These Tribes Ascend Screens Are Sexy

Jetpacks: like excited backpacks.

Holy smokes. PC Gamer reports that Global Agenda developers Hi-Rez Studios have released the first two screenshots of Tribes Ascend on the game’s Facebook page, and they look plenty promising (especially so if that giant ship you can see above is accessible and a part of the level). Hi-Rez would hardly be my first choice to develop a new Tribes game, but fingers crossed they’ll blow this out of the water and prove me for a fool. Full images after the jump.

Click for bigger! Big enough to examine the sole of that guy’s shoe. Do it!

1. Longrat says:

Oh man, looks great!

• meatshit says:

I believe the proper interjection is “Shazbot!”

• Shazbut says:

What? What is it?

• Aymes says:

“The Flag is NOT in the BASE!”

and so on…

Also, Disc Launcher! Whey!

I loved the original tribes, my first online shooter…

• LionsPhil says:

It looks blurry to me, past the gun. Let me see past the gun.

Please. Enough already with the DoF and insane amounts of motion blur. That’s not how eyes or the brain work. Let me see the pretties crisply as if I were actually a person standing there and if I look at a different point my eyes adjust subconciously without having to precisely turn to face it. (The brain also has a habit of trying to “undo” or edit out motion blur, which is why if you look to your side suddenly the world does not turn into a smear.)

Because that gun is quite nicely textured!

• tstapp1026 says:

oh my… OH MY!!! I recall my first mid-air disc shot and how that propelled me into Tribes stardom when I became an ace at it. It looks like the old +HS+ dueling crew will need a revival.

I hope the newest release will allow for modding as well. The “Renegades” servers added a whole new (and exciting) dimension to the original Tribes.

Rocketeering Heavy incoming!!!

• BooleanBob says:

The game’s shazbot? Jez, the game’s the shazbot.

2. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Why does it have a gun that shoots men with jetpacks? I don’t think that’s the true spirit of Tribes.

• Moni says:

But it would be awesome. You go to your team mate and say, “I need a boost!” Then you jump onto the end of his gun, and he points you at the bad guys and fires! “WHOOSH!” you shout, because for some reason your jet pack isn’t making any noise.

• thessalian_pine says:

Sounds like something Duke Nukem would do. Jump on his gun, will ya?
      Anyway Tribes, Tribes, Tribes!

• Teddy Leach says:

These are small, but the ones over there are far away. Small. Far away.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Indeed.

• Christian O. says:

Everybody does it. Even Superman.

link to the-isb.com

3. Gnoupi says:

Looks great! (and those are apparently some powerful jetpacks).

Global Agenda turned out to be quite good (after several patches), the current version is quite pleasant to play. (And I recommend anyone to give it a try, since it’s somehow F2P now: link to globalagendagame.com )

So I’m quite confident in their capacity to deliver a good Tribes heir.

4. Tom says:

all i wanna know is, will i be able to fly up to that ship?

5. AndrewC says:

Tribes Ascend? Ascend where? Oooooo that’s going to drive me meeeeeeeental.

6. feffrey says:

The three parts of any tribes game: armour, jetpacks and the spinfusor.

7. Lilliput King says:

Please be good.

8. Squishpoke says:

Hard thump from underneath desk.

• BloodPukeSalvation says:

wow that’s quick wood action there.

• Pinky G says:

The potential this game has certainly causes a rush of blood to the ‘head’.
      I play Tribes 2 still monthly at a minimum.

• Josh W says:

Actually he leant back in awe, and that was the sound of his knees connecting with the bottom of the desk as he overbalanced.

9. Rush Ton says:

While we all know that the Witcher 2 will be better, looks kind of prommising with proper jet-packs rather than the glorified jumps.

10. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Good grief, lovely.

However inevitable whiny issue, mein gott the weapon model takes up a huge portion of the screen, in Tribes of all games, that’s no good.

• Voxel_Music_Man says:

I have to agree, it’s like he’s holding the gun right up to his cheek (but not to look down the scope).

• Highstorm says:

Yeah, that was the first thing that stood out to me.

11. BathroomCitizen says:

Could it be adjustable with a FOV setting?

Anyway… TRIBES I MISSED YOUUUUUUU

12. roryok says:

Is it just me or are ammo counter thingies on the back of guns getting bigger all the time? If we’re not careful we’ll end up with ads popping up in there.

“BUY CHEAP BULLETS NOW – WHY WAIT?”

• LionsPhil says:

I’m also wondering why it says “SAFE” on the display, given the holder appears to be in a combat zone.

• SAM-site says:

It says “SAFE” because the chap in question just got a particularly good kill. Sometimes it says “SWEET”, others “WORD” and other still “SOUND”.

They’ve injected some urban vernacular into the future and I for one am heartened by this.

• PleasingFungus says:

SAM-site’s answer is so much better than the truth, but if you look again, you’ll see there are two words on the back of the gun – SAFE and FIRE. There’s also a digital dial pointing at FIRE. It’s a digital safety.

This is just a little bit silly.

13. roryok says:

Also, I’m feeling suicidally honest today so I thought I’d mention I’ve never played any of the tribes games. at all. how much am I missing out on?

The videos of that last jetpack game a few months back didn’t do it for me at all

EDIT: It was Firefall, I just did a search for it. Tribes = better, yes?

• Pinky G says:

link to tribesnext.com
      Get yourself over there and download it for free.
      Also watch this perhaps. Skip to 3.20.

• roryok says:

that looks awfully dated.

• Pinky G says:

Yes it does look dated.
      Shazbot!
      Honestly all I can say is give it a try if you want to. Its really fun. And its free so nothing to lose. The single player is rubbish, skip it.
      Load up the map Ocular like it says it the video and have a go at skiing on your own. Its hard to go back to anything slower. Im replaying deus ex at the moment and I upgraded leg speed fully before anything else!

• MD says:

Man, thanks for posting that Pinky. Tribes (2) is one of those games I really regret missing out on during its heyday. I’ve downloaded TribesNext before, but lost motivation due to living on the arse-end of the world and having nobody to play with at a non-ridiculous ping. I’ve just been inspired to give it another go, though.

• roryok says:

Thanks, I’ll give it a go.
      I know this thread is probably dead now, but I thought this was kind of relevant so I thought I’d stick it on

• Pinky G says:

Cool!

14. rebb says:

Oh yes, oh yes.

Please let this be good and not “streamlined” to death like other attempts.
    It already looks amazing.

15. Hunam says:

I just remember playing Tribes 2 in a clan match, where me and a friend were on base defence and got into an in depth discussion about the term base-rape and the connotations that had and if a more suitable and appropriate term could be used instead. Points raised were about the shock value and discussing the imagery gained from such a word and comparing it to the activity in the game. We then noticed someone had blew up our generators :(

16. Zarunil says:

On a totally related note: Where is my Planetside: Next?

17. DragonSix says:

This spinfuzor is fucking huge.

18. utharda says:

Squeeeeeeee!

-The wife.

19. DeanLearner says:

We need more SHAZBOT!
    We need more SHAZBOT!
    The flag is not in the SHAZBOT!
    The SHAZBOT SHAZBOT ARRRRGH SHAZBOT

20. Arachnyd says:

I. AM. EXCITED.

This looks exactly like Tribes should be, down to the design of the exterior bases and the huge openness of the map.

21. Greg Wild says:

Shazbot!

22. green_genes says:

I am concerned about this being multiplatform. Not because I think they will dumb it down but if this is going to stay true to tribes that means we should be able to fly to the towers in the background or up to that floating citadel. I question that the xbox could handle that. please prove me wrong.

• BathroomCitizen says:

Yesterday I had a dream. That they dumped the multiplatform support.

It was just a dream :(

• er910 says:

I think an Xbox can handle it. It’s running Unreal Engine 3 and Warzone in UT3 seemed to run ok.

23. ChampionHyena says:

“Hi-Rez would hardly be my first choice to develop a new Tribes game, but fingers crossed they’ll blow this out of the water and prove me for a fool.”

This. Precisely this. I’m not convinced by Hi-Rez’s extant catalogue, nor am I enthusiastic about their new visual style for Tribes. I can only hope that they somehow pull out all the stops and make it something special.

24. BathroomCitizen says:

What’s wrong with its visuals, mate? I really like ’em!
    Maybe I’d just throw out that ammo counter on the spinfusor and make the weapon smaller, but the rest seems mighty fine!

25. TotalBiscuit says:

Yeah I don’t like the new art style. Tribes has never looked that good and I feel that ruins the feel of it.

26. ResonanceCascade says:

Looks like a Halo Reach ripoff!!!!!!
    /irony

Looks mighty purdy. Somehow this had fallen below my radar, as this is the first I’ve heard of it. I was under the impression that the Tribes franchise was dead in the water. Glad to see that’s not the case.

27. Araxiel says:

Actually, I was thinking about Tribes while jetpackin’ through Global Agenda. Then again, Global Agenda is incredibly slow and lame. I hope that they archieve to create the same feeling of speed that these two images convey.

28. DOLBYdigital says:

Trying really hard to hold back my excitement for a fast paced, jet packed, spinfusor filled experience. Does anyone know what platforms this is being developed for? Just wondering, if they aim for accessible gameplay than it won’t be like Tribes but maybe they will just throw accessibility out the window for good old fashioned crazy fast FPS action…. Yeah I better keep my expectations low :)

• MD says:

Xbox and PC, as far as I know. So don’t get your hopes up :(
      I’m not sure how they could pull off a fast old-fashioned Tribes game while designing it around a gamepad.

29. kennycrown says:

I love Valve, but would rather make sure as much as possible goes to the indie developer.

30. Elos says:

I GOT YOUR NUMBER
    I GOT ALLLLLLL YOUR NUMBERS

too bad it’s gonna suck though, they’ll have to slow, and dare I say ‘dumb” it down quite a bit for the consoles. :(