Borderlands 2: Gamescom Teaser Trailer

There’s really not much to the Borderlands 2 trailer, I’m afraid, but it’s below if you want to see it. The trailer shows the beardy man (above) shooting monsters and robots. Something crashes in the background. There’s some grass. All clues, perhaps…

1. Spider Jerusalem says:

Well that was decidedly /less/ cinematic than I’d feared.

Upgraded to inoffensive.

2. Arglebargle says:

Looks like a really big dwarf, with really big guns. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…..

3. CaspianRoach says:

I love how weapons appear out of nothing. Maybe it’s that Tediore’s self-building stuff they told us?

Oh or is that how they’re going to solve the “I don’t see a backpack on my character, where does he store the guns?” problem? Nice, nice.

• StuffedCabbage says:

It’s a 3rd person perspective of a 1st person game. My point being is that, in game it doesn’t matter where the guns are coming from because you don’t see it.

• CaspianRoach says:

It is a multiplayer game. And you can see your friends’ character models as they change weapons.

By the way, I wasn’t being sarcastic but honest. Yes I know it’s not how comments here usually roll. It’s about time someone invented a machine that transfers feelings and intonations into words…

• jacobvandy says:

Well, dual-wielding is the Gunzerker’s special ability, like going into a melee rage or spawning a turret in the first game. The off-hand weapon materializing out of nowhere may have been a stylized way to illustrate that fact in this pre-rendered trailer. Who knows how it will look in the actual game.

• PiP999 says:

Actually they explained why the guns appear out of nowhere in Borderlands. Each character had a little box on their person with a light blue stripe. All of their equipment was digitally stored on that box, so they could carry a million items on that little blue light device. That’s why you got thing like “Inventory SDU” as well as ammo SDUs.

If you look under the Gunzerker’s armpits, you’ll see 2 storage decks with blue lights on them from which he pulls the automatic weapons.

• Hidden_7 says:

I loved that they showed that. The weapons are kept in storage decks, which you can see strapped to him. Basically that thing from Star Trek where they store things in the “transporter buffer.” They got things that disassemble stuff and reassembles it as needed. You could see them on the character models in the first game, and it was where they drew the weapons from.

Don’t ask me why you couldn’t then get infinite copies of a given item, they never really dealt with that in Star Trek either.

• applecup says:

Conservation of matter, probably. And, er, balancing.

4. Deccan says:

If the game allows you to wield guns made from car wheels, I am all for it.

5. JackShandy says:

Glad to see shooting and guns are confirmed.

6. Arkhanos Doomstar says:

Well, one thing I though Borderlands desperately needed was dual wielding, so hopefully that’s what the above is saying. I know the fights would be way better if everyone had 2 rocket launchers each.

Okay, so maybe not, but dual wielding pistols, SMGs and maybe being able to unlock 2 assault rifles would be neat. I want to set people on fire AND dissolve them with acid.

• CaspianRoach says:

Imagine the awesome that is dual-wielding sniper rifles.

• donmilliken says:

What I’ve read seems to suggest that only the character pictured gets to double wield, it’s his thing. That may be wrong though, we’ll see as more info is revealed.

• Torgen says:

That’s what the Chimera pistol was for. Huge caliber, and every pull of the trigger had a different effect: explosive, acid, shock, fire. Truly a wonderful weapon, as all you had to do is aim and shoot, and in short order your target was hit by something they were susceptible to.

7. DSR says:

Just no more desert landscapes, please!

I kinda liked the idea of Borderlands but I could not force myself to play it. Even in coop it was downright horrible to roam those repetitive sand valleys.

• Optimaximal says:

I think its safe to say either different environments (or ‘seasons’) have been implemented…

• metalangel says:

I thought that, while Pandora has seasons, they last years. When humans settled, it was winter and most of the lovely wildlife (alien animals are always disgusting and savagely violent) were hibernating. It’s spring during the game.

• Davie says:

Am I the only one who actually likes desert environments?

I find forests pretty boring (except in some rare cases–Witcher 2’s forests were absolutely amazing) but there’s something about a good desert that says ADVENTURE.

• westyfield says:

I think in Borderlands 1 it was spring – the nasty monsters were just waking up, which explained why the further you got in the game, the bigger the creatures you had to fight were.

• Grobmotoriker says:

It´s snowing … and the guy is listening to good old punkrock in his sparetime (Dead Kennedys batch on belt)

8. PatrickSwayze says:

Well I won’t be playing as the dwarf since I’m Nanasophobic.

9. Tei says:

Is like if Duke Nukem and a Dwarf had a children.
    Duke + Dwarf = ???

10. skyturnedred says:

I really hope you can dual wield anything you want, like a pistol and SMG or even minigun and rocket launcher. Assuming you will have to sacrifice accuracy (=iron sights) depending on what you are using.

11. Steven Hutton says:

I loved the first borderlands with a truly frightening intensity. I am, needless to say, all aboard for this one.

12. RF says:

It’s a bit naff, isn’t it?

13. Vagrant says:

Most of all I was nerding out over all the different gun parts in the trailer.
    New clip parts on the 2nd gun! That bizzare scope on the first gun! New gun stock!

I may have played too much Borderlands.
    Also, for those who didn’t like the first game, did you make it past the Arid Badlands ? I found the game to nearly double in fun somewhere around that point. That first zone drags on, and you aren’t really empowered until maybe level 20. Before that the skills are weak and your guns mostly suck.

14. Chizu says:

Grass?
    So its not all deserts this time?
    Thank god.

15. Navagon says:

Well if it actually looks anything like that then I’ll find its pixels pleasing.