The RPS Bargain Bucket: Unrivalled Precision

Happy weekend! Hope you’re all looking forward to enjoying a nice relaxing day playing digital games on your information workstations. If you want to buy some new games, then here’s a selection of some that cost a bit less than what they usually cost, and you can download them right away. To keep your finger on the pulse of discount gaming throughout the week, head over to SavyGamer.co.uk. Here’s this week’s deals:

Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition – £9.95/€11.25/$15.95
This includes GTA4, The Lost and Damned & The Ballad of Gay Tony all in one mega game. Back when this came out only the highest end of all the computers could run it really well, but today’s high end PCs should be able to run it a treat, and maybe even jack the draw distance right up too. That Kieron bloke reviewed the original game for Eurogamer, and had this to say:

a genuinely ground-breaking blockbuster in videogame history. There were moments playing GTA IV that I thought back to my initial experiences with games, and realised exactly how far we’ve come. There’s never been anything quite like GTA IV in the world. That there makes me genuinely happy to be a gamer.

There might be more opinion hiding somewhere in the RPS archive, but the tags from 2008 are all a mess, and I can’t find it. Thanks guys. All the other Rockstar games are on sale too (UK/USA).

Resident Evil 5 – £9.99/€14.99/$14.99
Good port of the the rubbish Resi Evil, this is a tepid follow up to RE4 that is probably largely salvaged when you play it in coop, but as a single player game it’s not a patch on it’s predecessor. Sadly the PC port of RE4 was rubbish, and the real sequels to RE4 (God Hand, Vanquish and now Shadows of the Damned) haven’t had Windows Box releases. Maybe when they do the HIGH DEFINITION rerelease of RE4 on the consoles, they’ll put out a decent PC version of it too.

50% off Strategy First games
GOG have got a big long list of games from Strategy First, all for 50% off, so they’re all £1.84/€2.08/$2.99 or £3.08/€3.48/$4.99 each. The selection includes the currently being remade Jagged Alliance 1 & 2, and assorted other “classics” that I haven’t got a clue about. Damn my lack of years. I bet the collective knowledge of you lot can help sort between the must haves and the duffers from this selection.

Duke Nukem Forever – £22.49/€37.49/$37.49
Registers on Steam.
Out now. Alec liveblogged his playing of this yesterday, and made a whole load of poignant observations like “It’s funnny because they have funny voices.”, “there isn’t any more poo to play with” and “AN ALIEN HAS BEEN PUNCHED IN THE FACE.” I’m going to be putting together the most comprehensive, in depth review of DNF possible, with unrivalled precision, analysing every single pixel in huge detail. Expected publication date is sometime 2025, but it might get delayed.

Deal of the week
Plants vs Zombies – £2.55/4.50/$4.95
Did you all see the brilliant rude joke in this? It’s probably funnier and ruder than everything in DNF put together. Check the almanac listing for the Garlic plant. My only real complaint about this game is the rubbish resolution support (max resolution is 800×600), but at least Popcap have confirmed that all their future PC games will support up to 1920×1200. John’s adoring review is here, and more RPS coverage here. I wonder if they’re working on a PvZ2, or maybe a Peggle 2, or maybe they’re going to cut out the middle man and send their staff into people’s homes at 3am to poke them in the face.

For cheap games direct to your web browser throughout the week, head to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. Anarki says:

Just a word of note, GTA 4 is still a terrible port. I know this because on my (relatively high end) PC I get 25fps at 1920×1200, and 25fps at 640×480. Sorry, just love an excuse to rant about GTA and bad ports!

• Delixe says:

GTA IV is massively CPU intensive. You will get more of a performance boost overclocking your CPU than changing your graphics card. GTA IV runs perfect on my machine 43fps avg with all the trimmings at 1920×1080.

• Mike says:

Also it’s not that terrible a port. Windows 7 plays ball with it particularly well.

• mrjackspade says:

And what exactly are the specs of your ‘relatively high end’ pc?

• skinlo says:

Runs ok at 1440×900 with a Q6600 and 2900xt, not exactly up to date any more.

• Clovis says:

The performance of the port is bad, but otherwise it’s fantastic. It automatically switches between the onscreen queues for kb/mouse and controller, the high res textures are great, and, most importantly, the PC version comes with the super-fun recording and editing tools.

A big draw of GTA has always been the crazy, random stuff that happens. Being able to hit F2 and then re-watch it (and sometimes find out even crazier stuff happened behind you) is great.

• Dekken says:

I also get low fps on a relatively high-end pc.
      i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz
      6950 @ 6970 %20Power
      8 GB of memory
      And I get pretty low fps, around 20 to 30 at times.

• johnpeat says:

All this talk of it’s technical shortcomings and no-one mentions that it’s a dreary, tiresome grind of a game…

GTA games used to be fun – this is bleak and slow.

It’s worst point is that it loves making you repeat long drives to missions (why?) It also makes you repeat missions if you do things it didn’t tell you that you couldn’t do and it’s got more than it’s fair share of mission-breaking bugs where they’ll fail for no apparent reason even if you do what it said.

Hell it made it into Dara o’Briain’s little rant about shit games – alongside Metal Gear – THAT is how crap it can be at times.

I must have put 30 hours into it and I’d like them back…

• Gnoupi says:

I recommend to cut the shadows, completely. It might look a bit “bland” at first, but you will appreciate the extra framerate.

At least it worked for me on a 5870, it was really the thing which was hogging the performance. I can play it without a problem in native resolution, thanks to this. (with shadows, though, 20 fps max)

Aside from this technical point, it was quite nice to play, at least for the free roaming, and the dialogues. The missions, on the other end, are often a pain forcing you to “commute”. Many times you have to go kill the guy on the other island, and drive all the way there. And that, each time you fail. You have to drive. Again. And stop to pay the toll. Again. And fail because the guy ran away from you by 1 meter. Again.

But personally, it was the first big gunfight, in the warehouse, which made me stop the game. It’s the kind of scene which is designed for consoles, with covers, etc, and which is perplexing me as a pc gamer. Because you can’t play like you are used to, no, you have to go from cover to cover, and clear the position for your teammate to go forward, etc. In the end, I spend most of my time wondering “ok, what am I expected to do now. How would I play that with a gamepad?”

• Lewie Procter says:

I must admit, I stopped playing GTA4 (on the console toy) when I failed a mission because the guy I was chasing “got away” despite me actually knowing exactly where he was, and if the game hadn’t force me to fail I would have been able to catch up with him.

My problem with the GTA games (all of them) is that they have this hugely detailed open world, but then give you missions that are totally linear, hugely rigid and totally scripted.

• Zelius says:

I agree that it’s a bad port, but what really turned me off was the amount of DRM and account-based crap it had bundled.

I bought the game on Steam the day it was released. I then found out I needed to have both a Rockstar Social Club account, and a Games for Windows Live account to play it. That’s three accounts to play one game! Not to mention GFWL is crap on its own.

Needless to say, I asked for a refund.

• Gnoupi says:

@Lewie – yeah, exactly the major problem. To which of course you have to add the whole “you have to drive back to the place from the other side of the city, because we didn’t put any checkpoint or possibility for you to quicksave”.

And usually you do that (at least) once for every mission with a guy running away. Because you don’t know where he is going to run, if you have the time to borrow a car to chase him or not, etc. So it’s trial and error, and long driving to the place. Again, and again.

• FriendlyFire says:

It really is a bad port.

I have an i5-2500K, 2x 6950 2GB, 8GB of RAM, the game’s installed on a Vertex 3 SSD and it still has trouble giving me a stable 30+ FPS. The biggest problem is that whenever I look around the game stutters as it tries to dynamically load whatever it has to display. It’s horrid.

Oh ya, it also thinks I have less than 256MB of VRAM instead of 2GB.

• dadioflex says:

Amen to shitty GTA missions. I hate how progress is linked to solving missions, instead of exploration in sandbox games in general. The missions in GTA particularly are irksome. I bought the PS3 version of GTA IV at launch but barely scratched it because most of the locations were locked away. There was only so much entertainment to be had from shooting up bikers at a burger joint. Okay, quite a lot of entertainment as it happens but there could have been so much more.

I have the various GTAs on my Steam account but haven’t installed them yet. I also had the standalone Vice CIty which was a beautiful game but damn just let me save when I want.

Saints Row 2 handled this so much better.

Re bargains – I have almost 50 hours logged on Terraria and I’m still not done, momentarily burned out yes, but not done. THAT has been my best bargain, bought at full price.

• dadioflex says:

Oh, considering how big the GTA franchise is, there must be millions of people who hate the mission structure OR are PC gamers wusses? I know a bunch of people who have “beaten” the GTAs on various Xboxes etc., but none on PC. Not that I care, I want to play games my way, so quit locking away content because I’m crap at cornering twisty roads.

• sinister agent says:

I agree with Johnpeat. GTA4 is, even now, a staggering technical achievement, with very high-quality production values, and an incredibly boring, annoying game. It’s just not much FUN.

I haven’t played the add-ons though, and have heard that they are rather good.

GTA games (and even GTA-alikes like the far more fun Saints Row) do need to take a new approach to missions, it’s true. The big missions are typically difficult simply because they’re totally on rails and you have to do exactly what you’re told at exactly the right moment. There should be more options there. At least the vigilante missions kind of let you do it how you saw fit.

• rapchee says:

i’ve played all gta-s, but i’ve started “beating” (i mean complete the story part, not 100% it) them since san andreas, but i keep enjoying them. at the time of release, i always get to play them on l owest settings, then after computer upgrades i re-visit them. to date i’ve finished SA 3,5 times. somehow the earlier parts didn’t work for me that well. i foresee playing the 4 series, because they were quite fun, most of my problems originated from the low fps.
      btw i don’t recall anyone complaining about mario or more recently super meat boy not having checkpoints, or like minecraft -when you die you re-do things.
      and i quite enjoyed driving around, and i dont usually stop at the toll booth XD

• Robert says:

That’s funny. GTA4 was the first in the series I could bear playing past the first couple of hours.

• Clovis says:

I agree that the missions are sometimes infuriating. There is actually one set of side missions that is fantastic though; a sort of counterpoint to how linear and hand-holdy the rest of the game is. One character (Barry? The guy who works out a lot) sends you text messages to find a list of cars. Instead of marking a place on the map, you are only given the name of the area (or street name) and a picture. So, you drive to the area and then actually explore the area to find the car. You can pick up on clues as to where it is from the picture, like background buildings and stuff. I loved doing every one of those missions. In addition to not holding you hand, it gives you a great reason to actually explore the city and pay attention to what you see. You’d think with such a wonderfully detailed city that they would have had more missions like that.

I don’t remember anything comparable in the Episodes though. OTOH, the missions are somewhat better in the Episodes and the checkpoints are much, much better.

• Starky says:

I suspect this game might just not like some really high end configs with more than one graphics card.

It runs fine on my 3ghz Q6600 + 5770 and 4GB DDR800, at 1080p and medium to high settings and view distances (45 if I recall for most), getting a solid reasonably 30-40 fps with a rare dip now and again.
      All loading off a regular Samsung 103SJ 7200rpm 1TB drive.

• MultiVaC says:

I have to agree with what everyone here is saying about GTA’s fatally flawed mission design. It really is horrible, and it drove me to give up on GTA IV in spite of how much I loved the storyline and the characters. The entire concept of open world seemed to just disappear as soon as you began a mission (although not before it made you make the entire trip all over again every time you had to retry, argh!) and there were a few exciting, story developing missions surrounded by a metric fuckton of the most dreary filler missions imaginable. Mostly ones with completely arbitrary fail states that made sure you would frequently end up doing that horrible 5 minute drive just to retry a mission that was never any fun to begin with. I have no idea how GTA has always gotten a free pass for this garbage from reviewers; it’s such a critical, awful flaw in the game that stares you in the face throughout the entire time you play. Plus, it has no good reason to be there. It’s not like it’s a difficult thing to fix.

• Nick says:

In San Andreas there is a part where a character jumps into the sea, then swims to a boat.. you have to follow and have a boat chase. Or as my friend did, snipe him in the head whilst he is swimming.

in GTA IV, he would be invincible until it let you catch him at the right time.

This is one of the reasons I hate GTA IV.

2. Roaring Panda says:

What is that game in the picture? Looks intriguing!

• Lewie Procter says:

Gabriel Knight 3.

Was it the moustache that looked interesting?

• Edawan says:

You mean it’s from a real game ?
      All this time I thought it was a picture someone made by throwing together random things in an editor…

• Acorino says:

It’s from the scene that involves the infamous cat hair mustache puzzle. You know, the one that supposedly killed adventure games, or put them into a deep coma at least…

• bill says:

It that the infamous cat hair moustache??!

• Roaring Panda says:

The delicate carving of his facial hair definitely piqued my curiousity.

Carra says:

You youngsters don’t know your games!

• Alistair says:

Gabriel Knight 3 was really good, with loads of clever features. Adventures could have learned a great deal from it. If it had a failing it was the stupid end-game transition to timing-based action, which the engine didn’t handle very well and which held no interest for people who until then had been playing a very interesting detective story.

It’s interesting Jane Jensen ended up using a different engine for literally every single game. (Sprite – FMV – Polygon – 2.5D )You can’t imagine a worse situation for actually getting stuff done or making fans grumpy. Gray Matter looked like a bit of a backward step technically and was obviously not an easy production.

• Acorino says:

>>It that the infamous cat hair moustache??!

It is!

3. icupnimpn2 says:

I don’t feel so inclined to purchase anything since GamersGate gon’ give it all away soon.

4. Baka says:

Please magically make Blizzard lower prices for StarCraft II temporarily, Mister Procter?

In other news, Resident Evil 5 is a really great game if one got a close co-op buddy to play it with. But if so, one probably already did.

• Kaira- says:

Yeah, co-op RE5 with a friend is maybe the most fun I’ve had in co-op in a long time. Single player isn’t too shabby either, though Sheva’s AI isn’t all that good and the game is thoroughly silly. Take it like you would take a B-class horror movie and you are set.

• Lewie Procter says:

Not much chance of getting a discount from the digital version any time soon, but here’s the retail version for the slightly discounted price of £22.10:
      link to savygamer.co.uk

• airtekh says:

I quite enjoyed RE5 and I only played it in single player mode.

It’s probably worth mentioning that RE5 uses Games for Windows Live, just in case anyone is unaware.

• TariqOne says:

One of the select few coop games my gf and I played through to the end. A fine time to be had.

• Vandelay says:

Unfortunately , it’s not a very good price. Play’s regular price for it is 49p cheaper, so not up to the usual standard of Steam’s weekend deals.

• johnpeat says:

ASDA are having a big game clearout but stock is low now – and varies between stores.

If they had any SC2’s left, they’re £16 tho…

• hinges says:

Agreed. RE5, played in co-op, is one of my favourite games of the last few years. It’s way too much fun to be atmospheric or scary, but there’s plenty of tension and panic, and the classic Resi b-movie plot works great with the couch-coop (yes, I played it on Xbox) buddy-action. Find a friend to play this with, have a few drinks, and you’ll find this is a great investment.

• Gnoupi says:

Blizzard is not the kind of firm which is (or even has to) lower their prices to keep selling stuff.
      Expect the digital version of SC2 to remain about the same price for years.

Finally, they still sell SC1 or Diablo 2 for 15 euros, never went lower.

So like Lewie says, the only chance will be physical stores, hoping for a stock clearance.

5. Boozebeard says:

If I buy duke from that get games site I can activate it on steam right?

6. Patches the Hyena says:

That Almanac entry for Garlic… pure genius.

• westyfield says:

Somehow I completely missed that joke when I last read the Almanac. Brilliant.

• Primar says:

Yup, I totally didn’t spot it either.

7. johnpeat says:

The distinctly bloody excellent Sanctum (FPS-TD) is on-sale at Green Man Gaming atm – £6.95 over Steam’s £9.95 and you get a code which goes into Steam.

I suspect that a few people – like me – will have games lying around on GMG from their various ‘free’ offers or other deals – remember you can ‘trade in’ those games for more discount…

I got Sanctum for nada – it rocks.

I did tell Lewie this earlier in the week but he seems not to care about it – hey ho.

link to greenmangaming.com

8. Diziet Sma says:

On the subject of JA2, my god it’s excellent! Why have I never played this before? Also if you happen to be a mac owner and fancy murdering productivity there is a mac binary you can use with the game data files.
    I’m on x86_64 and had to build it myself cos the provided packages expect to link to a 32bit libSDL. If anyone is interested shout however as I’m working on a statically compiled universal binary right now, right after I’ve batted xcode 4 upside the head for dropping ppc.

• Acorino says:

JA2 is hardcore in the very best sense of the word. And, apart from some interface annoyances that are mostly a result of the low resolution, it has aged very well I think.

• Chauvigny says:

Google the 1.13 patch, it’s user made and with it you’re able to increase the resolution of the game up to 1024×768 furthermore it will add some new stuff and functions, showing cover and areas your mercenary is able to see for example, which are kind of neat.

• sinister agent says:

Be aware that the 1.13 patch makes drastic changes to the gameplay, to the point where I would advise against even trying it until you’ve completed (or had a damn good go at completing) the game.

• Nick says:

You can play 1.13 with just the bug fixes, can’t remember how off the top of my head but it is possible.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Honestly, I never noticed any problems in vanilla JA2, and I’ve played through several times. Unlike VTM: Bloodlines, the fan patch isn’t strictly necessary, and it’s worth playing the normal game a bit before modding it.

• Nick says:

lets you play at a slightly higher resolution too.

• Diziet Sma says:

I don’t really want all the game play changes of 1.13 but have been looking at the res changes. Though I’m quite happy at 800×600 on the laptop and the main desktop PC. It’s a shame save games won’t port though. The gog version of JA2 does not like Straccietella. Obviously there are subtle differences in the save format.

Seeing as I still play UFO: Enemy Unknown I’m amazed it’s taken me this long to play JA.

Whilst I’m waiting for xcode 3 to download so I can compile the needed ppc versions for my universal JA2 I’m going to look at how easy it is to port over the extra resolution support into strac.

• Diziet Sma says:

If anyone should need it I have an 800×600 compatible statically linked universal binary for JA2 now:

diziet$ file ja2-800×600
      ja2-800×600: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
      ja2-800×600 (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
      ja2-800×600 (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
      ja2-800×600 (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O executable ppc

So you should just be able to use it on any mac without needing to install/compile your own SDL.

9. cliffski says:

Also the showmethegames bundle:
    link to showmethegames.com
    runs until midnight sunday. 5 indie games for $28.50 etc.

• sassy says:

So very shameless there Cliffski.

Though seriously people, its a great pack which you should go buy immediately.

• Gnoupi says:

Also, the Indie Game pack, still on this weekend and the coming week.

He’s right, it’s worth reminding people that nice indie games are for sale, even if they were featured last week.

Also SPAZ is still available for -50% of the final price on Impulse.
      And on the space topic, Starfarer is also available for preorder (allowing you to play the alpha version), for half the final price, for those who like tactical space fights.

• Temple says:

@cliffski but only one of them is any good :)

@Gnoupi -Thank you and colour me very interested in Starfarer
      “You have direct command of your flagship, and can give orders to the officers aboard the rest of your fleet. Their personalities and skills play a role in how well they execute those orders”.
      I like the idea of top down space games, but the screen is typically too small for the combat (eg space rangers and the stupidly named one you referenced) and by the time a bad guy is there I’m dead. Never was any good at asteroids. A more strategic slower scale could result in some (almost gratuitous) battles I like.

• Gnoupi says:

@Temple – Starfarer is not full strategy, though. You are in direct control of a capital ship, the kind directly taken from a Freespace 2, for example, with the beams, the cannons, the flaks, the missiles. You can automatize some weapons, but with being careful to not overload (and typically, using the shield correctly is important. If you take too much damage on the shield, it will lead your systems to overload).
      Damage is nicely managed, precisely on the place where you are hit (and you will take more damage if hit at the same place after).

The other ships are played more as strategic game though, with giving orders on a tactical map.

The current state of the game includes only the battles, but the full game will contain a campaign across different galaxies, from what I read.

If interested, you can see more about the game in the videos from DIYGamer : link to diygamer.com

• Diziet Sma says:

Starfarer shows much promise but is in a far more alpha state than something like zomboid and has a slower version/release turnover cycle at the moment.

• Gnoupi says:

The release cycle should become shorter now, the developer quit his day job to focus fully on the game: link to fractalsoftworks.com

Best of lucks to him!

10. Shadowcat says:

JA2 aside, my picks in the GOG sale are the Pro Pinball series. For less than $10 (and indeed less than $9) you can get your hands on three of the best and most detailed PC pinball tables ever made. I’ve never seen any consensus on how to rank them, as different people prefer different tables, so I say just get ’em all and find out for yourself — it really is crazy-good value for money.

11. nidzumi says:

I’ve had no issues with GTA4 on PC. 4GB/HD5750/i3 and I get fairly solid frame rate from it, even when using the no friction cars mod.

12. poop says:

dead rising 2 is also $20 :) but it has gfwl :(

13. Giaddon says:

GOG’s strategy first sale includes disciples 2, one of the masterpieces of fantasy turn-based strategy.

• Fumarole says:

I didn’t play the expansions but I’ll concur that Disciples II is tremendous fun.

• Basilicus says:

Highly recommend Disciples II. Great atmosphere, great strategy. Tactical battles are shallow, but fit into the grand strategic portion of things in very precise and subtle ways.

• KaL_YoshiKa says:

The fact that Disciples 3 is such trash is a crime of the highest order.

14. Hardtarget says:

man this is a really weak weekend for sales! ah well, they can’t all be winners.

15. Aloshi says:

Flatout 2 is on sale for $2.50 at Beamdog, and Flatout Ultimate Carnage is also on sale for $5.

link to beamdog.com
    link to beamdog.com

I’m not totally sure what the DRM is on all of this, but it looks like you’re forced to run the Beamdog client while playing their games.

16. Basilicus says:

The new Medal of Honor for $10 on Impulse. I understand it’s middling, but I do enjoy the “brief, intense experience” school of shooter design for prices like $10 a pop.

17. AlexW says:

Dammit Lewie, now you’ve got me hankering for a PC port of Vanquish again. Don’t you know how frustrating it is to desire something that’s not going to happen? Lotteries make millions off of that, y’know, and it’s why I stubbornly refuse to get a 360 to play Halo 3.

18. Polysynchronicity says:

No mention of GTA4 is complete without a link to one of racistman3d’s finest moments

link to youtube.com

Let me include the synopsis:

“n this touching true story, man alone niko bellic is hounded by a world taht left him behind. in his quest to achieve the highest speeds known to man, a terrible thing is at stake. the integrity of his spine”

19. jvempire says:

Just so people get what the PvZ joke being referred to in the article, it’s this:
    Lane-diversion isn’t just Garlic’s profession. It’s his passion. He carries an advanced Doctorate in Redirection from the Brussels University. He’ll talk all day about lane vectors and repulse arrays. He even pushes things into alternate avenues at home. Somehow his wife puts up with it.

20. Gnoupi says:

Nimbus, -50% today: link to store.steampowered.com

Very pleasant game, I recommend it

21. rapchee says:

is there a way to get a warning of some sort when a certain game is on sale? perhaps on savvygamer?
    i’d like to buy arma but man it’s still damn expensive

• Lewie Procter says:

I will keep an eye out for ARMA (which one?)

I have plans for development of SavyGamer at some point in the future to offer more functionality though.

• timmyvos says:

You’re in luck! In a few months a free version of ARMA 2 will be released, you’ll have the multiplayer and the missions made by players. The only thing it’ll be missing is the singleplayer campaign and the ability to use mods. All in all a very good deal since it’s completely free.

• rapchee says:

arma, as in the first, and thanks
      i was happy to hear that arma 2 will go free, however my computer could not really handle it. when and if i can upgrade, it will be nice.

• utzel says:

Is 8€ good enough? Arma Gold on sprocketidea.com

• rapchee says:

@utzel: it is, thank you very much :)
      it seem to me, that this is the new bohemian store … so they finally did lower the price

22. bluebomberman says:

Telltale Games has 75% for most of its catalogue until June 30. Planning to finally get Strong Bad!

23. Vinraith says:

Any reason to get Jagged Alliance 1 if you already own 2?

24. eclipse mattaru says:

RE: Resident Evil 4 visual crapiness: There is a fantastic concoction floating around that makes the game look loads better. Keywords to find it are “texture patch 2.0” and “albert marin”. Also, some other keywords you might be interested in are “FakeHDR Bloom MOD” and “hi-res movies”.

You can probably get the entire package in one download, provided you’re willing to sail the seas around Gulf Of Questionable Behavior.

All in all, the game ends up looking very similar to the Gamecube version, which is still way below RE5, but since the gameplay in RE4 is /way/ better, it’s kind of a win-win-win anyway.

• Rii says:

Incidentally, I was just about to order the Wii edition of RE4. The visuals are the same as the GCN version, but it incorporates the extra content from the PS2 version and apparently the motion controls are very effective. Add that it’s relatively cheap (by the standards of Wii games that anyone in their right mind would want to play) and that the GCN version won’t work on Wii U and it’s a no-brainer.

I’ve no doubt that there’ll be an HD remake eventually though.

25. Urthman says:

[moved to where it belongs]

26. Sivart13 says:

I just played through Gay Tony (having bought it over a year ago) and it’s good fun. It’s definitely worth giving a shot for anyone who hasn’t yet tried to dive into GTA4 for whatever reason, or played some but didn’t finish. Some frustrating missions, yes, but the checkpoints are very liberal.

The Lost and Damned, on the other hand, is totally skippable unless you really like flying off a motorcycle and/or getting shotgunned in the face.