€2.49/$2.49
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin – £1.49/€2.49/$2.49
Hitman: Blood Money – £1.49/€2.49/$2.49

Remember to visit SavyGamer.co.uk for your recommended daily allowance of cheap games.

1. heretic says:

that square-enix complete pack is really really good value, highly recommended if you haven’t played most games, played most of them myself, only two that would be new for me but can buy them individually for cheaper :/

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

The only real drawback to it is that most people already own at least some of the games in it. DAMN YOU STEAM I CAN’T BUY BARGAINS TWICE!

• patricij says:

You can…just for the sake of it, haha…

• amandachen says:

Anyone from the UK bought the square pack? A friend is interested in it mainly because he’s after the Last Remnant, which isn’t listed as part of the deal for us. Steam hasn’t responded to my query about this yet.

I might just gift him Last Remnant rather than the square pack.

• Qwentle says:

I have, and the Last Remnant is in my install games list (pretty sure it wasn’t before). I mainly bought it to play through the Deus Ex games again, but might give it a whirl :)

• MadMatty says:

Square Enix pack has about 50% crap aswell, as most of the large packs do.
      I´d avoid the Last Remnant, as it looks a lot cooler than it plays- although to be fair i just had enough of grindy JRPGS :/

Edit:
      Actually there seem to be only about 25% crap in the pack, and at that price i´d go for it! sorreee

• amandachen says:

Yeah, The Last Remnant’s pretty dire. It looks and feels like a much older game. Square lost a bundle on that game.

Thanks for the info. I’ll gift my friend the complete pack.

• Arathain says:

Hmm, Last Remnant. I’ve played a little ways in. There are lots of nice ideas, but it never quite seems to gel. Perhaps things will be more interesting later on when there are more options to customise my band, but I don’t know if I can stand the main character long enough to get there.

Lack of regular auto-save is also a big problem. Nothing makes me turn to other waiting titles on my Steam list like having to replay whole hours.

• Kdansky says:

Last Remnant? That is a seriously bad game. It is difficult (in a “why exactly did I lose that battle?” kind of way), it is boring (in a “why do I have to kill another 200 beasts?” kind of way), it is pretty (in a “very standard 360-fare” kind of way), it is annoying (in a very “why did they have to include everything that makes JRPGs tedious” kind of way).

Avoid.

• Selix says:

Wow, have you ever heard of buying stuff that is actually worth playing, instead of buying it just because it’s “cheap”? Even if I’d play them all, 70 bucks for a bunch of mediocrity is not cheap at all, least of all timewise. From an objective point of view, they should offer you 70 bucks for that!

2. trjp says:

Get in quick on those Hitman deals – if nothing else, Blood Money is worth far more than the asking price…

• patricij says:

I concur…getting Blood Money myself to have it on STEAM, a great game indeed
      EDIT: It’s a game I can play over and over again…in fact, I might give it a whirl once more, especially the one with a witness surrounded by FBI is brilliant..an open-world with lots of possibilities

• Bennus says:

(wong place)

• patricij says:

Get off my lawn, kid!

• sinister agent says:

Agreed. The second is very good also (haven’t played the first), but if you only buy one, make it Blood Money. If you buy both, start with 2, obv.

If you buy all three. .. ARGH I DON’T KNOW HELP

• mwoody says:

I don’t like how they’ve constructed that ad at all. On the Steam site right now, it says “All Hitman Titles, 75% off!” Below that is $9.99 crossed out over $2.49. The obvious assumption is that you can get all of the Hitman titles for $2.49. But the sale is actually that all of the titles are now individually priced at $2.49. Very misleading.

It’s a small thing, sure, but it was enough for me to decide it was worth it to find my discs rather than repurchase it digitally, just out of not wanting to reward that sort of shady advertising.

• patricij says:

@sinister agent:
      Oddly enough, Hitman 2 never quite clicked with me the same way Contracts and Blood Money did. I think it’s partly because Silent Assassin is still a bit rough around the edges,(much) less than Codename 47, but still more than Contracts or Blood Money…

BTW: Can someone tell IO Interactive and/or Eidos I (and many others I bet) would love a DD re-release of Freedom Fighters? I wish to own this game…and the warez versions are crap anyway

3. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Don’t forget Civ V for £12.48 for another 11 hours and counting.

• Lewie Procter says:

I guess I should probably address this point. Not linking to GMG in the bargain bucket and on SavyGamer is a specific choice I have made.

I would not encourage people to use them.

• applecup says:

Really? How come?

• Vandelay says:

If you don’t want to use GMG, which I had a bad experience with too, albeit with a free game, you can get Civ V for the slightly more expensive price of £17.99 on Steam.

Personally, I think I’ll wait until they get some expansions out and release a complete pack, like with Civ IV.

As an aside, the D2D coupon “vatfree” can be applied to any purchase to get a 20% off. Not looked for much myself, but I’m sure there are a lot of great prices you can get with that.

• Diziet Sma says:

Yet there are many links to the hut even though you put in a disclaimer that they’re crap? :D

— Addendum —
      In the case of that GMG promo they appear to give a code that registers on steam to download it into there, so it’s a 5 quid saving for the same content. Although GMG do say they use secure rom to DRM stuff. Which is unsurprising considering they offer trade ins I suppose.

I don’t believe Civ V purchased direct from steam comes with SecureROM, so does this mean the version purchased from GMG does? It would, digging around, appear to activate a specific GMG version of the game.

• Colthor says:

You just get a code to type in to Steam, which worked fine for me.

• Kelron says:

I used GMG to buy Empire TW a while back. They gave me a code to plug in to Steam straight away, no need to download their client or anything.

• BarneyL says:

I’ve never had a problem with GMG and would happily recommend it, I picked up Mount and Blade Warband for a very good price a couple of weeks ago. The more competition there is out there in the market the better for us all (particularly when it’s pushing new alternative models such as allowing digital trade ins) so new services should be supported.
      While I appreciate the nice convenient list of bargains that appears hear each week I always take Lewie’s opinions with a pinch of salt. He seems to let his fame go to his head every now and then and decide he’s a better judge of what games we should like and where we should get them from than we are.

• bill says:

what’s up with GMG? I mean, they’re obviously a small operation*, but i’ve found them ok.

I mean, they gave me King’s Bounty for free, and i can probably trade it in when i’m finished and get another game for free too.

*with all the good and bad that that entails. Their client has some rough edges and clearly nowhere near the budget/polish of steam, but they’ve replied to any support requests i’ve had within hours, personally, not with automated responses. And they’ve done something to help every time. (emailed me the pdf of the KB manual, updated their client to fix a bug within 24 hours..).

Harlander says:

What’s iffy with GMG?

• Lewie Procter says:

I’m not making a judgement based on the quality of service they offer. Sadly my reasons are not stuff I can speak about publicly.

Basically I do not trust them and am not going to put any effort into promoting them. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

With steamworks games they sell, I don’t think you need to worry about not receiving a working game, can’t really speak for their client as I have not used it since about a year ago (at which time it was an utter state).

• Diziet Sma says:

I take back what I said above, it does appear to be the normal steam version. It’s just when I typed in the code steam new it was a GMG version so it made me ponder if it was different. Anyhow I’ll certainly use them happily for steam based stuff.

• Bonedwarf says:

I bought a game from GMG. ONE solitary game. Their STUPID software will NOT install on my system. It installs on one system I own, but will not on the other. You run it, nothing happens.

This means I’m stuck with this one game on my NON-gaming system. Fortunately it’s a bit older but that is still an utter pain in the ass and I can’t install it in some other fashion. (And the game doesn’t come with a key I can register on Steam as Steam don’t have it.)

• MugiMugi says:

Be aware I say, I bought it of this site, same with my friend I did not get an copy I got charged the price listed and yet have not recived an copy of this game ><.

Basically they scammed me + another friend of mine of the cash, I hope paypal have some way to callback the cahs from them.

Anyhow be aware!

• Dixie Flatline says:

MugiMugi, have you tried contacting them? From the discussion on Gamers With Jobs, it sounds like they ran out of Steam codes for Civ 5, and on Monday they will be trying to either A) get more codes for the people who ordered it before they took it off the sale, or B) refund people’s money.

My only experience with GMG has been buying Civ 5, and I got a working Steam registration code with no problems.

4. jameskond says:

Radiohead really? :P

• Lambchops says:

The new album is rather good.

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

@ jameskond: Science has proven that they are favourite band of the RPS massive. Yes.

• bill says:

anyone know if the different regions for the radiohead album are important? Because for some reason the MP3 is about 30% more expensive in Japan than in quid.

• mwoody says:

Man, what they say is true: geography education in the ‘States is lacking. I’ve never even heard of this place “Quid.”

…wait, maybe I… are they the one with a lot of professional Quos?

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

@ mwoody: A land of the Quos? Perish the thought!

quid1 noun (plural quid) colloq a pound sterling.
      ETYMOLOGY: 17c.

• Casimir's Blake says:

The further away Radiohead position themselves from their dingy, irritating emo-grunge roots, the more fascinating they become.

Not to mention that, apart from Wolf People, they’re about the only “pop-orientated” rock band these days that aren’t a pile of bland, derivative, soul-less shite.

5. Wilson says:

That’s actually a pretty amazing Square-Enix pack, if you don’t have the more expensive games on there. I’m annoyed I got Batman elsewhere now, or it would be an even better pack.

6. Dzamir says:

The coupon for Magicka doesn’t work: “Your coupon or discount is not valid for the product in your cart.”

• Lewie Procter says:

That’s strange, it’s working for me. Perhaps try the UK site and “vatfree”. It’s a tiny bit more expensive there, but available worldwide on both sites.

• Gehrschrein says:

Coupon “hailtothechief” is working only for dollah purchases, indeed.

• ulix says:

Where do i even click to redeem coupons?

• Gehrschrein says:

@ulix

It’s there once you continue with the checkout.

• Dzamir says:

Just bought it from US d2d…. it applies 1,59$ of taxes, but 9,55$ is still a good price (7€)

• ulix says:

There’s nothing.

1. I click “purchase for myself” (from the cart).
      2. I choose the payment method.
      3. “Review & Purchase”, I can only click “Purchase”, without having entered the coupon code…

During which of these steps am I supossed to put it in?

• Gehrschrein says:

ulix – you’re supposed to get it from D2D mate, not steam.

• Spooner says:

When you go to the checkout, it shows a list of items you are buying. Just under that is a field you can enter “promotion code” into. When you add that, it will adjust the price before you confirm the order.

• ULTRALenin says:

How does redeeming it on steam work?

• Delusibeta says:

@ULTRALenin: If you’re referring to the CD key, click “Add A Game” in the bottom left of the Steam client, click “Register a Steam game” and follow the instructions.

If you’re referring to the voucher code, then you’re doing it wrong.

• rapchee says:

i wanted to gift a copy to a friend, but i don`t know how shopping for steam works in d2d. if i buy a game, i get a cd key perhaps? then i could just send it and not mess with the `If we don’t already have it [gift recipient`s address] in our system, you may have to fill out some brief additional info to ensure that they can login and download their product.` bit

7. Bennus says:

LAST WEEK I bought Hitman Blood Money on Get Games Go (Eurogamer’s service) for the same price, and I just bought it again on Steam, to have in my library. Valve own my soul.

Also very very verrily tempted by Space Chem. Wouldn’t usually pay that much for a low tech indie such game, but by damn the demo was satisfying and if any indie developer deserves praise and my coffers (even if just for intellectually expecting more of his audience) then Mr Zach does.

• mcnostril says:

See, my soul remains untarnished because I tried to buy it last week and it kept rejecting my credit card.
      Then today Steam swoops in on its angelic wings and delivers unto me the Deal.
      Otherwise I probably would’ve done the same (damn steam for being so convenient).

8. Guyver says:

thanks for the promo code on MoW!

9. Xanadu says:

After over a year of waiting, I’m giving up on Steam putting Vampire:Bloodlines on sale, and will bite the bullet and buy it from D2D. Which is owned by Murdock, so this goes against the tattered remains of my few remaining principles, but needs must. Of course to show me the error of my ways it’ll go on sale on Steam for less than a fiver the week after I do so, so the rest of you might want to hold on till then.

• StingingVelvet says:

Activision release a lot of stuff on GOG now-a-days too, so it might show up there DRM free for $10 one of these days.

I have the boxed version.

• TheGameSquid says:

Yeah, I’m also waiting for a decent deal. The boxed version usually costs over 20€ on eBay, and I can’t recall if it has EVER been on sale on Steam. I’m also crossing my fingers for a release on GOG. Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption (which is not all that great) is already for sale there, so I suppose there is a possibility…

10. Diziet Sma says:

Magicka is still buggy, it seems to crash between 1-2hrs multiplayer for me, there are also little odd glitches but nothing game killing spectacular now I feel. Either way, bugs or not, it is a fantastic little game when played MP and well worth the admission fee.

P.S. Although it’s resolved for me and many others, any networking issues when having games with your mates seem to be fixed by hamachi.

11. Anthile says:

Even after 6(!) or so patches since release I still cannot finish Magicka because it decides to crash after finishing chapter 6 – and this was not the only time a game-breaking bug occurred. However, it has been vastly improved since release. As much as I want to love this game, I feel very angry about the state it was delivered and I cannot recommend it without feeling bad, mainly because I believe developers and publishers shouldn’t get away so easily with releasing unplayable products. But that’s just me.
    Of course there are people who played through it without crashing a single time. Life is unfair like that.

• FriendlyFire says:

Yeah, I can’t say I get it either. I haven’t had a single crash myself, not even on the initial release. My only complaint was that I couldn’t remap the middle mouse button to something else.

Of course, I haven’t really tried online, what with not knowing anyone who’s playing it, but I went up to chapter 9 before getting busy with other stuff.

12. Spooner says:

The 20% off for Magicka seems to have nothing to do with Magicka itself. As people have said, D2D are having a 20% off sale for ALL GAMES this weekend (use “vatfree” on the UK site or “hailtothecheif” in the US version).

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

The discount from the UK site also works if you’re on the continent, by the way. That’s an easy 17€ off for a 50€ game.

13. LionsPhil says:

I would play Hobo Tycoon.

14. Kelron says:

So I pre-ordered MoW for £25 yesterday after looking around all the download sites. Doubt I’d have any luck weaseling a refund out of Steam.

• Lagavulin says:

actually, you can get a refund on steam if you don’t have installed the game (which is the case since MoW AS is not to be released before Feb 22nd.
      So you can get a refund on steam and get MoW at 15€ ;)

• Kelron says:

Unfortunately I already had the beta installed, which unlocked again when I bought it. I played it for a whole 8 minutes, but I expect that’s enough for Steam to deny me a refund.

• suibhne says:

The beta shouldn’t count against you. Steam refunded me for MoH even after I installed and played its beta for a week or two.

• Lagavulin says:

i think suibhne is right. You should at least try ;)
      Steam client service is generally ok regarding that kind of issue…

15. deanbmmv says:

I went for the Magicka offer, only seems to work if you go through the US site. Problem is once you’ve done the promo code it then whacks on $1.50 back in tax, making a grand total saving of 30p or thereabouts.
    On the UK site whack in VATFREE and get £1.59 off. Making the cheapest for UK folks £6.36.
    The US site price of $9.99 works out at £6.14 without any price deductions applied, gotta love it when that happens. (It’s maybe why I don’t shop too often on D2D)

16. Evil Otto says:

If you add the D2D coupon on Shogun 2 you get a price of 23.96, for a code to activate on steam. Haven’t seen it cheaper anywhere else yet.

17. TonyB says:

Although I appreciate the Radiohead reference is appropriate this week, what are you saying about the quality of the bargains with that heading?

• jeremypeel says:

Maybe in his keenness to reference the ‘head he simply wasn’t

payin’ atten-shun
      payin’ atten-shun
      payin’ atten-shun
      payin’ atten-shun.

18. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Yay, Spacechem for €11,26!

19. Ravenger says:

Dead Space 2 is £13.99 at Amazon at the moment.

20. Jumwa says:

So, if I purchase Magicka through D2D I get a code that I can redeem through Steam that makes it so from them on I play and download the game through Steam and never have to visit D2D again?

If so I’ll go for that for my partner and I. But otherwise, I’d rather not add another games vendor to my collection, Steam, Impulse and GOG are enough for me at the moment.

• Lewie Procter says:

Correct, you get a serial which you then plug into steam, and you would never need to go to D2D ever again. It would be attached to your Steam account as if you had bought it straight from Steam.

• Jumwa says:

Thank you!

And sorry for the confusing run-on sentence.

• Lewie Procter says:

Oh, if you are intending to buy it twice, you’ll need to have two separate accounts on D2D too. It doesn’t let you buy the same game twice on one account (I think).

Actually that might not be true any more, I just spotted that they support gifting now. Let me know how it goes.

21. crainey92 says:

That Square pack is a really good deal and as noted on Steam the games would come to a sum of £333.97 and you save £317.90 which is crazy (Package cost is £366.65) although I already own most of them games, that and I could do without giving into Steams wicked ways again, they stoled my moneys.

22. Lambchops says:

Buy Spacechem folks.

That is all.

23. prinzipi0 says:

magicka doesnt work, or does it depend on my ip ( german) cause i tried it in the us, the uck and the european shop…. any hints what i did wrong ???

• utzel says:

The D2D deals never worked for me either, after they check your adress the basket is empty again.

24. FriendlyFire says:

I might add that Tropico 3 is currently 50% off on Impulse. I’m tempted.

25. MadMatty says:

I dont like the Men of War series, mainly because its shifts between aspiring to realism, and trying to fit everything into one overhead view.
    Worst thing about it was that whenever i´d try a perfectly normal flank maneuvre, id hit the invisible borders on the maps, so you had to face the opposition head on.
    The prequel “Soldiers: Heroes of WW2” suffers less from that, with generous space around the edges, and pretty much the same engine/features. We enjoyed THAT in co-op.
    It wasnt just a single incident, the Men of WAr games seem very linear (from the demos of all three ive tried).
    I want to like it, but hugely annoying situations like hitting the border of the map, keeps happening, and messing with mah Squad Tactics.

26. pkt-zer0 says:

SpaceChem will be getting a level editor and a bunch of new reaction mechanics in the semi-near future, by the way.

So go get it already, it’s quite possibly the most brilliant puzzle game of the decade.

• Vinraith says:

I’ll second pkt on that, easily my favorite puzzle game since… I can’t even remember when. Just fantastic. And that’s speaking as someone that’s hopelessly stuck at the beginning of Hephaestus IV and has been for almost a month now.

• Gehrschrein says:

Ok, this does it. I’m getting it now.
      I absolutely hate you guys.

• Colonel J says:

Say goodbye to your sleep and productivity for the next week.

27. Xocrates says:

By the way, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is 2.49€/$3.41 on Impulse

• LostSoviet says:

Impulse STALKER is a daily deal. It will be gone tomorrow.

The EA store is having a 40% off sale on all The Sims 2 titles
      link to eastore.ea.com

Beamdog has a couple of discounts on their main page: 50% off Loki, Painkiller Black & Painkiller Resurrection; 75% off Dawn of Magic 2, Death Track Resurrection, and a Flatout Destruction Pack (1 + 2 + Ultimate Carnage)
      link to beamdog.com

Also, no mention of GOG’s (admittedly limited) Strategy First 50% off promo? Jagged Alliance + Deadly Games are included.

(I have a blog where I track digital distribution deals.)

28. iLag says:

Wait, no reference whatsoever to Jason Rohrer’s new game “Inside a star-filled sky” that went live yesterday evening and that is pay-whatever-you-want (meaning $1.75+x) for a limited time? Makes me sad.

Here’s the link, now go support Rohrer and give him your money: link to insideastarfilledsky.net
    Seriously, I don’t even care if this game is good or bad or whatever, I just want to see Rohrer continue the things he’s doing.

(Oh, and GMG are not so bad. That is all.)

• Lewie Procter says:

Next time you spot something like that (which I would have included) if you email it to me when you see it (ideally before Saturday morning) I’d be a lot more likely to include it. In the comments 5 hours after I’ve post the bargain bucket is a little late.

I agree, I would very much like him to continue what he is doing.

• Mac says:

What an arse way of saying thank you for the link …

Thanks iLag – I hadn’t spotted that one …

• Lewie Procter says:

Really? I thought I just gave him instructions on how to avoid being disappointed that I hadn’t featured a game he wanted me to feature in the future.

29. Chockster says:

On the scales of justice the awful apostrophe crimes on the Direct2Drive front page are only just outweighed by their vat-free promotion.
    GRRR, BAN THIS SICK FILTH, WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN, etc.

30. Xanadu says:

Bah – Day 6 of Square Eidos sale is Kane and Lynch (not my cup of tea, but 75% off if it is yours)which only gives me one more chance tomorrow for cheap Tomb Raiders after RPS’ recommendation of TR:Legend in the week. In protest I’ll play the Spacechem demo, but after 20 years studying, researching and working with organic chemistry I hope it’s not too much like work

31. costyka says:

2+2=3 then 2+2=5. Because the new Radiohead album – King of Limbs is out, right?!
    OK, now you can send me my gift!
    Hope Kieron has a few things to say about the album though, him and music and all.

• Lewie Procter says:

Actually, I had considered doing a radiohead reference, but decided to go for something more relevant to the games/discounts as usual.

Then D2D had the coupon “hailtothechief” and I couldn’t help myself.

32. theunshaven says:

Lewie: Is the Vampire Bloodlines code registerable on Steam?

33. Earl_of_Josh says:

Hmm, the vampire: bloodlines sale in the US appears to only discount to $15.96 not $9.49 on direct2drive, unless I’m missing something? used the code “hailtothechief”

• Lewie Procter says:

Direct2Drive are weird.

They have separate USA, UK and EU websites. However, anyone can use any one of these websites, it doesn’t ban you from using the UK web site even if you are in the USA, and have USA payment details. You share one log in/account across the three sites.

Regional availability varies from game to game. Some games are available worldwide on all three sites, some are restricted to a few countries.

Prices vary across the three sites too.

You need to go to the UK site and buy it from there. It’s available internationally, and the UK price after adding the coupon equates to about $9.49.

• Lewie Procter says:

Oh, it’s not available internationally, but it is available in the USA, so that’s what matters (for you).

• Dixie Flatline says:

Just purchased from the UK website with no problems (I’m in the US) — with the “vatfree” code it does come out to £6 and I’m downloading now. (As of this instant, currency conversion gives me $9.76, but it should still work out under $10 regardless.)

EDIT: One other thing: the game shows up in my D2D games list as “Vampire Bloodlines UK”. Is anyone aware of any possible difference between US and UK releases? (I’d hope any differences would be patched out by the Unofficial Patch or the Gold Patch anyway.)

Thanks!

• Earl_of_Josh says:

Aha, thanks for the info!

34. suibhne says:

D2D had a decent deal going on Bulletstorm and DA2 for the beginning of their Prez Day sale, because both of those titles were already $5 off MSRP and could be combined with the 20% off code. As of today, however, D2D raised the games back to MSRP. Oh well…the extra $5 might not seem like much, but it’s enough to make me wait for a Steam sale down the line.

35. Stompywitch says:

If I could have used a D2D code on Steam for TDU2, I would have done… but I’ll wait for an even better better steam sale.

36. DarkNoghri says:

Supposedly, you can get Civ 5 for 14$.

Civ V for $14 by doing the following:

1) Buy a $20 gift certificate for Direct2Drive for $10 here: link to shop.weshop.com

2) Add Civilization V to your cart at Direct2Drive: link to direct2drive.com

3) Use the code “hailtothechief” to get 20% off (i.e. $6), for a total of $24

4) To sum up: you buy Civ V for $24 from Direct2Drive, but $20 of those dollars really only cost you $10 (your WeShop.com gift certification), so you really only spent $14

Unverified, but credit goes to those at the Anandtech forums. You should be able to activate on Steam, also.

• Sourav Chakraborty says:

Thanks Mate! It worked!

• Donkeyfumbler says:

How long did it take for the gift cert to arrive?

Edit: OK mine arrived and no this doesn’t work – you can only enter one code at a time and no-one else has reported success. Thanks very much, Sourav, for misleading me and other people with your reports of success. Why post lies like this? Do you get off on it?

37. -Spooky- says:

Painkiller: Redemption <- INSTANT preorder, love the other parts.

Online Co-Op: Yes
    Number of Players Online: 4 Players

;)

38. Bodylotion says:

Hitman: Bloodmoney , probably is the best game out of the list.
    Magicka is still very buggy, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines only works with unofficial patches.