Pavements Of Anger: Streets Of Rage Remake

Yes, I chose the girl. What of it?

I have only foggy memories of Sega’s 1991 side-scrolling man-thumper Streets of Rage (I was more of a Final Fight man, played on a chum’s Amiga) but I remember visiting the house of the only boy in the world to own a Mega-CD / Sega CD and playing it with him there. Though it might have been the second game, now I think of it. No matter – many buttons were bashed, many men were thumped, many naughty-swears were uttered. And yes, I do remember that thing where the police car turns up and bombs everything to death with as much fondness as the next man.

Now, a cartel of indie devs have painstakingly remade the bally thing as an elaborate, faithful but free PC game. After a remarkable eight years in development, you can play the ‘final’ version of this labour of violent love right now.

No simple tribute, it’s in fact an attempt to merge all three Streets of Rage games into one enormous omni-basher. 19 playable biff-masters, 64 enemies, 103 stages, plus local co-op and all manner of bonus content. It’s clearly a passion project, rather than any kind of cash-in, as evidenced by the devs’ strict mandate that it must not be charged for.

This is version 5, which is leaps and bounds on from the many beta versions over the last near-decade. You can still explore those here, if you’re so taken, but frankly you should go straight to the full-fat newest version, which is dripping with features and polish.

Works pretty well on keyboard, I’m pleased to report, though the dedication to original resolution graphics means it’s not massively sharp’n’beautiful on today’s many-pixelled monitors. Definitely better to have the (more or less) original look, replete with all its early-90s cheese and absurd body types, than some slick modern reworking though, I suspect.

Clearly, it risks standing on the wrong side of copyright law, but apparently no reverse engineering or code-pilfering is involved – instead, “it’s all based on visual interpretation, comparing how things work in the original games and trying to mimic it for Streets of Rage Remake.” The devs have informed Sega of its existence, and as of the time of writing no smackdown has arrived – hopefully all is thus well.

Grab 218MB of meticulously-recreated console vigilantism from here, although you’ll likely need to go through a MegaUpload or RapidShare service to get it – servers don’t come cheap, y’know.

Here’s a video of that wonderful, terrible police car special move:

Thanks to the multiple kind-hearts who sent this in.

From this site

1. Dominic White says:

This game is amazing. Also, don’t worry about Sega getting uppity – they actually ran it past the company years ago, and they didn’t have any complaints back then. Hell, there’s about a hundred Sonic fangames out there, and not a single one has gotten so much as a grumble from Sega.

Unlike, say, Square-Enix and EA, Sega, Nintendo and Capcom seem pretty cool with fan works.

• godgoo says:

Except the sonic remix which released a superb demo around the same time sonic 4 launched. They were told no. no with lawyers on.

what a shame.

link to gamevideos.1up.com

• Dominic White says:

Erm, it’s still around and the project is still going, far as I know:
      link to sonicfanremix.com

There was a rumor that went around that Sega threatened them over it, but it turns out that no such thing happened.

Edit: Some dick (not Sega) keeps reporting their downloads on various file sites are infringement, though. That’s probably what you heard.

• Wulf says:

Yeah, Sega tend to be absolutely awesome with their live-and-let-live attitude, my response to this was actually total disbelief, because this is contrary to everything Sega has ever done, ever. And that it was just some troll reporting downloads whilst masquerading as Sega (this happens) doesn’t shock me in the least.

It’s how some people get their jollies. A bunch of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic episodes got successfully pulled by a troll because their account name was ‘Hasbro Inc.’, which is utterly hilarious yet still mildly irritating at the same time. So people do do this, masquerading as companies and being utter jerks in the process.

And yes, I have absolutely no problem admitting that I watch MLP:FiM enough to know that.

So… indeed, I’ve seen previous instances of this. I knew Sega had no hand in it. They’re literally just too nice, and that was likely part of their downfall, but I don’t care, I’ll always love ’em.

• Dominic White says:

Just poked around, and yeah, it looks like the Sonic Fan Remix has gone legally unmolested. There’s just some tool pretending to be Sega, trying to get it pulled from free hosting sites. Some people are messed up like that.

• godgoo says:

@ Dominic White

Ah, apologies, that is good news indeed!

2. pakoito says:

Not beautiful? HQx2 filter seems more than OK for me.

• Spacewalk says:

And scanlines too. Hooray for scanlines.

• Sarlix says:

I’m a X2SaI man myself.

• Wedge says:

Blurry pixel filters are the devil. I turn my second monitor to a low res and run that shit how it’s supposed to look. Also scanline mode is best if you run it on an old CRT TV, to get an authentic look (I used to do this with an SNES emulator).

3. roryok says:

On a related note, anyone with fondness for side-scrolling beat em ups should check out Pirate Baby Cabana Battle – link to youtube.com

It’s only an animation as opposed to an actual game, but it perfectly captures the feel of those games. Great little short.

4. Ian says:

And yet the policemen never got their own game. Gutted.

• duffers says:

You sir, are what they would call in my part of the woods, WRONG. Infact, it was out a year before the first SOR.

See link to en.wikipedia.org

• Wulf says:

Sooo many memories of arcades yelling “EEEEEEE-Swot” at me.

• terry says:

Well, there was N.A.R.C I guess … you were some sort of policeman in that, although heaven knows what division of the police is responsible for dismembering drug dealers with rocket launchers (possibly all of them).

• Ian says:

@ duffers: But are the criminals you’re massively over-killing just normal punks who could be defeat with a few batons? Because if the enemies you’re facing are, like, organised and competent it just doesn’t have that “Are you napalming muggers?” feel to it.

5. Flameberge says:

Yay. I loved the Streets of Rage games back when I was a whipper-snapper, especially Streets of Rage II on my megadrive. I never had any money to buy games back then, but I was allowed to rent games every couple of weeks, and this was one of my favourites for the weekend!

6. Brother None says:

The policemen were just in SoR I and now this remake. SoR II is generally considered the best and had more extensive and special moves.

That said, I’ve played this remake before. It was excellent but lacked a save version and tended to freeze up at the end of levels. I see save games have been added to this final release, so that’s excellent. Hopefully the freeze bug is out too. Thanks for pointing out the final release!

• Dominic White says:

The previous version was basically an early alpha build, over three years ago now. This is almost a whole new game. Oh, and there’s a save/resume feature. Quit the game with alt-X and it’ll resume exactly where you left off next time. No quicksaving, though – the entire challenge of the game is to get through it in one headlong charge. That gives you points to spend in the unlock store to get new playmodes, characters (including the SoR2 variants of the regulars) and more.

Oh,and a FULL LEVEL/CAMPAIGN EDITOR.

I do highly recommend reading the manual included. There’s a bunch of features that aren’t fully documented in-game.

• Spacewalk says:

The down-side is that you have to unlock the editor but at least it’s there, teasing me with its vast bounty of modifiable content because I don’t have enough virtua bucks yet.

• HeavyStorm says:

Wait a bit. No one talking about the 3rd one? IMO it better than the first. Zan was way worse character than Max, but still, there was the evil Axel (robot Axel) and the crazy secret chars (Shiva! You could fuckin play Shiva!)… many endings, etc. Very polished for a beat em up.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m a fan of the original game. SoR 2 was pretty good, but the old one is the one I go back to when I’m craving some nostalgia. Had better basic mechanics IMO, and it had my favourite character from the series, that never appeared in the 2nd or 3rd games.

• Spacewalk says:

@HeavyStorm

Depends on which version. Streets Of Rage 3 was a bit of a travesty but Bare Knuckle 3 is a game that I would rate above SOR2 due to it not having being totally ruined with content cut out and a skewed difficulty level.

7. Aloshi says:

This is the most impressive fan remake I’ve played in a long time.

8. fuggles says:

This has the SoR2 moveset with the SoR3 specials system (charges up so no energy loss). This only saves if you quit out, so you can resume a game basically rather than load one. Also, the police come in two varieties.

This game is absolutely outstanding and real game of the year material.

• Dominic White says:

More than two varieties – on some levels the police use a helicopter.

• fuggles says:

I was thinking more the helicopter than counting the four guns as variants.

9. Dominic White says:

Oh yeah, probably the coolest thing about this game: It contains all the content of SoR1-3 + Gamegear version, plus new levels, but a single playthrough will only take you through a fraction of the total content. At a lot of points, there are level and even total plot-branches. Depending on the route you take, you could be just fighting against something as mundane as a drug smuggling ring, or trying to stop an evil plot to replace the heads of government with evil robot clones.

Replay value on this one is enormous. And if you don’t have a buddy to play with you, there’s a shockingly intelligent and competent bot assistant to bring along. It probably handles health items smarter than most players, holding off until it can reap the maximum healing from a piece.

• Spacewalk says:

I found it rather neat detail that they generally matched backgrounds, enemy sprites and even the graphic for extra life pickups from whatever game. It’s the thought that counts.

10. sardaukar says:

A great labor of love, indeed. Kudos for the creators!

11. Triangulon says:

Oh my god! I love this game! Played it through again on my megadrive a few weeks ago! Apologies for the number of exclamation marks!

12. frenz0rz says:

MY GOD! Downloading now. My dissertation shall be ruined by this.

13. Wulf says:

Since we’re talking about fighting games, I’m going to mention Card Sagas Wars. Of which you can find videos on Youtube (helpfully I’ve linked to a search).

Check out the characters on the main page, under the blue and red cards sections. I recall being absolutely crazy with want for this almost a year ago, and a friend reignited my interest recently, and I find myself the same way again. It’s a fighting game that has Guybrush Threepwood and Max in it. More relevant to my interests, it has a large variety of werewolves and beasties in it. I think that my first choice when that comes along will be Nanaki. I’ve been in a perpetual state of utterly smitten with that character ever since I first encountered him. (Red XIII for the not-so-fan-ish.)

It’s not released, yet. No. And I have no idea when it will be. But now you all get to wait with me!

• Olero says:

Just checked the Card Saga site, but according to the FAQ, there will only be 32 playable characters, the rest is background filler I think. So I seriously doubt Guybrush or Max will be playable when it’s done. Though I really do want to see a fighting game that imports those characters (imagine Guybrush’ word battles vs. good old violence, should be interesting)

• frenz0rz says:

For some strange reason I read that as Carl Sagan Wars.

Now I’m disappointed that doesnt exist :(

14. Bhazor says:

In the man punching vein- Gog.com has just announced they’ll be rereleasing Guilty Gear X2#Reloaded.

link to gog.com

• Wulf says:

Waitwhat? Seriously?

*rushes over to GoG.com!*

• mashakos says:

for anyone who wants in on that Guilty action *sigh*, but are not so into playing at a fixed resolution of 640×480, enbseries has a Guilty Gear fix* which allows you to set your own screen size via a bit of ini editing.
      get it here

* excessive bloom optional

• zergrush says:

It’s a shame accent core didn’t get a PC release =(

And those folks that ported Blazblue CT should look into porting CS2 too.

15. mashakos says:

This got me really excited, haven’t come across it all these years, and being a huge SoR fan back in the day I immediately took notice.
    Then I saw the video, and found that they went with Streets of Rage 1 artwork…
    What a shame, Streets of Rage 3 had the best sprites and animation in the series.
    EDIT: Oh wait, they did use the artwork from SoR3! Mr. Meer, please post less underwhelming youtube clips in the future.
    like this:
    You are now on probation >/

• Dominic White says:

That video is pants, too. Unregistered hypercam + footage from the 2007 build. Not your fault though – there seems to be no video up yet of the current version! It seems that Fraps can’t see it for some reason, so maybe something else is needed?

• Teddy Leach says:

If FRAPS can’t see it, it’s because it’s not Direct X or OpenGL. A dedicated screen recorder would be the way to go.

16. TonyB says:

You remember the police car turning up and bombing everyone to death? Then ’twas the first one that you played; the sequels both had special moves for each character similar to Final Fight (although with more than one per character).

17. x25killa says:

I have fond memories of chucking enemies into pit holes on the bridge level instakilling them. Good memories.

18. The Sombrero Kid says:

Amzaing as it is i reckon it’s completely illegal, unfortunately not copy-pasting the code will mean the code is legal, it still infringes the design copyright, much like if i was to record myself playing a copyrighted musical composition, it wouldn’t infringe the performance copyright, but it would infringe the composition copyright, at least that’s my interpretation as a programmer, not being a lawyer i’m probably wrong :S

• Wulf says:

I must note that the article points out that they ran it by Sega and Sega’s reaction was ‘meh, we don’t mind.’ Sega have consistently been fairly awesome when it comes to not slapping down fan games, they’ve never even considered it that I know of, because they’re nice like that. Unlike Square-Bloody-Enix.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

yeah totally, here’s hoping they stay cool about it.

• Lilliput King says:

It uses the same sprites and other artwork, so yeah. If Sega want it destroyed they’ll get it destroyed, but fingers crossed eh?

• Dominic White says:

If Sega want it destroyed, then they’ve already lost. The game is complete, and out now. Thousands of people have it. Trying to pull downloads now would be like trying to pour water on deck-fires on the Titanic.

19. karry says:

Um, so why exactly is this classified as “remake” ? Did they redraw sprites and animation from scratch ? Revamped hit detection and controls responsiveness ? Remixed audio tracks ? It has a different “plot” ? Just throwing all three games together is hardly “remaking” them, you know.

• Spacewalk says:

There’s new graphics in there to go with the old stuff and that not just palette swaps. All the music is remixed, the plot is different though basically the same as the official games and it branches based on what routes you take and the FX are nice and shiny. I do remember the controls being a bit better in the original games though that might be down to how much better SEGA are at making gamepads than Logitech.

So it’s pretty much a remake, yeah.

• Dominic White says:

There’s your problem – Logitech are perpetually naff. I use a USB-cabled Sega Saturn controller. The same kind actually shown in the in-game control menu, and it’s at least 27% more authentic an experience for it.

But as for the amount remade – a ton of it. Almost every sprite is actually redrawn with a larger palette than the original versions. All the SORR 1 content is completely redrawn from scratch, as it was far more primitive than the later games.

• Spacewalk says:

I’ve got another controller but the replacement parts that I ordered for it still haven’t arrived in the mail so I’m stuck with inferior means for the interim. Maybe I should just install the game on the other PC which has a serial port so I can use my Sidewinder (this PC doesn’t have a serial port), that never failed me.

• Cynic says:

@karry
      Article says: “it’s all based on visual interpretation, comparing how things work in the original games and trying to mimic it for Streets of Rage Remake.” The devs have informed Sega of its existence, and as of the time of writing no smackdown has arrived – hopefully all is thus well.”
      That makes it a remake, they "re-made" the entire engine.

• DrGonzo says:

I have 2 360 streetfighter pads to play this with. I would really recommend them, they are pretty much just the Saturn’s pad, but work nicely plug and play, and of course with the 360 or PS3 if you’re so inclined.

20. salejemaster says:

This is GOOD…now we need Golden Axe Remake :D:D:D

21. Zogtee says:

…or you could, you know, BUY the original SoR 1 and 2 on Steam for pocket change and support the actual developers.

Just sayin’

• duffers says:

You could also shit yourself and have a dirty protest in remembrance of Bobby Sands or perhaps more recently, the film about Bobby Sands. You could even film as a remake of the film about Bobby Sands and have it about Bobby Sands making a film about dirty protests. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

• Starky says:

The “developers” don’t exist anymore – there is no one to support. They haven’t for a long time, they won’t get any royalties.

• duffers says:

@Starky

I am the facts man today. Some of the numerous original devs do still exist, like Yuzo Koshiro’s company Ancient who did SOR2 and Sega AM7 who did SOR3. Still doesn’t change the fact it’d be mental to pay for them though. Art is produced much better when those involved are starving.

22. JFS says:

I loved the police laying down waste with their subatomic rocket launcher. One very impressive gaming moment when I first witnessed it on a arcade machine when I was about seven or eight.

23. Navagon says:

It was good fun playing this game back in the day.

24. Rinox says:

Just tried it, and it plays like a dream. Can’t wait for my friend to come over with his gamepad, so we can rock it in 2P mode.

25. fuggles says:

They have added a load of new characters and expanded ones such as Adam to have the proper amount of moves, should his character have been in Sor2 and Sor3. There are jetski and motorbike levels and cut bosses as well as around 6 endings from the non-linear paths. This is very much remade.

Oh, and don’t steal from the shop, it just gets you banned.

26. fallingmagpie says:

How has no one mentioned Super Double Dragon? I love SoR, but for me nothing beat the move in SDD where you grab the guy in an arm lock, fling your leg over it, and kick him back and forth in the head a few times.

Ah, memories.

• Jesse L says:

That was always my favorite, too. All the attacks, especially the arm lock attacks and the weapon attacks, feel wicked solid and have great sound effects. I still remember the sound of the bo staff cracking a dude in the face: PAK! PAK PAK PAK! All brawling games should give at least this many options for what to do with a thug once you’ve grabbed him: backfist to the face? Knee to the stomach? Back kick to the thug’s buddy who’s creeping up behind you? Finish him off with a throw or an awesome combo. When you’re done, hold down L and R until the meter fills up and starts flashing: now you made me ANGRY!

27. Sarlix says:

Other than Golden Axe, Streets of Rage was/is the only Console games I ever liked. But then, what 8 year old wouldn’t like biffing men over the head with metal pipes? Unfortunately I never did own a MegaDrive, so I had to spend 8 hours a day around my friends house playing it…That is until his dad went bizarre and kicked me out :-(

P.S Golden Axe remake, please!

28. The Pink Ninja says:

What was the side scroller one with four characters (Dunno if you could have four at once, only ever saw two). One was a white dude in an orange shirt (I think) who was all about the punching and there was a black dude who was all about the kicks.

They were characters two and three. All I can remember about one and two is a generic dude and a generic chick.

It had its own Saturday morning cartoon and I seem to recall fighting alot of raptors as well as dudes.

29. fuggles says:

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs maybe:

• Rinox says:

Apart from having the greatest title ever, that looks like a crapload of fun.

• Dominic White says:

Much as I love SoRR, the best arcade brawlers ever are probably Capcoms mid/late 90s offerings. Aliens Vs Predator, Cyberbots, two Dungeons & Dragons ones, Battle Circuit et al.

The absolute uncontested king of the genre is still Guardian Heroes, though. It also plays fantastically on PC via emulator, especially if you have a couple of USB Saturn pads, like I do.

• Sarlix says:

Dominic, you forgot Punisher :-)

• Dominic White says:

Punisher was decent, but waaay earlier than the ones I mentioned and nowhere near as refined/varied.

• mashakos says:

Guardian Heroes was Capcom? hm, don’t think so…

• Dominic White says:

Guardian Heroes was Treasure, and the single best home-console brawler ever. Capcom absolutely conquered the arcade market, which is what I was getting at.

Seriously, those were some of the fairest arcade games I’ve ever played. A good player could stomp their way through almost anything, and a bad player would burn through lives like there’s no tomorrow.

• Oozo says:

Wow. Every written word in that attract mode video for “Cadillacs&Dinosaurs” is literary gold. Just… wow.

30. Memph says:

Downloaded this in a flurry of nostalgia! I always loved me some beat-em-ups, pumping coins by-the-handful into stuff like the AvP and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs arcades. Very interested in how this plays, being not just another emulator, rom-hack or using the original code in any way. Streets of Rage 1 and 2 killed off many a childhood hour once I got my grubby mitts on a Megadrive.

Final Fight though, although great in arcades and decent on SNES, was a sodding travesty of an Amiga game mind (ports often being as half-assed as console to PC ports are today, funnily enough – anyone remember SFII on Amiga? *shudders*).
    1 fire button, 3 moves. Punch, down and punch to special, up and punch to er…flying kick? It’s greatest sin though was enemies that could and would frequently pin you in an inescapable barrage of attacks that knocked you down again before you even got back up, leaving one to helplessly watch their health bar deplete all the way down to zero in a white-hot seething Cheetah 125 throwing rage of frustration. It looked good though. I think even the train arrival animation made it in.

• terry says:

I owned SF2 on the Amiga and all I remember are the “Insert Disk (x)” prompts.

31. Player1 says:

Go play it, NOW! It’s awesome.

32. The Pink Ninja says:

The more I play this the more I think a 3D, online co-op version on Steam made in the spirit of these sort of games would be AWESOME

• Dominic White says:

Not 3D, but Dungeon Fighter Online is pretty great. Unfortunately, it’s published by Nexon, who hate Europe so much, they won’t even respond to RPS’s attempts to contact them. You need a proxy to hide behind an American IP just to play.

• DrGonzo says:

Dungeon Fighter online is coming to 360 Live Arcade as a free to play game in europe.

• Dominic White says:

Apparently minus the whole ‘free’ thing. Also rumors that the ‘online’ stuff is being lost, too.

33. ZenArcade says:

“Man-thumper” should now be the gold standard term for all beat ’em ups.

• Wulf says:

What about the characters that don’t happen to do any thumping? Or aren’t men? I’d note that Tyris Flare could probably kick the arse of most so-called men. (I say this despite my favourite Golden Axe character being that Panther.)

34. Nick says:

This is so good.

35. zergrush says:

Every time I hear about a beat’em up I remember Guardian Heroes and feel sad for not owning a Sega Saturn anymore :(

Treasure is an awesome dev studio, they should get more recognition.

• Dominic White says:

Find an ISO (the game has been out of print over a decade, I think it falls under fair use/abandonware clauses here) and run it in the emulator SSF. It runs like a charm on any PC with a dual-core processor.

36. Gravy says:

Shiva is power hard. At least he was until they downgraded him to a level one boss on the 3rd game.

link to youtube.com

Also the music is one of the best things of the series.

37. Panzeh says:

The remake is considerably more difficult than the original due to the enemy behavior(the enemies are much quicker than in the originals and they also will keep their distance), that and some of the cheesy stuff has been fixed up. Still well worth buying.

If you like the old beat ’em ups, the DnD ones are actually incredibly good, Shadows over Mystara and Tower of Doom. You’ll have to find a way to emulate them, though. I think Mystara is the best of the beat ’em ups but, that’s just me.

38. mashakos says:

Does anyone know what alex is saying when he’s doing his uppercut? Sounds like “GRAND-BAT-TER!!”
    Still can’t figure it out! Always assumed it was Japanese

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

“Grand Upper”. As in “Grand Uppercut”.

• mashakos says:

whoah, I would have never deciphered that on my own simply because it makes no sense! Or should I say it makes perfect Japasense? (just googled that to see if anybody came up with this pun before. the results are um… NSFW)

ok, I’ve played it a bit and I finally understand. This is a big FU to Sega for releasing a 16-bit console with 8-bit audio hardware. The message is clear: “SEGA, this is what your Megadrive games should have sounded like.”

I was in denial about this for a long time as a kid because my parents wouldn’t buy me an SNES and I had to stand up to all the spoilt SNES brats, but now I see…

Anyway, resolution can’t be adjusted in this thing? Yeesh, do we have to hex edit EVERYTHING these days?

39. bogeymanuk says:

would not like to estimate the hours spent on this game when I was younger. I still have my megadrive, repaired with foil from a kitkat and a genesis cart converter and copy of SOR2, though I haven’t switched it on in quite a while.
    I wonder if they have replicated the infinite hit bug my brother and I stumbled upon one day; punching a thug in the same spot at the same time with both chars causing a looped hit until the thug died, very handy on harder levels with the fat guys with a zillion hp bars:)

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

As I understand it, there are multiple settings for combat in the options. There’s an SOR2 setting, an SOR3 setting, and a Remake combined version. The difference, as I understand it, is the delay between hit and response, and how .. well… here, let me paste from the manual:

PAUSE DELAY
      Sets the delay a character has when hitting anything.

* SOR2: Forces all the characters to have the SOR2 delay, a long delay that emphasizes strategy
      * SOR3: Forces all the characters to have the SOR3 delay, a short delay that makes the action more dynamic
      * COMBINED: Characters have the delay from their original games
      * REMAKE: A middle delay, between SOR2 and SOR3, for players not satisfied with any of the previous ones

40. Dominic White says:

Potential drama! Downloads for the game have been pulled, and Sega is apparently ‘in talks’ with the developers. Lockdown on information beyond that.

Sega have a choice here, and really, there’s only one way they could win.

If they play it cool and give this project official blessing – maybe even official hosting – then they’d rake in huge heaving piles of fan-love, adoration and good press.

If they try and shut it down, then they’re already lost in a hilariously massive way. An estimated 100,000 people (at least) have gotten the game already, and I’ve personally re-hosted it on two seperate sites already. No doubt others are doing the same. If they try to stop it, they’re going to lose a lot of cred and the game will spread like wildfire anyway, just to spite the big corporate bully.

It’d be doubly dickish, as the SoRR team officially ran it past Sega earlier in development.

So, fingers crossed that Sega do the right thing here. They stand to gain a lot if they do. If they don’t, well, just watch as everyone on the internet downloads the game twice over.

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Well, that sh*ts the bed. Hope Sega says “We will release it for moneys” and not “rot in a prison cell, evil programmer geniuses”.

• Dominic White says:

Honestly, the game is already out and for free, in the kinds of numbers that Sega WISHES they could get on their emulated re-releases. It would be a poor move to try and make it a commercial release. But giving official blessing and support for it (as freeware) would likely bring them in a mountain of good press.

The PR fallout from an attempt to kill SoRR would be massive at this point, so it’s not even really an option if the company is behaving in any halfway rational fashion. Fingers crossed that they ARE rational here, for the sake of the SoRR devs. Either way, the game is already out and widely hosted now.

• TWeaK says:

Dammit, I would come along and read this just as the game gets pulled..