The Old Republic Really Loves Queues

What?

Edit: Turns out you can’t redeem codes anyway, as that’s broken at the moment. A lot of players are a touch upset that their 30 days free with the game aren’t actually accessible until you enter payment details to pay for the next month.

Aaaand now my patience has run out. As if the extensive hours-long queues to get in to play Star Wars: The Old Republic weren’t frustrating enough (that’s if the game’s online to let you play, of course), now BioWare/EA’s infrastructure can’t cope with people trying to visit their website. I have never, in my life, ever seen a queue to visit a website before. Yet that’s the position I’m in, trying to enter a code so I can carry on playing the bloody game. A queue I can’t seem to win at.

We understand what it’s like when too much traffic comes to your site at once. Something as simple as a tweet from Notch at the same time as a big Redditing can slow us down, causing our amazing tech bods to leap into frantic action, buff our caching, and fight to keep the site online. We get it. But then, we also work hard to ensure we’re spending enough money, and have the servers in place, to cope with expected volumes of traffic. As tiny as we may be compared to a company as big as EA.

But this is just getting silly. Not least because the queue doesn’t work. Despite being told to sit back and not refresh, I’ve yet to see the page go anywhere other than here:

And this is all despite restricting sales of the digital game, as they long ago promised they would, to control the numbers of people getting access. And at 1pm in the UK, with the US audience yet to awaken.

“Thank you for your patience and enjoy your time playing Star Wars™: The Old Republic.”

I really wish I could : (

Come along BioWare/EA – this is silly.

1. satankiller says:

Thank god I pre-ordered the game and redeemed my code the second I got it. Unfortunately I am away from home for the next three weeks. Hopefully by then the queues will be reasonable or disappeared..

• yhalothar says:

The game will go free2play by then.

• MCM says:

I’m pretty sure all the free2play people are trolling at this point. When the game has over a million pre-orders and an additional million day 1 sales for a known subscription game, the idea of going f2p is pretty ridiculous.

Besides, f2p means MORE people playing. They apparently are having trouble handling this many, so I’m not sure why anyone thinks they actively want MORE people.

And based on their design philosophy so far, they’d never go f2p unless WoW had done it first and made sure it was safe.

• Groove says:

Thank God I didn’t buy it. Frankly, the solid back-end and lack of technical difficulties was one of the only impressive things in the beta.

• dontnormally says:

@MCM

lol @ you.

troll troll trolls trolls for trolling.

• elfbarf says:

Day 1 sales aren’t very important for an MMO, you need to offer enough content to keep people playing, especially for SWTOR. SWTOR has the advantage of being a Star Wars game, which is probably the main reason as to why it’s selling so well. If Bioware was to create the same exact game (as far as gameplay mechanics and amount of content) with a different setting I’m sure that it wouldn’t have sold nearly as well.

The Star Wars theme is also a huge disadvantage, something that will most likely become clear within the next few months. Once players reach max level, their character’s story is unimportant for the most part. The entire game changes, it’s now fairly evident that you’re playing an MMO. Most of the people who bought the game for Star Wars are most likely not interested in raiding due to the lack of impact from their decisions. You’re in a static world, full of other people who have made completely different decisions, yet you’re forced to work together in order to complete the rest of the content in the game (if you’re even interested). Another problem is that there isn’t much end-game content for the players who ARE interested in completing it, hence why the future isn’t looking so bright (in my opinion at least).

Unless Bioware somehow manages to keep people interested, we may be seeing SWTOR as a F2P game in the future.

• AgamemnonV2 says:

“When the game has over a million pre-orders and an additional million day 1 sales for a known subscription game, the idea of going f2p is pretty ridiculous.”

Is this the part where you say TOR is different from all the other MMOs that had the same thing happen to them and either went offline, had half their company go under, or switch to F2P life support?

Funcom called: they said they wish what you said was true.

2. Unaco says:

Can I see your Birth Certificate John? Really, all this complaining about Queueing has me doubting your Britishness.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

• mmalove says:

And it’d better be the long form. We all know you’re secretly Kenyan.

• Starky says:

Bah, it is utterly and totally British to complain about queueing, but then do it anyway.

Everyone enjoys a quiet grumble about been in a queue while standing in a queue.

Queue’ee’uu’ee’uu

• qrter says:

I’d say moaning is as intrinsically British as queueing (and I mean that affectionally).

• AgamemnonV2 says:

My flatmate is a Brit and he complains about a job that he comes in half an hour late to and leaves a half hour early each day.

3. Jumwa says:

Makes me glad I decided to give this game a miss, due to the terrible launch date and lack of friends playing.

Though a bit later of a launch in the new year to give them some time to get their crap in order would’ve been great, and probably got my partner and I to buy in.

• Yosharian says:

You could also give it a miss due to it being a not-very-good game!

• Jumwa says:

My partner and I were in beta back during summer, and found it to be surprisingly good, actually. Just when we thought we couldn’t stomach another hour of WoW-cloniness.

Though Guild Wars 2 is still foremost in our minds.

4. Hmm-Hmm. says:

So, have they been forthcoming at all about these issues? I mean, it certainly looks bad, but what I sense is frustration that could certainly be removed by reassurances.

5. Blackcompany says:

Insane. Simply insane. I am reminded of a sudden why I play single player games. Or Vindictus when I just feel like mashing buttons and pounding on enemies for a time. Might not be so popular an MMO but I never, ever have to experience things like this with Vindictus or Dragon Nest.
    Also, Steam was down the other day. The store, inventory – nothing worked. But I was still able to log in and play my games. Something Bioware might want to look into. You know, along with the concept of different time zones and splitting server maintenance up by them.

6. barelyhomosapien says:

I came here to post “Now unlike the maintenance this bloody website queue is something worthy of an article”

Only to see you posted it.

Note: I entered my product key as soon as I got it, and have my included 30 days already on my account. However they basically want you to have a paid subscription setup on your account for when those 30 days are up to count it as an active account. So I imagine nearly every last person is trying to setup a sub at the same time. Which is the problem.

7. Deano2099 says:

Is that a purchased copy or a review copy? Just curious as it seems like critical suicide on EA’s part not to offer reviewers queue-jumps… I mean it’s better for the consumer as it means we get a picture of what it’s really like but it seems crazy.

• TormDK says:

Queue jump?

They could start by offering owners of the CE queue jumps :P

But yeah, my friend is in the same situation as John. He got his retail key the 17th from the Origin Store, but didn’t bother putting it in (which I did, clever that I am) till now, and now the website is unable to cope with the massive amount of people trying to do the same thing.

John Walker says:

EA supplied me with the game, and have now sent me a 30 day access code.

• Deano2099 says:

It’d be unfair if somewhat understandable.

Kind of shows how ridiculous the whole ‘games journalists are all taking bribes and being bought-off’ claims that go around though doesn’t it? John got a review copy of the game and doesn’t even get priority access to play it. Yet the game will get a 9.5 on Gamespot or somewhere and comments threads will be full of people claiming the reviewer was paid off.

• Goomich says:

Wrong thread, sorry.

8. jplayer01 says:

However, on the plus side, it seems that there are no longer [huge] queues on the EU servers (going by what I saw last night), even at peak. Hopefully, it’ll stay that way.

Btw, I definitely prefer the website queue over what I had before. I could access my account, but the subscription site wouldn’t load at all. Now, after waiting until my turn in the queue, I could access my account and subscribe quickly without any problems. It took a bit of waiting, but … well, it’s a big MMO launch. I hope nobody was expecting any different.

• barelyhomosapien says:

Indeed I had to queue mid morning but by the evening, even at peak there was no queue on my server.

John Walker says:

I had a half hour queue yesterday afternoon.

• Plivesey says:

Yeah, the queues I experienced yesterday have gone today. Perhaps they increased the server capacity? Or maybe they’re all stuck in that queue trying to subscribe?

• mmalove says:

To the contrary. I’m morbidly sadistic when it comes to MMO launches, if it’s not a train wreck I’m disappointed.

• Goomich says:

You know what doesn’t have queue? Skyrim.

Carra says:

Started playing on Saturday and everything goes surprisingly well so far. Picked a low level population and no queues so far. In fact, no problems so far.

Of course I expect my server to go full any hour now…

9. Gnoupi says:

” I have never, in my life, ever seen a queue to visit a website before.”

I take it you haven’t played Quake Live at the beginning, so?

10. rei says:

Perception of popularity can be as important as actual popularity. If I had doubts about whether EA was trying to emulate the Wii launch before, I don’t anymore.

11. Mr_Day says:

I had already registered my code, so I should be able to play.

Right?

Nope. You need to have a subscription set up. The website happily tells me I have 27 days left to play, but I can’t access the game until I agree to buy more after the 27 days are up. So I have to enter a credit card to subscribe.

Which I can’t do for the reasons you have outlined above – the website is over capacity.

So what happens if I cancel a subscription, but still have paid time on my account? In WoW I could play until it ran out, but from my experience today it looks like SWTOR cuts you off, even if you have paid time, just because you are no longer subscribed. I guess paid time codes are the way to go, but registering them is impossible at this time.

• Belsameth says:

If you cancel before your 30 days free time are up you will not get billed.
      This isn’t exclusive to SWTOR btw. City of Heroes, among others, worked that way too.

• Mr_Day says:

When I played CoH I recall cancelling a sub and playing up until the point the sub ran out.

If I had just been billed, but cancelled, I could still play for the month I had just been billed for.

I am hoping that this is how SWTOR works, but since I have 27 days and can’t access them until I subscribe, it seems that is not the case. With any luck, this is a bug and will be fixed now they have taken the site down to fix time codes and subscriptions.

• Freeammo says:

I’m 99% certain it is exactly like WoW etc. The forums being down I can’t check for certain, but I’m pretty sure that you get to play through your 30 days of free time even after cancelling your subscription.

• Belsameth says:

Whyen registering a new account with CoH you had to set up a billing plan or enter a timecode as well.
      It is the same with SWTOR.
      If you cancel before your free time is up, however, you can still play your full free 30 days.

From a community rep post on SWTOR:

Why do I need to sign up for a subscription?

You first 30 days of Game Time are included in the purchase of any edition of Star Wars: The Old Republic, but you must add a valid payment method to activate your account. This method of payment varies by country, but includes most major credit cards plus ELV and Paypal (in some territories). Please visit our Billing and Subscription FAQ for more details. You can also activate your account using a Pre-Paid Game Time Card, available at most major retailers.

Whenever you activate your account, your 30 days of free Game Time will begin. When using a credit card, ELV or Paypal, you will not be billed for your second month of play until your 30 days of free Game Time is complete. You may cancel your subscription at any time in your first 30 days of play. Your unused Game Time will still be available on your account and you can still play until this expires.

Source: link to swtor.com

• djbriandamage says:

While it is standard practice for MMOs to require you to input your payment information before granting you your bundled 30 free days, it is NOT common for those 30 days to start ticking away before you have done so. That is a new watermark for pettiness.

• Mr_Day says:

That I need to set up a subscription plan before I can access my free time (which is down to 27 days, implying I am already using it) is something I already know, I stated as much in the first post.

My next question, which is what I believed you were originally responding to, was: What if I cancel my subscription with game time still active? Can I still access that time? You said it worked the same way as CoH, but with CoH I could play until the next bill was due even if I cancelled.

I would go the forum to check, but the TOR website has had me in a queue for 20 minutes now.

(Also, I never set up a subscription when I first get a new mmo, yet I am certain I could play CoH from the start. This was when CoH was first released, they might have changed it or I might not remember it clearly. I should check with burky or bobsy, they might remember)

EDIT: Seriously, I don’t recall once having had to enter a subscription plan for an mmo after first entering the product code, and I have played a lot of them. Have I gone insane?

Don’t answer that.

• djbriandamage says:

@mr_day As this worked in every other MMO I’ve played it is very likely that you can input your payment info, set up your subscription to claim your free 30 days, immediately cancel that subscription, and proceed to enjoy your bundled 30 days. MMOs do this to encourage you to subscribe with as little resistance as possible when your free 30 days run out thanks to your payment info already having been entered.

• Belsameth says:

Mr_Day,

My copy.paste from the SWTOR site answered your question…

Also, I know for a fact that, at the very least, CoH did it this way because I had to call a mate and borrow his CC because I hadn’t anticipated it.

Also, it’s already counting because they had a grace period for those with early access which wouldn’t get the game on time.

• Mr_Day says:

So it did.

As for CoH, I remember that as being one of the mmos I used the game time for but didn’t bother subscribing to at first as i wasn’t that keen. I don’t recall canceling the sub as I hadn’t set one up, and I would remember being billed as I am penniless and destitute*.

I did that a lot with mmos I didn’t get into the beta for.

I shall satisfy my TOR cravings with Sith Lords, methinks.

* Note: This is a lie. Except the part about remembering, as it would annoy me and stick with me, but I might have subbed and cancelled. It was a very long time ago.

12. Dina says:

I stuck with the queue and got in after 20 minutes.

13. Elltot says:

Not to snark but the website is fine for me!?!?

EDIT – Oh you are queued when you log in. Silly me.

14. Phinor says:

On a similar note, Steam has had rough couple of days. For example I haven’t been able to access community/my inventory for the past three hours even though it isn’t even close to peak hours. Stupid guru meditating all the time, I remember that fellow from my Amiga days. Why couldn’t he meditate somewhere else?

15. Jova says:

Well the site is down because they’re fixing an issue people have with their codes not working.

From SWTOR twitter: “The #SWTOR website login page is currently offline while we work to resolve key redemption and subscription issues.”

The website probably has a queue because of the vast amount of people who visit it and it’s better to queue the traffic than having the website going down.

Long queues in-game, well it’s pretty much expected with such a massively popular mmo being released. No one likes them but it’s nothing new in mmos.

16. barelyhomosapien says:

I got in, just tried to setup a subscription only for it to fail during payment processing.

If I wasn’t so keen to play this would not be worth the effort.

17. aircool says:

Everyone has just realised that you need to cough up a subscription before you can play your free 30 days. Hence the website being choka with people like me who thought that you didn’t need to activate a sub until the ‘free’ period was over. Pretty [idiot] really.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

More: If EA/Bioware didn’t make it clear then that’s stupid on their part. If not, well, then perhaps you can only subscribe since today? No? Well, if not, then it’s silly not to have subbed earlier.. if you want to play -now-, that is. Had I bought the game, I’d probably wait so I’d not be troubled by server queues as much.

• aircool says:

Nope. It says quite clearly on your account page the five steps you need to take to play the game. I was just being a lazy arse. I’m not complaining though, it’s kinda forced me to start wrapping the gf’s christmas pressies.

18. Ragabhava says:

And I thought that the first “Queue Simulator” would be a german game !

19. Spinks says:

Still, on the bright side, it encouraged me to go check out the Steam Xmas event and remember how much I like Defense Grid, even though I suck at it.

20. voidburn says:

Hope you never get past that queue, seriously, it’s 30 minutes since I’m trying to pick a payment method. Which bothers me btw, I have 27 days left on my box, I’d like to decide if they’re worthy of a subscription at the end of that period.

• aircool says:

Some games do this, just go through paypal then you can cancel the sub straight away if you want to wait until the non-sub period is over.

• voidburn says:

I’ll definitely do that, the one thing I’m glad of is that they have Paypal as a payment option.

21. Major Seventy Six says:

The queues have a sole purpose, channeling anger of exactly one person out of 2, this helps build their dark side, they will play better sith after spending hours in a queue.

If not, you can blame all your bad luck on the day YOU killed Lidya you monster.

22. barelyhomosapien says:

Well, I just managed to get subscribed and in.

Good luck to the rest! :)

23. Bhazor says:

All this just to play a Bioware Kotor? No thanks.

Now if it was the Obsidian Kotor with its sense of menace, character and constant sense of pursuit then…? Actually, no. My patience would have expired long ago.

• alexheretic says:

I would have to agree, although the “all this” itself is surly proof that many don’t.

• der jester says:

Obsidian KoTOR? You mean the one where they didn’t finish the ending so they just had a character tell you what happened?

24. Kapouille says:

That’s what happens when you let games developers make (online) games. :) I’m afraid you’ll have to be patient and wait until either:
    – the general interest in the game drops.
    – someone with actual experience of writing large scale online services steps in.
    – and/or ea throws enough boxes at it

On the plus side (for EA), this game seems to generate quite a lot of interest.

25. Lemming says:

Isn’t this just a fallacy though? They have multiple servers, why are people all trying to get on the same busy one? That’s just moronic. The whole ‘but all my friends are on server x..’ doesn’t even wash. It’s a brand new game, just get on somewhere you can play the damn thing. It sounds like a solo experience anyway.

• Fox89 says:

Because my guild is on Nightmare Lands. And if I go on another server, the guild will still be on nightmare lands. And how you figure that an MMO is a ‘solo thing’ is beyond me.

• Belsameth says:

Funny post from somebody called Lemming ;)

I had no queue last night btw. Here’s hoping tonight will be the same \o/

26. Fox89 says:

I officially retract my previously held sentiment of “Overall this has been a very good launch for Old Republic!”

I’ve been playing happily thanks to early access for four days. A couple of hours ago my retail copy arrived in the post, and now I’ve redeemed my code I can’t play. Nice.

And even though I intend to subscribe, I am pretty livid at being told to subscribe or pay for extra game time whilst I still have 29 days left on my account from buying the game. That had better be some kind of massive error and not official policy.

• mmalove says:

So in regards to this, their community response was absolute crap. The reasons they want to make sure you subscribe are two fold.

1. It’s a marketing slipdick game. They figure if they get your credit card now, rather than in 30 days, you’ll happily hand it over, rather than it be a decision. In 30 days you might be bored enough or fed up enough with their game service to not hand over your CC card for more game time. So they get you hooked up now, and put the onus on you to unsubscribe.

2. It’s an anti-spam tactic. Gold Spammers plague any MMO, and judging by their other failures I’d guess EA’s star wars is going to fight the same uphill battle with spammers as we’ve seen on other MMOs, until they work out some successful scripting to identify and stop the spam. Spammers have to get accounts by some means, and will typically take the lowest common denominator: in some cases that’s just shelling out 60 bucks for a boxed copy of the game. Requiring the CC card info ties that purchase back to a real person, so if they do something TOS violating like hack/bot/spam, there’s a way to hold a real person accountable. With game time cards you can maintain anonymity, but they then have you for at least another month’s charge.

• aircool says:

I’m sure lots of other games have made you register you credit card/whatever before allowing you to play the ‘free’ month of the game.

• Nick says:

Pretty much every sub based MMO ever has required you to do it.

27. Suits says:

I assume the ones who get in, tend not to log off

• Belsameth says:

Most likely correct. Also, the inactivity timeout boots you back to the character select screen, so doesn’t actually log you off. While I’m happy about it when using this myself, I also think this is a silly oversight on their part.

• Max.I.Candy says:

once that happens,you also have limited time in the character select screen before you are booted from that to.
      then you get booted back to server select.

28. Mordsung says:

To be fair:

Every MMO I’ve ever played, from UO to AC2 to DAOC to WoW to AoC, all of them, required the entry of your credit card or a time card before you got your 30 free days.

I actually don’t know of a single MMO that didn’t have this.

• Goomich says:

Eve online. Now you know one.

• Mordsung says:

I’m sure there are some, but they’re the exceptions, not the rule.

UO required a CC before you could play, as did AC, AC2, EQ, EQ2, WoW, AoC, DAOC, WAR, Rift, LotRO before it went F2P.

EvE is an oddity because they have no 30 day time deal, you don’t have to buy the box at all, you get 14 days free and then can buy a sub right away.

It’s not a valid comparison due to them using an entirely different model. They have a higher sub cost than most games, but no box cost.

• Belsameth says:

Eve is weird in many ways. If you download the trial you get to keeep your trial time if you sub right away as well.

• Goomich says:

Paying players can offer someone 21-day trial and since last update they’re also 60-day trial codes.

• Cradok says:

I didn’t have to enter payment details for UO when I got it in 2000, nor did I have to do it for CoH or STO. I can’t remember about WoW, though.

29. thegooseking says:

Someone posted this on the AO forums the other day. It was apropos of nothing, but it seems appropriate.

30. Zarunil says:

This is why I never pre-order MMOs. They usually have rocky launches where everyone gets to be a beta tester. I’ll let things calm down and stabilize a bit, get patched and such. By then there’s hopefully a free trial also, and plenty of reviews.

• anduin1 says:

but then you don’t get to make snarky comments in chat like “stop complaining, it was worse at launch”

31. somnolentsurfer says:

Never queued for a website? I guess John’s never tried to buy tickets for Glastonbury…

• aircool says:

I think he just digs a tunnel, or gets teleported from Stonehenge or something.

32. Thermal Ions says:

“The server has encountered an internal error…”

“You may now rejoin the back of the queue. Thank you and please enjoy your stay.”

33. kimded says:

(comment deleted by user)
    (reason: why bother trying…)

34. dfrankson says:

I preordered the CE on Amazon, and I still haven’t received the package. Really EA, only 2 days of grace period to allow for shipping, after I paid so much for the CE and you have proof that I preordered? I’m loving the game, hating the publisher. If only I was able to buy off Steam, I know they would protect me from this.

35. Mordsung says:

*rubes temples*

The five dollar preorder fee was removed from the game cost.

If you preordered, it cost 5+54.99

If you bought it today, it cost 59.99

36. ScubaMonster says:

As for setting up payment info when activating your key, I’m pretty sure WoW does that and just about every other pay to play MMO, so I’m not quite sure why that should be a ding on TOR.

• ScubaMonster says:

Can’t seem to edit my post now, but I’ll add that it should be easy enough to cancel after you activate your account to avoid being automatically billed. Yeah, they’ll still have your info stored somewhere but not the end of the world. If you’re that paranoid about your credit card info you probably shouldn’t be buying anything on the internet period.

I guess we just better hope to god they don’t pull an EA/Mythic and screw up the billing process so your card gets billed repeatedly for one month. That was a disaster, hopefully they have a different third party handling their billing than what they used for WAR.

37. Bennyjh says:

So… to gain access to my 30 days included play time, despite paying an additional £5 for the “privilege” to pre-order it, I can’t even play until I make a subscription!

Laaame

• strongfort says:

You didn’t pay an extra amount at all. That price was deducted from the total when you paid full. It’s standard for a pre-order.

And it’s also standard to require payment from people even for their free month.

• Milky1985 says:

In fairness it did say in big letters when buying it 39.99 + £5 pre order change.

So saying its the standard price is a bit much when at face value its does imply its an extra ammount!

38. Nick Ahlhelm says:

I think Blizzard should give kudos to EA/Bioware for guaranteeing that Star Wars: The Old Republic won’t be a challenge to WOW’s business.

• Mordsung says:

The nice thing is that anyone who leaves SWTOR right now over this minor problem, a problem that plagues every MMO at launch, the community will be better having purged the whining, impatient bitches.

A good purge is always nice.

• Goomich says:

Even nicer thing is that after those whiney bitches leave for better games and to spread word how this kotor game sucks, EA’s execs will be able to congratulate themself how well they predicted server load, how much money they saved, and pay out big bonus for christmas.

39. strongfort says:

I’ve been playing since the 2nd day of early access, and I have not had a single queue yet. I chose a low population server – as everyone should have when they got access.

The only reason the site is down is everyone waited until the last second to add payment info…if they had done this earlier it would not have been an issue.

• bigdeadbug says:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it?

I’m surprised that you have not encountered any queues (and probably means you playing on an obscure language server and/or at off peak times). That, sadly, isn’t the case for most and it’s understandable they wouldn’t be pleased about it. People aren’t that stupid and will have done what you have said (I did and still experience queues) but Bioware/EA have not handled the whole process well at all, I myself don’t mind waiting in a server queue at launch, but to then have your billing site down for the best part of a day is ridiculous. Especially when you consider they would have had a very good idea of how many people would visit the site and at what times.

• strongfort says:

@bigdeadbug: I picked a low population server, and I’ve heard one person say they had a 1 minute queue on it at one point. I play at peak times, and never saw one.

Also – people could have signed up for their payment earlier than today. It’s not really hindsight when they have been telling everyone for DAYS to go set up a payment sub so you don’t have any interruption in playtime! They said it on the front-page, forum stickies, twitter, etc…

People just love to blame others when they don’t get what they want. “It’s gotta be the big-bad-company’s fault that I didn’t do what they said I should days ago!”

• Milky1985 says:

Yes its peoples fault that there guild was assigned to a server that has massive queues, its not the corperations fault at all , you know , the people that assigned them….

• bigdeadbug says:

@strongfort: Well you’re an exception to the rule then since the vast majority of players who where in on or before the 15th have experienced queues of some length. Implying others didn’t have the where withal to do the same as you is a tad obnoxious, I doubt anyone on here specifically chose a high pop server over a low one and then proceeded to complain about the queues.

It is also the companies fault for not anticipating an influx as large as this and compensating it beforehand. They should be held accountable for providing a poor service to their customers just like any other company. Many people will have assumed they could have entered their payment options today without any hassle (It’s a large company after all they don’t have the limitations when it comes to servers etc.) so you are basically playing the role of captain high-sight at the moment.

You also miss the fact that people may have been told to subscribe earlier but it was not made clear that sitting in queues for the entire afternoon would be the ramification for not doing so.

• Milky1985 says:

Also some people might not have been able to subscribe earlier due to holiday delivery times if they ordered it from amazon et all

• amagrude says:

It’s been working great for me as well. I’ve seen a few queues, but nothing over 10 minutes of length and *very* in-line with what happens *every* WoW expansion pack.

Seriously though, EVERY TIME people have launched the game for WEEKS it’s been telling you to enter your codes and which codes you need to enter where.

This whole thing is just proof positive that a *vast* majority of people just don’t read what’s put in front of them. /SIGH.

• strongfort says:

@bigdeadbug: Oh no, I know there’s plenty of people with large queues and that sucks. It would be nice for SWTOR to open a transfer ability so they can move people over to the light-load servers that got opened up on Tuesday.

However, that being said – there are light load servers for people to join. And yes, it’s a shame the website can not handle the massive traffic it’s getting right now but there’s no doubt that they are working on that as fast as they possibly can – it takes time. Besides that, as I said – they’ve been telling people for many days to go sign up a sub now so this wouldn’t happen. The many many people that did that are playing happily instead of whining about the website.

And YES, although they didn’t specify the website would be crashed, they DID say to sign up early to prevent game-play interruptions… They 100% did warn properly.

There’s been so many whining baby brats on forums over the last weeks demanding they get to play, whining about the queues, complaining about the website. I’ve never seen more bratty self entitled children in my life. The fact is when I come onto my favorite (and only) game-related site I read I am appalled to see the same reaction on here.

• strongfort says:

@Milky1985 You are very correct there. That is actually one of the few very valid complaints. Not much you can do there if you want to be with that guild outside of convincing them to all swap to a different server. Perhaps they will allow some transfers to help even out the server loads.

40. subcetate85 says:

Waited in queue for the website so i can finally wait in a queue for the game.
    It is ridiculous but i’m enjoying the game too much to get angry over this.

On a side note, i did get an email from Bioware saying “If you have your Product Registration Code, redeem it now to ensure uninterrupted access to your game”. This i did. No mention of setting up a subscription to play the game. I think a lot of players assumed everything was in order after reading that email and redeeming the product code.

• strongfort says:

Actually they did mention setting up a subscription in all of their posts/announcements about the early game access “Grace Period”.

41. derbefrier says:

It seems no MMO is safe from launch issues. Hopefully this is all resolved by the time I get off work. I almost decided to wait a month before starting this game but this isn’t my first rodeo I knew to expect these kind of problems. I kinda laughed when I read about the website que never heard of that I guess it better than not being able to.access it at all though. As for server ques I guess I got lucky in choosing my server haven’t had to sit in a que yet

42. hjarg says:

However, this could have been perfectly avoided if the game would have let us have to play our 30 free days without demanding a subscription plan.
    They should have known launch time would get that crazy- and should have made a few simple changes like that to ease server load. Incompetence, pure incompetence.

43. Milky1985 says:

So the game really did cost £5 extra on top of the already inflated £40, good to know :/

“The preorder fee is to get around a certain legal function regarding purchases of products that don’t yet exist.”

Not seen other games have an issue with this but i think i can see the issue, a certain payment provider has been mentioned link with subscriptons that i imagine was also available for buying the game. A payment provider with a documented history of locking peoples accounts for no reason (or bad ones) and keeping the cash for unknown ammounts of time. Maybe they should not use this unregulated bunch of crap :p

Checked the site and apparently the pre-order costs 0 now (because they are idiots and remove the pre-order info with JS ), it disappears on page load, went via a google search, which took me to the US site, clicked buy it took me there.

link to tinypic.com

44. Hoaxfish says:

I’m always wary about entering payments, or any one-off code, into an unstable website… wouldn’t want to get billed multiple times, or told “code is already in use” (but not creditted to my account).

45. willkuer says:

Didn’t read through all this, cause you know… tldr XD. Just registered to let you guys know: I’m in Europe and picked up the game at retail yesterday. Had no problems redeeming the code and set up an account at about 10pm. Played till about 1am without trouble. Then it got choppy and laggy even though my German server was nearly empty upon signing up.
    Yes, you have to fill in a subscription to get your 30 days worth of free game time BUT you can cancel the sub after that and play anyway.
    No queues at login through the client, not even now (tried at about 4pm) but the website seems crowded. Hefty queues to log into the account but the self-refreshing page works now it seems.
    In game everything runs smooth as of today and the /stuck command works wonders – haven’t gotten stuck in geometry this often in any mmo before, so you’ll probably need to know that too.
    My patience with EA is getting very low already so I’m hoping everything stays functional and they don’t come in later with their Origin bullshit. As of now, one can choose not to install that crap. I hope it stays that way.
    That’s my report for now. HanShotFirst signing off.

• Elltot says:

Exactly the same experience as me, though I haven’t played today yet.

Was on the Ula Vii PVP server and had no problems whatsoever, no queues or noticeable lag. This game really does seem to have polarizing opinions.

46. alundra says:

The question that arises is, why are people still supporting EA and still getting surprised by stuff like this?

Well, two questions actually.

47. mod the world says:

Let me input my payment options! I need my shot of digital crack NOW!

48. DarkFenix says:

I’ve seen a lot of MMO launches, but this one takes the cake. Single most incompetent one I’ve ever seen.

Update: Oh fantastic, now they’re even taking my money, but still won’t let me into the fucking game. Subscription active, but the launcher insists I don’t have one. This is what I get for touching anything Bioware or EA have had a hand in I guess.

49. ashleywr says:

Blizzard has already implemented this a while back on the Battle.net website. EA is not the first to do a website queue. But I do agree, they should really be upgrading their servers if this is a problem.

50. Bingla says:

SHUT UP, take my money and LET ME PLAY THE GAME! No? Ok…