The RPS Bargain Bucket: Top, Right?

Got a gap in your gaming schedule this weekend? Here’s the usual five cut price electronic games of chance for you to consider investing your pocket money in. This week is particularly cheap, you could get all five games for less than what a full price new release would normally cost. As always, SavyGamer.co.uk is the home of cheap games on the internet. Engage bargain-o-tron-3000.

Sword of the Stars, PC – £2.92/€3.31/$4.79
Apply coupon “showers” to get this price.
This price is based on buying from the USA store. If the link takes you to the .eu or .co.uk site, just select US from the country picker at the top right. Comes with Born of Blood, A Murder of Crows and Argos Naval Yard expansions. This was on sale at GamersGate last week for a little more, perhaps they’re trying to build some excitement for the upcoming sequel due out later on in the year. RPS coverages here. Cue Vinraith.

Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter – £2.28/€2.58/$3.74
Registers on Steam. Select to pay in dollars to get these prices.
The First Encounter is often reduced to this kind of price, but this is the cheapest I’ve seen The Second Encounter for. Alec’s got you covered with this hugely in depth list of 16 reasons to play Serious Sam HD here, and Kieron goes off on one here.

King’s Bounty: The Legend – £3.05/€3.45/$4.99
A whole host of 1C games are half price this week, King’s Bounty being one of the top picks. Alec once said of King’s Bounty:

King’s Bounty is the future of PC gaming. Stop staring in horror at all those dying MMOs and mendacious, mercenary big devs fleeing for console shores. They’re no loss whatsoever. What we have here is great ideas supported by solid game-making – a new breed of developers freed from the cheerless, focus group-governed rules and oversights of most Western publishers, but now able to pair that with experience and expertise. The Russian scene is about to become absolutely phenomenal, and this charming, thoughtful hybrid is the herald of that new age.

Kind words indeed. RPS coverage here, demo here.

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble – £3.09/€3.50/$5.07
This price is based on buying from the EU store. If the link takes you to the .com or .co.uk site, just select EU from the country picker at the top right. As Kieron put it:

It replaces the RPG combat systems with high-school specific activities. For example, you swap bon mots in the manner of Monkey Island, with the larger structure actually meaning the hunting for the perfect come back feels surprisingly compelling. Other conflicts – such as lying, uncovering secrets and flirting work in similar casual style subgames (Lying is playing a cup-game, the secret uncovering is a word-guessing one and flirting is a pattern recognition thing).

More RPS coverage here.

Deal of the week
GTA4 [Complete Edition] – £4.86/€5.50/$7.96
Apply coupon “showers” to get this price.
This price is based on buying from the USA store. If the link takes you to the .eu or .co.uk site, just select US from the country picker at the top right. This is the best price I can recall having ever seen for GTA4 plus both expansions, although you’ll have to be quick off the mark since this offer expires at some point in the the next 24 hours. Direct2Drive appears to have accidentally leaked what the next week of sales will be, and you can spot them here. There’s a daily special from D2D every day of the month. What do we think folks, are Rockstar going to be gearing up to GTA5 any time soon?

Also of note:
The Potato Sack – £27.22/€34.47/$38.72
JRPG sale
Hearts of Iron sale
Game Factory sale

Check out SavyGamer.co.uk for updates on what games are discounted on all platforms throughout the week.

1. jon_hill987 says:

No Blood Bowl? 75% off on Steam.

link to store.steampowered.com

• Lewie Procter says:

I was going to include it, but a SavyGamer reader pointed out that it is far cheaper at Gamestation.

• malkav11 says:

Not for US readers, though.

• JFS says:

Or anyone else not on the island. Savygamer is a UK site, it’s okay to put the Gamestation offer there, but for RPS with its international audience you might perhaps want to rethink it? :)

• mwoody says:

Steam says “76 hours played” on Blood Bowl. That’s my review.

EDIT: Oh, and little aside for new players: normal is harder than hard, and since the AI is pretty crappy overall, that’s a big problem. In other words, play on normal.

• apricotsoup says:

To expand on mwoody, the bloodbowl AI goes into 3 categories, easy = lots of risk taking, hard is playing it very safe and normal is a mix of the two. This makes hard the most predictable and thus less of a challenge.

The meat of the game is the multiplayer though so don’t expect the AI to keep you going for that long.

• Lobotomist says:

Also got it for 9.99$ which is much cheaper than 4 pounds.

I guess its time to finaly try it. But i am getting my ass handed over – and i play on easy setting – since i thought its fitting for newbie ?

But now you say i should play on hard as a newbie ??!!

• Gepetto says:

‘Also got it for 9.99$ which is much cheaper than 4 pounds’

Er, no. It’s not.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, it’s not cheaper on the face of it, but I expect when you factor in international shipping…

• Lobotomist says:

Exactly.
      10$ is 6 pounds.

But what about delivery ? I bet that even to england its more expensive

• apricotsoup says:

The learning curve in blood bowl is pretty damn severe essentially kicking you in the teeth.

I’d still say easy is the easiest as the opponent is most likely to make stupid mistakes.

For learning the game the best way is always to find someone friendly to help you through a game online, there’s often people around willing to help. Beyond that lots of reading can help but most people find that a bit boring.

• mwoody says:

Oh, and another big point: ignore Blitz mode. What you want to play is Classic. Classic is basically just Blood Bowl, the tabletop game, and it has a ruleset fine tuned to a razor’s edge over decades of players and thousands of games. Blitz is a modified game with gameplay mechanics added by the devs.

It seems so obvious that you’d want Blitz, but here’s the thing: it’s horrible. It’s like Cyanide never actually played Blood Bowl. They screw the balance up completely and add patently un-fun mechanics like “pay $50000 for a 1 in 5 chance of this character getting +1 stats for the next game” or “players retire of old age right as they get good” or other completely inane and thoroughly gamebreaking nonsense. What’s more, the Blitz version is buggy as hell – last time I tried it, you lost all of your money at the end of every match due to a miscalculation in how it handled salaries.

So yeah, Classic all the way and you’re golden. And to clarify: yes, my 76 hours were all singleplayer. This is one damn addictive game. Chaos rules.

• Tomm says:

Yeah you really need to invest some time reading the rule book for the tabletop game. You’ll find it much easier when you understand why things happen and how the dice rolls/probabilities stack up.

• Persus-9 says:

The £4 is actually delivered and I’ll be in the UK next week. I’m kind of tempted to upgrade from my Dark Elves edition which I played a fair bit of awhile back but never got round to braving multiplayer. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether upgrading is worth it?

• malkav11 says:

Legendary Edition something more than doubles the number of teams on offer, adds more stadiums, makes the AI better (still rubbish though), updates the rules to the latest, adds weather, adds new inducements and other such things, and in general just makes the game much better. So, yes, if you liked the previous Blood Bowl release, $10 for Legendary is well worth it.

• Lewie Procter says:

To clarify, I’m not saying because it is available for UK people for less it is useless to everyone, just it means it is not as good of a deal overall to anyone, and I thought that the other games which are cheap to everyone are more worthy of being highlighted.
      I’d probably be equally hesitant to post a deal that was much cheaper at retail for people in the USA, for example. I generally dislike this kind of regional pricing structure, and am often hesitant to post deals that are more expensive for some people, although the reality is that some places get the short end of the stick more often, and there’s not much I can do about that.
      I should have included Blood Bowl in the also of note section, but it slipped my mind, so thanks for mentioning it jon.

Edit: There’s also a limit to how many currencies my brain can think in at once.

2. Bilbo says:

I was pretty unimpressed by King’s Bounty, actually. I wanted to like it, but such tactics as there were weren’t immediately accessible and a lot of what was going on felt pretty token and forgettable. But if you’re in the mood for a little grinding, have a fiver to spare and don’t have a backlog of other games you could be playing (which, I’ll admit, is a rather hard and unfair backdrop to pit any game against), you could probably do a lot worse.

• Lilliput King says:

I agree. I did sink an embarrassing number of hours into it, though. Like an ARPG it’s a nice thing to play while listening to music and not really paying much attention.

• Vandelay says:

I grew tired of it pretty quickly too, after buying the complete set. Which was a shame, after all the raving it got on here. It felt very grindy, unless I was doing something wrong, and there just didn’t seem to be that much to the combat.

• JonathanStrange says:

King’s Bounty is probably my favourite sorta-kinda-new franchise in the last few years, even kicking the ass of the likes of Mass Effect and the like. Yes yes yes, I know it’s a remake/spiritual successor/reboot of the original King’s Bounty from way back in ye olden days when games came on floppies and the like. Makes no difference, whatever it is I bloody love it!

Not even sure what it is about the series but whatever it is, it’s made me put honestly embarrassing amounts of time in the two King’s Bounty games I own. I’ve sunk more time into Legend and Armoured Princess than I’ve put into WOW over the course of two or three years combined, and WOW is supposed to be some sort of digital crack according to the countless people who whine about it.

What does that make King’s Bounty? Heroine? Marijuana? Tylenol?

Whatever it is, more please!

• Bilbo says:

Yeah, there’s a lot of very strong rhetoric like that about King’s Bounty, people saying they love it and that they’ve sunk huge amounts of time into it, but what’s rarely forthcoming is “why”. I mean unless I’m mistaken, it isn’t story, it isn’t tactical depth, it isn’t multiplayer… I don’t get it.

• Demiath says:

King’s Bounty is incredibly grindy, and The Legend in particular has really poor pacing and outstays its welcome (…which is why it’s easier to recommend Armored Princess/Orcs on the March with its comparatively bite-sized structure). There’s quite a bit more to the combat than has been suggested by previous comments, though (especially on the harder difficulty levels)…and that’s not even counting the elaborate meta-game of “no losses” playthroughs which has become so popular among the diehard KB fans…

• trjp says:

I tend to agree with the original Eurogamer (I think it was) piece which said it was a 10/10 game with an 8/10 combat system.

Fights range wildly from too-easy to impossible – but the rest of the game is top-notch and all at a time when HOMM was really struggling, so it’s easy to see where the love comes from…

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Well, to me King’s Bounty was a revelation. There it was finally a game that picked one of my most appreciated genres, extended it to the modern days and made it even more fun than the initial classic, while demolishing any Heroes of Might & Magic installment since. The expansion was also great and I spent numerous hours playing the game.

• BooleanBob says:

Well what happened is that it has this zombie you can marry, and divorce, right, and that kind of zany whacky-ness just makes for such good blog copy that well who cares about it being a game so grindy you could sharpen an axe on it.

(This post is trying to be tongue in cheek, but actually I don’t know how to make it seem so without explicitly pointing it out with this decidedly inelegant little disclaimer.)

• JonathanStrange says:

Series certainly has its flaws, but I don’t think combat is one of them. Play the game on the harder difficulties and every single unit ability becomes integral, mana conservation and spell use is essential, and the difference between a knight who gets a proper charge and one who does can be devastating.

Do I use my rage to form a temporary wall with which to hold off enemies from this side, or do I use it for damage? Should I summon a phoenix to soak up some damage from enemies and harass enemy archers, or use less mana ‘cursing’ the archers without actually harming them in the hopes I’ll be able to get within melee range of them with my main units before the spell wears off and my units are left exposed?

Gets intense and has great tactical depth. The massive variety in units is also fun to play with and discover combinations of units which work well together. It’s this sort of gameplay I’ve missed from the old Heroes of Might & Magic and Age of Wonders sort of games.

Great soundtrack too:

• malkav11 says:

There’s actually quite a bit of depth to the combat, more so than I can recall encountering in the Heroes of Might and Magic games. The thing is, the balancing of the actual encounters is a bit random.

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

KB is the deal of the week, really. It more or less always is.

• jaheira says:

KB is extraordinarily compulsive. It’s very strong on character progression, better than most RPGs, and the limited availability of any one type of troop means your army has to change over time. Combining these two makes the game an ever-evolving experience.
      According to Steam I’ve played KB and Armored Princess for over 150 hours in total. Crazy.

• snickersnack says:

“For anyone into Heroes of Might & Magic type of games, this is your golden pot at the end of the rainbow.”

I’ve heard that one before. HoMM5 is one of my favorite games and I couldn’t stand King’s Bounty the Legend. Considering all the praise it received I was really disappointed so definately YMMV.

• Boult Upright says:

I loved it. And to continue the theme, I can’t explain why. That is perhaps the beauty of it.

• trjp says:

As Malkav says, balancing was a problem. It’s been years since I played it but my memory was some frustrating encounters with highly resistant creatures of creatures I had little defence against…

I love the overall structure of the game tho – enough to ignore those faults.

I never played the sequels and DLCs tho – did they fix the combat much??

• Pointless Puppies says:

I’m noticing a pattern. Every time people rave about a game that they can’t explain why they like, I end up not liking said game. This weird “funness” ether that seems to glow from the screen doesn’t work for me. I have to have concrete reasons as to why I like the game or else I just don’t end up liking it. I never magically have “fun” just because.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

It’s a known behavioral pattern. It’s not because people can’t explain why they like something. It’s simply because you already have a pre-formed opinion on the matter, and by being exposed to other people good opinions on that subject, you subconsciously attribute their opinion (and not your pre-formed or pre-disposition) as the real cause why you dislike something.

Incidentally, you should avoid it. It’s no always easy to realize we are doing it, but you do end up disliking something for the very same reasons you “accuse” others of liking them.

Absolute nonsense! No one is that analytical so that I have to find a justification to every thing they like or dislike. Neither is anyone perfectly balanced on their likings and dislikings (everyone can like things that are very similar to other things they dislike).

If you really had to have a concrete, palpable, cause to every thing you liked, you couldn’t enjoy many things in life, for which we simply cannot find any reason. Unless there’s something wrong with your head (which I’m sure there isn’t), if you really think you have a concrete reason for everything you like, you are only deluding yourself.

• Pointless Puppies says:

You’re misunderstanding me. Said opinions don’t affect any pre-conceived notions of a game negatively. If anything, it gives me positive notions of what I expect a game to be. If I read a multitude of people raving about the game, I put it in my list of things to look into, and once I buy a game and the instant I start playing it, I make my own opinion without referring back to what other people said about it.

I’m only noticing a pattern here. When people say “I loved this game and I can’t tell why”, I tend to not like the game. Not BECAUSE they said what they said, but because the game itself just didn’t amuse me.

Again, you’re misunderstanding me. When I play a game and I like it, I CAN trace back to the things I liked. I CAN say “I liked Assassin’s Creed for its immersive atmosphere and fluidity in movement” and expand from there if I wanted. I don’t play games with a checklist and writing down every aspect, but I do have a general sense as to the reasons why I enjoy it. It’s part of my subconscious. Even if I wanted to, I can’t have fun from a game “just because”. Again, these are my TENDENCIES. They’re not things I specifically seek out, and they’re not things I consciously do. I’m just saying from my experience, if people can’t point out a thing they like in games, I tend to not like said game. TEND to. It’s not something I go out of my way to think. Others’ opinions only do so much for me. The most they do is get me to buy a game, but the moment said game is fired up the only thing affecting my opinion of it is the game itself. It’s why I’ve disliked many things that are universally loved and loved many things that are universally hated.

Though I must say this: I don’t like your attitude. Saying my opinions and personal experiences are “complete nonsense” and “delusional” just because they don’t agree with your personal experiences is completely infantile and narrow minded. Don’t tell me how to feel or that my feelings are “nonsense”.

• bill says:

I’m in the same boat as a lot of you. I’m playing KB now and I’m enjoying it – but i’m not exactly sure why.
      There is definitely something compelling about it – maybe just it’s enthusiasm. It’s a little weird (i got my zombie wife!) but not really weird enough for that to be compelling. It’s very very very grindy and far far far too long – so i’m thinking of stopping even though i’m enjoying it.

The combat really seems to be the weak point – it’s very repetitive and there isn’t really any strategy. They made all these cool units with loads of cool abilities, but i wonder if it would have been better if it was a little more simple, but with positioning, flanking, cover and ganging up being factors.
      It gets better later once you unlock some basic tactical abilites, but it’s never much more than Final Fantasy.

Oh. And the other problem with the battles is that they tend to be too easy or too hard. Easy or equal ones can drag on way too long when it’s clear you’ll win. (needs an option for the enemy to surrender), ones where the enemy is a little more powerful are fun, but ones where you have no chance of winning are annoying.

So yeah… fun but why?

• Saiko Kila says:

I’ve never got tired of this, but how many times you can finish a game? :) Also, I have much fun somewhere in the middle, when my armies and character are strong, but not overpowered.

3. Dominic White says:

I’ll chip in on Sword of The Stars:

The art is amateurish, the voice-acting is at times laughable, and the engine is a little creaky/unoptimized.

Other than that, it’s the single best 4x game I’ve played since Master Of Orion 2. Really good, involved space combat, light-but-flexible empire building, races that play WILDLY different from one another, an interesting setting and a whole boatload of random ‘galactic threat’ encounters that can shake up an entire campaign. One race tried forcing AI research too hard? Welp, half their fleet have just gone Skynet on all organic life, have fun!

• Alexander Norris says:

I’d love to be able to buy it, as I’ve been waiting for SotS Complete to go on sale for a while, but the D2D site keeps emptying my cart every time I hit the checkout button. :/

• Bilbo says:

That…sounds…awesome!

• Paul B says:

I’d love to buy SotS too, but I kept on failing the phone authorization, and now it says I’ve exceeded the number of times I can do do it (sigh).

• JonathanStrange says:

I’m intrigued, but also hesitant to sign up to yet another downloadable game service just to download it. I’m getting tired of having my games spread across a veritable library of different services.
      How does this game compare to more recent space 4x games like Galactic Civilizations 2? RPS doesn’t really have much coverage of the series, and aside from the demo I’m downloading right now, there’s not really much press on the series out there I can find.

• Dominic White says:

Interestingly, the D2D version of SOTS Complete is the DVD release contents, autorun stuff and all. Download it, burn it to disc, and you’ve got yourself a nice online-independent hardcopy.

As for how it compares to Galciv 2? It’s almost the complete opposite, design-wise. Empire-building is streamlined and there’s nothing as finicky as manually laying out planetary colonies. The focus is far more on combat, which is full 3D and physics-based. Different races even move differently in combat. For instance, the cetacean Liir have inertialess drives, letting then swarm and strafe around a target while bringing all weapons to bear. Other races have more traditional thrust-based engines, making them much faster once they’re pointing at a destination, but less agile up close.

It’s kinda like Total War in space.

• JonathanStrange says:

Thank you very much for the reply. I’ll try out the demo as well later when I’ve the chance, the whole Total War comparison has left me even more intrigued than before.

• Arathain says:

If it pushes anyone over the edge the spaceship design of Sword of the Stars is really excellent. It’s very simple to achieve, but the range of possible designs is extraordinary. It makes the enormous tech tree a thing of joy- a host of shiny death toys to be uncovered.

• Vinraith says:

I haven’t got much to add to what Dominic’s said, though I will note that the demo is for the base game only, and the base game was nothing to write home about. SotS became great because of its expansions, and sadly there’s no demo of the fully expanded game.

• Dozer says:

Do want. But not from D2D. Screw Murdoch!

• mod the world says:

@Dozer
      Totally agree, but i wish i had your resolution. D2D US + UK is a shopping paradise for europeans ripped of by Steam. When i could buy Shogun 2 for 24€ there instead of 50€ at Steam i just couldn’t resist :(

• Saiko Kila says:

SotS is the best modern space 4X in my opinion, I spent hundreds on hours on it. And I play practically two races only. The problem with SotS I still notice – it’s taxing on hardware, even quite powerful, due to high amount of physics calculation and the not-so-good optimization.

• Dozer says:

@The World: to be honest, the fact that my computer was designed by Charles Babbage and last upgraded by Adam Turing helps a lot in making the decision to not spend money on most of the games recommended here :-(

4. James Allen says:

Age of Fear, a fantasy turn-based strategy game, comes out tomorrow and is 50% off the first week and 25% off the second week. There are also demos for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

5. iLag says:

also of note: Bounce! is 2,-€ on Desura: link to desura.com
    No idea how good this is, but I faintly remember reading genreally good things about it.

and Metal Brigade Tactics: 2,69€ via Impulse: link to impulsedriven.com

I’ve also got a twitter feed for digital distribution deals, with emphasis on the European (aka generally screwed by regional restrictions) customer. Feel free to look at it: link to twitter.com

6. Josh04 says:

If I change the prices to dollars on GetGames, they change back on the checkout page. Any help?

• Lewie Procter says:

Can you select “rest of the world” at checkout? Looks like they have changed how they managed currency a bit.

• Josh04 says:

It lets me select it before I log in, but once it’s got my billing address it’s stuck in pounds. Ah well, it’s still a good price.

• Lamb Chop says:

I had the same problem. Charged me $6.14 post conversion.

• Kez says:

Same for me, so I quit the order. Didn’t like the ol’ switcheroo!

7. Navagon says:

“Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble”

So they couldn’t get the St Trinian’s license then? :P

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

They went for a different angle, it’s set in ’20s America and the girls are proto-flappers (as in that’s probably what they’ll grow up to be, but there is a fair bit of play on their naïveté).

• Navagon says:

Ah damn those blasted flappers! They’ll be wanting the vote next.

That’s certainly a different premise for a game though, I’ll give it that.

• jaheira says:

This is an excellent game. Very nice use of 20s lingo.

• Matzerath says:

This is a really original and fun game. It’s aesthetics are different than most any video game out there — think of a board game that somehow has an expanding plot, a host of interesting mini-challenges, and multiple game boards. I would call it charming, and pretty funny. This is something our resident board-game fanatics should check out.

• qrter says:

Love that game. It’s original and witty, I don’t think I’ve played anything like it, really.

• Keith Nemitz says:

I would LOVED to have got the Belles of St Trinian’s license!!!

But not being Brit, I would have blown it big time. Thanks for the kind words. :-)

• JuJuCam says:

Just don’t let the board game theming fool you. It’s actually fairly linear, but not in a bad way as the stories are well told and deal with some quite mature themes.

8. Persona Jet Rev says:

The coupon code for Sword of the Stars is “kapow”, which is actually a 20% off code for everything (or so they say) on D2D.

In any case, I just bought SotS, Magicka + Vietnam DLC with the discount.

• Gerard says:

‘showers’ is also a 20% coupon for everything on D2D (that is, I tested it on a couple and it worked).

Edit: I just tried ‘kapow’ and it didn’t work for Crysis 2.

• Lewie Procter says:

Kapow is UK, showers is USA. Both are 20% off anything.

9. Giaddon says:

In the US, Direct2Drive has a “Transportation” sale, which sounds like it would be full of the most, uh, niche experiences, but actually has some more popular fair, like the WW2 wargame Achtung Panzer ($3.20 with coupon) and HAWX 2 ($6 w/coupon).

Sale page here:
    link to direct2drive.com

• mwoody says:

Damn, was hoping for Cities in Motion to be in that one, as it seemed the most logical recent fit to the theme. Liked the demo, but not quite $20 liked it.

• Oak says:

A couple of things:

– Bus Driver is fun, and rather endearing.

– Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 doesn’t work on Windows 7. Don’t go getting your heart broken.

• Kaira- says:

“- Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 doesn’t work on Windows 7. Don’t go getting your heart broken.”

Wait, it installed on my Win7 Professional x64 just fine. Though I got it from, well, a little less honorable place, if you catch my drift.

10. Boult Upright says:

Disciples III is $US10 and Partician IV is $US15 on Beamdog. I have not played any of the prequels. Are either of these worth my time?

• Doesntmeananything says:

Don’t know about Patrician, but never ever touch Disciples III. On the contrary, Disciples II with or without expansions is pretty great.

• Fumarole says:

I second the recommendation for Disciples II. I haven’t played III but heard very bad things about it.

11. Chizu says:

Direct2drive won’t let me buy from the US version of the store, it tells me items are not available because of my IP.
    I can only checkout items from the UK store…
    Which means the higher prices :/

12. Conor says:

Bah and humbug, D2D doesn’t let me use the US store. How very dare they!

EDIT: Although I suppose you’re only saving 18p if you use the “kapow” 20% off code for the UK, so it’s not a biggy.

EDIT2: Although it would be nice to stop throwing up errors when I try to check out. BAH AND HUMBUG.

13. A-Scale says:

Don’t bother with GTA4. It’s only fun for a couple of hours, then the characters get introduced and killed off so fast that the actual game portions of the game come to the fore in all their ugly glory, and get boring quite quickly.

• PickyBugger says:

However I would happily pay the price just to play the game through with -9 friction.

If you haven’t seen it before check out link to youtube.com for example…

• Doesntmeananything says:

I heard that the expansions were greatly improved in the story department, so for that price I’d still say it’s a very neat offer and everyone should take advantage of it.

• DrGonzo says:

I would recommend getting it and would also say it’s the best open world game made over the last few years. Maybe even go as far as saying it’s one of the best games made in the last few years actually.

And the add ons are much improved yes. My favourite being the one where you are the Jewish motorbike gang. Ballad of Gay Tony was also satisfying and over the top and featured the best mission in the entire GTA series.

14. Xocrates says:

It seems Shattered Horizon is 50% off on Steam as well, and already includes bots.

I’m surprised they didn’t advertise or made a free weekend out of it.

15. Latterman says:

I’d love to get one of those Direct2Drive games but apparently their payment system is broken and trying to pay via paypal gives me a cryptic “server error”.

A quick search tells me i’m not alone and there’s no real fix apparently. Joy

• wcanyon says:

Likewise. Never used Direct2Drive before. Looks pretty bargain basement to me. They run a weekend sale, then their phone verification system goes down. Amateur league. I get this message: “We could not validate your transaction. Please contact Customer Service…” Great, the sale will be over by then.

16. Red_Avatar says:

Mass Effect 2 for just 7.96$ using the “showers” code – I had to use a VPN since I’m not from the US though but it worked!

17. Durandir says:

Firstly, us Norwegians are also not able to get the “showers” deal on GTAIV: Complete Edition.
    Secondly, the “showers” code only subtracts 7.99 dollars, the actual price turns out to be 31.96. Is this just me not understanding how you write your posts, or have you read the deal wrong?

• Lewie Procter says:

Sorry, as I mentioned in the post, it was a time limited offer, which appears to have now expired. Looks like you missed it.

It’ll no doubt be similarly discounted again some time soon. Keep an eye on SavyGamer and I’ll be sure to post it when I see it.

• Durandir says:

Ah, that’s right. I should have read it a bit more thorough. I do hope I get it for that price some day in the future. Got the game on X360, but want it on PC for mods. Anyway, keep up the good work!

18. Dozer says:

The header image – is nice, but is copyright Valve? The cake is a ™!

19. Lewie Procter says:

@Vinraith
    I’m disappointed. You’ve always posted really passionate lengthy comments about SOTS whenever appropriate in the past, and when I namecheck you on it, you leave me hanging :(

• Wulf says:

I could write long, passionate, paragraphs about how entirely smitten I am with the Liir, if you like. They’re just about everything I could want from an alien race, almost, and pretty much damn near my every desire for one personified. The only bad part of SotS is the Universe they found themselves in. :C

• Vinraith says:

I’m a notoriously contrarian creature, Lewie. :)

More seriously, I’m really freaking busy today, and haven’t really got the time to get involved in a lengthy and passionate discussion of that sort. Sorry!

• Lewie Procter says:

Fair enough, I’m sure it’ll appear in the bucket again at some point, and hopefully you’ll be less busy next time. ;D

20. Wulf says:

The best for me out of this lot was actually the so-called JRPG collection, I don’t know whether or not they actually are, but more indie games done in the style. I came across a gem called Dreamscape which I’ve been enjoying thus far. It essentially surrounds the notion of dream walking, which gives them an excuse to introduce you to a lot of bizarre locations within a short space of time without really needing to connect them with each other, much, thematically beyond the art style. So that’s fun.

It reminds me of an old PlayStation game in some respects, that had a game about dream walking too, but I forget what that was called. But yeah, this has been pretty funny, and the arguments between the main character and the talking cat are genuinely endearing and sometimes good for a laugh. The dialogue can be slightly stilted at times, but it gets across what it wants to with it, and it does have a slightly slow start before you gain access to a bunch of dreams.

The best thing about it though is that in presentation it really is similar to older console RPGs, but it uses a lot of very modern ideas – puzzles, adventure elements, a more casual learning/difficulty curve, autosaves and being able to save whenever you want outside of combat(!!), Metroidvania-ish stuff that results in new areas opening up once you’ve obtained the tools to pass through them, and just generally a very different style than we’re used to. If you at all liked 16-bit RPGs but find them far too outdated and time-intensive these days, then I heartily recommend this, without reservation. The only caveat is, like I said, that the dialogue can be a little stilted.

• MD says:

Thanks Wulf, I was hoping someone would have something to say about the JRPG sale. I’ve been considering picking up one or two of them, but I wasn’t sure where to begin and internet reviews aren’t always that helpful when I’m unfamiliar with the reviewer.

Sounds like Dreamscape is worth a go; does anyone else have any experience with the other JRPGs in the GamersGate sale? Even a simple ‘avoid’ would be helpful.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

The thing about those “JRPGs” is that all but Recettear (which is a management sim with dungeon crawling, also the only game of the bunch actually made in Japan) and Shira Oka (which is a dating sim) are basically RPG Maker games with a price tag.
      If this style of game imitating SNES JRPGs is new to you, maybe you should look for finished free games made with RPG Maker, of which there are plenty. Most of the free alternatives are not much lower in quality than those offered in the sale, to be honest.

Edit: Also, those free games aren’t rocking SecuROM. Ha ha.

• Wulf says:

Eh, sod it, not going to bother.

People can check out the games and see if they like them. I’m just going retract this because I don’t want to seem that angry any more. But really, I still think that it’s as self-entitled as hell to think that people can’t sell games, and to make blanket statements about how these games were all developed with an old RPG making engine without any proof.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

There is no reason to get angry. All of the games I said were made using RPG Maker were made using RPG Maker. There is nothing wrong with that. There are new versions of the engine every other year or so, and they are quite capable game creation systems even beyond the classic JRPG style.

There is also nothing wrong with selling those efforts, and if nothing else you are guaranteed a finished game with lots of content for any of the offers in that sale.

I was only posting because I got the impression that RPG Maker games were genuinely new to you, so I wanted to highlight that there were in fact plenty of free efforts that are of comparable quality in that segment.

• Giaddon says:

The Spirit Engine 2 is an interesting, and free, JRPG (sort of) that’s very much worth checking out if you enjoy the genre. Interesting combat system, especially. RPS has written about it, I think.
      link to thespiritengine.com

21. NightKid says:

Edit: Nevermind, it doesn’t seems to be working for pre-orders

22. Saiko Kila says:

I was just able to buy Magicka DLC on D2D using “showers” code, from Europe. But this may be because my account was created in the US, and is treated as American, payable in dollars thru PP. Anyway, it seems their IP checking policy isn’t as strongly enforced as Steams’.

23. Kaira- says:

@ Maximillion
    Oh well, in that case. Should’ve read the page with more care, obviously.

Edit:/ Oh reply fail, how do I love you.

24. geldonyetich says:

I picked up Sword of the Stars complete in last week’s GamersGate sale and have been playing the hell out of it since.

I had dismissed it as a lesser streamlined 4X Space Empire game for the past few years and was pleasantly surprised to discover it was a game that included:

* A lot of effort into creating 6 unique-feeling races with rich histories, unique travel mechanics, different performing ships, ect.
    * An incredibly detailed combat engine that includes ships that generate interia and richocheting shells
    * A tech tree that partially randomizes each game.
    * Rich multiplayer support that includes allowing players to drop and rejoin mid-game.

Where’s this game been all my life? Consider me a convert. Sword of the Stars Complete was an incredible bargain at $7, and now even moreso at $5.

25. wcanyon says:

Can I just say that Direct2Drive’s site is utter shite? Apparently it would really prefer that you use IE but it never tells you that. Then I went to purchase a game and I can’t because their phone verification system had some screwup and can’t call me or somesuch. I’ve never had to work so hard to give someone 5 bucks.