Look, A Splendid Katamari Minecraft Mod

Anyone else think the snow levels are ugly?
Not only do Bat Country Entertainment have the best name, they have also made the best Minecraft mod. It’s a Minecraftian version of console-toy tidying-up-everything game, Katamari. (Yes, I do tidy up by rolling everything into a big ball and throwing it into space, thankyouverymuch.) It’s totally playable, with its own HUD, score system, and so forth.

Watch a video of it in action, below. (Via the excellent GSW.)

1. Jumwa says:

I was expecting it to be a lot more amusing than it looks to be.

Is the katamari craze really as dull as this makes it appear?

• Dana says:

You pretty much love it or hate it, but its much better on the consoles though.

• Jahkaivah says:

While impressive, this mod does have one fundemental flaw being that it is all just blocks.

The appeal of Katamari is that all manner of things of differant shapes and sizes, no matter how much bigger than you they start off, eventually become part of your collective mass when you’ve managed to outgrow them.

It’s very similar to games like flOw and Osmos in that respect.

• Urthman says:

To be a proper Katamari knock off, this needs:

1. Ability to pick up pigs and sheep and other mobs and watch them kick their legs as they roll around stuck to the ball.

2. Ability to pick up entire structures – whole trees, parts of buildings, eventually entire buildings, towers, castles, etc.

3. A giant bored gay purple dude insulting your Katamari ball for being too tiny.

• passingstranger says:

As Jahkaivah said, some of the appeal is lost when everything breaks down to its cubed components. In Katamari, the decision to pick up a light pole can leave your ball wobbling and lopsided, changing how you navigate until other things are picked up to compensate.

And, most importantly, what made Katamari truly great was the music and writing.

• Splynter says:

What this is missing that Katamari had is a core ‘game’. This is really just a proof of concept/tech toy, the lack of objectives for something that is not sandbox in nature is what makes it so dull. Still, it is quite cool that they got it to work in Minecraft.

• BitLooter says:

The Wonderful End of the World is a nice little Katamari-like game on the PC if you want to try it but don’t have a Playstation [insert number here].

• Wulf says:

Having played both, I actually preferred The Wonderful End of the World to Katamari by quite a bit. But that’s because I tend to prefer the bizarre charisma of Ichiro and Dejobaan Games (WHERE IS GALAXY RAGE?! >8C) to the bizarre charisma of Keita Takahashi. It’s all a matter of personal taste, I suppose. I just found the former more appealing than the latter! So, give Wonderful End a go, if you want to experience that sort of thing.

• jonfitt says:

I can see the appeal of this mod and Katamari as a fun toy, but I have no idea how either work as a “game”. Is there anything to do but just wander in different directions until enough stuff is stuck to you.

Osmos is a game with a risk reward mechanic tied into its core movement with a lot of tactical planning. I don’t see that in Katamari.

• Dominic White says:

“I can see the appeal of this mod and Katamari as a fun toy, but I have no idea how either work as a “game”.”

General level structure for a Katamari game: You’re in a house. You need to make a ball 1.5 meters wide. Your ball is currently big enough to pick up paperclips. You have ten minutes.

And then it’s this crazy puzzle-race to find enough small things to let you climb to higher places to find more things to get big enough to pick up larger things and generally mess the place up.

• Kaira- says:

Also, in Beautiful Katamari, you start at 30cm and end up rolling the whole Milky Way to block a black holes sucking power. So, yeah.

2. Aluschaaf says:

An interesting first impression, made by the Yogscast: link to youtube.com

3. Kaira- says:

Damn this is awesome. All it needs is some Katamari On the Rocks for soundtrack.

Edit: Argh, of course I meant Katamari on the Swing.

• Tei says:

Katamary Damazy and Civ 4 has the best song in videogames.

• Buzko says:

Lonely Rolling Star is right up there with “Still Alive” and “There’s A Zombie On Your Lawn” in my personal videogame musical pantheon. The whole soundtrack is magical.

4. Moonracer says:

I think the key missing element (and perhaps this is already done) is the ability to pick up NPCs and watch them wiggle around stuck to the katamari. Also, I imagine creating on in a cave would give “bad” results. Neat!

5. Jahkaivah says:

You might also enjoy this:

link to kathack.com

6. Nic Clapper says:

Hehe nice. Imagine if this were MP (its not mp compatable right?) and you get some unsuspecting friends to join your server…have them build for a while then after a bit come rolling over the mountain with this thing hehe.

7. aldrenean says:

SNOW WAS A BAD IDEA.

8. SpinalJack says:

it would have been better if you were left with a giant ball at the end of it

• ribidons says:

At the very least, you ought to get to harvest the blocks you rolled over (either dump them straight to inventory, or put them in chests next to the katamari block). I WOULD enjoy using a katamari to bulldoze an unwanted mountain or drill a wide hole down to the bedrock.

• Koozer says:

And in the game.

OR

That’s what she said.

Both work pretty well.

9. Squishpoke says:

Looks great, but the block pickup rate does not scale up very much when your ball gets bigger.

Makes it seem rather slow and ineffective when you are rolling this massive ball and you aren’t plowing through mountains or carving out valleys. Instead you are only picking up a bit from the top layers….

10. Navagon says:

I appreciate the technical achievement and the name of their studio is indeed the best of names. But there is none of the manic drug induced psychosis that makes Katamari what it is. It’s Katamari with all but the fundamental mechanics removed.

11. Davie says:

Despite failing to install this properly, I checked the related videos on the Irish teenager installation tutorial, and was introduced to Yogscast, which has blown my mind. Ah, Minecraft, how I love thee.

12. kruddman says:

this makes me think you should be able to roll up smaller blocks of snow and make snowmen and igloos