That’s Not A Field: Battlefield 3 Footage

I paused it where it wasn't all blurry! Like a ninja!

Hurrah – some in-game footage of Battlefield 3 has appeared today. Unfortunately it was sent live by satellite from inside an imaginary warzone, and as such the image quality is quite blurry and sporadic. Because what we want, more than anything else, is confusing, unclear footage that makes it difficult to see the game we’re looking forward to playing. Oh, hush me – I am a one to complain. You can see the video beyond the clickzone.

But what about pre-order incentives, you ask. Because you’re so conditioned, like a dribbly dog. Well, they’ve gottem. Here’s the ludicrously hyperbolic details:

Battlefield 3 leaps ahead of its time with the power of Frostbite™ 2, DICE’s new cutting-edge game engine. This state-of-the-art technology is the foundation on which Battlefield 3 is built, delivering enhanced visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and character animation utilizing ANT technology from the latest EA SPORTS™ games.

The experience doesn’t stop with the engine — it just starts there. In single-player, multiplayer and co-op, Battlefield 3 is a near-future war game depicting international conflicts spanning land, sea and air. Players are dropped into the heart of the combat whether it occurs on dense city streets where they must fight in close quarters or in wide open rural locations that require long range tactics.

“We are gearing up for a fight and we’re here to win,” said Karl Magnus Troedsson, General Manager, DICE. “Where other shooters are treading water Battlefield 3 innovates. Frostbite 2 is a game-changer for shooter fans. We call it a next-generation engine for current-generation platforms.”

In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines. As the first boots on the ground, players will experience heart-pounding missions across diverse locations including Paris, Tehran and New York. As a U.S. Marine in the field, periods of tension and anticipation are punctuated by moments of complete chaos. As bullets whiz by, as walls crumble, as explosions force players to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before.

“We wanted to create the most immersive and emotionally powerful Battlefield game ever and we needed new technology to deliver on our vision,” said Patrick Bach, Executive Producer. “Battlefield 3 preserves the franchise’s signature sandbox style and even brings back classic fan favorites like jets, going prone and 64-player multiplayer on PC.”

Those anxious to start the fight can pre-order the Battlefield 3 Limited Edition now at www.battlefield.com. The Battlefield 3 Limited Edition includes Battlefield 3™: Back to Karkand at no extra charge.* This themed expansion pack features four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with Frostbite 2 physics, destruction and visuals. Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new achievements/trophies, and more.

1. Bantros says:

Holy shit, that looks amazing

2. Jim Rossignol says:

John totally murdered my post and replaced it with his own.

3. obvioustroll says:

I am not sure what is happening here.

Someone said something about it being unsettlingly real, and someone else said something about it looking freakingly awesomely real. Really.

4. Milky says:

Wow I am now interested.

5. Astalano says:

PRONE!

6. supacoo says:

Now those are some goddamn visuals right there. PC gaming is hitting back hard this year and forward in the tech area.

7. JohnnyK says:

Aaaaand we have another modern day shooter. While BF1942 is still the greatest BF ever made (at least, I had the most fun with it and played it to exhaustion).

Here’s hoping they will at some point remake 42 in a new engine (you know, like BF1943 *cough*)

• Teddy Leach says:

Modern day is the new WW2. Modern day is the new brown.

• Rob Lang says:

Can I rather predictably demand a new BF Vietnam, with its comedy helo physics and music playing from vehicles?

• JohnnyK says:

Rob, at least you got BFBC2:Vietnam.

I HAVE NOTHING. NOTHING!

• Rob Lang says:

JohnnyK, I feel your pain. BFBC2:V is bubble lite, though. After getting up from playing it, I feel more like I’ve been having a jolly prance in the woods with friends rather than squatting in the insect infested jungle hoping the napalm is on time and on target.

• skinlo says:

Better than WW2 however.

• JohnnyK says:

Rob, I can’t comment on BC2:V – I’ve got it but haven’t spent a minute playing it.
      I think the problem with Vietnam games is that the appeal outside the US is far smaller unless the game is just really great in itself. WW2 is present in everyone’s history book.

And skinlo, I shall ignore your blasphemy.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Amen brother. Flay the heretics who claim that BF1942 wasn’t the best.

• Dozer says:

I had hours of fun, back in the day, on the BF:V servers that replaced all the vehicles with more helicopters. When the entire enemy team and everyone else on yours is airbourne, it’s the ideal time to sneak around on foot, start capturing a point, then hide, watch an enemy fly his helicopter right next to the flagpole to revert the capture – hovering right next to the C4 you placed ON the flagpole… KA-BOOM! Ah. Such a sweet kill.

• bigtoeohno says:

The Vietnam war has a heap of relavence outside the US. Here in Australia especially, but also in many country’s throughout Australasia. I also believe that the bc2 Vietnam expansion trumped the stock game in immersion in every way. From the music to the loading and win/lose closing screens although far from factual it creates the ‘nam’ mood, made familiar by the Vietnam movies of the 80’s.

• JohnnyK says:

bigtoeohno, but (especially compared to WW2) it is relatively unimportant in Europe. European countries simply weren’t involved, so it plays a much smaller role in history lessons and everyday discussions here than it does in the US or Australasia.
      Not that I intend to downplay any armed conflict, but I still believe the worldwide audience for a WW2 game is much bigger than that for a Vietnam game.

• Martha Stuart says:

Not involed? are you crazy? ever heard of a country called France? Or a battle called “Dien Bien Phu”? The battle where the french got there asses handed to them like so many other battles and wars? The whole reason the communists were fighting back was because of French Imperialism. you seriously need to learn your history mate.

Dien Bien Phu was basically the fall of the French Imperialist empire. after Dien Bien Phu the french basically gave up on all of there foreign colonies in indochina.

8. TychoCelchuuu says:

Wow. Impressive.

9. Teddy Leach says:

Man, they really need to get those framerate issues sorted! Joking aside, I’m still quite looking forward to this.

10. Sigh says:

Wow that game looks……….ic, I can’t wait…………………………………………..ed. This game will………………..ck…………………………….monkeys……………………………………..medic kit…………………………………….in your face bangs……………………………………………………excited…………………………………………….pointy guns in lower right corner of screen will…………………………………………….oh my GOD……I………………………………spanked……………………………………..the best!!!!!!!

• Kdansky says:

Well played. That is exactly the feeling the trailer invokes.

11. Koozer says:

Just give me the god-damned theme song already, for I must know what it’s like compared to 1942 and 2142’s renditions.

• tomeoftom says:

DA DUN-DUN DA DUN-DUN

• tomeoftom says:

Doooooooooooooo
      Da do do doooooooooooooo
      Beeda daaaa ba di baaaaa ba do booooo ba do baaa dooo deee daaaaaaaaaa

• Jahkaivah says:

It played during the video when the title came up.

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

Yes, it’s a rather minimalist noise rendition of the BF theme, which is quite nice (I loves me some noise) but unfortunately it’s so minimalist it sounds a bit like the Terminator theme instead.

12. Squirrelfanatic says:

Battlefi3ld.

13. elaking says:

Looks insanely good!

Though I’ll bet my grandmother on that the server browser will be stupidly buggy at launch even though Dice seem to have been doing multiplayer games since 1942, or so.

• Commisar says:

haters gonna hate

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Love the game, hate the browser.

Battlefield game = crap server browser

• elaking says:

Not hating at all, just stating a sad fact. I love BFBC2 and its mechanics but they (Dice) unfortunately miss to fix that last bit that would make their games awesomely great instead of just great.

Looking forward to BF3!

14. Dreamhacker says:

Wow, that managed to come off looking extremely cool despite the artificially crappy camera.

15. RoTapper says:

End of the vid shows a guy punching.

Wonder if they replaced the insta-knife with an insta-punch, or made mighty fist an unlockable perk.

16. MrCraigL says:

Excited. Anyone know what this “back at karkand expansion pack” is? Strike at karkand as premium dlc?

• Misnomer says:

“We are also proud to announce our massive pre-order incentive for the Battlefield 3 Limited Edition. The Limited Edition features the digital expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand at no extra charge. This themed multiplayer expansion pack includes four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with Frostbite 2 physics, destruction and visuals. Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new achievements/trophies, and more. Secure your copy by pre-ordering the Battlefield 3 Limited Edition now at EA Store.”

From
      link to blogs.battlefield.ea.com

• Insanara says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH, he said as he ran around the block, flailing his hands in the air.
      Back to Sharqi Peninsula!

17. MiniTrue says:

Dada-da, da-dada,

Da-dum-da, da-dum-da,

Da-dada, da-DA-DA!

Da-dada, da-dum-da.

18. coldvvvave says:

Great, it’s middle East again, cant wait to hear:

Ahtimulmus!
    Ahtimulmus!
    Ahtimulmus!
    Mulmuhurar kumbaia!
    Ahtimulmus!

• Doesntmeananything says:

Kumbaia, my Lord, kumbaia;
      Kumbaia, my Lord, kumbaia;
      Kumbaia, my Lord, kumbaia;
      Oh, Lord, kumbaia.

19. Unaco says:

Seems a bit CoD-y to me. Shame.

Also… they have an ‘expansion’ pack already in the works and/or planned out or completed? Are they sure it’s an expansion, and not just day 1 DLC? Wasn’t that the sort of thing that they used to try and fit as much of into the game as they could before releasing it… I think it was called content…. and, at the worst, they’d probably finish off then release for free shortly after release?

Also… wasn’t Karkand in BF2? Wasn’t it one of the most popular maps? Are they going to be charging for old, popular maps (a la MW2 stimulus), rather than just including them in the base game like you’d expect them to do if there were but a shred of decency left in their souls?

• Player1 says:

I agree to every word you said… Sir. I just hate this warmed up DLCs where they charge you for old stuff… Not going to buy like this… no no no.

• Seronei says:

There won’t be a “standard edition” at launch it’s like Dead Space 2, if you buy it when the game is newly released you get this map pack for free. If you wait a while it won’t be included and you’d have to buy it separately.

• Unaco says:

@Seronei…

So, if I decide to maybe buy after it’s released, after I’ve read some reviews, spoken to some friends, heard the word on the street, maybe even waited for pay-day… I have to fork over extra money for content that is ready and included in the game for those that pre-ordered or bought at launch? So, to be on par with (pretty much) everyone else that owns the game, I’m going to have to pay more money than they did, because I decide to be slightly cautious with my purchase? In fact, isn’t it going to be extra work for the Developers to remove the content from the pre-order/launch version for the slightly late version?

I do have a problem with DLC, but that isn’t the problem here. The problem here is Day 1 DLC.

• DrGonzo says:

@UNACO

It is inevitable that the DLC will unlock for free for everyone after x amount of months. Or it could even be a universal code to unlock that is easy to find on the internets. Either way, I imagine if you have patience you will be able to get it for free.

Doesn’t matter for me anyway, I had to wait a coupla years to buy BF2 because my PC couldn’t handle it, I bet it will be the same with BF3. It will require Super Computers From Dimension X to run it.

20. CaLe says:

Get hype.

21. oxymelum says:

But does it come with instant weapon changing?

22. crooon says:

“Kristoffer!”

23. McDan says:

Yum.

24. Ysellian says:

Oooh Paris map! I hope we get to shoot it out in Louvre!

25. Dude (Darloc) says:

God I wish they will stop those annoying trailer with 5s of actual game footage cut by static/noise/annoying sound so that it make it all look real and confused and full of action but you just saw actually almost nothing of the actual engine and game.

26. Moni says:

At about 20 seconds in, they’ve actually spliced in a bit of footage from Mirror’s Edge 2: Modern Wharf Fair.

27. Maykael says:

Fucking Battlefield, man! (pre-ordered)

28. Buemba says:

My PC is not worthy.

29. skinlo says:

Hmm, pretty.

Although why bother with all the crappy effects in the video. Puts me off wanting to play the product, rather than building up excitement.

30. RakeShark says:

Battlekane & Lynchfield 3?

31. CMaster says:

“In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines.”
    It’s a US civil war, but played out across the world? Interesting.

32. mcnostril says:

All I could think of when watching the trailer was
    BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHM
    dun dun dun dun dun
    BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHM

• Serenegoose says:

It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, actually.

• GenBanks says:

It reminded me of the Inception trailer…
      tum tee tun tum tum tee tum tum
      *BRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH*

33. Serenegoose says:

*grump*

I hated battlefield 2, but loved Bad Company 2. I’m worried that this is going to bring back everything I hated about BF2. (planes, maps it takes 3 solid years to cross on foot, and rubbish, rubbish infantry) because naturally, as we all know, the existence of games I might not like sullies games I do like, rendering me unable to enjoy them. Why oh why, I cry at night, do developers not make games exclusively for me?

Still, if they fix the rubbish infantry I could put up with the rest.

34. cpy says:

Must buy must buy must buy!
    *pant* *pant* *pant*

35. rhizo says:

Is that red blotch the dreaded jam effect at 0:17 or am I just being paranoid? Very CoD looking glimpses, and a rubbish trailer for only showing glimpses. After seeing this, I’m not optimistic.

36. GT3000 says:

Reminds me of MoH

37. Trans says:

Does anybody know what “Fall” 2011 means?

• GODZiGGA says:

Well I would consider fall anytime between the beginning of September through end of November. If you go by the actual seasonal dates for fall (autumn) in the northern hemisphere for 2011, the game could ship anytime between September 23rd and December 21st and meet it’s “Fall” release date.

• fearian says:

Yeah trans, I had a friend translate, should be ‘autumn’, mate!

38. kalidanthepalidan says:

It has legs!

39. Binman88 says:

Obviously this is a very manicured trailer, but it looks fantastic.

I really hope this retains most of what made BF2 great – although a lot of the fun really just came from having a decent group of friends to play with.

40. Duffin says:

The red dot sight on one of the guns was distinctly Modern Warfare style, made me shudder.

41. Splynter says:

Mods? Please?

• Commisar says:

Dice is considering releasing the frostbite 2 engine SDK, but is is supposed to be very complex

• Theory says:

No, they have explicitly said that isn’t practical. All we know is that they are “considering” alternatives.

• Serenegoose says:

Certainly, I hear dev/publishers are getting rather fond of this ‘alternative’ where if they keep all the tools to themselves, they will occasionally give you a map. Sometimes they will let this pile up into say, as many as four (4(!!!!)) maps and a new gun and you can have it if you pay them money. This seems to be an alternative very much in vogue.

• fearian says:

Basically, the reasoning is, their new engine is ridiculously cool, very complicated and powerful, and distilling it down – developing a more limited, easier to use toolset – for modders would be such a huge effort that it is just too pricey and time consuming to justify.
      It’s sad, but understandable :(

• Theory says:

That was the reasoning for the last version of the engine. Frostbite 2 is considerably better, but they seemingly couldn’t (or were told not to) make the toolchain portable enough for mods.

42. pupsikaso says:

Why does this look like another CoD clone? WTF?
    Battlefield is a completely different type of game, WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO US!??!

43. mkultra says:

There’s a sprint mechanic. COD-clone.

44. Navagon says:

It looks like Modern Warfare 3. I would have hoped that the single player took a more Frontlines or Quake Wars approach and was more like an open Battlefield game with various objectives to complete. But they’re making this look very linear and scripted. Mehness.

• Thants says:

You got the impression that there aren’t various objectives to complete from the 0.5 second clips of gameplay we saw?

• Navagon says:

It was enough to show that it was very scripted and thus highly unlikely to feature the ability to complete objectives in a non-linear order and take your own route to them.

45. passingstranger says:

Have there been any details on the tone of the single player campaign? I adored the “Oh shit, how are we going to do this? Ummm, maybe this? Yeah, let’s try this” personality of BC2’s characters and that’s what really set it apart from other games on the market. I’m afraid this is going to be too hung up on serious man shooting and go the way of Medal of Honor.

Plus BC2’s score. That beautiful score.

46. fearian says:

Actually, this bit here’s not even hyperbole; Frostbite 2 is seriously seriously cool tech. ‘Dat lighting engine! Phwoar!

link to youtube.com
    drools…

47. jonfitt says:

I might be interested in the limited edition if it includes BF2 maps.

Or I might wait for the big Steam sale and buy the DLC.

48. Flakfizer says:

I’m usually not interested in PVP games but i played the shit out of BF2. Looking forward to this.

Although now i’m confused. If BF3 has single player does that mean BF2 did too and i missed it? :/

49. Tei says:

Battlefield is a game that you play for the multiplayer. I think no one is interested in another high-scripted railshooter (but I can be very wrong, and data can show the contrary). But this video focused a bit too much (he..) on the singleplayer, so.. humm.

Something DICE can do, is work on the engine, to able something like more interesting mods. Specially, moving building-vehicles, so is possible to make space-with-capitol-ships mods.

That would be different, and interesting. Anyway betting on the modders is always a risk, as you could put everything in place, and these people never show.

50. My2CENTS says:

This graphics with 64 players and jets is impossible, guys i don’t think anyone announced the Quantum computers and i missed it?