The Bargain Bucket: 24 Hour Bargain People

Sorry I’m running late this weekend, I’ve been busy partying, of all things. This edition of the bargain bucket has been scribed haunched over a borrowed laptop in a corner of a weekend long house party (Bogdan Raczynski is on in the background). I’ve got a cider waiting for me as soon as I get this posted, so I will see you on the other side. Please lend your patronage to SavyGamer.co.uk.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution – The Missing Link DLC – £6.74
If £9 was too much for your liking, waiting just a little bit has already resulted in a nice discount. Jim said this:

there’s an attempt to address the boss battle issue toward the end of this, with the player able to use a number of routes to overcome the challenge. It’s not perfect, but it is better. Secondly, it seems to react to violence much better than the main game. My slaughter of the ships denizens led to jabbering fear from NPCs in the base, which was refreshing. Lastly, I think you’ll get through this in about four hours, and it’s certainly not a vital addition to the tale of Adam Jensen. I couldn’t help enjoying it, of course, because it’s more DXHR.

More here.

Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack – £4.99/€9.99/$12.49
Same/Similar price at GamersGate.
That’s all of the GTA games, except for the ones that it doesn’t include. In these games, you can kill people and you can be a bad man, find hidden packages and watch cutscenes of people talking to each other before and after all the missions. Fun times for all, and stonking good value at this combination discount.

Captain Forever – £5.64/6.48/$9
Here’s Farbs’ delightful Captain Forever discounted to less than half price. There’s no set deadline for the end of this promtion: He’s going to keep it going for as long as it’s making more revenue than it does at full price. This is also gets you access to Captain Jameson, the RPG version of the Captain games.

Deal of the week
Ubisoft Promo at GOG
This is another sliding sale discount. If you want all five games, it’s £9.50/10.90/$15.15, and they’re all available individually at slightly less discounted prices. Included in the promotion are:
Beyond Good & Evil,
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time,
Rayman Forever,
Rayman 2: The Great Escape,
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc,
A nice bundle of classics, DRM free and I reckon these all probably still hold up well today.

Go to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. Vinraith says:

That Human Revolution price appears to be for the DLC only.

2. starseed42 says:

GreenManGaming has Hard Reset for 50% off today, $14.98 in the US

3. Eraysor says:

Should probably mention the WoW Annual Pass deal. For me at least it worked it out to be excellent value.

I would usually play the game for about 7 months a year (not always concurrently), paying monthly at £9. That’s £63. I was guaranteed to buy Diablo 3 at launch which is about £30-35. Paying for a whole year of WoW subs in 2 six-month instalments costs about £92. Subtract one from the other and you get £-1. So essentially, I’m saving money, playing WoW for an extra 5 months, and getting some nice freebies like the mount and beta access. Obviously it won’t work out like that for everyone, but it was a great deal in my case!

4. Joe Maley says:

Origin or not, they have:
    Crysis2 $16,
    Bulletstorm $8,
    Dead Space 2 $8
    Dragon Age 2 $8
    Etc..
    Most of their stuff is 60% off with coupon code “ORIGIN60” on check out.

• applecup says:

Does this work outside of the US?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Just tried the Origin site for the first time. It won’t even let me switch my language to English, much less give me US prices.

Installed the client, same thing. Looks like I won’t be buying any new EA games for the foreseeable future. Steam and Impulse may impose stupid restrictions based on where I’m living, but at least they’ll give me the right language.

• Heliocentric says:

No good in the UK

• Joe Maley says:

@TillEulenspiegel

I heard the coupon code only works on the client, not on the site.

Yeah I know, EA sucks.

• bill says:

Oooh! they have:
      Crysis 2: $86
      Bulletstorm: $84
      Dead Space 2: $65
      no Dragon Age 2, but they do have mirror’s edge for $95!

and the coupon doesn’t work here. I love origin!!

5. Retro says:

“That’s all of the GTA games, except for the ones that it doesn’t include.”

WTF? Is that supposed to be funny? It certainly is not helpful.

• Heliocentric says:

GTA London is all thats missing, unless you were expecting ports of the PSP games too.

• Fatrat says:

If only he’d added a link you could click to see which games were included! IMAGINE. Damn that joker.

We should contact the Daily Mail about this man.

• saladin says:

Humour? QUICK TO THE ANGRY TANK

6. applecup says:

Greenmangaming has Rift for free, in association with the Sun.

7. Jake says:

Alice – Madness Returns for £15? I’m tempted but I get the feeling it will get even cheaper soon. I don’t really enjoy platform games but it looks so pretty.

• johnpeat says:

It’s already cheaper at retail and will only be moreso – tho if you must have it on Steam it seems a decent price…

• Prime says:

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time with it – the subject matter becoming quite, er, adult towards the game’s end. Special props should go to the art team on this. I’ve rarely seen a game so fully expressed visually. That’s not to say it doesn’t play well either, it does, and the level designers have also been having fun. Game’s a labour of love.

Oh, and there’s a tiny little Psychonauts reference hidden in one of its later levels…what’s not to love? :)

• Jake says:

I’d usually follow anything Optimus says but as it is frustratingly priced at £15 and $15 I think I will skip it for now in impotent rage.

8. Zenicetus says:

Steam USA has Alice – Madness Returns on 50% sale for the weekend: $14.99. For that price, I may try it just for the visuals, since I’m not good at the platforming aspects of this type of game.

Also, I don’t know if this qualifies because it’s hardware -related, but Nvidia has been running a promotion for a little while now, where you get a Steam code for a free Batman Arkham City with the purchase of a new card (560 level or over, I think?). I was going to upgrade to a 560 Ti anyway, but that was a nice bonus. I just got the card, plugged the code into Steam and it works as a pre-order. And now, I’m off to bump up my Witcher 2 and Rise of Flight video settings (Woot!!!).

9. johnpeat says:

Am I right in thinking that the Captain Forever games are all browser-based Flash or are supporters given access to actual downloadables??

Al__S says:

Why do these GTA/Rockstar Complete packs never include GTA: London 1969? I’m told it’s really good, I’d quite like to play it, and I’ve still not found a way of doing so.

• UnravThreads says:

I’ve heard it’s licensing issues causing the problem, most likely due to the radio stations.

11. vecordae says:

Just a shameless plug. Sword of the Stars Complete Collection is available on steam for 75% off, or “Five US Monies.” It comes with all of the expansions and patches. If you gave up on the game early on, might be wroth it to check out what all has changed.

• Vinraith says:

It’s also available for the same price on Gamersgate, which is frequently the better place to get Paradox games (unless you’re a Steam-only kind of gamer).

• UnravThreads says:

You get money back on GamersGate, too, which – if you’re a regular customer – quickly adds up. I believe GamersGate is also 0.01p cheaper than Steam for SotS: Complete. If you’re a Steam Only gamer, you can still run it through Steam as a non-Steam game, and… You know, still have the same experience.

• Saldek says:

Steam wants 5 Euro Monies from me (in Germany) :/ Gamersgate’s happy with $5, though :)
      Thanks for the tip!

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

On principle I wish I wasn’t a steam only gamer but having to remember where I got 80 different things from all the time or having to keep track of a bazillion exes is tantamount to having all these discs that constantly need swapping. It just works and being able to simply download whatever at any time from a single easy source has sucked me too far in until the day they send the internet on a shooting rampage from the bell tower…

Anyway back on topic I’ve been thinking about SotS since I saw it was on sale and the coverage here of the new one’s been intriguing I’m just wondering if it’s going to feel too dated for me to try and get into at this point.

• UnravThreads says:

SBS; I still don’t see the problem. GamersGate, GOG, Steam. Three places to remember where I get most of my games. Sure, I have Impulse and D2D with some games of mine, but the above three are really it.

You don’t need to buy from “80 different places”, just stick to a few. GamersGate is much better than Steam, in my opinion, because their support doesn’t take a week to get back to you and their deals – whilst not always better – generally work out cheaper due to money back.

12. Paul says:

I bought 2 games today, on Green Man Gaming. Hard Reset (works perfectly, awesome game) and Dead Island.

Purchase of Dead Island led me to create this support ticket on GMG:

“Hello,
    I bought Dead Island along with Hard Reset on GMG few minutes ago. I live in Czech Republic. The purchase worked without problem. Activation of Hard Reset too.However when I try to activate Dead Island in Steam on my account (on which I have over 120 games), I receive lovely message:

“Not Available
    Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled.”

Isn’t that lovely? Why are publishers insisting on doing this? And why are you guys selling game in territories where it cannot be activated?

I am obviously pretty angry, since I was lookding forward to playing, and now I have to spend my time dealing with this idiotic BS.

Thank you for providing me solution as quickly as you can,
    Paul”

13. ChainsawCharlie says:

Is that Captain Forever bundle worth getting? No idea what kind of games those are.

• JuJuCam says:

The first episode of the series serves as a free demo and is available at link to captainforever.com

I haven’t paid for the license but as I understand each subsequent title tweaks the mechanics in various ways, while still being true to the “modular ship arena shooter” concept.

14. Rikard Peterson says:

At the risk of encouraging DRM, I did get the Ubisoft pack at GOG, even though I already have them all in boxes except the original Rayman. I’m afraid the disk versions will have problems in the future due to the DRM on them. (I did have problems with the CD check on Rayman 2 when it was new. Halfway through the game, it started accusing me of having pirated it. I did get an updated version of the game from Ubisoft that fixed the problem after an e-mail-exchange with them.) But they are all among my favourite games, so even though I’d rather get a free patch to make sure that they run in the future, I’m buying them a second time. (And at that price, I don’t think it was that foolish to do so.)

• Delusibeta says:

To be honest, out of all the Ubisoft’s games you could have gotten, a selection from GOG is the least likely to encourage DRM.

15. BeamSplashX says:

Plastic disc carn’t spin (white out).

16. johnpeat says:

This came up on Twitter earlier – a PWYW on an Indie Pirate Puzzle thingy I otherwise know nothing about

link to beta.indievania.com

Windows, Sandals and Pocket-Protectors supported…

• Thermal Ions says:

There’s not enough Pocket-Protector support love in the Bucket.

17. mwoody says:

You are not very good at haikus.

18. sinister agent says:

I know that the only people who haven’t played a GTA game before are malicious aliens sent to infiltrate and destroy our species, but if they happen to be undecided, that deal is a ridiculously good offer. I already have Saints Row 1 and 2, and played several GTAs to death at the time, but I still went for the deal when it was a tenner (grrr) and consider it great value. If you don’t get twice your money’s worth out of that deal, your cover will be blown and the people of earth will club you to death, reverse engineer your strange weapons, and wage war on your masters. So, y’know, give it a go.

• bill says:

It’s a ridiculously good deal. Except I already have GTA3 and Vice city. And I played the old GTAs back in the day and I’m not really interested in playing them again. And I don’t think my PC will handle GTA4.

So it’s mostly just San Andreas… and we will turn you all into fuel cells i’m not sure the gangsta life really appeals…

• sinister agent says:

Ah, that’s fair enough, fellow human! I can imagine it’s best to play it safe with GTA 4 performance wise, as it’s incredibly ambitious, and San Andreas may not be worth it alone if you have the others already. I couldn’t recommend it myself. It’s a fine game, but you’ve played most of it before, with better characters.

19. Hatsworth says:

Rayman 1 is one of the very best 2d platformers IMO.
    It’s a shame they’re releasing Rayman Origins basically everywhere but the PC, even though it looks to be quite different.

• Drew says:

So Forever is the one to get, you’d say?

• Hatsworth says:

As long as you don’t mind a challenging game. Soundtrack is also great.
      Rayman 2 is the better of the 3d ones. I’d say both are a good bet given the increased discount.

• Drew says:

Bought and bought. Thanks for the recommendations!