Safe Sax: The Saxxy Awards Unveils Finalists

Dare to dream, little pretend men

I’ll admit to some cynicism when the first round of public voting in the Team Fortress 2 Saxxy Awards kicked off. Probably because the quality of the entrants meant it was like picking through poison sea urchins with your bare hands. But all that’s changed! Now we’re down to the final nominees, the ten videos with the most votes in each of the film making contest’s twenty categories. Click here to take part in the final round of voting, or just peer at all the talent on display. I’ve even dropped one of the better ones after the jump.

Think you could do better? Well, you CAN’T DO BETTER. Because the deadline for entries ended weeks ago.

1. Jetamo says:

Also, with their announcement of a “double drop week”, they hid… dun dun dun… a new medic weapon!

Colour me conspiracy, but I reckon Meet the Medic is REEEEEEEEAL soon.

2. jon_hill987 says:

I still think the hats ruin the once lovely art style of this game…

• JackShandy says:

Unless you spend your time in TF2 making out with the other players, the hats take up about 10% of the screen at any one time. How could that tiny amount of silliness ruin an already-silly artstyle? If it was a gritty military shooter that gave out these kind of hat’s, I’d understand.

• Pie21 says:

Sorry, but the once-lovely art style was just a placeholder for more hats.

• Avenger says:

@jack, When talking about art, one tiny spec is all it takes. Imagine Mona Lisa with a zit on her forehead…

• tenseiga says:

@jackshandy Ill have to agree with jon here. If you watch the TF2 dev commentary you would know the effort they put into the art style of the vanilla tf2. But then the hats came along, the initial ones were alright to be fair, but then they got flashier and flashier and then the community jumped on board and finally we are where we are now. The game still plays great, its an amazing game, valve does a lot of free stuff whcih is also great but a lot of people think the beautiful simplicity of the game is long gone.

ot: quite a fun bunch of videos

• Monchberter says:

Regardless of hats it still looks stunning.

So there.

• Tatourmi says:

Yes, this especially struck me on this video. God, what had become of this game?

• moondog548 says:

@Avenger I just imagined the Mona Lisa with a funny hat, and it made me want to spend $4.95 to make it happen. SO THERE.

• Nick says:

So much for instantly recognisable silhouettes.

3. Dominic White says:

Aww. I’m kinda bummed out that the Soviet Boxing Club rap didn’t make the Original Sountrack finalists. In fact, that category seems to have one less finalist than the others, too. Maybe it got vetoed at the last moment due to bad language?

• LionsPhil says:

There’s some weird, perhaps desperate, selecting going on. In the Team Costume category, only four of the videos actually seem to be team costumes.

That said, the Spy with the Tutu was hilariously executed and I hope it’s in another, more appropriate category to vote for. (Edit: It’s under “funniest”, so yeah—shame I can’t give a second-place vote to that great counter-griefing one.)

Also the selection of revenges is, well, pretty bad. Ho ho ho spies stab people then get burnt what a lark. The double-jumping scout FaN’ing the pyro who tried to airblast him off a cliff is good, though.

4. Ephaelon says:

That demoman vid is remarkably well crafted. Must vote.

5. I LIKE FOOD says:

TF2 sucks since the release of hats. That game went from one of my favourites to an annoyance in a matter of weeks.

• d3vilsadvocate says:

I totally agree. Never touched the game again after it was patched to death with useless hats and other stuff

• Stevostin says:

I’ve played it recently. I wasn’t interested in hats, and probably never will, but I had a good laugh at some of them. There’s definitely something about getting back stabbed by spy wearing a false beard and a fez. I also laughed hard when I blew up a room full of people just to see a rake flying in the middle of the usual gibbers. I guess someone was attacking with a rake. Ok.

All in all I think the humor in all of this perfectly fit the 1.0 atmosphere, which is about the absurd idea of identical blue and red teams fighting for ever abstract fights for abstract reasons. I mean, it’s all surrealistic in the first place. A boat hat really can’t destroy anything.

Apart from that : still as much ppl playing than a year ago. Which is good. Balanced weapon, despite the fact there are now a heap of them. All in all, a true multiplayer success. I feel pretty sorry for Brink : it’s good, it’s even possibly great, but why would I buy another MP FPS ? I already have TF2, and much cheaper BTW. The only thing against it is the lack of level based matchmaking.

6. Senethro says:

COSMETIC ELEMENTS OF A GAME RUINED IT FOR ME AND NOW I’LL TELL EVERY RPS THREAD THAT I DON’T PLAY THIS GAME ANYMORE IN PERPETUITY

• jon_hill987 says:

Considering one of the things I liked about this game was the clearly defined art style, yes, hundreds of hats each with their own conflicting art style and being totally unrelated to the character whose head it is sitting on has ruined the game for me.

• Tatourmi says:

And for me too, I like having a little bit of coherence in my shooters, and the once so beautiful TF2 princess became quite the monster.

• Bhazor says:

What ruined TF2 for me?
      Hats? Not really.
      Crafting? Every talk screen filling with item spammers? Character classes suddenly dramatically changing and abandoning any of the original balance? Becoming unplayable for two weeks whenever new items are added? A big friendly “buy more shit” screen everytime I loaded up the game? Yes, that did it.

7. Rinox says:

link to youtube.com

Seems like the majority of the vids featured demomen though…well, no wonder really.

8. Eightball says:

I WANT TO VOTE FOR ALL OF THEM

9. Froibo says:

The only thing more silly than hats in tf2 are people who claim hats ruined tf2

• Brutal Deluxe says:

It’s not about the hats, it’s about the lack of variety of hats!

• Pointless Puppies says:

Pretty much this. I use vanilla weapons (not because I’m making a “statement”, but because I just prefer them) on pretty much all my classes and play mostly payload. The bottom-line experience is still the same as it was when I first played it in mid 2009.

Methinks people like to make mountains out of molehills. The game is the same and the experience is the same. There aren’t even many people who craft or talk about crafting/trading, etc. The vast majority just play the game like they did before this was all added.

Doesn’t help that people who claim the game has been “ruined” haven’t touched it in years. How convenient. They probably know if they boot it up again they’ll realize it’s pretty much the same game they claim is “gone”, but no matter. Let’s keep rambling about how it’s “ruined” now because of some hats.

• Nick says:

Wow, so the experience is still the same for you from 2 years after it was released to now. You can totally accurately compare that with people who played it from launch.

10. saturnine says:

You must have never really liked it very much to begin with; the hats were just a farcical excuse to drop a game you were probably terrible at.

(Relevant in every RPS TF2 thread now and forever, amen.)

11. airtekh says:

As an avid TF2 player, I shall watch and vote on these later.

12. Tony M says:

I don’t get it. Am I just dumb or do you need to play TF2 to get this vid.

13. Daniel Klein says:

By far the best so far: Badwater D. Check out the custom animations. Ridiculous!

14. wazups2x says:

Enough about the hats!

15. F1LT3R says:

I have run out of hats. When can I buy more?

16. absolofdoom says:

HATING THINGS THAT IS POPULAR MAKESSS ME COOL!! I AM EDGY AND YOU INSTANTLY WISH YOU WERE AS AWESOME AS I AM!