Sky Walker: Be In BioShock Infinite

If your name is Saltonstall, you probably shouldn't bother entering

I’m changing my name to Brian Nothing. This, I feel, is my best hope of being selected to be the gamer whose name is given to a character or location in Bioshock Infinite. Think about it: a sort of home-spun domesticity, coupled with a statement of nihilism. It’s perfect for a game about a conflict-torn community in the sky. Maybe, though, I shouldn’t have changed my name to Alec Meer from Alec Zeppelin-Lord al those years ago. Honestly, I kind of regret that now.

Your potential name-sake won’t necessarily be a person, however: “You could end up as the namesake of a building, a character, a business–whatever our artists come up with. It’s the ultimate bragging rights”, claim Irrational.

It’s all a bit of a lottery, obviously, as the name of only one entrant to this digi-fame competion will be used. To enter, head over here and give ’em your full name. They will then steal your soul, and following that select one person of many for this pixel infamy.

The thingy closes on April 13, so get a wriggle on if you want to be in with a chance of getting shot by hundreds of thousands of gamers.

1. MiniMatt says:

“I shouldn’t have changed my name to Alec Meer” – on the plus side it did land you a name drop on those dodgy car insurance commercials. Sorry, been trying to find a way to crowbar that in, best I could do.

2. kikito says:

That is a shiny bald patch.

• Navagon says:

A truly appropriate use of bloom.

• cliffski says:

bloom is the new lens flare.
      annoying as hell isn’t it. I don’t think the real world glows like that, unless a nuke has just gone off 10 feet away…

• Gnoupi says:

I wouldn’t compare it to the lens flare.
      Bloom, motion blur and “depth of field” are the new ways to make 3D look less “pixely”, mostly popularized by the current generation of consoles.

These are effects which are going nicely on a television, giving an illusion of a “movie-like” experience with limited performances. When you can’t decently add more polygons, the only way to make the image smoother is to filter it, to erase pixely details

It’s still far from the real world, but the previous step was to put bumpmap and reflective surfaces everywhere, so I guess we move in a correct direction, if the goal is to have “real” graphics for 3D.

3. Man Raised by Puffins says:

I do hope one of these fine ladies or gents enters: link to tinyurl.com
    I look forward to seeing the Col. Many-Bears Grinder Municipal Zoo, Quadrophenia Taylor’s Push Scooter Rental and the Rockwell Bonecutter Free Clinic. Oh, and Courvoisier Winetavius Richardson propping up the bar.

4. Durandir says:

Not open for us Norwegians. Huge sadface. But then again, how the hell would they be able to cram Mads Dahl Olavsbråten in there?

• Navagon says:

I don’t know. Mad Dahl would be a pretty fitting character name.

• Ralud says:

Since swedes are allowed to enter you should just submit since Norway is the capitol of Sweden.

5. MadTinkerer says:

I apologize in advance if my alternate-history namesake is a mad scientist who invents a plasmid used by enemies in the game (I hope, I hope, I hope) who kill your character. The weeping and gnashing of teeth of players around the world, including whoever Wot I Thinks this game, is surely not something one would hope to have one’s name attached to (muahahahaha).

6. Navagon says:

Well I’ve entered. Let’s hope this Bioshock has some of the dodgiest names yet.

7. thepaleking says:

Submitted mine. Hope they can fit Max Von Bonninvonningburger onto something.

8. Rii says:

Well this is about the least interesting news I could imagine regarding what is currently my most anticipated game.

9. Jetsetlemming says:

My real name sounds fake so I fear even if I win a lottery I’ll be disqualified in bad faith. Oh, woe is me.

10. Tei says:

My name is not important.

But I am ugly and fat. If want to create a horrible moster, can use my face.

• Rii says:

Tei I had always thought of you as some kind of many-armed, many-headed Hindu figure sitting in respose and dispensing wisdom at your leisure.

• RCGT says:

Speaking of Hindus, I am one! But shortened my real name, so any references to Hindu gods are now only hints, instead of blatant references. Wouldn’t want “Shiva’s Spirits” I think.

11. sinister agent says:

“Bioshock infinite”?

For christ’s sake. Why can’t people just NUMBER things instead of coming up with these pathetic buzzword-y names for them? They’re not fooling anyone; just needlessly complicating things a few years down the line when you’re trying to talk about the game or remember which was which.

• Dominic White says:

Bioshock 2 was a sequel to Bioshock. Bioshock Infinite isn’t a sequel. It’s set in a completely different setting, in an even earlier time-period, but it has a few shared elements.

• Urthman says:

The problem is that “Bioshock Infinite” sounds like a “cute” way of numbering a sequel without using a “real” number. They should have named it after something indicative of the gameplay or setting.

Maybe “Bioshock: Rim of the Sky” or “Bioshock: Clear Sky” or something

• Zwebbie says:

I call it either Fly-o-Shock or Sky-o-Shock; those names are nice and indicative of the content.

• Jason Moyer says:

Mainstream games aren’t named by a bunch of people who like games, they’re named by a bunch of marketing people. Shocking I know.

12. Rii says:

Despite my anticipation for this game, it does have one of the worst titles ever to be bestowed upon a videogame. I know there’s supposed to be some in-universe explanation behind it, and I don’t care. It’s terrible.