Run Through The Jungle: Far Cry 3 Revealed

My Kalashnikov is a terrible umbrella!
Far Cry 3 has been confirmed for release in 2012. The game returns to the original Far Cry’s jungle island setting, but nevertheless producer Dan Hay promises “something new and unexpected” for the game. Ubisoft says: “With Far Cry 3, players step into the shoes of Jason Brody, a man alone at the edge of the world, stranded on a mysterious tropical island. In this savage paradise, where lawlessness and violence are the only sure thing, players dictate how the story unfolds, from the battles they choose to fight to the allies or enemies they make along the way. As Jason Brody, players will slash, sneak and shoot their way across the island in a world that has lost all sense of morality.”

JASON BRODY. He sounds like a man with nothing to lose. Or maybe someone I went to school with. Either way, there should be more on the Far Cry website any time now.

1. Linfosoma says:

Oh yes! I dont care what anyone say, I loved FC2. Very much looking forward to this.

• DSDan says:

“in this savage paradise, where lawlessness and violence are the only sure thing”
      That sounds like checkpoints to me. Lots and lots of lawless and violent respawning jungle checkpoints.

• Linfosoma says:

Haha ok fine, maybe the game wasn’t perfect, but the exploration and weapon handling was superb. Looking for hidden diamonds was always fun, and I loved how they were always stashed in creative ways.

EDIT: Also, suicidal zebras that run into your insta-kill vehicles:
      link to cloud.steampowered.com

• qrter says:

I really liked FC2. However, that text sounds like standard marketing department speak for Just Another Grim Shooter, which is disheartening.

• somini says:

Me too. I think the games gets a lot of negative comments, but I don’t think it’s THAT bad. Just a bit rough around the edges

• ResonanceCascade says:

Hey at least a save feature got patched in to FC2. The original game, as amazing as it is, still has checkpoints only — unless you want to use a (fairly unstable) mod.

• Iokanaan says:

there was something thrillingly realistic about getting bored in that game. I mean, I even felt the boredness I experienced playing it in-game. does that make sense? and the lakes actually smelled like decaying things. FC2 was rather good.

• djtim says:

@ResonanceCascade
      Seriously? There’s actual honest-to-god I can press F6 to quicksave then press F9 to quickload at EXACTLY the same point in the game SAVING patched into FC2?

If so, I might actually try playing the game again. Lack of quick saves in so called ‘emergent open world shooters’ is ridiculous idea.

• max pain says:

Screw the quicksave whiners, play it hardcore!

• Baboonanza says:

It depends on how the game is structured. The original Far Cry wasn’t actually an open-world game, it was a string of linearly connected semi-open areas so there weren’t any re-spawning checkpoints because you couldn’t re-visit previous areas.

Given that they are moving back to a similar setting and that the re-spawning checkpoints were the major complaint against FC2 I suspect they might go for a similar game structure to FC1 this time too, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I love the original Far Cry.

2. binster says:

First gameplay footage of Brody’s epic quest. link to youtube.com

3. Novotny says:

Are you guys planning on staying up all night, and are you having a sleepover? What have you done with Quinns?

4. Schtee says:

Jason Brody’s shoes are going to be wet. At least he has an umbrella.

5. MDS says:

EDIT: Oh man someone beat me to the umbrella joke

• Schtee says:

…though you almost had me – Rihanna has made me type “umberella”, if left unchecked. I had to delete the whole word and start again. It was touch-and-go.

6. frenz0rz says:

Hmm. Interesting stuff, but I’ll not allow myself to get too excited.

Dont get me wrong, I loved Far Cry 2. But I also hated it with a passion. All it needed was a good SDK, and a few resourceful modders could have tweaked the checkpoints, reworked the utterly suicidal driving AI, and maybe added in a few more zebras. I’ll always think of it as a game that could have been so much more.

Hell, someone could even have made a safari mod out of it. How awesome would that be? Pootling along in your little jeep, snapping prize-winning shots with your camera – until you forget to look where you’re driving, and end up with a pair of antelope horns sticking out of the bonnet.

7. Arachnyd says:

The lack of an SDK for FC2 was a damn shame, that game had endless potential.

• El Stevo says:

The lack of an SDK for FC2 was a crime.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yes. Absolutely this. Imagine that game with a Stalker-level mod scene.

• Donjonson says:

Ubisoft should be brought over to the Hague for this particular crime against humanity. Yeah, I kept waiting and waiting for something.. anything.. imagining what could be done.. well. It’s all been said before. Damn and blast it.

8. DiamondDog says:

For those of you who don’t know, this is why John Fogerty is a God.

link to youtube.com

(and the game looks alright)

9. Text_Fish says:

FC2 was great. It was partly great because it was so different to FC1, which was also great. What worries me is that FC3 will be some sort of attempt to amalgamate the two rather than coming up with a third interesting setting.

10. Navagon says:

“With Far Cry 3, players step into the shoes of Jason Brody, a man alone at the edge of the world, stranded on a mysterious tropical island.”

Alone and yet surrounded by DRM.

Far Cry 2 without all the lunatic spam would be good. Very good, even. But you only need look at these other games and Ubisoft’s general output since the beginning of 2010* to realise why my hopes aren’t exactly at fever pitch.

*Yes, RUSE was good.

11. Deme says:

I desperately hope that developers read stuff like these comments. Or at least know the common attitudes about what they’ve done and are doing.

12. Bodylotion says:

Far Cry 3 could be a nice game but I rather see a shooter like these games: Blood 2, Kingpin, Requiem, Solder Of Fortune. Would be cool if any of those games would still be made.

13. Po0py says:

Fuck that. He looks like my secondary school P.E. teacher. I’m out.

14. AndrewC says:

Boiling Point with a budget for QA. Say it enough times and it will come true.

15. Moni says:

THIS IS NOT FAR CRY 2.

Far Cry 2 was a great game where you roam around a DESERT environment and it had annoying weapon breaking and malaria mechanics and super-aggressive guards at checkpoints.

I don’t know why they used the Far Cry 2+1 name.

16. Jason Moyer says:

Open world like FC2, or corridor shooter with really big corridors like FC?

17. DevilSShadoW says:

the new pc killer?

18. henben says:

I know it’s an early demo, but the part where he snuck up on a bad man and took his knife, then threw it into the bad man’s friend, seemed like the kind of thing that normally happens in QTEs or cutscenes. Is that really a mechanic that happens as part of the normal flow of the game, or was that a scripted set piece, or was he just pretending to play a “gameplay target” render? Or what?

I’d like to know if this is actually playable in their booth.

The whole thing seemed a bit linear, but at this stage that might be because it’s a tutorial level or a special demo level. I just hope it keeps the open-world quality that FC2 had.

• henben says:

Also, a MAJOR REVELATION of the gameplay footage is that there’s an indicator which tells you where gunfire comes from. Which I think would spoil the fun of crouching behind a rock and trying to work out where the enemy sniper is, but the fact that it’s necessary points towards an open world rather than a big corridor.

19. Oak says:

I’m glad it’s unrelated to either previous game, aside from being about a man with a gun in an exotic locale. I made a post once saying that that was all the name Far Cry should tell you about a game, which Ubisoft obviously read and took heed of. Wisely done, Ubisoft.

20. westyfield says:

Spoiler alert: it’s the same island as the new Tomb Raider.

21. Zogtee says:

“…enemies they make along the way.”

Zombies. I’m calling it now.

22. Alan Alda says:

Loved FC2, but somehow without Clint Hocking I don’t expect much from this, especially since there were rumblings that ubisoft were disappointed with FC2’s sales.

23. djtim says:

edited for reply fail.

24. etherbadger says:

even better: link to tubedubber.com

25. dustygator says:

That trailer kinda blew my mind.

Graphics looks tremendous, especially the vegetation. The engine for FC2 scaled very well; hopefully this doesn’t make my graphics card explode because it looks just as good as Crysis.

They had cutaways to a guy with a controller but most of that was probably cut scenes right?. The parts with the knifing etc looked bad ass.

The gunplay looked good; having a cover system and actually being able to blind fire is nice.

26. mogofogo says:

Two hundred million guns are loaded, Satan Cries “Take Aim.”
    Better Run Through The Jungle
    Better Run Through The Jungle
    Woah, Don’t Look Back.

The title made me type this. I apologize.

27. Yosharian says:

Let’s hope they actually employ some writers this time.

28. Turin Turambar says:

Good news: it looks like a bit more like Far Cry 1 / Crysis 1 than Far Cry 2. There is a bit of hope.

29. max pain says:

Back to the paradise!

The first game was great. The game basicaly just loaded the map, poped the enemies and droped you in the middle of it.

Remember that night scene when you had couple of miles to the base, with soldiers fighting with mutants all over the island? You could take a walk, drive a jeep and roadkill yourself some mutants, or climb to the near hill and just paraglide over all those bastards.

That real sandbox game just left me hungry for more.

30. soulblur says:

Mutants are fine. Better than aliens, certainly. Will I still be able to burn things? Will there be wide open spaces? Jungle is worse than savanna, in my mind.

31. Kevin says:

I can’t believe no one’s said anything about this, but that “Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?” guy is a fantastic villain character.

• Sinomatic says:

I agree. I’m playing FC2 at the moment and I have been entirely indifferent to ever single character in the game so far. This trailer had more interesting story elements in a couple of minutes than all of FC2 has had in many hours.

• James T says:

It’s a bit distracting that he looks like something the art director’s 9-year-old son drew. Still, game looks pretty decent.