The Bargain Bucket Yes! Not So Octopus!

Get a move on. The first deal listed in this week’s bucket has less than an hour and a half left on it, so you probably want to just skim read this intro, barely pay any attention to my weekly plug of my web site about cheap games, SavyGamer.co.uk, don’t even pause to exchange pleasantries with me (have you had a nice week?). Get straight into the meat of the post, this week’s discount download round-up is here:

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy – £7.49/€9.99/$9.99
RPG/Shooter mashup, with just a smidgen of Deus Ex in there too. Here’s what Jim said of this:

The game world is a sort of amalgam of Warhammer 40k’s mythic pseudo-magical theology and more familiar Deus Ex-like cyberpunk. You are a super-assassin working for some kind of monster-slaying brotherhood who are struggling for control of various locations against other cyberpunkian factions of men in dark glasses and long coats. All this is backed up with a library of written back matter, which I couldn’t really be bothered to read. It’s nonetheless impressive that the team have put so much work into their world, even if they couldn’t quite afford to flesh it out.

More RPS coverage here.

AssCreed 2 – £3.38/€5.08/$7.49
AssCreed 2, the second of the AssCreeds. Fans of the series often tend to say that Ubisoft took a lot of the feedback on problems from the first game, and fixed them for the sequel, before refining further with AssBro. I guess that’s one way of looking at it, there’s certainly a bit more to do in the second one, and even a couple of sections where you have to think about what you’re doing, but to me it felt like more of the same, albeit with more distractions from how little you actually feel like an Assassin in these games. Pretty environments and animation though.

Dirt 3 & F1 2011 – £20.39/€27.19/$33.99
Two of codies latest games about car wot…well, I’m sure you know what it is these cars do by now. Here’s wot Jim thought of Dirt 3:

The driving model is consistently comprehensible while providing options enough to suit a range of traction tastes. Flinging various machines around the exotic lanes of Michigan and Kenya – machines that range from 1960s relics to supercharged contemporary abominations – has been a delight. I just wish my “hosts” wouldn’t waffle so much in the interim. Those lavish menus remain lovely, but I am just in it for that sense of speed, and I don’t care what you think of my podium position, Ken.

And here‘s RPS coverage of F1 2011, with a bonus post about Metro: Last Light from what looks like John typoing the tag. Bonus.

Duke Nukem 3D [Atomic Edition] – £1.87/$2.99/something similar in other currencies.
They really should try making a modern update to Duke Nukem 3D, a game that played similar to this but with shinier modern graphics would be lots of fun. DN3D definitely looks a bit long in the tooth these days, but it’s still a good shooty time.

Deal of the week
NightSky, Fate of the World + DLC, Scoregasm, Irukandji, Bullet Candy Perfect, Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please!, PC – £2.72/€3.18/$4.37 (at time of writing)
All of these come DRM free, and with codes to optionally register them on Steam and/or Desura (except for Irukandji & Bullet Candy Perfect, which aren’t on Steam). The price will fluctuate over time: it’s all explained here. Another fabulous mix of games from the Indie Royale lot, and you’ve got another three days yet to take advantage of this offer. The next bundle from them is called “The Really Big Bundle”, so it looks like they’ve got something special planned.

Also of note:
Anuman promo at GOG
Saints Row: The Third – £22.85. Registers on Steam (and I think it’s UK only).
The A.Typical RPG – 66p/€0.77/$1.02
Mens of War for cheap
Two days left on the Humble Voxatron Bundle

For more games that are cheap, go explore the regularly updated record of gaming discounts over at SavyGamer.co.uk.

Cheers Rob Fearon for this week’s new Bargain Bucket header image, you should probably go and get his Bundle of Wrong.

1. Faldrath says:

F1 2011 is a very interesting game, and I really wish RPS had covered it better, since pretty much every other site only talks about the X360 version – but it really shines on the PC, especially with mods.

Dirt3, however… while I had fun with the “campaign”, I felt no desire to go back to it after it was done. Gymkhana was rather annoying, the rallycross races a bit bland. The fun part was the rally and trailblazer events, but they’re just so short :/ WTB a proper rally game for the PC.

(both are GFWL titles too)

• JoeyJungle says:

The last Three Move Ahead podcast solely covered F1 2011, if you want to check that out. I’ve never played the games, but I quite liked listening to the discussion. Which, actually, is true for the vast majority of Three Moves Ahead podcasts.

• Snargelfargen says:

Dirt 3 is essentially 60$ if you buy it now and also get the 3 major dlc packages (10 more cars and some extra tracks). Still pretty expensive for something that really should be bundled as a GOTY, and the dlc are only available through GFWL.

• pyrex says:

Sorry to derail for a second here, but it appears that the site linked above by ‘Emmanuel’ contains a number of RPS articles copied verbatim. You may want to look into that, RPS gents.. :-/

• mike2R says:

That does appear to be the case. The Forza 4 one is from GameSpot as far as I can make out.

• pyrex says:

Mike2R is correct. Whoever he is, he didn’t even try to conceal his blatant plagiarism. Also, I can’t believe he was dumb enough to actually return to spam one of the places that he stole from, WITH the material that he stole. I mean.. wow.

I’ve been lurking here for a long time but felt the need to speak up about this particular case. Spambots are one thing but intellectual theft for the purpose of profit either by means of SEO bullshit (every single “comment” on the site is keyword-purposed) or ads (not sure about this as I use AdBlock) is simply despicable.

I’m not sure how close RPS pays attention to the comment sections – should I e-mail them directly?

• MeestaNob says:

I’ve been blocking Emmanuel purely for his constant spruking of his shitty website, but if he’s stealing articles too someone needs to do something about it.

• PodX140 says:

Someone needs to squash this langdell (I am now calling anyone too low to come up with new content for their work langdells) ASAP before he makes some cash. Stealling content from gamespot will only lose him viewers, but RPS unquestionably deserves better.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

ref: plagiarism…

Might be worth contacting them direct:

–>
      Registrant Contact from whois:

Sam Dinsa
      Fax:
      89 Hoskins Close
      Custom House
      London, Newham E16 3RU, GB
      Tel. +44.07876251241
      –>

And i’m sure Hostgator would be interested to hear about how their servers are being used. Would be such a shame to see all the tat on “Sam’s” other domains get removed though.

Hodge says:

They say that by 2050 indie games bundles will cover two thirds of the Earth.

3. johnpeat says:

If you buy IndieRoyale and register Fate of the World on Steam, even if you enter all the DLC codes, Steam will nag you that the “Tipping Point” version is just £4.99

You already have it as “Tipping Point” is just the DLC plus some changes to the original game (which were done automatically on Steam) – so don’t fall into the trap of thinking it’s an upgrade…

• JoeyJungle says:

Are you sure? I got the impression that Tipping Point was all the DLC + new UI + rebalanced + an easy mode, and the version through indie royale is just original + dlc, without those other (minor) improvements.

• johnpeat says:

Yup – it’s been discussed on the Steam Forums in-detail and my version (from Indie Royale) has ‘Easy Mode’ so the basic game was clearly updated on Steam to reflect the ‘Tipping Point’ changes…

The downloadable version from IR is DEFINATELY the TIpping Point version – according to a mate who owns both…

• JoeyJungle says:

Alright, sweet! I already had fate of the world but really wanted tipping point, so this is awesome!

• johnpeat says:

You just need to enter the DLC keys then…

I was surprised this was the case – I’d have assumed they’d give FOTW and hope for lots of people buying TP – seems they’re much more generous :)

4. johnpeat says:

As for AssCreed2 – I always got the idea that it was AssCreed but with some actual GAME in it.

AssCreed was simply a rather pretty world with lots of people in it and some achievements – repeat until you’re completely insane.

Not sure they actually changed it to include actual Assasination – as opposed to just fighting everyone in the world – but hey ho.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Gotta agree. Assassin’s Creed 1 was a fantastic tech demo and not much else. The sheer relaxation of hanging around a countryside village with the fantastic lighting and the sound of rustling leaves and soft murmurs of people in the background is unparalleled. It’s when you actually treat it as a game that it fails in the most amazing ways.

Assassin’s Creed 2 definitely made a game out of it, and for that I prefer it significantly. It’s just that they went in such a different direction that I don’t think it’s about assassins in the way we think at all. What little stealth or “covert ops” feeling was in AssCreed 1 was completely ignored in the way of far more bombastic missions in AssCreed2. I still like it a lot, but I definitely concede it’s not a game about underground assassins at all despite that the game’s story insists that it is. It’s a straight up action adventure game.

• johnpeat says:

If you want ‘Assassin’ gameplay, you play Splinter Cell: Conviction anyway :)

Being historically nerdy, the original ‘Assassins’ were basically suicidal anyway – they’d integrate themselves into someone’s bodyguard/inner circle and then just stab them to death and await whatever happened next!

(Probably apocryphal) Rumour has it part of their training (or brainwashing) included smoking lots and lots of Hash – hence they were “Hashshashim” which is where we get the word “Assassin”.

So we need a modern game where you get stoned and then have to kill someone whilst resisting the urge to just to make Grilled Cheese sarnies or eat HobNobs…

• Caleb367 says:

Well, it’s not much an assassination game – unless you think that assassins routinely hack guards to pieces by the dozen in plain sight – but it’s fun. Awesome music too and especially astounding scenery – Renaissance Florence is a thing of beauty.

• qplazm says:

The ‘smoking hash’ idea is a common misconception. Hassan-i Sabbah sometimes called his followers Asasiyun, meaning people loyal to the foundation of the faith. Hashishin only appears in the accounts of foreigners and some of their enemies. Probably misunderstanding on the foreigners’ part (helped by Marco Polo’s likely false story of the “Old man of the mountain”), and derogatory on the enemies’ part.

• MSJ says:

The original Asasiyun/Hashashim frequently kills people in broad daylight or in plain sight of the public. They don’t do much stealth kills, because they want people to see their handiwork. The first AssCreed was actually portraying them quite accurately to historical accounts (except for stuff like diving into hay from 10 floors up, obviously).

Also, the smoking hash thing is referenced by Terry Pratchett in his books.

• TheGameSquid says:

Assassin’s Creed 1 is absolutely terrible. I still to this very cannot fathom how I managed to beat the entire game. I remember that in the end I just hacked people to pieces as fast and unstealthy as I could so I could just let the game END.

AC2 on the other hand was a lot of fun. It made pretty much all the grinding optional, made the controls more responsive, made the story a little more interesting, put some less insanely boring missions in there and finally got a voice actor for it’s main character that wasn’t shamefully bad.

It does indeed refine things from the first things, but it also throws out a lot of things that made the first one so criminally boring. I can’t really pinpoint what makes it fun exactly, but it’s a much better game with a much better flow to it.

(Also it has subtitles, so you can actually understand what’s being said this time, intead of just trying to listen to inaudible muffles.)

• bill says:

Can you jump straight into AC2 without missing out on story from AC1? I tend to hate feeling like i’m missing the story…

Also, now does AC2 run on medium/low hardware? Got the impression it was badly optimised and needed quad cores or something…

But I loved Sands of Time and i can’t help but feel that this is a sandbox version of that….

• propjoe says:

Granted I haven’t played any of the other AssCreed games, but I’m not sure why people hate #1 so much. I even played it on PC, and aside from normal console port complaints, I thought it was fantastic. This actually kind of makes me afraid that I’ll hate the rest of the games.

• Avish says:

@Bill
      I believe you can play 2 without playing 1 and fill the plot gaps from the internet. However, if you have the time for it, I highly recommend playing AC1 anyway and focusing on the main path. It can take a few hours(10, give and take), but the world itself is quite lovely to experience (but far from geographically accurate) .

• johnpeat says:

On the ‘Assassin’ background thing – a lot of this stuff is made-up by westerners/Crusaders to smear the enemy of course – there’s even a story that they used to get their initiates stoned, drop them into a walled garden full of girls in their skimpies and they’d wake up – think “WoW” – then get stoned again and wake-up back in their rooms and someone would ask them “did you dream of Paradise and the eternal virgins which await you” and they’d say “Hell Yes – where do I commit suicide to get back there”… :)

If it’s not Mexicans it’s Jihadis – gotta smear em all!

5. Ice-Fyre says:

When i added my fate of the world key for steam from the indieroyale, it didnt add the tipping point dlc :-( but you get it if you download the install…

• applecup says:

The DLCs are seperate keys you need to add to Steam. Re-check the link you got in your original email.

• johnpeat says:

What he said – 3 extra keys to add

• Thermal Ions says:

The additional keys weren’t there originally, which has probably lent to the confusion of early purchasers. I see also that 2 additional games have been added since my purchase – Irukanji & Bullet Candy Perfect.

6. LTK says:

Saints Row 3 on Shopto is region free, don’t worry about it! I just pre-ordered it.

7. 20thCB says:

Does anyone know whether or not those Men of War games register on Steam?

• MommaB says:

I’m happy to report MoW does not require vaporized water for multiplayer, you are therefore completely free to enjoy it without the hassle of third party drm of any kind! Yay.

Maltose says:

If you don’t feel like getting Saints Row 3 on Shopto, it’s only $40 on the amazon.com download service. It will register on Steam.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

But it’s like 33$ on Intkeys, and dollars are expensive

• LTK says:

Whatever delight I experienced by learning that Amazon has a download service was promptly squashed by learning it just costs $50 for me. Too bad, Amazon.

Even so, buying SR3 on Amazon in dollars costs almost exactly the same as buying it on shopto in pounds.

Intkeys is cheaper than both though. Guess I’ll be checking that site more often!

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Intkeys: Anyone had experience? I don’t trust a site I’ve never heard of, but I trust the good commenters of RPS.

Maltose says:

Shopto is $36 in USD, but are they a download service? Or do they ship it? Just looking out for us Yankees.

• Lewie Procter says:

They will email you a code for steam, I think.

• Thermal Ions says:

Shopto has boxed copies and download copies – with the later being almost GBP10 dearer (go figure).

9. Kaira- says:

EYE seems to be 19.99€ still. Finland here.

• Flint says:

Yeah, the offer’s ended by now like the opening paragraph stated.

• Kaira- says:

Teaches me to post without reading. But… was it on offer at any point during the weekend? It was listed on the specials, but every time I checked it was the normal 19.99€.

[E] And it’s apparently still listed on special deals with a whopping -0% discount.

• Thermal Ions says:

It was a 24 hour special, which was incorrectly listed in Steam News a day early, and has now finished. The special for today, the Alien Breed games, was also advertised earlier in error (effectively 2 days ahead of time).

10. Spiny says:

Sigh, you bad people RPS, another game hits my pile of shame! ;)

They also have AssCreed 2 digi deluxe for a fiver so nabbed that.

• Tams80 says:

Do you know if the Digital Deluxe Edition is only available digitally? I’m assuming so.

EDIT: Wikipedia has answered my question.

11. aeonofdiscord says:

Egg sandwiches on coach trips in June?

12. emotionengine says:

But GamersGate have ALL the AssCreed games for cheap here. Brotherhood for $13.58 (or $16.98 for the deluxe version) ain’t bad, I guess. You can even get the Mac versions, if that’s what you want. Not included in that round up is the first one, which you can get for five dollars (search for it). But that’s besides the point, because GetGamesGo have it for $3.74. That way you could get yourself all three AssCreed games for something like $23, or a bit more if you go for the deluxe editions. Shame they don’t register on Steam (I assume?).

• Tams80 says:

In the UK, Assassin’s Creed is the same price at both Gamersgate and Get Games.

• Vandelay says:

Fine! You’ve made me get Brotherhood, despite not finishing the second one yet. Are you happy now?

• johnpeat says:

I gave in on AssCreed2 as it’s cheaper than a 360 copy

I’m a tad shocked at the just under 7GB download tho – that’s rather large!

• Starky says:

Eh, 7Gb is small these days…

7GB is standard xbox disk size – PC games usually get the added bonus of a set of high res textures that usually weigh in at another 2-3 GB

13. seamoss says:

I don’t understand why the Indie Royale bundle doesn’t sell more copies (both the first one and this one). I agree that the “pay more so that everyone else can get it for less” idea is pretty dubious as an incentive, but it’s still typically $3 – $5 for four (plus) great games. The Humbe Bundle seems to do much better and I wonder why: Is it the PWYW model? The charities? The multi-platform games? I’m a Linux gamer myself (in other words, I spend about as much time fiddling around with Wine as I do playing the actual games…) so I really appreciate that last aspect, but it can’t be just that.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve bought every single bundle since the first Humble Bundle, sometimes more than once (including all Humbles, both Royales, and even Rob’s Bundle of Wrong last year when he was sick…) but I just wish that other bundles did better in comparison to the Humble Bundle – the HIB is rapidly becoming the Steam of indie games…

• Gnoupi says:

The humble bundle is more famous, it opened with very big names of indie gaming, games which were already known. World of Goo, Aquaria, Braid, etc.

Indie royale starts with the idea to make some lesser known games more known to the public. They have quality games too, but they are less known, less successful to begin with.

The Humble bundle now reached a stage in which it is famous enough to promote even lesser known games, like with voxatron. Moreover that for already 3 bundles, they added “surprises”, with more content given, added a few days later. So people are tempted to buy, even expecting something to come up later.

That said, I really like the Indie Royale effort, and will most likely buy it regularly.

• Saiko Kila says:

Personally I don’t like IR’s somewhat shady marketing slogans. The part about making it cheaper for everyone else for example is clearly not true – if I understand it correctly – you make it cheaper for 0, 1 or, if you are really generous and benevolent, more people. To pay much more only to lower the price for few people – not economical, not very generous (to these buying people, it is generous to people who get monies). I’m going to buy some, but not because of their selling techniques.

I have humble bundles, and what I like about them is that I can select which charities I don’t like and which ones I do like. I don’t care about Steam registration or most other things. Of course the most important thing is to have at least one game which interests me.

• jaheira says:

@ Saiko

I don’t understand your concerns. Assuming you pay more than the minimum then the price after that will always be lower than if you hadn’t, if we keep other factors constant (and we disregard rounding errors)

• Shadowcat says:

seamoss: “the Steam of indie games”?! You’re seriously choosing one of the DRM heavyweights of the world as a comparison for the quite emphatically DRM-free HIB? (I presume the DRM wasn’t the angle you were going for, but you can’t just ignore it.)

If Steam insisted that all their games were DRM-free, that would be absolutely superb.

• fuggles says:

For me it’s the charity part. I accept that with the HiB, I’m not going to play most of the games as there is not enough time in my mortal existance. However, I can offset this with the charity portion as the money is going to something good. With the IR, then it’s just not so no sale.

• johnpeat says:

Probably shouldn’t start this argument again, but “DRM heavyweights of the world” seems harsh.

Last week’s ‘discussion’ concluded that Steam’s DRM does one thing and one thing only – it ensures that you can only play your games on one PC at a time and cannot lend them to your mates (without lending them your whole account).

In return for having that, quite a lot of games in Steam lack the DRM they have on other DD services – and I think that’s a more than fair swap tbh

I have games on Origin and it’s a MUCH bigger faff (and I’ve had to go through their support to get some games just to work or reinstall on a new PC – never been a problem with Steam).

Gamersgate ship games with DRM – admiteddly they guarantee unlimited installs (they’ll reset the DRM for you on request) but with Steam you don’t even have to ask.

You can hold-out for a GoG-like stance on “NO DRM” but you’ll be holding out a long time for most games…

14. Bfox says:

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy aka how Syndicate should be made.

15. Johnny Go-Time says:

Hahaha I love this little jab snuck in where editorial eyes have probably already started to glaze over :)

Also, I’m a huge fan of the Indie Royales now, especially since they just added that extra Fate of the World DLC into my account!!

16. Mac says:

Rage for £13.99 seems like a good deal to me … link to shop.gameplay.co.uk

17. wu wei says:

The Bargain Bucket still isn’t turning up in the twitter feed, which is annoying as it’s the only reason I subscribe to it…

18. Dominic White says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a game that played like Duke 3D, but with more modern 3D graphics?

Oh, wait, there is. And it requires Duke3D to play.

19. Commander Gun says:

A few questions about F1 2011, as i’m tempted to buy that game but have a few reservations about it:

1. Is it playable (as in, rly enjoying playable) with a gamepad, or do you rly need a steering wheel to be compettitive?
    2. In some reviews, i read the AI, in addition to driving very poorly on all but the most difficult levels, either never having to pit, sometimes pits but doesn’t change tires or simple magicly teleports on the track. Is this true and if so, are there mods for it that fixes it?
    3. Also, are crashes rly as fatal as they should be? I’m mostly interested in this game because it is a realistic driving game, but when crashes doesn’t cripple your car that is just stupid
    4. How’s the multiplayer?

20. destroy.all.monsters says:

So I bought MoW: Vietnam on GetGamesGo and it’s downloading at the stellar speed of approximately 60kbps (peak apparently – now it’s at 34k steadily). I feel like I’m back on AOL.

Is this just true for us USians or is it that ridiculous globally?

18 hours is a mighty long time for a game that isn’t like 30 gigs.

21. Driadan says:

I was about to buy Assassin’s Creed and notice the 3rd part DRM, right at the bottom:

A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://assassinscreed.com

so, that turned me off buying it

• johnpeat says:

If you buy from GamersGate, they PROMISE that they will supply keys or other means of making games install and work ‘forever’ – so unless they go bust you have comeback

See here link to gamersgate.co.uk

“Yes, some games got some kind of protection. This is done according to the agreement with the developers and publishers. However, the activation limit that may be on this protection is easily reset by an email to support@gamersgate.com. Any game bought on GamersGate is yours to download and install as many times as you like.”

If the online DRM were to fail/close you could take them up on that “as many times as you like” bit…

22. Christian says:

I’m not sure if it’s only here in Germany, but Origin seems to be giving away Burnout Paradise for free right now.
    I just started Origin and a window promoting BF3 popped up, in the lower right was a link to Burnout. If you add that to your cart and use the code PARADISE, it gives you the game for free..