The RPS Bargain Bucket: Strung Together

Good Morning! I hope you’re all in the mood for some cheap games, because as usual I’ve been scouring the internet, looking for discounted downloads worthy of being poured into this here Bargain Bucket. Grab a cup, and read on to see what the best download offers are this weekend, and hop along to SavyGamer.co.uk if you want more.

From Dust – £8.99/€11.24/$11.24
Apply coupon “DU5T”.
Here’s the best preorder price I’ve seen for Eric Chahi’s comeback. Alec gave us some impressions of this last month:

So it’s not the grand god-game I thought it was from the trailer, it’s not the Populous sequel we’ve waited so long for and it’s certainly not another Another World – at least, not yet. I hear tantalising talk the last level finally opens up its sandbox veins fully, which is something I shall absolutely persevere for. It is often, however, a pleasant waking dream of a game, and one that rewards the careful observer, thoughtful designer and measured experimenter far more than it does the wannabe old testament deity. It is much smaller in scope and less dramatic than perhaps I’d hoped, but from what I’ve seen it is a game whose existence I entirely welcome and from which I expect to derive far more than my so far rather superficial experiments have yielded.

I’m really looking forward to this one.

Broken Sword Triple pack – £3.39/€3.39/$3.39
Includes (and individually discounted):
Broken Sword – Shadow of the Templars: The Directors Cut – £1.69/€1.69/$1.69
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror – £1.35/€1.69/$2.03
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon – £1.35/€1.69/$2.03

It’s a bit of a mystery as to why that is the original version of Broken Sword II, rather than the recently released Remastered edition. Even Revolution are confused by it, according to this post on their Facebook page:

I am afraid that we don’t know why Steam still haven’t released the game. But it is available on Good old Games and other sites. Sorry.

It’s still a decent deal, but the Remastered Edition of the second one includes an interactive digital comic, fully animated facial expressions, enhanced graphics, high quality music, a context-sensitive hint system, and diary. What a shame.

Who’s That Flying?! – £1.35/€2.03/$2.03
This looks fun. For a throwaway price, you get a rather nice (if simple) looking scrolling shooter, with big lazers and bright colours. Total Biscuit has done his thing on it here, which should give you a good idea of what to expect. The screenshots evoke a similar style to the various games from The Behemoth, which can only be a good thing.

Frozen Synapse x2 – £7.48/€9.20/$9.98
Here’s Alec’s take on this for Eurogamer:

It had seemed doubtful, months back, that this would ever be a convincing single-player game. It seemed wholly designed for player-versus-player, and a Brink situation of strung-together bot matches seemed the most likely outcome. Frozen Synapse is an excellent and inventive multiplayer game, but it is, truly, also an excellent and inventive single-player game – one that provides its own distinct challenges and rewards even as it effectively tutors you to be a multiplayer champ.

Here you are getting two copies of the game, so if you pair up with someone, you can split the cost for further savings.

Deal of the week
Minecraft x2 – £13.09/€14.95/$21.31
That’s two Minecraft’s for the price of one, or £6.59/€7.48/$10.66 each if you split the cost. Gosh, how long has it been since Minecraft was discounted? I reckon it’s going to be a long time until you can next get a reduced price on this, so now is the time to buy. Minecraft is the biggest thing to happen to gaming in the last couple of years, and you can find a huge catelogue of RPS coverage celebrating what makes Minecraft special right here. We’ve all got out favourite Minecraft story. This one is mine. What’s yours?

Also of note:
Overlord II – £2/€2/$3
Jagged Alliance 2 [Gold Edition] – £2/€2/$3
Cryostasis – £2/€2/$2
King’s Bounty: The Legend – £2/€2/$2
Men of War – £2/€2/$2
IL-2 Stumovik: Cliffs of Dover – £13.99/€19.99/$19.99
40% of the Zork games
Gothic Bundle – £14.99/similar prices in other currencies
Baldur’s Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast – £3.07/similar prices in other currencies
Baldur’s Gate II – Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal – £3.07/similar prices in other currencies
Icewind Dale Complete – £3.07/similar prices in other currencies
Icewind Dale 2 – £3.07/similar prices in other currencies
Neverwinter Nights Diamond – £3.07/similar prices in other currencies
Kalypso Anniversary Pack – £49.99/€59.99/$59.99

Head to SavyGamer.co.uk for more cheap games, all the time.

1. StingingVelvet says:

I actually hated the “remake” of Broken Sword 1. It somehow looked worse than running the original through Scummvm and the new opening chapter was terrible. Also blinking hotspots you could not turn off.

Is the second one better?

• JonathanStrange says:

I played the remake on my DS and actually thought it was quite good. Maybe it was just the tiny screen hiding any visual imperfections but overall it was a damned solid experience and the hint system worked quite well, I’d love to see more redone classics using a similar system.

As for the second game don’t know, I do know however that if you buy the games from GOG you get the originals as well as the remade versions. Haven’t tried the remake of 2 yet but I really should since it’s available despite me having bought the game before it was included.

2. Navagon says:

Cryostasis is awesome. I recommend it to anyone with a good enough PC to run it who is looking for something a bit slower and scarier but not quite as intense as Amnesia.

Men of War is great too, but then you all knew that already.

From Dust looks good, but the Ubisoftness of it all leaves me uncertain. Even at that price.

• Diziet Sma says:

I just got cryostasis. I’m quite enjoying it so far. It’s interesting/novel. For 2 quid I don’t think you can go wrong.
      As for from dust. I’m getting tempted. That price is close enough to the 360 version to sway me. I just can’t help but feel the game will play better on the PC with a mouse. It was an inexact science on the gamepad for me.

*paying 50p for mouse control. bought. :P*

• Winta says:

Anyone remember this? link to savygamer.co.uk
      I’ve got some 4 serials left, if anyone is interested and knows that they still work for getting the game.

Edit #1: no more serials left.
      Edit #2: Seems that nVidia store doesn’t accept serials as promo codes anymore, unfortunately.

• The Sentinel says:

Just bought Cryostasis for my ‘rainy day’ collection. :)

• povu says:

My PC is pretty good but Cryostasis runs like shit. Terribly optimized. Shame because the game looks interesting.

• DrGonzo says:

I enjoyed it, it’s interested, but it’s not scary in the slightest I’m afraid. At least not for me, and I found Amnesia terrifying.

As for poor performance, make sure you haven’t got it set to run in OpenGL, it causes lots of artifacting and crap performance. Make sure it’s running in DirectX.

• Magnetude says:

Yup, Cryostasis and Men of War just got thrown on the towering rainy day pile. I miss university, and having several months a year to clear my backlog. And being able to come home drunk and play games until 5am. Sigh.

• Navagon says:

@ DrGonzo

Cryostasis isn’t scary, no. But it does bear certain similarities. Both games are slower and more atmospherically intense than other first person games. They have their own ways of telling their stories as the game progresses without anyone barking orders at you. Neither game depicts you as a super soldier. In Cryostasis you have weapons, but it’s obvious that you’re not exactly an expert at using them. So there are certain parallels there, if you ask me.

• DrGonzo says:

Yeah, I sounded more negative than I meant to there. I did really enjoy it.

3. Creeping Death says:

I remember reading a while ago that From Dust is a steamworks game. Can anyone confirm that for me?

• Diziet Sma says:

Published by Ubisoft I find it highly unlikely.

• StingingVelvet says:

@ Diziet

RUSE says hello.

• Navagon says:

RUSE had Steamworks implemented before UbiDRM came along. In fact it had Steamworks implemented at a time when Ubisoft were still releasing new games DRM-free.

• Diziet Sma says:

Ruse doesn’t have the always on requirement. From Dust does. That probably wouldn’t gel well with steams offline mode, and total conjecture here, therefore not steamworks.

• Navagon says:

Steam has UbiDRMed games on it already. From Dust is allegedly not supposed to need a constant connection. But this is Ubisoft we’re talking about, so they could just be lying.

• GenBanks says:

Was wondering the same thing, that’s too bad.

• StingingVelvet says:

@ Navagon

No, sorry, RUSE came out after the initial always-on lineup.

• iDragon says:

Ruse was developed as a steamworks game though, unlike the other ubi titles on steam.

• StingingVelvet says:

So? The point is that someone said they wouldn’t use Steamworks and I am pointing out they already have.

4. Teddy Leach says:

If anyone gets that free Minecraft voucher and doesn’t have anyone to give it too, it’ll be going to a good home if you send it to me.

5. CaughtVD says:

Another sale of note Red Orchestra 2 for about £17 @ link to greenmangaming.com
    Just use this code “SUNNY-SAVER-20PEC” to get 20% off, key is delivered instantly and registers on steam. This makes the digital delux cheaper than the normal version on steam store. (BarneyL I can confirm they let you add this voucher to titles with discount, as I bought RO2 which was already discounted before adding 20% off)
    Also Battlefield 3 for $30.99 from a key reseller here link to ultimatumgamekeys.com
    There’s a big thread on facepunch with plenty of happy customers.

• westyfield says:

I was just about to post the RO2 deal. 15% off for pre-order, and then a 20% off summer sale code.

• Koozer says:

Great deal for Red Orchestra there, thanks a bunch.

• BarneyL says:

I’m not sure that the voucher works with anything already discounted unfortunately.
      If it does though you could get From Dust for £9.92 – 20% which would beat Lewie’s price.

• westyfield says:

@ BarneyL
      You can stack the deals – I got the deluxe edition of RO2, which should be £29.95, was discounted to £25.45, then used the code to get it for £20.36.
      Edit: It takes the 20% off the 15% off price, so it’s not 35% off, it’s about 32% off (if my maths is right).

6. Bilbo says:

Who doesn’t own minecraft at this stage?

• Carra says:

Millions!

Although most don’t visit this site :)

• StingingVelvet says:

I don’t. Watched some youtube vids… not my thing at all.

• TheGameSquid says:

I still don’t have it either. I’ve still got so many games I own but haven’t played that I really don’t need to bother with another game that hasn’t even come out of Beta yet. I’ll pick it up when it’s released.

• Wunce says:

I don’t – I tried the trial that I got with HIB3 and I played it a lot at first but I felt like there wasn’t much to the game (needs that new update I keep hearing about I guess). Sure creating stuff is fun but I have no one to share it with, making the entire thing feel quite pointless.

• Mac says:

I don’t own Mincraft – i keep looking at video’s and reviews and I just don’t get where the fun is???

• JB says:

“Sure creating stuff is fun but I have no one to share it with”

You could try the mighty-fine unofficial RPS Minecraft server: link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Magnetude says:

I’ve owned Minecraft for ages and only just this week found the Fun. I felt the same as Mac et al about it at first and quickly stopped, but I fired it up the other day and thought how cool it would be if I knocked through a wall of the canyon I spawned in and put a house in the middle. But then, while digging, I hit water, so I looked up how to make an aqueduct. Then, while mining for iron, I encountered a very scary cave and vowed to make a bow and arrow and some armour, so I looked up how to do that, and it just kept snowballing like that.

It’s refreshing to play a game that doesn’t give you an arbitrary goal just to pat you on the head when you achieve it. That’s the issue with many open world games – they all feel the need to give you a goal, and so often they give you the wrong goal. Why is finding my runaway dad the best way to save the Capitol Wasteland? What if i don’t want to go bowling with Roman and make loads of money? It’s nice to set your own goals, and have the freedom to change your mind when you spot a rock formation that could totally be hollowed out to look like a spaceship.

• Xercies says:

With Minecraft its weird for me, I like creating things. I do it for my uni degree. But as I watch videos and try to do something grand myself I just don’t feel as great about it and it really is a bit to hard to do anything and takes a bit to much time and the things you build are never as good as you imagined them to be.

I’m glad other people have found it the greatest thing ever but I don’t think I truly clicked with Minecraft

• Magnetude says:

Xercies, I know what you mean. When I was trying to get into Minecraft the first time I watched some videos to see what the fuss was about, saw the insane underwater cities and Mordor replicas people had built and got really disheartened when I looked at my measly hut on stilts I’d previously been so proud of.

The trick is to go into it with just the wiki at hand, Choose Your Own Adventure.

7. Carra says:

Broken Sword 1 & 2 are great games and it’s been over ten years since I’ve played them.

Maybe I should replay these “HD” versions one of these games :)

• Balm says:

I don’t know abot broken sword 2, but remake of a first one is horrible, you’ll have a much better time with original.

8. The Sentinel says:

From Dust = £8.99

Published by Ubisoft = No Sale.

I’m going to repeat this here until enough like-minded souls achieve a critical mass of…something or other. But I’d urge everyone to ask themselves: why support a company that is so actively hostile to your hobby? I’d love to play From Dust, very much, but I won’t even consider it while it supports people who constantly delay our builds in favour of the consoles, apply unnecessary DRM and generally treat us like fourth-class citizens. Stand tall, RPSers!

• StingingVelvet says:

The delays don’t generally bother me too much and I think it’s actually good to support the games they don’t cripple with their always-on DRM, so… I disagree.

• The Sentinel says:

You’re still supporting the company, legitimising every decision they make against us. Also, how do they know why you’ve not bought that particular drm-infested game? Not buying it says nothing unless you’re also standing up and telling them why not.

• Bilbo says:

I find this kind of thing pretty insidious.

• Magnetude says:

I think it sends a clearer message to only boycott their games with the worst DRM. Then they can see that the opposite of what they think is happening, is actually happening – the ‘unstealable’ games are selling like cold shit and the less protected ones are doing well.

I’m tempted by From Dust, but I have a feeling it’s going to be on sale a lot, and my backlog is too big right now.

• Bilbo says:

If you don’t buy a game that you otherwise would just because of something the publisher’s saying or doing, what you’re doing is fucking over developers – like-minded developers, who’ve made something you’re interested in, but that you not only will not buy but that you feel the need to bully your peers into also not buying – all because of something the publisher did.

It isn’t good behaviour, it isn’t working towards a better future, it’s just being a dick

• malkav11 says:

• The Sentinel says:

So, where does this gamer responsibility stop, then? Am I to worry about the receptionist on the door of Ubisoft HQ, who loses her job because lower sales, lower profits, brought about by my/our actions, force the closure of her particular building? That’s absurdist thinking. Nothing will change if we’re all going to complain but keep buying their games. And note it’s NOT just about the DRM’d ones, or the suggestion to only buy the non-drm’d ones could conceivably work. It’s about their whole attitude towards PC gamers, primarily expressed through delays but seen in every other way they deal with us.

As for the accusation of bullying that’s well out of order, mate. There’s no such thing happening here. I’ll leave it to our fellow commenters to contrast the tone of our comments and see who’s being the dick here, Bilbo.

• DrGonzo says:

Wouldn’t it also be easy to argue it’s those developers bosses bad decision that put them out of a job, not the public for not buying their games.

• Bilbo says:

“On most games from major publishers, developers have already made the money that they’re going to make. They don’t usually get royalties or other financial incentives from sales.”

If it were that simple there wouldn’t be a problem, but who’s going to green-light a project from a studio whose last project tanked?
      “That’s absurdist thinking etc etc”

I think the whole idea of “I don’t like DRM, so I’m going to make a big fuss about it to try and put pressure on the company to change their policy by bullying others into doing as I do, because I’m really clever and have all the answers” is pretty absurd too, and by the way, you’re the one that brought us here with that, not me – I buy a game on its merits, you’re the one that brought over the pretence that we have to consider responsibility with our game purchases – why else would you be calling for a boycott if not to try and change society?

As for my tone, I use naughty words and I call a spade a spade – specifically that calling on your fellow gamers to do as you do is an annoying, absolutist, and dangerous sort of thing to do, and given that you obviously can’t really grasp what you’re dealing with – you don’t realise that by bringing up the notion that gamers can vote with their feet, you’re bringing responsibility into the purchase – you really shouldn’t handle such a potentially explosive issue.

tl,dr: You’re not buying it, good for you. Calling for a boycott is fucking annoying and I hate it when people do that. I’m sorry the naughty words and the fact that you didn’t get exclusively slavish anti-drm agreement ponies replying to your comment upsets you so much and that you have to debase us both by attacking my tone in your comment.

Seeya later.

*edit* Forgot to address your butthurt about my “accusation of bullying”. It wasn’t an accusation, it was just a statement – making a big loud noise about what an issue it is and trying to convince others to do as you do, regardless of whether or not they want the game because there are “bigger issues at stake” (read: you have a personal axe to grind and need disciples) – you don’t have to call it bullying if you don’t want to, just call it fascism instead, I couldn’t really give two shits. And I’m not your mate, mate.

• Magnetude says:

The problem with your everything-or-nothing approach, Sentinel, is that they’ll just assume it’s piracy causing them to bleed customers. On principle you might have something, but in practise it’s likely to encourage more DRM in response unless someone organises an actual campaign so they know where this dip in sales is coming from. A selective boycott gives them numbers they can’t argue with – they look at their sales figures and see that the games with always-on DRM don’t sell, and they can’t reasonably attribute that drop in sales to piracy.

• malkav11 says:

Yes, it’s absurd to show companies that not every form of bad behavior they may conceive of is acceptable. We should simply hand over our money meekly no matter what shit they pour on us, because to do otherwise is “dangerous” and we should be more concerned with the nebulous potential impact on people who aren’t responsible for the DRM than with our own rights.

• The Sentinel says:

Jesus, Bilbo, who crapped in your cornflakes this morning?? Aggressive, much?

“Calling for a boycott is fucking annoying and I hate it when people do that”

Well excuse me for having an opinion and for daring to express it in your vicinity. It WILL happen again. It may even be another boycott…

“and the fact that you didn’t get exclusively slavish anti-drm agreement ponies”

Oh, here we go. Yeah, nice stereotyping there. I’m clearly an out of control Ego-monster! For your information, I absolutely don’t need and certainly didn’t ask for mindless support; I’d actually enjoy if someone argued me out of my position. I’m quite flexible that way, not that you cared to find out.

“…you have to debase us both…”

No, you debased yourself. I just pointed it out. This “spade is a spade” crap is just a bad excuse for crummy behaviour – you can disagree perfectly well with someone without implying they’re being a dick. Look at the other commenters around you to see how it’s done, mate.

• The Sentinel says:

@Magnetude – yes, you’re absolutely correct, that is a problem. It needs to be communicated more clearly, which I was hoping would come up in this conversation. I have it in mind to write to them myself and explain my position. I figure if every gamer did this, and then they saw a corresponding drop in overall sales, that the message might get through. It’s a little naff, I know, but I was hoping that if we talked about it someone might have a better idea. Anyone?

• Vinraith says:

My stance remains that I won’t spend a penny on any game with always-online DRM and I’ll only spend $5 on anything that’s effectively a rental. I’m not going to boycott Ubi in general, because if I started boycotting every developer I felt was “actively hostile to gamers” I’d pretty much have to stop buying anything but indies (and couldn’t buy those on Steam, incidentally). Your methods may of course vary.

• Bilbo says:

Sorry, Sentinel, but if every time anyone was vaguely dissatisfied with a service they strapped on a sandwich board and strode along the high street begging everyone else to share their pain and bring the company to its knees through class action we’d all be totally fucked, and people who call for boycotts on things are dicks. That isn’t going to change no matter how much it upsets you – if you’re out on a limb you run the risk of someone not liking your behaviour, and I don’t. Doesn’t mean I’m somehow defective, it’s just a happy coincidence that I like fucking swearing at people too. Also, I’m upgrading you from “dick” to “irritating, patronising tosser” for both the “mate” shit and the “let these people who basically agree with me show you how to behave” thing.

@Malkav yes, because one can either call for a boycott or uncomplainingly suck down what they’re given and there is no middle ground DON’T BE AN IDIOT

• malkav11 says:

@bilbo:

So far the ideas I’m getting from your posts are a) we shouldn’t take action based on publisher policies or actions because the developer might get caught in the crossfire and b) we should never take a stance on something because it’s “dickish”. Pardon me if I don’t find these particularly compelling. What exactly do -you- suggest people do if they are upset by Ubisoft’s policies, if not boycott their affected products and encourage other like-minded individuals to do the same? Give Ubi a bunch of money that the developers will never see?

• The Sentinel says:

Awesome! I got an upgrade! Level up! And here I thought you couldn’t give two shits?

Hey, why not have a rant at Malkav, too, while you’re here? Use capital letters if it makes you feel any better, more of a man, more SHOUTY and (above all) RIGHT! Tell him he’s defective – an idiot – because you’re so obviously neither of those things.

You are deeply unpleasant, rude, unreasonable, and something of a hypocrite. You threw the word ‘fascism’ at me earlier – tell me, out of the two of us who is demonstrating the least flexibility in his position, and the most aggression at an opposing position? Are you genuinely not seeing your own contradictions?

• Bilbo says:

@Sentinel I don’t give a shit what label you put on your rabble-rousing behaviour, but I do give a shit about arguing my point. Hope that clears that up for you. Not exactly a contradiction unless you change the meaning of what I said – we’ll file “twisting my words” alongside “complaining about me violating your virgin ears” and “moaning like a wounded animal about the vague allegation that rabble-rousing equates to bullying but similarly responding with accusations of being rude, unreasonable, unpleasant, and a hypocrite, whilst obviously being hypocritical yourself by virtue of complaining about a frankly toothless attack on your character whilst simultaneously throwing out a bunch of your own. Also, Malkav doesn’t need any help.

What a fun trip along horseshit avenue this has been, kindly go fuck yourself now, cheers.

@Malkav Write them a fucking letter. Call them. Email them. Give them some constructive, written feedback. We do live in a civilized society, funnily enough, and in the current climate I’ve had just about enough of people rabble-rousing every time they’re aggrieved with something. I think it *does* constitute a personality defect if your go-to response for grievances is to cajole other people into taking your side by banging on about the issue at every paper-thin opportunity and then organise class action against your target. Sentinel’s done absolutely nothing to disavow me of that notion, and the best anyone else has managed is “If you don’t boycott them you’re doing nothing and sucking up to them and you’re taking their shit, etc”, which is asinine.

But don’t listen to me, go on with your steam groups and your class action and your mawkish faux-underdog bollocks all you want, I’ll be off here in the corner judging art based on its’ content without silly marxist pretensions about making those bad publishers pay by not buying the games I want because of the bad DRM and the day-one DLC and the consoles and the boohoohoo

• Tetragrammaton says:

More or less this:

A selective boycott.

this:

and this:

Call them. Email them. Give them some constructive, written feedback.

(Without all the foaming at the mouth and garment-rending)

• The Sentinel says:

“I think it *does* constitute a personality defect if your go-to response for grievance”

Ha ha. You’re funny. A ‘go-to’ response? As in, one I do all the time? Let me correct you, once again. This is the first time I’ve got involved in something like this, the very first. I know you won’t believe me, but it’s the truth. I want to get involved…do something….because I feel strongly enough about this, unusually for me, to want to do something, anything about it. To my mind Ubisoft have done nothing but push and push and push the limits of what we, as consumers, are supposed to accept…and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Particularly not while we still have apologists like you out there accusing anyone who raises a voice against them of Fascism and/or Marxist tendencies. Ubi aren’t the only ones, btw, but they’re the worst example to date, and a good starting point.

I get that it offends you but if you’d dropped the hostility at any point – and even tried listening to anything I was proposing (as Tetragrammaton noted I also wanted to write to Ubisoft) we could have had a decent conversation about it. I’d have liked that. A shame. Anyway, enjoy your Sunday.

• Buzko says:

@Sentinel, @Malkav et al: I don’t usually block people, but when I do, they’re called Bilbo. Or something. He’ll probably consider that an ad-hominem attack, but that’s his business.

Sentinel, I think this is a useful conversation. From Dust is the sort of creative game that I’d dearly like to support, but Steam’s page for it lists “3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft Online Service”, so no sale. If somebody here has better information, I’d love to hear it.

I don’t know the best people to write to; perhaps the RPS staff can give some guidance. In any case, the Ubisoft PR people for each region have their contact details here: link to ubisoftgroup.com.

• The Sentinel says:

Thanks for the link, Buzko. I Appreciate it. As I say, I’m not sure if this will have any impact whatsoever, my thinking behind trying to see if there’s any will for a concerted group activity, but I do want to write to them and express how I feel. I’m a bit fed up of all the moaning not leading to anything positive and just wanted to explore the options. I’d love Ubisoft to see that there’s a market for their games without all the grief they feel they have to give us but if even RPS can’t get them to comment… :(

As to our hairy footed friend, well, I wasn’t expecting that. I don’t like blocking anyone either; there have certainly been far worse than him that deserved it but I like to hear opinions even if I don’t agree with them – you can’t challenge what you don’t see. Not so happy about disrespect, mind, but now that I’ve got his measure I think from now on we’ll probably just stay out of each other’s way, less hassle all round. I’m sure he’d agree with that.

• Bilbo says:

No, you didn’t, you noted that if people wrote to ubisoft AND boycotted the game it would have an impact. I posited that you could simply write to them. It’s that simple, stop twisting the words.

And you had better block me because I’m not going to just ignore your comments when I disagree with them, I’m going to call you on it, “MATE :D <3"

9. Zelnick says:

Incognito dropped its price and copy protection just recently. It’s the oddest mash-up of first person shooter, space combat and trading, and real-time strategy that I’ve seen.

• The Sentinel says:

Oh yeah, I remember this…RPS did a promo piece on the first chapter a while back, didn’t they?

They’ve recently dropped the price to $4.99 per episode – although Gamersgate seems not to have got that message yet (Still $9.99).

Is it any good, Zelnick? Did you enjoy it? I’m tempted, despite the lo-fi graphics.

• Zelnick says:

I’m just about to get it myself actually. The reviews I’ve found for it say that it is pretty good overall but the resource gathering can get tedious and the shooting aspect can be very hard.

10. lazybum says:

Hi, first time on here but been reading rps for years. I’ve got a gift able copy of frozen synapse which I would trade for a copy of minecraft. If your interested my steam username is Lazybum send me a message and we’ll work it out.

11. Diziet Sma says:

Not sure if this this is the place to ask. I’m getting a pig awful frame rate in cryostasis. It’s a problem now I have things to hit and my 20fps drops to <20fps. My current spec and settings:
    Q6600 + HD4870 + 4GB Ram + Win 7 64bit
    Motion Blur Off
    Camera Blur Off
    Water Reflections On
    Water Caustic On
    AF Off
    AA Off
    I'm really picky about VSync so what's the problem here? I've fiddled with the above, but just can't seem to get more than 20fps on a screen where I'm standing still and there's little in the way of geometric detail in the scene, e.g. small room, 1 obv light source, some planks of wood and a bulkhead.

** Oh wow, just tried shader model 4, that’s trippy and I’m sure my card is 4.1**

• choconutjoe says:

You’ve got physx enabled with an ati card. Try turning that off and you should see a huge improvement.

EDIT: Hardware physics should be off :)

• Diziet Sma says:

It defaulted to that. I switched it off, got prompted to restart the whole game which I did, and saw no improvement in frame rate. I had assumed that it just meant it would run the physics on the graphics card rather than the cpu rather do something silly if you don’t have a physx card, seeing as they’ve pretty much been replaced with drivers.

FPS according to fraps was 19-21 before the change and is the same afterwards. The loading screens and menu at least run at 60fps which is the refresh rate of my monitor.

• Diziet Sma says:

Quick experiment…
      Everything: Off
      Everything Else: Low
      VSync: On
      Res: 1920×1200
      Shader Model: 3
      FPS: 19-21.
      There is something fubar here… maybe. I think I need to google around and check to see if it hates my radeon drivers.
      *OK this might serve as a warning to others. You’re not going to get a high/playable FPS on this game without hardware physx afaict. Ah well… it’s still looks worth playing through with it low. At least I know I can turn the settings back up without thinking i’m killing the fps.*
      Looking into cfg tweaks, seems there’s some more flexible physics settings in there.

Only solution is to lower the res. 1280×800 runs at 45fps.

• Jake says:

I remember I had some similar problems, I used this patch: link to forum.1cpublishing.eu

If I remember correctly it doesn’t just have higher detail options, it also has optimising. Maybe it will work for you.

12. Diziet Sma says:

**Redacted, should’ve been a reply**

13. coffeetable says:

Baldur’s Gate II – Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal – £3.07

Good lord. That’s what, 2p/hour? for some of the best product the games industry has ever turned out.

• cubed2d says:

i played loads of Baldur’s Gate back in the day, but never finished it. as for Baldur’s Gate II, i never got out of the opening dungeon. Justs didnt get on with it at all well. What am i doing wrong?

• Funso Banjo says:

It is ridiculous.

There hasn’t been a better RPG than Baldur’s Gate II in all the years since its release. £3 for it AND the expansion bundled together is amazing. Every other RPG lets me down because it isn’t as good as this or Torment.

I wish I could forget the game so I could play it again.

• alchatron says:

@cubed2d: the first level in BG2 is a notoriously misleading start; persevere and the game gets rapidly better. That said, having replayed BG1 many times, BG2 still doesn’t cut it for me (though most people claim the opposite). Why Japan is considered in BG2 to be a fantastical location I still don’t know!

• Arathain says:

“Why Japan is considered in BG2 to be a fantastical location I still don’t know!”

Your post is sensible and informative, except for this mysterious last sentence. What does it mean?

• cubed2d says:

@Arathain glad im not the only confused one here :)

• Wizardry says:

@coffeetable: Great value for money. Same with the Icewind Dales too.

@Funso Banjo: Nowhere near the best CRPGs ever, though, but you are right in that hardly anything since has surpassed it. A couple of CRPGs since have had better combat systems (Temple of Elemental Evil and Knights of the Chalice) and some have had better everything else (Arcanum), but if you take the game as a whole then there’s only a select few games since that are plain better. Wizardry 8 springs to mind. However, looking at the genre before Baldur’s Gate, the picture is completely different.

@Arathain: That confused me too.

• ChainsawCharlie says:

That is great deal but would GOG version would be better, right?

• alchatron says:

@Arathain: I was trying to explain one of the many turn-offs I find in BG2: the crowbarring-in of feudal Japan alongside fantasy races such as elves and dwarves. I’d elaborate on the many niggles I have with BG2 – addition of trolls, that sort of thing – but that wouldn’t be particularly helpful; rather, I think the crowbarring-in of Japan as something other than the bracket of “human” sums up what was added between BGs 1 and 2: much like J. N. Geist’s summing-up of Dragon Age II as, “In Dragon Age II, it is revealed that most Qunari have horns.” :p

(Before anyone corrects me, I realise that said crowbarring is merely a feature of D&D as a whole – but one of the thing I admired in Baldur’s Gate was leaving out some of the worse parts of D&D)

• Wizardry says:

@alchatron: That’s nothing to do with D&D. It’s because Baldur’s Gate is set in the Forgotten Realms. Hardly BioWare’s fault.

• alchatron says:

@Wizardry: yep, Forgotten Realms, my bad. But I would still pin the blame on BioWare: they seemed content to not put it in BG1, but then turned around and put it in BG2 when it was perfectly possible to ignore it. (If you want proof that they weren’t following it entirely canonically anyway: they removed drow elves’ resistance to beneficial magic for the benefit of game mechanics – another one of my niggles with BG2)

• PickyBugger says:

@ ChainsawCarhlie

It’d be better getting it from GOG because you don’t have to give any money to gamestop nor do you have to use impulse. It’s only £3 more on GOG and you aren’t funding gamestop.

• Arathain says:

Makes perfect sense now. I knew there must be something good in there.

Fantasy races for white people: pointy eared white people, short white people, and not white people.

• suibhne says:

Anyone know if the Impulse version plays well with mods, like the GOG version?

Andy_Panthro says:

Since more people might be getting minecraft, I reckon it would be a shame if they had to stick with the default texture pack.

So I’m gonna pimp my Ultima Minecraft Texture Pack!

available here: link to ultimaaiera.com

It’s a standard texture pack, so no modding required. The latest version (1.94b) is compatible with the latest minecraft version (1.73).

There are a few screenshots on that link, but the pack has been expanded since then, and in my admittedly biased opinion, it looks pretty good!

I actually think I’ve spent more time on the texture pack than I have playing minecraft (outside of testing the new textures).

• Wizardry says:

That’s pretty cool and all but if I want to be reminded of Ultima I’ll play Ultima instead. I hope you understand. :)

Andy_Panthro says:

I made it to begin with just because I didn’t particularly like the default texture set. Using Ultima as a basis was only because of my love of the series.

Now it’s become a pet project of mine, to keep it updated for all future Minecraft releases. No doubt the adventure update will be quite a busy time for me.

15. DuckSauce says:

I actually got From Dust from Green Man Gaming for €10,95, I saved several cents on top of this also cheap bargain. I did have a €1,- trade in to help that though :)

• dc says:

@Ducksauce: Got it from getgamesgo for 11.24$. Without any trade-in ;) Just had to tell it I lived in Korea since it didn’t like my Las Vegas hotel address.

16. Gundato says:

Anyone grab IL-2 from GetGamesGo? Is it the non-Russian version and does it fully register on Steam?

17. RF says:

Saying Minecraft is the biggest thing to happen to gaming in years is like saying Justin Bieber is the biggest thing to happen to music in years. Both may be popular beyond reason, but that does not make them particularly important.

• johnpeat says:

Justin Bieber didn’t outsell 99% of all music on-sale, including almost all the music promoted by the combined might of worldwide retail AND online downloads, from a single self-run website…

Your comparison is therefore stupid and pointless(just like Bieber himself)

Minecraft has demonstrated 2 things

1 – games don’t have to be AAA shiny and technically amazing to be popular
      b – it IS possible to make a success without the backing of the billion-dollar games industry

It might not be repeatable (although Terraria and FortressCraft suggest it’s basic formula works) but that doesn’t make it any less notable in the history/context of this stuff.

• pipman3000 says:

It’s more like Twilight.

Now that was a good book because it outsold all those AAA titles. If something sells a lot that means it is good (unless it sold less then something I dislike then sales are meaningless and have nothing to do with quality)

• johnpeat says:

If anything, Twilight is a stupider comparison than the Biebertwat…

Minecraft has sold 3m copies from 1 website with zero paid advertising or promotion.

Neither Twilight or Bieber are ‘indie’ things – they both have promotional machines which pump them into peoples consciousness whether they like it or not.

If someone can come-up with a comparison which makes ever remote sense, let me know – meanwhile, Minecraft remains a notable phoenomenon in gaming whether you like it or not.

• Magnetude says:

Justin Bieber didn’t popularise and codify (I didn’t say invent, before anyone gets nerdrage) a previously unknown genre though, so your comparison makes little sense.

• malkav11 says:

Last I heard, Minecraft had sold something like 3 million copies? That’s really impressive for an indie game produced by as small an operation as Mojang (just Notch at the start, no?) but it’s a far cry from outselling 99% of all games ever published.

And my understanding (which is very, very limited) is that Justin Bieber became a huge phenomenon from Youtube videos, at which point -then- the marketing machine latched on to him, putting him where he is today. It’s not a perfect analogy by any means, but he didn’t start as one of those purely manufactured pop successes.

• The Sentinel says:

Are you sure there’s not a tiny bit of Hipster-ism going on here, RF? Minecraft is popular so I have to hate it? Justin Beiber is popular so I have to hate him?

I think calling Minecraft one of the biggest things to happen to gaming in years is fairly accurate – for reasons already described and more. For instance, how many other sandboxes have given you this level of creative control and freedom? How many games have introduced their monsters into popular gaming culture? How many games have financially shown up AAA game development the way Minecraft has?

• Koozer says:

Psst, Sentinel, he never said or insinuated he hated it.

• johnpeat says:

I’m willing to bet that the vast majority of games ever released have sold NOWHERE NEAR 3M copies.

VGCHartz has data on 9500+ games – of which 300-odd have sold over 3M copies wordlwide (that’s less than 3%).

That’s obviously nowhere near the complete list of games on-offer (indies aren’t featured for starters!!) but probably IS a complete list of those which have sold that sort of quantity – hence I think it’s fairly to say that MC has outsold the vast majority of other games – certainly 98/99%.

• malkav11 says:

VGChartz doesn’t immediately make it clear to me where they’re getting their data, and it’s pretty clearly incomplete – for example, they have no sales data at all for the PC version of Alpha Protocol, yet I can be very sure that it sold on PC. I have a copy myself. They also don’t have any listing that I could find for PC versions of either Knights of the Old Republic game, don’t seem to have sales data for Fable 1 (either Xbox or PC), etc.

They also don’t seem to have any way to lump multiple platform releases together for an overall sales total regardless of platform, which is kind of an important piece of data. So they have 321 games listed where one release of that game sold over 3 million. That suggests there are very likely hundreds if not thousands more than that that sold 3+ million over all platforms. I don’t mean to diminish the feat, which as I say is incredible given the indie nature of Minecraft and the very limited development team, but it’s not that unusual in the wider gaming scene.

18. thedosbox says:

re: getgames

Does one need to have their client software running to play games? Or is the downloader only necessary for actually downloading – ala impulse.

19. Thorz says:

With Baldurs Gate 2 since it says DRM free can I just download it using Impulse then uninstall Impulse or will I have to grab it from GOG? Cant wait to get stuck in after hearing so many good things.

• Mac says:

You don’t normally need Impulse running to play Impulse games – just use it as a download manager

• Vinraith says:

@Thorz

You’ll need Impulse to download and install it, and you’ll need Impulse to reinstall it if you ever want to. You’ll also need Impulse to restore the game from backup. How much all of that bothers you is up to you, but it’s not really “DRM free” when it’s tied to Impulse.

20. Jim Rossignol says:

I can’t wait for From Dust. I had a bit of a play of the 360 demo and I know I’ll be sat at my PC playing it soon.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Bit of a shame it’s not closer to Populous in freedom =/

21. seventhrib says:

If I want to mod BG1 and 2, is that any more difficult after downloading it from Impulse? Or is it just the regular terrible hassle?

• JFS says:

Should be just the regular crashes, screen tearings and strange sounds coming out of your machine (albeit Icewind Dale is really welcoming towards HD/widescreen mods, Baldur’s Gate 1 not so much, haven’t tried the others). Impulse is just a sort of downloading agent, you can play the game without starting it up, so I guess game and client are somewhat more independent than for example with Steam.

• Nick says:

if you have both you can use Tutu to play BG1 in BG2 engine, which should avoid those issues.

22. Spider Jerusalem says:

There’s a Skyrim pre-order deal at Newegg.

EMCKBJH96

link to newegg.com

23. Hardtarget says:

I don’t understand, I want to buy From Dust for 11.24 from this getgamersgo site but when I enter my details (I live in Canada) even though I select rest of the world for delivery zone I get this error:
    We are unable to provide this item for the country you have selected.
    Please remove it to continue shopping.

what the?!

• Teddy Leach says:

I got further than you (but I live in the UK). HOWEVER, for some reason it doesn’t like paypal for some purchases. Or my credit card for ANY purchases.

Will Not Use Again. /sulk

• ConcreteOtter says:

I’m glad I am not the only one. First I tried to pick up Red Orchestra at getgames for $2. Wouldn’t accept paypal, my credit card, or my debit card. Then I tried to get in on the $27 Red Orchestra 2 preorder at greenmangaming and again had all my purchasing options rebuffed. I mean I know my nation’s (US) economy is shit right now, but I am trying to give my money away to these UK pricks (sorry UKers… misplaced rage) and they will not take my dirty USD!

24. CaughtVD says:

Deus Ex Human Revolution £6 off steams pre order price on Green Man Gaming using code: SUNNY-SAVER-20PEC on link to greenmangaming.com
    Or £7 Augmented edition, making it less than normal ed on steam!

• Thermal Ions says:

Thanks for the tip. Standard Edition for $34, compared to $62.99 on Steam.

• Hardtarget says:

I was able to get in on this and RO2 for cheap from GreenManGaming
      no clue why I can’t get From Dust for cheap from GetGamesGo
      :( :(

25. The Sentinel says:

Lovely Sunday we’re having, what?